Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scarabeus – Pearl of Nile is available once again for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/id382167609?mt=8).
"Rediscover the all-time mobile puzzle-game classic in a shiny new iPhone version !
Scarabeus – Pearl of Nile is an award-winning, bright and creative puzzle game. Maneuver the turning cycles to collect all the colored balls through ancient Egyptian mechanisms, and unlock all the Pearls of the Nile to bring them back to the Pharaoh !"

Likewise, the puzzler Star Breaker has dropped to FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/star-breaker/id393308827?mt=8#).
"How to play:
The gameboard consists of a screen of differently-colored stars arranged in a matrix. There are five different colors. The player then clicks on any two or more connecting similarly-colored balls to eliminate them from the matrix, earning an appropriate number of points in the process. The more balls eliminated at once, the higher the points added to the player's score."

I deleted like... over 150 garbage free apps today. I feel so much better having cleaned up, now I have nothing but quality.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']I deleted like... over 150 garbage free apps today. I feel so much better having cleaned up, now I have nothing but quality.[/QUOTE]

yeah I'm reviewing a lot of the free apps before I bother downloading it. Just cuz it's free doesn't mean I need it.

Bought Spider and Peggle today. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

What are everyone's thoughts on Bookworm? I played it like crazy on the PC a few years ago, and thought it'd be a nice "quick" game for on-the-go. I'm seeing some complaints regarding the spotty dictionary and trouble getting the shake-to-scramble feature working. It's not exactly inspiring that they haven't updated it in a year.

Worth it for 99¢ ?

What are everyone's thoughts on Bookworm? I played it like crazy on the PC a few years ago, and thought it'd be a nice "quick" game for on-the-go. I'm seeing some complaints regarding the spotty dictionary and trouble getting the shake-to-scramble feature working. It's not exactly inspiring that they haven't updated it in a year.

Worth it for 99¢ ?

Get the pro version of iCopter FREE when you download the OpenFeint Free Game of the Day, iCopter Free (http://itunes.apple.com/app/icopter-free/id306096689?mt=8#).

"The best Copter game for the iPhone and iPod is now even better: Choose your copter, your difficulty, and your background. Even use your facebook account to submit your highscore online and compete against your friends!

Pilot your helicopter through a treacherous cave, avoiding obstacles in your way. Simply tap to fly up, and release to let gravity take the copter down. If you liked iCopter, you're going to love Copter Free!"

[quote name='Vegan']http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the link, Vegan. Doesn't seem that complicated, thanks to their handy guides. However, we're probably better off spending $200 to get a replacement phone tomorrow, than $100+ and having to wait for shipping and the risk of me screwing up the replair.

Thinking about super monkey ball 2 because it's on sale. Any CAGs know if the multiplayer works for the mini games too, monkey target, bowling, etc

[quote name='allyourblood']Bought Spider and Peggle today. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Worth it for 99¢ ?[/QUOTE]

I've never really had a problem with the dictionary and shake to scramble works fine for me. An update definitely wouldn't hurt though. Overall, it's worth downloading for $1, especially if you've been a fan of the game in the past.

Has anyone mentioned hill and rivers remain? I tried the lite and it's not bad.. On sale for $2 now. It's an rts game by sq enix. Debating on purchasing that mirror's edge. Lol problem is I'm not a fan of double dipping ME since I have it on steam bought for $5. Even though they're not really the same...

I beat Mirror's Edge already. Short game, but fun. I wouldn't consider it double dipping at all; it's much different from the console/PC version.

I've also been playing NHL 2K11 a bunch. Great hockey game. I can't imagine it being much better on a portable device.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']I deleted like... over 150 garbage free apps today. I feel so much better having cleaned up, now I have nothing but quality.[/QUOTE]
Yeah... I'm noticing all of these freebie games I'm downloading aren't that interesting.

I really should stop buying iPhone games because I rarely play them and I have too many already but Apple or at least the app developers know how to do the Steam effect thing pretty well.

Going to purchase Osmos, Bit.Trip Beat and maybe Spider making it 6-7 games purchased from this sale alone.

The Zuma-like Sparkle the Game is on sale for .99 for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/sparkle-the-game/id354123737?mt=8).

"Get ready to save Crowberry Woods in this brand-new version of a PC and Mac hit game! The basic game play is simple: tap where you want the orb to land. Try to match three orbs to make them disappear. Make several matches in row to receive powerups. Just don't let the orbs fall into the abyss!

You'll also discover over ten different powerful amulets throughout your journey. They change the rules of the game in your favor. For example, the Amulet of Firebolt empowers you with powerful fiery bolts - and there are many more!

Embark on an extraordinary journey to uncover the secrets of Crowberry Woods. Banish the darkness with your Orb Slinger and reclaim your land!"

Free App Calendar is featuring Lil Racerz Pro Rally today (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=391).

"FEATURES:
- 34 tracks
- 4 environments, Jungle, Desert, Snow and Tarmac
- 10 unlockable cars with Turbos
- Car Damage, dont crash too much or you'll find it hard to steer
- Sweet drifting physics
- Stunning retro graphics, mixed with cool 3d effects
- Collectible coins and a shop for upgrading cars
- Leaderboards and achievements
- 4 leagues of difficulty
- Smart AI players
- Loads of secret shortcuts
- Ramps for serious airtime
- Easily terrified sqishable spectators!
- Cool retro chiptune soundtracks"

[quote name='allyourblood']Bought Spider and Peggle today. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Worth it for 99¢ ?[/QUOTE]

If you like the PC game it is the exact same thing. Very fun game on the go, well worth the buck.

Anyone have any opinions on Metal Gear Solid Touch? No way I would pay 8 for it and wish I would have caught it at .99. At 1.99 would prolly grab it without question also but at 2.99 the reviews are not heartening. I realize it's not a traditional MGS game. Just was wondering if any CAGs had an opinion they would share.

Zap the aliens and collect your cash in Border Patrol 3000 A.D., currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/border-patrol-3000-a-d/id327469324?mt=8).

"Welcome to the Department of Homeworld Security! Your new job as **EARTH BORDER GUARD** has enjoyed a long tradition of only hiring the best and brightest. Congratulations! Your employee training follows:

- DO zap every alien
- DO NOT zap any space mans
- DO grab all space cash

This concludes your training. Welcome aboard!"

[quote name='Banjora']Anyone have any opinions on Metal Gear Solid Touch? No way I would pay 8 for it and wish I would have caught it at .99. At 1.99 would prolly grab it without question also but at 2.99 the reviews are not heartening. I realize it's not a traditional MGS game. Just was wondering if any CAGs had an opinion they would share.[/QUOTE]
From what I remember, MGS Touch is Metal Gear in name and character only. It's an on-rails shooter that's pretty fun but it's nothing like the console version of MGS. I picked it up at .99; I'd wait for the price to drop again if I was you.

^ I played the lite version a long time ago, so it might still be around if you want to check out how MGS plays. But yeah it's pretty fun. has the sound effects and music etc of MGS4 lol

Zenonia 1 and 2 are really tempting me...but I think I'll hold off on them and opt for the physical controls of the DSiWare versions instead. Still debating Doom Classic and Pac-man CE but it's hard to justify when I can just boot up the XBLA versions and probably have more fun.

Bought from this sale alone, all with iTunes credit courtesy of Energizer batteries:

Doom II RPG
Peggle
Spider
Bookworm
Osmos
Geometry Wars Touch
Castlevania Puzzle
Doom Resurrection
Mirror's Edge
Myst
The Oregon Trail
Star Wars: Cantina
Zombie Infection
Super Monkey Ball 2
Assassin's Creed II Discovery
Chuzzle

And nabbed Duke Nukem 3D for free. IGN reviewed it positively so for free, I'll definitely give it a try. Already own Civ Rev, RE4, and MLB Power Pros from free app of the day and contests on Twitter/FB.

This sale has really helped make my iPod Touch into a legitimate gaming device, and not just a jumbled mess of free garbage.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but UFO on Tape is awesome and is supposedly on a weekend-sale for $.99. Not sure what it's normal price will be. Very good use of the gyrometer or accelemeter (depending upon if you have an iPhone 4 or not) and it's addicting to see how long you can chase down the UFO.

Transformers G1: Awakening has dropped back down to .99 for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/transformers-g1-awakening/id339831441?mt=8).

"After 4 million years, a volcanic eruption awakens the TRANSFORMERS. Use the strengths of each AUTOBOT to defeat the DECEPTICONS in turn-based strategic battles. You must capture sources of Energon power to reactivate, repair or upgrade your TRANSFORMERS. Get ready for epic moments. This is more than meets the eye!

23 CHARACTERS FROM THE ORIGINAL SERIES
Use popular AUTOBOTS including BUMBLEBEE, OPTIMUS PRIME, RATCHET and IRONHIDE and try to defeat the most infamous DECEPTICON villains including MEGATRON, STARSCREAM, SOUNDWAVE and FRENZY! Each TRANSFORMER has unique properties with weaponry, strengths and weaknesses."

[quote name='ViolentLee']My wife dropped her iPhone 3Gs, all but destroying the screen. We've got an appointment with Apple tomorrow, but I'm wondering if anyone with this kind of experience can offer some advice?
Thanks![/QUOTE]

Yep, I fixed mine and you can too!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=098C0C5AFC192539

The screen has a little border that the original didn't have, but it cost me $40 instead of the $200 that the Apple Store wanted. It wasn't very hard really. I ordered my replacement stuff from Directfix

That said, thanks to everyone for the price drops for this weekend...I spent like $15 in 3 days...

[quote name='gr8asianman']I was checking out all the sales going on and saw that Mass Effect Galaxy dropped to $1.99 a couple weeks ago. Has anyone tried this game out?[/QUOTE]

It's short and very "meh" not worth that unless you are some crazy fan (which I am), it fills in how Jacob and Miranda know one another...

[quote name='Banjora']Says item is being modified when I tried to grab transformers.[/QUOTE]

Yep, already back up to $1.99 it looks like... 10 minutes? I guess it was a limited time...jeez

These sales made me realize one thing. I really do not need to buy games on iPhone, I rarely play them. I have been buying games at .99 cents only and I think it's not worth it for me to keep doing so. Even at .99 cents I have spent a lot of money and have never played some of these games. My top played games are Angry Birds, GeoDefence, Tilt to Live, Plants vs Zombies, Flick Football (free), iStunt and Peggle. All of these game work well with the iphone but I hate playing games with on screen controls. I think these games are good enough for me and will continue playing my DS and 360 for more games. iPhone games are great for 15-20 minutes of playtime but other than that I really need to save up for a 3DS. I am still going to check this thread for free games but I just don't think I can justify buying games even at .99 cents.

[quote name='eliter1']These sales made me realize one thing. I really do not need to buy games on iPhone, I rarely play them. I have been buying games at .99 cents only and I think it's not worth it for me to keep doing so. Even at .99 cents I have spent a lot of money and have never played some of these games. My top played games are Angry Birds, GeoDefence, Tilt to Live, Plants vs Zombies, Flick Football (free), iStunt and Peggle. All of these game work well with the iphone but I hate playing games with on screen controls. I think these games are good enough for me and will continue playing my DS and 360 for more games. iPhone games are great for 15-20 minutes of playtime but other than that I really need to save up for a 3DS. I am still going to check this thread for free games but I just don't think I can justify buying games even at .99 cents.[/QUOTE]

The truly good games on the iDevice are the ones without on screen virtual pad. The games you listed are the good ones that smartly use the touch screen.
Games that use the virtual pad will always be stuck in a "I wish I am a DS/PSP game" situation.

[quote name='miriamleo']The truly good games on the iDevice are the ones without on screen virtual pad. The games you listed are the good ones that smartly use the touch screen.
Games that use the virtual pad will always be stuck in a "I wish I am a DS/PSP game" situation.[/QUOTE]
There are some virtual pad games that I really love... Minigore is a fantastic game (and yes I know the virtual pad is invisible, but it's still a virtual pad). And there are other really fun twin-stick shooters. I also find the Bruce Lee fighter to be surprisingly good as well. I won't say the virtual pad works well all the time (there are plenty examples showing it doesn't), but I believe there are some really great games out there that use a virtual pad and use it well.

[quote name='eliter1']These sales made me realize one thing. I really do not need to buy games on iPhone, I rarely play them. I have been buying games at .99 cents only and I think it's not worth it for me to keep doing so. Even at .99 cents I have spent a lot of money and have never played some of these games. My top played games are Angry Birds, GeoDefence, Tilt to Live, Plants vs Zombies, Flick Football (free), iStunt and Peggle. All of these game work well with the iphone but I hate playing games with on screen controls. I think these games are good enough for me and will continue playing my DS and 360 for more games. iPhone games are great for 15-20 minutes of playtime but other than that I really need to save up for a 3DS. I am still going to check this thread for free games but I just don't think I can justify buying games even at .99 cents.[/QUOTE]

yea i noticed with onscreen controlled games, my fingers are always getting in the way of what's going on. which is a bit frustrating at times. only time i'm playing these games are if i'm traveling or waiting on the wife when she's shopping. i'm going to try and selectively pick only certain games from now on and not every free game.

The puzzler Shibuya has dropped to free.

http://appshopper.com/games/shibuya

Official Selection, PAX 10 Indie Showcase (Chosen by Penny Arcade and a panel of industry experts from hundreds of entries across all gaming platforms.)

-Entirely unique, addictive puzzle gameplay
-Crisp, atmospheric graphics
-5 licensed songs from Millionyoung.
-2 gameplay modes: Quickplay and Endless
-5 speed classes
-47 Achievements, the higher levels offering months of gameplay.
-Online world and friend rankings via OpenFeint
-Competition across a wide array of stats
-Shibuya is for iPhone/iPod, but plays great at 2x on iPad!

Just got Gun Range for the new Retina Display Ipod Touch, And OMG!

the retina Display and new LED LCD really make a world of difference.

Side by side to my buddies 3rd gen Ipod Touch everything looks like it has Blueish tint.

now wonder ebay and Craigslist are flooded with people trying to unload used older 3rd gen iPod Touch units yikes what bad display.

and wit the new 45nm 1Ghz CPU everything loads easily 3 times faster amazing.

With Face Time and Google Voice calls, Its basically an iPhone

I get more calls on my iPod Touch with Face Time than on my real cell phone.

Oh puh-lease. The 4th gen iPod touch display doesn't come close to the iPhone 4's IPS display, and you can't really say it's "basically an iPhone." It doesn't make phone calls! Or have a GPS! Or, you know... make phone calls! :p

[quote name='WilliamG']Oh puh-lease. The 4th gen iPod touch display doesn't come close to the iPhone 4's IPS display, and you can't really say it's "basically an iPhone." It doesn't make phone calls! Or have a GPS! Or, you know... make phone calls! :p[/QUOTE]
What, other than a slightly wider viewing angle, makes the iPhone screen better than the iPod 4th Gen screen?

[quote name='WilliamG']Oh puh-lease. The 4th gen iPod touch display doesn't come close to the iPhone 4's IPS display, and you can't really say it's "basically an iPhone." It doesn't make phone calls! Or have a GPS! Or, you know... make phone calls! :p[/QUOTE]

You do get calls using FaceTime just accept the Request just like answering a call.

And while its not as good as the iPhone 4's IPS display, the Quality and colors are the same

The IPS only has better viewing angles thats all.

Thew new iPod Touch with FaceTime and its Retina Display is a huge improvement over the older generation both in speeds and in image quality and color vibrancy not to mention better ms response and motion no more blur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6-EZ9-sqUQ

there are tons of video on YouTube showing this.

And because the older iPod Touch models used a 65nm CPU and slower RAM.

The 4th Gen with FaceTime use a more energy efficient 45nm CPU and Faster RAM so it takes less time to do things therefore increasing battery life.

watch the video.

or have a 2-year contract to ATT + $200 for the device. We know the screen is not the same as the iPhone, but for what it is, the resolution and dpi, plus higher capacity for my dedicated PMP is great.

Sure it does, with VoIP. I live in Arizona, which isn't really the technology center of the world and I find free WiFi spots nearly everywhere I go. It's not nearly as convenient or comparable, of course... but I also don't have to pay a ridiculous monthly fee to use it as a phone. ;)

I love my iPod Touch.

I have at&t DSL therefore at any Starbucks I have free WiFi. Boom Free VOIP calls.

Using FaceTime I get free Video Calling.

Using Google Voice you get instant Text Messages.

Steve Jobs was not kidding when he said its an iPhone with out the phone or Contracts or$80 monthly price.

Put a black silicone sleeve on it, and an SGP Oleophobic screen shield.

And its awesome. Few people realize how ineffcient the old 65nmARM cpu was on the 3G models.

45nm is 30% more energy efficient. And you get 40 hours of music play vs 30 hours on 2gen on 3rd gen models.

And its 1Ghz in speed.

Theres a reason the new iPhone 4G with FaceTime has a new entry in Settings it now has Ring Tones !

You can easily get by now with a "dumb phone now" and a Ipod 4th gen as a phone/PDA/video conferencing device.

[quote name='aznguyen316']or have a 2-year contract to ATT + $200 for the device.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but the IPT is still pretty pricey @ $300 for the 32gb version. Granted, it's awesome (I have one for the kids), but ouch.

[quote name='MrYouTube']I have at&t DSL therefore at any Starbucks I have free WiFi. Boom Free VOIP calls.[/quote]

Note: As of July 1 this year, everyone gets free wi-fi at Starbucks regardless of what internet provider they have.

[quote name='MrYouTube']Put a black silicone sleeve on it, and an SGP Oleophobic screen shield. [/quote]

I've got a decent sleeve for my kid's IPT, but need screen shields for my wife's and my iPhone 4. Where do you find this SGP Oleophobic screen shield? I Googled it, and got reviews, but can't seem to find any stores that carry it, unless it's under something else?

[quote name='microcuts777']It's short and very "meh" not worth that unless you are some crazy fan (which I am), it fills in how Jacob and Miranda know one another...[/quote]
I'm a fan of ME, although I haven't really found the time to get into ME2 yet, but I guess I'll wait until it drops down to .99 again. Thanks.

[quote name='dimsdale']Transformers G1: Awakening has dropped back down to .99 for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/transfor...339831441?mt=8).[/quote]
Oh, I was just looking at this yesterday too. Glad I waited, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back