iPhone, iPad & iOS Discussion -- White iPhone on Sale 4/28

i just search the iphone4 case app to see if my review was on there. theres no reviews for the app now. i guess apple didnt take too kindly to the number of negative reviews they no doubt were getting.

anyone have any experience with any of the clear cases? I imagine that they are hard plastic. But i hate the ones that fit loosely on the phone allowing it to shake in the case causing little scratches.

My wife had the griffin reveal before she got the otterbox. Very snug fit. I have the zagg front/back and it doesn't fit right on my phone which should tell you how tight it fits.

[quote name='Malik112099']My wife had the griffin reveal before she got the otterbox. Very snug fit. I have the zagg front/back and it doesn't fit right on my phone which should tell you how tight it fits.[/QUOTE]
well i guess the reveal is out of the question as i have a full body zagg on it.

[quote name='bsesb2003']One thing that this does it that it really hurts the 3rd party case makers that are not on the list.[/QUOTE]

Are you reall crying for these case makers who charge 50 bucks for a piece of plastic?

[quote name='Malik112099']Shosh, with the zagg on the back, any case that isn't only a bumper won't fit right. That's why I'm getting the vapor4.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've decided on the bumper.

Anyone know how to turn off auto spell on the iPhone? It's really killing me when I don't look and it spells out a completely different word.

[quote name='shosh']Anyone know how to turn off auto spell on the iPhone? It's really killing me when I don't look and it spells out a completely different word.[/QUOTE]

settings > general > keyboard

[quote name='Malik112099']settings > general > keyboard[/QUOTE]

Thx
Sick of trying to use slang or abbreviations only to get something completely. Different

The phone learns. After hitting the little "x" next to what it wants to correct the word to a few times it learns not to try to correct that word anymore. I only have to type the first 3 letters of my last name now and it automatically pops up.

[quote name='Malik112099']The phone learns. After hitting the little "x" next to what it wants to correct the word to a few times it learns not to try to correct that word anymore. I only have to type the first 3 letters of my last name now and it automatically pops up.[/QUOTE]

It learns it? Wow, isn't that high tech.

[quote name='shosh']It learns it? Wow, isn't that high tech.[/QUOTE]

not really..but its a nice feature to be able to add to the built in dictionary. ;)

[quote name='Malik112099']not really..but its a nice feature to be able to add to the built in dictionary. ;)[/QUOTE]
it would've been smarter to have a word pop up and then you touch the bubble, not when a word comes up and it spells it out for you when you hit the space bar. i think safari did this on desktop when typing a web address and that annoyed the crap out of me.

Anyone know which of the third party free cases will work with fatter and angled plug headphones? I'm pretty sure the bumper case will not. Also any thoughts on quality.

Also the 4.0.1 update was only supposed to change the display of bars, not do anything else. It changed it so the display of bars isn't skewed heavily toward 5 bars, which it was before (see Anandtech.com review). Also madethe smaller bars slightly taller, for obvious reasons - you'll see fewer bars then before generally, so to reduce the "bar shock". :). On the other hand you'll also see fewer bars drop since the scale is more even.

Or at least I thought that was the only change, when did they add the feature where words can be selected and it pops up more choices for that word - I like that.

[quote name='crunchewy']I picked the Griffin Reveal Etch. Hopefully it will work with my headphones.[/QUOTE]

My wife had the griffin reveal (clear back) and it worked fine with my 3rd party headphones.

Interesting news: http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/26/library-of-congress-adds-dmca-exception-for-jailbreaking-or-root/

This is a wild one, and we're still parsing through the announcement, but on the surface it looks like the Library of Congress has added new anti-circumvention exceptions to the DMCA that, among other things, allow people to tweak their handsets for the purpose of installing legally obtained software -- known as jailbreaking in iOS land, and rooting in the Android / webOS world.

Yeah, saw that news. That's good news. However my old 3GS was never jailbroken and as far as I can tell the current jailbreak requires that your phone to have been jailbroken before. Hopefully they can find a way to do that. I'm not that interested in jailbreaking my iPhone 4, but I wouldn't mind messing around with it on the 3GS, plus I'd like to unlock it in case I choose to sell it.

does that news really matter all that much? apple will still void your warranty if the happened to find out. was everyone really scared the feds would break down your door and throw you in the hole.

What problem? (i was bored)

AxZAw.jpg

[quote name='shosh']It learns it? Wow, isn't that high tech.[/QUOTE]
Nah, my first smart phone (the first windows mobile HTC slider that Cingular was selling) was doing that like 6 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those adapters aren't an elegant solution, especially if you've got an angled plug, so I want to avoid that. My Case-Mate Gelli case works OK with my headphones, but the TPC plastic around the headphone jack has stretched from it and now doesn't look so good.

Anyway I've got 8 to 10 weeks before I find out if the Reveal Etch will be better! >:eek:

I just got a shipping notice on the free bumper this morning, with a latest delivery date of next Tuesday.

Not a bad turnaround time. I think it said something like late August, beginning of September when I ordered, so this was a nice suprise.

Got my Otterbox Defender case today.

Looks like it's going to work out nicely. About the *only* issue I have with it is I think the bottom cover could be a better fit. All the others seem to work well.

Plus, it looks like it could take a ton of abuse now and hold up just fine (not that I'll be testing that, of course).

Rig, any chance you could take some pictures of the Otterbox case opened up so I could see how the iPhone 4 fits in there. Also is that back circle covered or an open hole for the Apple Logo?

[quote name='Owen']Rig, any chance you could take some pictures of the Otterbox case opened up so I could see how the iPhone 4 fits in there. Also is that back circle covered or an open hole for the Apple Logo?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, unless I absolutely *must* take my iPhone back out, I think I'm keeping it in the case. I considered making an unboxing video, but, was too lazy to get my camera. Sorry.

Essentially, you have two plastic pieces; the iPhone slides down into the front plastic piece, and the two pieces snap together. Then, the soft shell covers up the plastic shell. Has worked quite well so far today.

And yes, the screen and the Apple logo on back are both covered by the case.

[quote name='Rig']Sorry, unless I absolutely *must* take my iPhone back out, I think I'm keeping it in the case. I considered making an unboxing video, but, was too lazy to get my camera. Sorry.

Essentially, you have two plastic pieces; the iPhone slides down into the front plastic piece, and the two pieces snap together. Then, the soft shell covers up the plastic shell. Has worked quite well so far today.

And yes, the screen and the Apple logo on back are both covered by the case.[/QUOTE]
does that add a lot of bulk to the phone? it looks like its huge

[quote name='shosh']does that add a lot of bulk to the phone? it looks like its huge[/QUOTE]

It's heavier, yes, and a bit larger all around. But, I can still slide it in and out of my pants pocket easily.

I could definitely see some people not liking the additional weight, however.

[quote name='Owen']You mention the screen being covered, do you mean it comes with its own screen protector or just the top and bottom being covered.[/QUOTE]

The front plastic case (that snaps together with the back piece) has a plastic screen on it. So, the iPhone screen is completely covered by the plastic clear covering.

Actually, check Youtube for some videos. The 3G/3GS Defender cases are very similar to this one.

I'm OK with my Case-Mate Gelli as far as how much thickness and weight it adds to the iPhone 4 (very little). Anything more is going to bother me. I have a battery/case combo for my 3GS, but I stopped using it shortly after I tried taking the iPhone 3GS out again and found myself revelling in slimness and light weight of it. It was impossible to go back.

[quote name='jacknicklson']I'm considering going naked again, the fact that nothing works with the bumper aside from official cables is annoying[/QUOTE]

I was naked (except for a full zagg) on my 3G and now with my iphone 4. i love it but am getting sick of not being able to hold the phone naturally in areas with less than perfect cell coverage.

So, my phone started with the "No SIM card installed" message today. This is the second time that's happened. Couldn't get it to go away for about four or five hours at work this afternoon. I called Apple, and since I'm 65 miles away from the nearest store (one-way), they are going to overnight me a new unit. Usually, they charge $29 for the shipping, but I was able to have that waived.

So, hopefully unit #2 won't have that issue. (Hopefully it's not my SIM card...but since it's a known issue, I bet it's the phone.)

[quote name='Rig']So, my phone started with the "No SIM card installed" message today. This is the second time that's happened. Couldn't get it to go away for about four or five hours at work this afternoon. I called Apple, and since I'm 65 miles away from the nearest store (one-way), they are going to overnight me a new unit. Usually, they charge $29 for the shipping, but I was able to have that waived.

So, hopefully unit #2 won't have that issue. (Hopefully it's not my SIM card...but since it's a known issue, I bet it's the phone.)[/QUOTE]

was that with your iphone 4? i had that happen with my 3g before, but a restart always fixed the issue.

bread's done
Back