iPhone, iPad & iOS Discussion -- White iPhone on Sale 4/28

[quote name='Malik112099']
Seriously? I never dropped anywhere close to 2-3 calls a day on my 3G. Maybe 2 or 3 a week. I find this hard to believe. You sound like those people who say they have been through 15 xbox 360s[/QUOTE]

A good bit of that is the atrocious 3G service we have in ATL. I was told by a former BellSouth/Cingular employee that the 3G network infrastructure is insufficient for the existing user base.

The rest is probably just the iPhone in general. My first gen EDGE iPhone didn't have this problem. It performed nearly as good as any of the Motorola or Nokia "dumb" phones I had, in terms of signal and call drops but call quality is another story.

When I got my 16gb 3G it got worse and then I decided to start waiting before my upgrades. I've sat out 2 now, and am very pleased having done so.

There used to be a video of Wolf Blitzer, off camera, talking about AT&Ts terrible service and the old "fewest dropped calls" commercials on youtube but I can't find it now. His profanity and stifled anger sums up a lot of what our local AT&T users feel.

[quote name='Viol8tor']
Edit: The ONE issue i do have is that my phone suffers from a yellow mark/stain on the screen. Its about the size of the top of a pencils eraser, located at the bottom left corner. It's very faded color, but noticeable when looking at a white webpage (or white text/messages inbox, for example). There was initial reports that it would disappear with time...but it's now been 3 weeks. Should i ask for an exchange via an ATT store or apple store? Anyone here have the same issue?

Loaded questions i know guys, but any advice would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

If it's visible, go to the apple store, the glue that caused this on early devices should be dried by now. They'll probably just give you a replacement.

[quote name='Malik112099']That sucks for you. One would think there would be better service in a large area like that.[/QUOTE]

The large areas tend to be the worst, because AT&T can't keep up with the sheer volume of traffic. Right after I got my 3G, we went through about a month here in the DC area where it was really hard to get a connection about 90% of the time. I very nearly returned the phone then, but they fixed it (presumably by adding more towers) just before I reached that point.

For a week or two after I got my iPhone 4, it looked like we were going to go through that again, but they got the network back up to speed a lot faster this time.

[quote name='Viol8tor']Edit: The ONE issue i do have is that my phone suffers from a yellow mark/stain on the screen. Its about the size of the top of a pencils eraser, located at the bottom left corner. It's very faded color, but noticeable when looking at a white webpage (or white text/messages inbox, for example). There was initial reports that it would disappear with time...but it's now been 3 weeks. Should i ask for an exchange via an ATT store or apple store? Anyone here have the same issue?

Loaded questions i know guys, but any advice would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

My first iPhone 4 had that issue. I took it back to the Apple Store and they exchanged it with very little difficulty.

after updating my phone to 4.0.1 the reception at my work is accurately reflected. ive gone from 4-5 bars before the update to 1-2 bars after the update (sometimes it wille go up to 3). annoying, i still swear reception was better and data faster on my 3g.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']after updating my phone to 4.0.1 the reception at my work is accurately reflected. ive gone from 4-5 bars before the update to 1-2 bars after the update (sometimes it wille go up to 3). annoying, i still swear reception was better and data faster on my 3g.[/QUOTE]

Annoying that it's actually accurate now? ;)

Personally, I think it may end up being a good thing. I'm hoping that people seeing all of these bars drop off will cause enough of an outcry that AT&T will have to upgrade their network to bring the service actually up to the level that people are expecting.

[quote name='arcane93']Annoying that it's actually accurate now? ;)

[/QUOTE]

i prefer my reception delusion. maybe im just blinded by the reception hype, but i wish i had my 3g still so i could do a side by side test of data rates.

[quote name='arcane93']The large areas tend to be the worst, because AT&T can't keep up with the sheer volume of traffic. Right after I got my 3G, we went through about a month here in the DC area where it was really hard to get a connection about 90% of the time. I very nearly returned the phone then, but they fixed it (presumably by adding more towers) just before I reached that point.

For a week or two after I got my iPhone 4, it looked like we were going to go through that again, but they got the network back up to speed a lot faster this time.[/QUOTE]

I live in the LA area and service here is great.

My email is still not working 100% right. I click update and nothing happens but if I back out and into another folder it initiates a download and that syncs the entire account. Shouldn't hitting the refresh button do that? It's annoying because a lot of times I have what looks like an unopened message on the home screen that I have actually read.

Its gotten to the point where my wife doesn't even want to answer my calls because 80% of them end up dropped, echo, or static so I initiated the return process on my 4 today. I'll be going back to my jailbroken 3G and finish off my original contract. I might just stick with AT&T month to month for a while, or I might jump ship to Verizon and get an X or Incredible in August after my contract ends.

[quote name='Alcedes']If it's visible, go to the apple store, the glue that caused this on early devices should be dried by now. They'll probably just give you a replacement.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='arcane93']My first iPhone 4 had that issue. I took it back to the Apple Store and they exchanged it with very little difficulty.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help. Will do.

Gonna get the Otterbox tonight.

Wonder if I'll be able to get the free case, and find somebody that will buy it. (Yeah, somebody living under a rock.)

EDIT: $44.95 (and free FedEx shipping) after coupon code: techbargains6100p.

Yeah, but... we all know AT&T is a shitty service, it's obvious on all phones the bars will drop like that. :roll:

[quote name='Malik112099']The iPhone can use any iPod charger.[/QUOTE]

Eehh... I dunno about that. I'd make sure... I had a 2g touch and none of the stuff would work on my 3g, or was it 1g to 2g...

[quote name='VipFREAK']Eehh... I dunno about that. I'd make sure... I had a 2g touch and none of the stuff would work on my 3g, or was it 1g to 2g...[/QUOTE]

i have used the same charger on an iphone 3G, iphone 4, 1st gen touch and an ipod classic among others. As long as it has that 30 pin connector dock they will all work...hell i recently synced my iphone 4 with this cable: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TW379LL/A

they all work on all versions that accept the same connector

[quote name='Malik112099']As long as it has that 30 pin connector dock they will all work[/QUOTE]

No. They won't. I would not have asked the question if I hadn't already run into an issue of a previous car charger not working with the 4.

[quote name='Psykoboy2']No. They won't. I would not have asked the question if I hadn't already run into an issue of a previous car charger not working with the 4.[/QUOTE]

let me rephrase....every single one will work as long as you are utilizing a usb port.

[quote name='Malik112099']let me rephrase....every single one will work as long as you are utilizing a usb port.[/QUOTE]

Ah now that makes a bit more sense. See, I'm going from a 1st gen to a 4. When a buddy of mine upgraded to 3gs, his stopped working (not sure of the brand but it isn't usb...it's just a charger with the 30 pin connector) and gave it to me. Well, I tried it with the 4 after I upgraded and got nothing.

I'll try again with the usb method.

Got my AT&T bill today. I noticed that the bill was around $18 more than it usually is. Looked it over and they charged me the upgrade fee for my wife's phone. I give them a call, tell them whats up and they are like did she upgrade to an iPhone 4 on June 15th? I say yes and they are like thats what its for. I tell her about upgrading early to the iphone 4 and not being charged the fee since I already had an iPhone and she tells me that is for the primary line. The other lines on the plan will always get charged the fee regardless. Super. I let it go. All I could think about was the Apple guy replacing my wife's phone for free a few days ago so I figured eating $18 isnt a big deal....

/rant

apple has started to automatically process refunds for people who bought bumpers. sounds like its only through people who bought it through the apple website so far. still no word ordering bumbers/cases or refunds for people who bought them in stores.

I returned my iPhone 4, first day back on the 3G and it feels like I'm blind. Man do I miss the clarity of the 4...but at least my calls aren't dropping now.

[quote name='Malik112099']Got my AT&T bill today. I noticed that the bill was around $18 more than it usually is. Looked it over and they charged me the upgrade fee for my wife's phone. I give them a call, tell them whats up and they are like did she upgrade to an iPhone 4 on June 15th? I say yes and they are like thats what its for. I tell her about upgrading early to the iphone 4 and not being charged the fee since I already had an iPhone and she tells me that is for the primary line. The other lines on the plan will always get charged the fee regardless. Super. I let it go. All I could think about was the Apple guy replacing my wife's phone for free a few days ago so I figured eating $18 isnt a big deal....

/rant[/QUOTE]
There's always that fee when you extend your contract. It's like a mini upgrade fee which is stupid since they lock you in another two years. Cell phone dealers are getting as bad as car dealers with all the fees.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I returned my iPhone 4, first day back on the 3G and it feels like I'm blind. Man do I miss the clarity of the 4...but at least my calls aren't dropping now.[/QUOTE]

Did you need an actual receipt or do they just go by serial number? My friend picked up an iPhone 4 off a guy on craigslist.

[quote name='Kendro']Did you need an actual receipt or do they just go by serial number? My friend picked up an iPhone 4 off a guy on craigslist.[/QUOTE]

I didn't need a physical receipt, but they did look up my order online to process the refund. One was done at the AT&T store last night (purchased from ATT.com), and the 2nd phone (mine) was dropped off at FedEx today to go back to Apple (Purchased at online Apple store).

What's up with your friend's phone? If it's not tied to a contract he can probably make some cash selling it on eBay.

[quote name='Kendro']Did you need an actual receipt or do they just go by serial number? My friend picked up an iPhone 4 off a guy on craigslist.[/QUOTE]

Jesus, what did he pay? Close to a grand?

[quote name='shosh']There's always that fee when you extend your contract. It's like a mini upgrade fee which is stupid since they lock you in another two years. Cell phone dealers are getting as bad as car dealers with all the fees.[/QUOTE]

The fee was waived for people who already had an iphone. I was never told that only the primary phone's fee would be waived which is why I called.

Got my wife's otterbox defender case. I am really impressed with how nice this case is. I did not like how bulky and ugly the otterbox was for the 3G/3GS but this one is really solid and good looking.

It's a rounded off brick... It's pretty easy to "design" a case for it as apposed to the 3g. With that said anyone involved with "designing" had/has the easiest job. It's real sad that they are seen as "revolutionary" too...

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I didn't need a physical receipt, but they did look up my order online to process the refund. One was done at the AT&T store last night (purchased from ATT.com), and the 2nd phone (mine) was dropped off at FedEx today to go back to Apple (Purchased at online Apple store).

What's up with your friend's phone? If it's not tied to a contract he can probably make some cash selling it on eBay.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shosh']Jesus, what did he pay? Close to a grand?[/QUOTE]

He paid $680. The douche seller included 1st gen iPod headphones and wrapped it up so he couldn't tell there wasn't a mic.

He regrets his purchase since he already has a Blackberry tied to a T-Mobile contract so we're wondering if he can just get a cash refund.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']you can now order your free case or bumper. you have to download an app from the app store and order it from your phone.

i see 7 cases to choose from (all black or clear) and the apple bumper.

details here
http://www.apple.com/iphone/case-program/[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Just ordered the bumper. It was super easy.

[quote name='javeryh']Thanks. Just ordered the bumper. It was super easy.[/QUOTE]

Same. Though, locating that app wasn't as easy as I thought. I assume it just hasn't hit the main screen yet.

I don't care enough to research the cases, and wasn't going to have one until this came up, so I just went with the bumper.

yeah, its odd that its not on the main screen for apps, but i found it easy enough through search.

ended up ordering the incase snap case (clear). 3-5 weeks for shipping, guess i cant complain for free.

edit: after ordering i deleted the app and rated it 1 star.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Thats cool that they have already credited back customers who purchased with a credit card[/QUOTE]

As much hate as they get, Apple takes care of their customers. Their rebate checks for free ipods for school also arrive super fast.

bread's done
Back