iPhone, iPad & iOS Discussion -- White iPhone on Sale 4/28

there are several RSS apps that you could look into. a lot of gaming websites also have mobile versions of their websites. i.joystiq.com for example, safari is probably your best bet.

I'm wondering if they will offer a $30 credit or something like that, versus providing a free bumper. That way you could either buy the bumper case or a 3rd party case, whatever you want (as long as they have it in their store.) Or even buy something completely unrelated if you have a case or want to get a case elsewhere. I think that would be the best thing they could do, short of a recall and redesign/adding of a coating.

Incidentally, I don't think the costs that have been mentioned for a recall would be quite as bad as stated - it's not like the recalled phones would go into the dumpster. They could use the returned iPhone 4's as refurbs. Indeed, they could apply whatever change they were going to make to those returned phones (and go through the usual refurbishment process), then give them to somebody else who wants to exchange. Or just keep them in stock for other warranty returns/replacements. Plus there will be some who don't want to bother with an exchange because they are fine with how it is now. I'd do the exchange even though I'm happy with mine as-is, though, just because if it makes it even better I'm all for that.

the costs would still be huge since issuing a recall means that they need to give a refund or have a fix readily available. I doubt a $30 credit would be given since it is estimated that it would cost Apple around $1 per bumper to give to customers

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm wondering if they will offer a $30 credit or something like that, versus providing a free bumper. That way you could either buy the bumper case or a 3rd party case, whatever you want (as long as they have it in their store.) Or even buy something completely unrelated if you have a case or want to get a case elsewhere. I think that would be the best thing they could do, short of a recall and redesign/adding of a coating.

Incidentally, I don't think the costs that have been mentioned for a recall would be quite as bad as stated - it's not like the recalled phones would go into the dumpster. They could use the returned iPhone 4's as refurbs. Indeed, they could apply whatever change they were going to make to those returned phones (and go through the usual refurbishment process), then give them to somebody else who wants to exchange. Or just keep them in stock for other warranty returns/replacements. Plus there will be some who don't want to bother with an exchange because they are fine with how it is now. I'd do the exchange even though I'm happy with mine as-is, though, just because if it makes it even better I'm all for that.[/QUOTE]
it would be awesome if they relieved us of our contract.

but more realistically, im hoping for a recall and have them actually fix it. if its something stupid im gonna return my phone out of principal.

[quote name='crunchewy']Indeed, they could apply whatever change they were going to make to those returned phones (and go through the usual refurbishment process), then give them to somebody else who wants to exchange.[/QUOTE]

I know that I wouldn't be ok with that. I bought a new phone, not a refurb. If I have to trade my phone in because of Apple's screw up, I expect a new phone in return. A refurb would not be acceptable.

[quote name='Malik112099']I doubt a $30 credit would be given since it is estimated that it would cost Apple around $1 per bumper to give to customers[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think it's still entirely feasible, because no matter what you buy from Apple with a $30 credit, it's not actually costing them $30. If you buy a bumper, they come out the same either way. If you buy a dock or a charging cable -- those actually probably cost Apple less to make than a bumper does. And if you put the credit toward an iPad or a laptop or something -- well, then they really come out ahead. In most customer cases, a credit would probably come out the same or better for Apple than even a free bumper would -- limit the credit to actual Apple products, and not third party products that they stock, and it almost certainly does.

[quote name='shosh']it would be awesome if they relieved us of our contract.[/QUOTE]

Ain't gonna happen. Your contract is with AT&T, not with Apple. The only way that's happening is if you return your phone entirely before the return period is up.

[quote name='arcane93']I know that I wouldn't be ok with that. I bought a new phone, not a refurb. If I have to trade my phone in because of Apple's screw up, I expect a new phone in return. A refurb would not be acceptable.[/QUOTE]

Prepare to be disappointed then, because Apple only gives refurbs as replacements, but I would encourage you not to worry about this. In fact, to celebrate it. I've bought Apple products for many years now and I can say with absolute confidence that the best quality you will get from Apple comes from their refurbished (by Apple) products, not new ones.

I've been recommending refurbs to friends and family for years as well and all of them have worked great for them. Also you need to understand how they go about refurbishing a product. They replace the battery with a new one, they replace any bad parts with new, they replace the case with a new one. Really the only original parts are pretty much the guts of the product, minus any parts that needed replacing.

On top of that they then go through the full testing process all over again which means that most of the product has been tested fully twice, instead of just once. And you get the full warranty, not a limited one. I consider their refurb products to be better then their new ones, no question about it. In fact, one of the reasons I would do such an exchange is just so I end up with a refurbished iPhone 4. I would have waited and bought one refurbished except that the iPhone is the one product they sell that they don't offer refurbished ones for sale.

Incidentally, one of the only recent new purchases I've made (other then my iPhone 4) was the 3GS, and my new 3GS died an early death. I got a refurb replacement that looked brand new and it worked flawlessly ever since.

[quote name='crunchewy']Prepare to be disappointed then, because Apple only gives refurbs as replacements, but I would encourage you not to worry about this. In fact, to celebrate it. I've bought Apple products for many years now and I can say with absolute confidence that the best quality you will get from Apple comes from their refurbished (by Apple) products, not new ones.[/QUOTE]

Hmm..a few days ago they gave me a brand new replacement for my wife's water damaged iphone 4...what say you to THAT!?

Read the article? I'm not sure if what it says is feasible, so file it under rumor.

Also, I am typing/posting this message from a location where I have NEVER had a signal before.

I say that to preface this - I think, if there is an internal improvement they are going to make, and they are going to offer exchanges, I think apple will come out right off the bat and say they shipped a lemon. I think they'll do this because it will make headlines like never before and nip all the bad press in the bud immediately and make them look human.

You heard it here first. Posted from a location I never could post from before. ;)

And at the back of this restaurant I've still got a signal. The iPhone 4 is a big improvement as-is, and so much better then it has been nade out to be in the media. But I'll take an even better one too, no questions asked.

And able to stream audio here (Indie Pop Rocks). Oh, "defective" iPhone 4, why do you taunt me so?

I don't think they literally mean a "bumper". I think mean some internal electrical change that limits the effect if the attenuation. I haven't the slightest idea if that's possible. Anyway, back to my never before heard in this spot audio stream. Damnable iPhone!

[quote name='perdition(troy']Don't upgrade to 4.0.1 if you plan on jailbreaking/unlocking in the future[/QUOTE]

Don't the hackers stay on top of the current OS for jailbreaking?

[quote name='crunchewy']I say that's surprising! :) It was a boxed one with all the bits? Maybe they are going out of their way to make people happy now?

Also, rumor has it that a physical fix is in the works, presumably to be announced tommorrow:

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/globe-...e-iphone-4-fix/article1641215/?service=mobile

Unverifiaboe, of course. I just saw this posted to twitter. :)[/QUOTE]
so they might actually fix it.

so i should save my zagg screen protector for now if they repair it? what about people who wasted 30 bucks at the att store, i wonder if zagg would replace theirs.

apparently Apple didn't know about this issue because they had a case around the iPhone 4 while testing it so no one would discover it was the new model. So say some reports I have now read. Shitty situation for them, of course.

[quote name='shosh']so they might actually fix it.

so i should save my zagg screen protector for now if they repair it? what about people who wasted 30 bucks at the att store, i wonder if zagg would replace theirs.[/QUOTE]

There is no internal fix that can fix this other than disconnecting the external antenna. As long as you can bridge the antennas there will be a problem.

As for the Zagg question:

vpAiS.png

[quote name='DestroVega']apparently Apple didn't know about this issue because they had a case around the iPhone 4 while testing it so no one would discover it was the new model. So say some reports I have now read. Shitty situation for them, of course.[/QUOTE]

Do a little more research. An Apple engineer said it would be a problem during the design stage. The case was only used for real world testing to mask what the phone was. They didn't use those cases for in house testing. There was also some infighting about the antenna but Jobs wanted the design to stay the way it was.

[quote name='Malik112099']Do a little more research. An Apple engineer said it would be a problem during the design stage. The case was only used for real world testing to mask what the phone was. They didn't use those cases for in house testing. There was also some infighting about the antenna but Jobs wanted the design to stay the way it was.[/QUOTE]

oh ok, so they fucked up and knew it.

[quote name='DestroVega']oh ok, so they fucked up and knew it.[/QUOTE]

Bingo!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...jobs-last-year-about-iphone-antenna-flaw.html

Apple Inc.’s senior antenna expert voiced concern to Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs in the early design phase of the iPhone 4 that the antenna design could lead to dropped calls, a person familiar with the matter said.

Tests carried out by one of the phone service providers before the device was released also indicated the antenna might hinder reception, said a person who asked not to be identified because discussions with Apple aren’t public.

[quote name='Malik112099']There is no internal fix that can fix this other than disconnecting the external antenna. As long as you can bridge the antennas there will be a problem.

vpAiS.png
[/QUOTE]

Damn...glad I went with them. Which reminds me, my shield should be arriving any day now.

[quote name='Malik112099']There is no internal fix that can fix this other than disconnecting the external antenna. As long as you can bridge the antennas there will be a problem.

vpAiS.png
[/QUOTE]

oh wow, thats customer service

anyone mention iOS4.0.1 is out now for update? Just plug in and check for updates. Its just the change to your bars that are now larger and showing less...which isn't much of a fix. I hope that means a jailbreak is around the corner. Anyone know whats on iOS 4.1 that was seeded recently to devs? I can't find any info about it really :/

Definitely gonna check out the engaget liveblog of the apple crap tomorrow morning. If its a bumper im gonna be a little upset, i can use some duct tape and get the same effect.

[quote name='naiku']anyone mention iOS4.0.1 is out now for update? Just plug in and check for updates. Its just the change to your bars that are now larger and showing less...which isn't much of a fix. I hope that means a jailbreak is around the corner. Anyone know whats on iOS 4.1 that was seeded recently to devs? I can't find any info about it really :/

Definitely gonna check out the engaget liveblog of the apple crap tomorrow morning. If its a bumper im gonna be a little upset, i can use some duct tape and get the same effect.[/QUOTE]

dont update to 4.0.1 if you want to jailbreak

im getting a little discouraged with the press conference looming. my concern is theres really not going to be any fix other than offering bumpers (at most). considering i have noticeably slower 3G now im left with the dilemma of returning the phone or not. my main motivation being, im convinced the inevitable update in 2011 wont have the reception issues that the 4 has. not sure what im going to do.

[quote name='mykevermin']Drat. I was hoping that iOS4.1 would change the fact that it runs like a fucking piece of clunky, chunky, crashing shit on the iPhone 3G.[/QUOTE]

Seconded. I did manage to speed mine up a bit by removing two pages of apps (by deletion and moving into folders) and clearing my safari cache. Both of those helped a bit.

Well, I'm going to tune down my hopes for the press conference. I'm going to presume that it is just to announce sales numbers and also return numbers (presuming they are low).

As for my reception, I have definitely had a signal in places I didn't before, as I found earlier, and I have had a reliable connection in places I use to get a connection but which wasn't reliable with the 3GS, as I've seen at the train station every day. So I am very happy with this phone. However, the bridging the gap issue is there. A case helps and that will work for me. I of course would love if they announced a solution that didn't involve a case, but I'm going to try not to expect one. It's hard not to hope for it, though.

Where are you folks reading that 4.1 doesn't help the iPhone 3G? Or are you actually talking about 4.0.1?

EDIT: I'm for the change in the bar readings (mind you, I haven't installed 4.0.1 yet, just going on what was said). Not the making the lower bars larger, though I really don't think that's a big deal either way, rather that it will more accurately show signal strength.

[quote name='jughead']Seconded. I did manage to speed mine up a bit by removing two pages of apps (by deletion and moving into folders) and clearing my safari cache. Both of those helped a bit.[/QUOTE]

Have either of you tried a restore? Might be worth a shot. Otherwise, perhaps should go back to 3.x until such time as (if they) get it working well.

[quote name='jughead']Seconded. I did manage to speed mine up a bit by removing two pages of apps (by deletion and moving into folders) and clearing my safari cache. Both of those helped a bit.[/QUOTE]

Have either of you tried a restore? Might be worth a shot. Otherwise, perhaps should go back to 3.x until such time as (if they) get it working well.

[quote name='mykevermin']Drat. I was hoping that iOS4.1 would change the fact that it runs like a fucking piece of clunky, chunky, crashing shit on the iPhone 3G.[/QUOTE]

before I sold both my 3G's I updated them to iOS4, jailbroke/unlocked them and enabled mutitasking. Holy shit were they struggling to do anything when you had things running in the background.

[quote name='shosh']a report that states that a recall is unlikely from people who are just fucking guessing because they have no connection to Apple

http://chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2010/07/iphone-4-recall-unlikely-at-apple-event.html[/QUOTE]

Fixed. I hate reading reports like this. The headline makes it seem like someone has a source at Apple when some "analyst" is just making a guess.

Yeah, I agree on the annoyance (to put it mildly) with the reports of unspecified insiders saying that there is going to be a recall, and then another that says there isn't. I have to wonder if these stories aren't dreamed up by the people reporting them just to drive page hits.

Anyway, we'll find out soon enough. I am really thinking at this point, though, that they are just going to announce sales figures and talk about how people are happy with the phone. I am. I'd love if the attenuation issue was improved, but in practice it hasn't been a problem, and it generally seems to do better then my 3GS. Yes, I have a case on it. Without the case I'd have to be more careful about bridging the gap, although even with the case there is a signal drop, just not as much. I'm wondering if some different case material would reduce the attenuation further. My current one is TPC plastic.

Also, I updated to 4.0.1. The new taller bars are a bit goofy looking, but I'm sure I'll get use to it. It's obviously so people aren't taken aback by the generally lower number of bars you'll see, due to no longer being heavily skewed toward 5 bars. At the same time you'll see fewer bars drop for the same reason. Of course it's all the same in numbers, but now you have a better idea of when the signal is only fair.

also on endgadget, they seem to be downplaying the thing quite a bit, not a good sign for any useful resolution. though i did just read that the samsung captivate is coming out next week...

[quote name='DestroVega']So they are basically saying all phones do it, so tough noogies.. lol[/QUOTE]

pretty much so far. steve just pointed out they dont have enough cases for the phones...

and free bumpers.

yeah at first it was awesome, we are an engineering company, looking for a REAL solution to the problem..

oh all phones do it, 3gs dropped around the same amount of calls, no1 is returning the thing or calling apple care.

:( next week im returning my phone on principal. There is always another phone next year, save me 70$ a month.

It still doesn't seem like they're fixing the problem. And the bumpers won't fix the issue.

Also, consumers aren't returning their phones because they're waiting on a fix.

That is ridiculous. They can't make enough bumpers but they can make enough cases? Is there some sort of rubber shortage I'm unaware of? Total bullshit.

bread's done
Back