iPhone, iPad & iOS Discussion -- White iPhone on Sale 4/28

[quote name='shosh']why is she eligible in oct but not now? my 2 year was up in the end of january actually and they gave me an upgrade.
and jailbreaking it doesn't really do anything to the value.

unlocking it does though. it can add an extra 100 bucks.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I misspoke I guess. She is probably eligible but I'm going to wait for her birthday to get her the phone (her wishes). She actually claims she doesn't want an upgrade at all but maybe a few weeks playing with mine will change her mind. She claimed that she couldn't tell the difference between the two screens - her eyesight isn't the best (she also claims HD doesn't make a difference when watching TV). It makes me mental.

We did do a test launching Peggle on both phones at the same time and it was ridiculous how much faster the iPhone 4 is compared to the 3G.

A followup to my review of the case-mate Gelli case. I'm finding that with time the case isn't as comfortable to hold as I'd like. It's not terrible by any means, and it's probably not worse then most other cases, but none-the-less I'm not entirely happy with it. It's the corners of the phone that are the problem. I feel like the bottom left corner is pressing into the palm of my hand when I'm holding it left handed (which is how I usually hold it). It doesn't seem uncomfortable when I hold it right handed, so maybe I just have to get use to it. Or maybe a softer material would do the trick, or perhaps a leather case would be more comfortable. This case is good at least for now, and maybe with time I'll adjust. Hopefully so, as I really like the look of it and it feels like it would protect the phone well when dropped (short of landing face down on rocky terrain).

[quote name='Malik112099']My wife got water damage in her phone....the screen stop responding to touch. Tried to restore it but it refuses to restore and is stuck in recovery mode. Im trying some magic but I still think ill probably take it into the apple store and plunk down another $200 to get her a new one.... super...

EDIT: my wife was reading around and some people have said it was from humidity (phone on the counter while taking a shower) and apple replaced their phones for free. Might try that angle.[/QUOTE]

i think there is a pending lawsuit regarding water damage with the iphone. IIRC the plaintiff claims the water damage indicator will be activated from things it shouldnt, like being on the counter while taking a shower. then if something does happen non-water related apple refuses to repair it under the warranty because of water damage indicator. so this wouldnt be the same as your wife's situation. but you could try.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']i think there is a pending lawsuit regarding water damage with the iphone. IIRC the plaintiff claims the water damage indicator will be activated from things it shouldnt, like being on the counter while taking a shower. then if something does happen non-water related apple refuses to repair it under the warranty because of water damage indicator. so this wouldnt be the same as your wife's situation. but you could try.[/QUOTE]

yeah....i dont feel like being the douche that trys that..i have the $200 in hand..my genius bar appt is at 1245. I cant fucking believe i have to make an online appt to see some $$$ about my phone. I should just walk in, say it got wet, hand them $200 and walk out with a new phone.

Also, for shits and giggles...

WWyGV.jpg

[quote name='shosh']anyone feel kind of a douchebag carrying around this phone.[/QUOTE]

I really don't care what anyone else thinks so no.

[quote name='Malik112099']Javery have you shown her nytimes.com on both at the same time? That's what I always get people with.[/QUOTE]

I'll try it out. So far I'm loving the device even though I feel like I have a ton to learn.

[quote name='Malik112099']yeah....i dont feel like being the douche that trys that..i have the $200 in hand..my genius bar appt is at 1245. I cant fucking believe i have to make an online appt to see some $$$ about my phone. I should just walk in, say it got wet, hand them $200 and walk out with a new phone.[/QUOTE]
is that the cost to replace a phone? if i shatter the glass and what not i can just hand them 200 bucks and walk out with a new phone?

[quote name='jacknicklson']You walk out with a refurb but yeah, pretty much[/QUOTE]
refurb, whatever.

as long as i can have a working iphone during the length of my 2 year contract.

hopefully i don't lose my phone though

Wow, really? I would have expected them to charge the full price for a replacement not covered under a warranty (which is what, $600 or so?), not the contract price, given that you're not signing a new contract.

Also, is that price for a replacement 16gb? Would a replacement 32gb be $300, then?

i think (though im not 100%) that the iphone is under warranty for 1 year, and during that time you can get a semi-cheap replacement. but after the year you have to pay full price. but i could be wrong.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']i think (though im not 100%) that the iphone is under warranty for 1 year, and during that time you can get a semi-cheap replacement. but after the year you have to pay full price. but i could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think you're right.

Holy shit!! The guy asked how it got water damaged and I told him the truth about the kids playing outside and them throwing a water toy at her and it still getting wet even though it was in her pocket. He said that sucks and then gave me the replacement free!

[quote name='jacknicklson']You walk out with a refurb but yeah, pretty much[/QUOTE]

Sometimes. Sometimes not. The replacement phone may be new, as well. Even if it is refurb, it's usually indistinguishable from new.

[quote name='Malik112099']Holy shit!! The guy asked how it got water damaged and I told him the truth about the kids playing outside and them throwing a water toy at her and it still getting wet even though it was in her pocket. He said that sucks and then gave me the replacement free![/QUOTE]

Awesome! I'm always shocked when I hear crap like this - glad it worked out for you.

[quote name='javeryh']I really don't care what anyone else thinks so no. [/QUOTE]

its not really about what other people think, it just feels like being a sucker for buying into the hype apple put out and the need to have the brand new product thats out.

I try to resist pop culture, but i do really like the phone.

So, if someone likes their 3GS, but would rather have an iPhone that can record in 720p and has a better camera (among other things), they're a "sucker?"

[quote name='lmz00']So, if someone likes their 3GS, but would rather have an iPhone that can record in 720p and has a better camera (among other things), they're a "sucker?"[/QUOTE]
actually thats more than exactly my point. i skipped the 3gs generation and still feel kinda duped.

I don't know - that's on you I guess. This is my first iPhone and my first new cell phone in 4+ years so I definitely don't feel duped... although I've only had it for a day.

[quote name='shosh']actually thats more than exactly my point. i skipped the 3gs generation and still feel kinda duped.[/QUOTE]
Then return it and go back to using your 3G. Problem solved.

[quote name='shosh']its not really about what other people think, it just feels like being a sucker for buying into the hype apple put out and the need to have the brand new product thats out.

I try to resist pop culture, but i do really like the phone.[/QUOTE]

I guess if you only bought it because of the hype, then yeah, you're probably right in feeling like a douche.

Personally, I actually agonized long and hard before buying it -- I was nigh on ready to jump to Android before the specs were announced. But since Apple took care of many of my major issues with the earlier phone, and Android still has several issues that I consider deal killers, I ended up deciding to go with Apple again. Since I had also skipped the 3GS, the jump in technology was pretty significant -- if a significantly faster processor, a higher res display, more memory, multitasking, etc. aren't enough for you to be able to justify it, I don't know what to tell you. I couldn't really care less about the hype, I bought a device that I use heavily on a daily basis and that serves a specific set of needs that I have very well. Why should I feel bad about it?

I've had great experiences with Apple support in store. I use to have an iPod touch that I kept uncased and put in my jeans pocket. After a year or so of this I started having problems syncing. I took it to the genius bar and the guy found that the dock connector was packed with pocket lint. He started cleaning it, but it was proving difficult, so he said, "I'll just give you a replacement", and he did! And this us even mire awesome because u had drilled mine several times and it was scuffed and inges pretty well. So I walked out with a free replacement with a brand new battery, and in perfect cosmetic condition, even though the problem with it had clearly been entirely my own fault.

On a different note, I just got this Minisuit TPU skin case, which is very similar in design to the Case-Mate Gelli:

http://www.amazon.com/MiniSuit-Generation-compatible-Cleaner-keychain/dp/B003T9EGCM/

It's cheaper even with shipping althoug nit doesn't include a screen protector or cleaning cloth. It was advertised as coming with a keychain screen cleaner, but mine only came with an apologetic note saying that it was out if stock and saying that I could give them my email address and be put in a waiting list for a replacement.

I'll cut to the chase on this one and give the essential info. The build quality is not as good as the Case-Mate Gelli, including that the back camera hole is not as well lined up, although it doesn't block the camera or flash at all. The seam along the sides is a bit rough and I think the TPU plastic is a little thinner, though that could also be a plus. However, the case looks fantastic on the phone, and I like the concentric circles pattern on the back more. I would use this case even over the Case-Mate due to how it looks, except for one deal-killing issue. The hole for the headphone jack is smaller and my Westone UM2 headphones don't work with it. I can get them in, but they pop back out. If I can figure out how to make the hole larger without ruining it I'd do that, but I don't know if that's possible.

So, I set my phone down on the counter last night. Went and picked it up a couple hours later, only to find "No SIM card is installed". Googled it, and I see it's a fairly common problem. I tried putting it in Airplane mode, removing the SIM and putting it back in, and turning the unit on/off four or five times. Finally, I said to hell with it, and got ready for bed. Turned it on one last time before bed, and it started up fine. :l

If it happens again, I'm going to go get mine replaced (for free). No way am I keeping it around if it's going to pull this shit when I need my phone. (I'm on call for work, so I need a working phone.)

I thought this was worthy of it's own post. My above post, in part talking about my iPod touch replacement saga (a good one) I edited, because at first the iPhone keyboard had it as, "...the guy found that the dick connector was packed with pocket lint."

I think you'll agree that that is worth preserving. :)

Just got mine, I'm impressed so far. Easy to transfer the data from my 3G iPhone and I love the FaceTime video chat. Sure, there are other phones out there that do some of these things easier, but I'm thrilled so far.

The real test will be Comic-con in a couple weeks, I need the battery to last all day while I'm at the convention taking pics and video!

[quote name='lmz00']Then return it and go back to using your 3G. Problem solved.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't gonna bother with this thread anymore til I heard about Consumer reports and then the above conversation but... LOL.

With that Reveal case, make sure it's the updated one that doesn't mess up the flash. Basically the opening for the camera on the clear back reflects or does something else weird with the light from the flash and messes pictures up. They updated the case to fix this.

[quote name='crunchewy']With that Reveal case, make sure it's the updated one that doesn't mess up the flash. Basically the opening for the camera on the clear back reflects or does something else weird with the light from the flash and messes pictures up. They updated the case to fix this.[/QUOTE]

hmm....let me check that right now

EDIT: works fine...thanks for the heads up though

[quote name='javeryh']Uh-oh. http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/12/consumer-reports-says-iphone-4-has-design-flaw/[/QUOTE]

yeah, but the thing is, God himself could float down and say the phone is a piece of shit and anyone who buys it will go to hell and people will still line up around the block for it. Oh well.....I can't see apple recalling that many phones especially when the fix requires a redesign. I'm betting everyone will be given free bumpers.

Speaking of bumpers, when I was at the Apple store today there were a shit ton of them.

[quote name='lmz00']Then return it and go back to using your 3G. Problem solved.[/QUOTE]
actually i might do that. except going back to the 3g and getting verizon.

can you return a phone back to apple? and will they void your new contract?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shosh']actually i might do that. except going back to the 3g and getting verizon.[/QUOTE]

Ummm . . . You do know that the 3G (I assume you mean the iPhone 3G) isn't going to work on Verizon's network, right?

[quote name='shosh']actually i might do that. except going back to the 3g and getting verizon.

can you return a phone back to apple? and will they void your new contract?[/QUOTE]

you have 30 days to return it to ATT

[quote name='arcane93']Ummm . . . You do know that the 3G (I assume you mean the iPhone 3G) isn't going to work on Verizon's network, right?[/QUOTE]
no, i meant with another phone

and im just pretty bipolar about buying phones. everything has to be perfect as i freaking hate 2 year contracts and being stuck with 1 phone.

[quote name='javeryh']Uh-oh. http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/12/consumer-reports-says-iphone-4-has-design-flaw/[/QUOTE]

The thing that baffles me about all of this complaining is that the fix is an incredibly simple one that everyone should do anyway . . . put a case on it. Whether you get a bumper, or an Otterbox, or a Vapor, or some generic gel case off of eBay, just put it on the phone and the problem is solved. And really, an iPhone 4 is a pretty significant investment -- don't you want to protect it anyway? I'll even go so far as to say you're a fool if you don't. So geez, stop whining already.

(just to be clear, the above is not directed at javeryh, as he's just posting the link, not complaining himself)

Besides, Consumer Reports has become increasingly irrelevant over the years, so who really cares what they have to say? I used to respect them a good bit, and grew up in a household where their reviews were very nearly considered the last word on what to buy. When I was buying my current car (a Honda Civic, so not exactly an unusual model) a year and a half ago, though, I bought one of their new car reports on it, only to discover that not only did it not have any information that I couldn't have gotten from any number of free sources just as easily, but it was outright wrong on several significant counts (factual data, not reviewer opinions). I demanded my money back and got it -- haven't been able to take a thing they've had to say seriously since.

[quote name='shosh']no, i meant with another phone

and im just pretty bipolar about buying phones. everything has to be perfect as i freaking hate 2 year contracts and being stuck with 1 phone.[/QUOTE]

no phone is perfect. stoop being a snoty shit box. I know there is a word for it but i like mine better

[quote name='arcane93']Besides, Consumer Reports has become increasingly irrelevant over the years, so who really cares what they have to say? I used to respect them a good bit, and grew up in a household where their reviews were very nearly considered the last word on what to buy. When I was buying my current car (a Honda Civic, so not exactly an unusual model) a year and a half ago, though, I bought one of their new car reports on it, only to discover that not only did it not have any information that I couldn't have gotten from any number of free sources just as easily, but it was outright wrong on several significant counts (factual data, not reviewer opinions). I demanded my money back and got it -- haven't been able to take a thing they've had to say seriously since.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on CR. CR usually isn't all wrong, but often they aren't entirely right either - they aren't considering the whole picture, and I think that's the case with the iPhone 4. It's too early for me to tell completely, admittedly, but so far it has performed better then my 3GS (I do have a case on it now). When I just don't worry about the issue I find that it performs great and very reliably. If I stare at the bars and try to reproduce the problem, yep, I can do it. But in practice is it an issue? So far it hasn't been for me, and I do generally hold it with my left hand.

The only places it is an issue is where I had issues with the signal with my 3GS as well. In fact, in those areas, if I switch to holding it right handed, the signal is pretty substantially better then I ever got with the 3GS. So is this really a problem, or did it open up a new option for me? When the signal is especially weak I can switch my hold of the phone and extend the usable area of the phone.

[quote name='jacknicklson']http://www.exogear.com/[/QUOTE]

Hm . . . I'm intrigued by the USB port. Is that only for charging the battery in the case, or does it enable you to "dock" the phone to a computer or other USB source using just a regular USB cable? My car stereo has a built-in USB port for iPod support, so if I could plug the phone into that without having to take it out of the case, that would be a big plus.

$90, though . . . ouch. I'd really want to see one in person to see how big/bulky it is, and how easy it is to get the phone in and out of it (since it would be necessary to remove it to put the phone on an actual dock) before I'd even consider it.

[quote name='jacknicklson']The usb port will charge the phone and the battery.[/QUOTE]

Right, but will it pass through data as well?

I have a similar case for my 3GS, a PhoneSuit Mili. It looked pretty slim in the pictures. In reality it made the phone much more bulky. I still used it for a while, but then I stopped using it after I took it off and found myself reviling in how slim and light my iPhone 3GS was without the battery case. Instead I went back to using this, from the same company, and I'm pretty happy with it, and in fact it works great with my iPhone 4 too:

http://www.phonesuit.com/products/Primo_iPhone_iPod_Battery_Pack-26-10.html

EDIT: sorry, I just fixed the URL.

The big shortcoming to this thing is that it isn't just there, you have to plug it in, but it is small enough to toss into your pocket. Plus it works with any iPhone, iPod touch or iPod. I don't think it works with the iPad, but I'm not sure.

Additional edit: it actually works really well with my Case-Mate Gelli case. The battery pack is designed with a longer connector, so that it works with cases, and in fact it works better with this case then without.

[quote name='arcane93']Right, but will it pass through data as well?[/QUOTE]

Good question, the pack i got from Target clearance did both but who knows

bread's done
Back