iPhone, iPad & iOS Discussion -- White iPhone on Sale 4/28

This case is AWESOME. It is also $80.....still probably going to buy it

http://elementcase.com/iphone4.html

banner1ob.jpg

I was looking at the retail website again for the Vapor4 seeing if I wanted to preorder it and realized there are no pics of the side of the phone with the volume buttons/silent switch. Think I'll wait a while and see what it looks like on that side....

I registered to order a vapor case from the August shipment (July shipment is sold out). Hopefully by then there will be plenty of pics/reviews out there before it's time to pull the trigger.

Can someone comment on the 2GB data limit? Is that enough for general use? I imagine streaming videos (YouTube) and music (Pandora) really eats into that fast. Has anyone had a problem staying under the limit?

I am a heavy user and have had the 4 since day one and here are my stats:

64.3MB Sent
203MB Received

A lot of my time is spent on Wifi so take it as you will. I dont know if that data is combined with cellular data so maybe someone can shed some light on that

Last edited by a moderator:
So it is unlimited if you are on Wifi? That makes a huge difference because when I'm at home I'll just be connected to my router/network. I also imagine most places I'll be traveling to will have Wifi as well. This really puts my mind at ease.

Thanks!

[quote name='javeryh']Can someone comment on the 2GB data limit? Is that enough for general use? I imagine streaming videos (YouTube) and music (Pandora) really eats into that fast. Has anyone had a problem staying under the limit?[/QUOTE]

When I had a iPhone 3G, I was over 2GB almost every month, but it didn't matter as I had the 'unlimited' plan.

I would IM, twitter, listen to streaming radio, email, light web browsing all over 3G.

The only time I used WiFi was when I was downloading an app on the phone that was over 10/20MB

[quote name='javeryh']So it is unlimited if you are on Wifi? That makes a huge difference because when I'm at home I'll just be connected to my router/network. I also imagine most places I'll be traveling to will have Wifi as well. This really puts my mind at ease.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I don't use a ton on Pandora, mostly stream MLB games, but I have never gone over 1.6GB.

I had previously had a max for a month of 482 MB, but last month I started listening to a lot more streaming radio, mostly at 128 kbps. Last month my usage was up to 704.9 MB. However, now I've got Pocket Tunes and it plays 48 kbps AAC+ streams with astounding quality, to my ears at least as good as 128 kbps MP3 streams, so I figure my usage is going to drop back again as a result. On the other hand, with us now having background streaming, maybe it will just cancel out the spike in my use that has resulted. :) I do have to wonder, given these numbers, just how much the netflix apps is going to affect things, but then I don't really expect to use that anywhere near as much as audio streaming, since my opportunities to use it, at least via 3G, are fewer and farer between, and when I am using it won't be streaming audio, so again, I wonder if it won't just get cancelled out, or close to it. I'm anxious to find out, though!

Oh, and yeah, wifi has nothing to do with 3G, and doesn't count in terms of AT&T's 2 GB limited (or other) plans.

Here's a question that I'm chomping at the bit about and I haven't found an answer to it. If I were jailbreak and unlock my current iPhone 3GS, could my wife start using it with her pay-as-you-go AT&T sim card? Or would I even need to jailbreak? Could I just pop the thing and away we go?

My iPhone 4 arrives Friday-ish. Woohoo! I hope I don't see any issues.

Also, for those seening generally worse reception (not the antenna bridging issue, but generally worse signal), have you tried a "network reset": http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/06/iphone-4-reception-issues-a-network-reset-might-help/

Probably voodoo, but maybe not? It doesn't hurt to try, anyway.

To me, the vapor case is ugly because its design is counter to the elements of the phone itself.

I've been eyeing the custom cases from here:

grovemade.com I like the skull in particular.

[quote name='Anexanhume']To me, the vapor case is ugly because its design is counter to the elements of the phone itself.

I've been eyeing the custom cases from here:

grovemade.com I like the skull in particular.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap those are awesome!

Well, I ordered it. The phone should arrive between 7-14 business days but I'm hoping it's a little earlier than that. I'm actually going to be saving over $60/month by switching to the iPhone 4. My wife currently has an iPhone 3GS that we pay about $80/month on. I have a Verizon cell phone I pay $45/month on so we are paying $125/month for cell phones. We will be on a family plan that costs $120/month but we get an 18% discount through my work because the new phone is an "upgrade" to my existing AT&T service through work making it about $98/month. An extra line is $10/month so that's $108/month. My work is reimbursing me $48 for the data plan so that brings the monthly out of pocket expense to about $60/month for both phones combined. As far as I'm concerned this is a great deal!

I think those bamboo cases are pretty awesome looking with the artwork. I liked Faces and a bunch of the others. However there are no pictures I can find of the top and bottom of the final version, and what I guess is the prototype still seems to have a small, round hole fir the headphone jack that appears to recess it quite a bit. Plus the dock connector opening size is an unknown. I just don't know if I can risk that much money on something that may not work for me.

[quote name='crunchewy']Also, for those seening generally worse reception (not the antenna bridging issue, but generally worse signal), have you tried a "network reset": http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/06/iphone-4-reception-issues-a-network-reset-might-help/

Probably voodoo, but maybe not? It doesn't hurt to try, anyway.[/QUOTE]

When I called Apple Care because my internet kept dropping out (my phone would be showing five bars of service, and I'd be able to make calls without difficulty, but I'd have no internet whatsoever), the tech suggested doing exactly that. It did, indeed clear up the problem, but for the first few times only temporarily -- the network would work fine for a few hours after doing it, or even until the next day, and then drop out again. The last time that I had to do it was last Thursday, though, and (knock on wood) it's been good since.

The way that the tech explained it to me was that they suspect that there's some error occurring when people are restoring backups from older iPhones to their new iPhone 4s, and the iPhone 4 is mistakenly getting the network settings for the older phone, which aren't correct for it. A network reset causes it to restore the proper settings for the iPhone 4. Sounds plausible, anyway (though it doesn't explain why I had the issue for several more times after that, when I didn't do another restore).

The downside of the network reset is that it's a complete network reset. In other words, not only will it reset the cellular network connection, it will also clear out all of your wi-fi network information as well. Which is really damn annoying when you use the phone on multiple wi-fi networks and you have to keep re-entering the SSID and security info for all of them every time.

I'm probably just going to do the network reset right after I restore to my iPhone 4 on Friday, and hopefully avoid the issue before ever seeing it. I hope you have luck with it this time.

Do you guys recommend any protective screen/glass cover? (not bumpers) Im already noticing small scratches on the glass, most likely caused by my keys while in my pocket :cry:

I have a full zagg invisibleshield on mine. Works great and you can't even tell it's there. Also has a lifetime warranty. www. Zagg.com

Similarly, I have a BodyGuardz full body protector on mine. Lifetime warranty also. I went with that one because there's a kiosk in the mall here where they'll put it on for you for an extra $10. I always have a hell of a time with bubbles and such when I try to do these things myself, so I figured it was worth the extra to let an "expert" do it.

I still want to put a bumper on mine as well, but at least with this I'm comfortable with carrying it around until I can actually get one. The Apple Store still has yet to actually have any bumpers in stock at any point when I've gone.

[quote name='Malik112099']I have a full zagg invisibleshield on mine. Works great and you can't even tell it's there. Also has a lifetime warranty. www. Zagg.com[/QUOTE]

same one i use. its heavy duty, im not worried in the slightest about scratches with this thing.

[quote name='Malik112099']I have a full zagg invisibleshield on mine. Works great and you can't even tell it's there. Also has a lifetime warranty. www. Zagg.com[/QUOTE]

Now that's what I'm talking about. I'm either going with this or the Apple bumper which is a total rip-off (or maybe both - get the Zagg to cover the front and back and the bumper for around the edges).

[quote name='javeryh']Now that's what I'm talking about. I'm either going with this or the Apple bumper which is a total rip-off (or maybe both - get the Zagg to cover the front and back and the bumper for around the edges).[/QUOTE]

I think that both is the key. The bumper won't protect the face or back of the phone from scratches, and the screen protector won't protect the phone from drops. Between the two of them, you should have everything pretty well covered.

^
probably gonna end up w/ the bumper + zagg also, atm phone is in good condition and hoping to keep it that way. The zagg looks pretty solid but 55$ to protect it in ure pocket is so expensive grrr. Does the bumper cushion the phone at all? It seems like a solid strip of plastic that would just help w/ the antenna and slightly raise the glass top/back from the table when setting the phone down. I doubt it does well when falling from 3-4feet :/

[quote name='naiku']It seems like a solid strip of plastic that would just help w/ the antenna and slightly raise the glass top/back from the table when setting the phone down. I doubt it does well when falling from 3-4feet :/[/QUOTE]

The main risk of damage/shattering to an extra-hard glass like the one used on the iPhone 4 isn't a head-on impact, it's an edge impact. Therefore, the areas that needs protection more than anything are the edges, where the glass sticks out little a bit from the frame. The bumper covers those, and should help to minimize the amount of force that the glass itself takes from impact. Not that I'd recommend actively trying it, of course, but it definitely should help to protect the phone if it's dropped.

[quote name='naiku']^
probably gonna end up w/ the bumper + zagg also, atm phone is in good condition and hoping to keep it that way. The zagg looks pretty solid but 55$ to protect it in ure pocket is so expensive grrr.[/QUOTE]

You can ALWAYS find discounts for ZAGG. If you go to the website and sign up for the free ipad contest you can get emailed up to a 50% off coupon code. I bought the zaggsmartbuds a few weeks ago and i used a proxy sites and mailinator till i got a 50% off code.

WTF? iTunes just crashed on me mid-sync, and now after a restart it's insisting on restoring my phone from a backup before it will recognize it (even though the phone itself seems fine). Fortunately, at least it had gotten all the way through making a backup before crashing, so I have a backup from about five minutes ago to restore from.

I really fucking hate iTunes. If Apple isn't capable of writing decent fucking software, they should let somebody else do it. :bomb:

I've been using iTunes just fine for about 7 years now.

It feels like I'm the only one on here that doesn't have any sort of case or screen protector on my iPhone.

[quote name='lmz00']I've been using iTunes just fine for about 7 years now.[/QUOTE]

Are you on a Mac? I've heard that the Mac version is a lot more stable. The PC version is a complete piece of shit, though.

Trying to restore my phone, now, and for some reason it keeps wanting to remove applications from the phone. My favorite part is that it's not even telling me which applications -- it's just saying the name of one of them, and then "and seven others will be removed from your phone". Even more fun, I go and put that one back, and suddenly it's another app name "and nine others"! What the fuck? I finally just told it to do whatever the fuck it wants, and I'll figure it out later.

It doesn't help that the app interface in iTunes is slow as shit when you've got a large app library.

fucking Apple.

[quote name='arcane93']Are you on a Mac? I've heard that the Mac version is a lot more stable. The PC version is a complete piece of shit, though.

Trying to restore my phone, now, and for some reason it keeps wanting to remove applications from the phone. My favorite part is that it's not even telling me which applications -- it's just saying the name of one of them, and then "and seven others will be removed from your phone". Even more fun, I go and put that one back, and suddenly it's another app name "and nine others"! What the fuck? I finally just told it to do whatever the fuck it wants, and I'll figure it out later.

It doesn't help that the app interface in iTunes is slow as shit when you've got a large app library.

fucking Apple.[/QUOTE]I used the Windows version from the time it came out up until almost two years ago.

[quote name='lmz00']I used the Windows version from the time it came out up until almost two years ago.[/QUOTE]

So you haven't used it since they "improved" the app interface, then? I really think that's where 90% of the problem is.

thanks for the 50% off zagg advice. totally got one of those.

although i would love to just have the full body zagg on the phone, dont really want to risk it shattering as ill be stuck with a iphone contract w/o an iphone. so what is a good deal for a decent bumper cover?

[quote name='shosh']thanks for the 50% off zagg advice. totally got one of those.

although i would love to just have the full body zagg on the phone, dont really want to risk it shattering as ill be stuck with a iphone contract w/o an iphone. so what is a good deal for a decent bumper cover?[/QUOTE]

I honestly dont think a thin piece of rubber will really prevent the phone from shattering if you drop it from 3+ feet onto concrete/tile/cement/etc. If you are that worried about protection from breakage I would suggest and otterbox (when they finally come out). My wife wants the defender since she is so clumsy with her phone.

http://www.otterbox.com/iphone-4-cases/

that ivyskin case looks interesting, but id hate to order a case online only to find out i dont like it.

on a side note, i think multitasking is starting to annoy me. seems to be messing up badges on some apps, refreshing problems on apps like facebook, and timeout problems with the appstore. too bad theres no option to switch it off or at least switch it off for certain apps.

[quote name='jacknicklson']50% off of zagg.com, free shipping over $30

Coupon code is facebook

[/QUOTE]

Invalid code... unless you mean you have to order $30 worth to get BOTH 50% off and free shipping...

[quote name='javeryh']Invalid code... unless you mean you have to order $30 worth to get BOTH 50% off and free shipping...[/QUOTE]

Ahh, it was for yesterday my bad

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']on a side note, i think multitasking is starting to annoy me. seems to be messing up badges on some apps, refreshing problems on apps like facebook, and timeout problems with the appstore. too bad theres no option to switch it off or at least switch it off for certain apps.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you should judge iOS 4 multitasking based on the behavior of Facebook app. The Facebook app is terrible. I don't know why it gets such good reviews. You can't see groups at all. Sometimes when I click to see some pictures it says there are none even though there are. Often when looking at a picture the comments button is grayed out - I have to refresh to see that there are comments or even to add my own. Etc. All that happened before iOS 4. The Facebook App simply sucks.

I haven't had any big issues with iOS 4 multitasking with other apps. Sometimes Carcassonne doesn't seem to show the right number on its icon, but I don't know if that has anything to do with multitasking. In any case I presume it's a bug and it will get fixed.

On my own different note, my iPhone 4 arrived a day early! Woohoo! I didn't get to put all my music on it yet, but all my apps are on it. Only issue is that some of my apps weren't in their folders, so I had to clean things up. Not a big deal, but it was a small nuisance. The screen looks perfect - no spots. I did reset the network to be on the safe side. So far I love it. I haven't actually made a call on it yet, but I have used the browser, apps and streaming audio via Pocket Tunes. Also used CoPilot Live navigation just to test that it worked. It did, but initially I had to sign into it again to enable it. Everything has worked great.

I do see the signal drop when held while in my home, but the signal in my home has always been spotty at best, and often not there at all, even on the 3GS. In fact, while I was setting up the iPhone 4, for a period of time the 3GS was still getting the wireless signals. Just sitting on the table I watched the bars go up and down for no reason on both phones. Out on the road and such, I didn't see the signal drop at all when held. I suspect it's there, but the skewing toward 5 bars hides it (and overstates it when the signal is weak.) So far, so good, but I am going to get a case anyway.

I wonder how people are going to react when Apple pushes out the firmware update to change the bar scale to being more accurate? The end result is that virtually everywhere the number of bars you see is going to be fewer. It doesn't mean the signal nor reception has changed, just that the representation of it has changed, but I imagine there are going to be complaints and predictions of disaster/fatal flaw from bloggers worldwide. On the other hand the drops and rises seen when holding/not holding the phone will be less dramatic. You'll be at 3 bars and drop to 2, instead of dropping from 5 to 2, and such.

I actually ordered two inexpensive cases. I don't want to risk big money on an expensive one I might not be happy with. I ordered the "Gray" version of this:

http://www.case-mate.com/iPhone-4-Cases/Case-Mate-iPhone-4-Gelli-Cases.asp

And then I ordered one of these as it looks pretty cool in the pictures and has gotten all positive reviews on amazon (with some caveats noted):

http://www.amazon.com/MiniSuit-Generation-compatible-Cleaner-keychain/dp/B003T9EGCM/

At least in the pictures, it looks pretty cool and I love how it shows off the back of the phone in entirety, and has that cool concentric circles thing going on. Hopefully it looks that good in reality.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Ahh, it was for yesterday my bad[/QUOTE]

No worries - Amazon is selling the Zagg cases for $11.77 right now - 53% off!

I had a question to all the people who have the Zagg Invisible Shield, how does it feel on your phone? I heard it have a very rubbery feel to it, is this true? My main concerns with a scratch protector was how the screen looked underneath one and not the feel. A couple bad amazon reviews for the zagg shield due to the feel of it. anyone can describe it or are they just crazy?

I'd like to know this as well. Also, for those of you who ordered directly from AT&T did you get an email or anything from them when the phone shipped or did it just show up?

the way the screen looks is fine. its a little reflective when the screen is off, but once its on, no problem. there is a noticeable "rubbery" (i dont know if rubbery is the right word, but you can tell its there when you use the phone) feel when using the phone. but you very quickly quit used to it and it definitely hasnt caused any problems with games, navigating etc.

the zagg has some "give" to it....it has a slight thickness to it.....it also isnt perfectly flat/smooth like other protectors. At an angle you can see it has a slightly rippled finish. After using it for as long as I have I cont even tell its there. I also like how it is grippy. I can lay my phone next to the shifter in my car and it doesnt slide or go anywhere. As far as being able to slide my fingers over it as oppossed to the glass I cant feel a difference but im sure thats just because I am used to it.

bread's done
Back