iPhone, iPad & iOS Discussion -- White iPhone on Sale 4/28

Found these on another forum too. lol

1277477480603.jpg

10x0625obv1241holdcopy.png

[quote name='VipFREAK']The news reported that some people think this is such a big issue they should receive a free case.

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!![/QUOTE]

Hell, I'd just be happy if I could get a case at all . . .

Apple Store: sold out
Best Buy: sold out
Raido Shack: sold out
AT&T store: only case they had was a knock-off Burberry-plaid. No thanks.
Target and Wal-Mart: don't appear to have even gotten anything yet

I mean, seriously? Did none of these stores think that anyone was actually going to buy an iPhone? Or did they think that most of those people wouldn't want a case? I can understand the shortage on the phones themselves, but the fact that cases are even harder to get is just inane.

Seriously, when I got my 3G, the Apple Store had a wall of cases for it. Now they can't even keep enough of even just the bumpers in stock to match the number of phones they're selling?

I managed to get a screen protector (that also covers the back and sides) at least, so I don't feel as worried about carrying the phone around now as a I did when it was completely uncovered. But still, what the hell?

If you want to know if you can upgrade just go to your cell phone and dial *639# and hit call. I'm pretty sure the $200 upgrade price for anyone eligible for the rest of the year is only for pre-existing iPhone customers.

Jesus. Why did everyone get hung up on the wife thing? Some asshole questions something regarding my wife and I ask if he has one (cause maybe if he did, he wouldn't have asked such a stupid fucking question). He doesn't (which was obvious) and I told him to shut the fuck up. Now I'm telling Imz00 to go fucking troll somewhere else with his butt-buddy VIP.

Malik, why are you getting so off topic about a wife you may or may not have? And talking about jailbreaking? Piracy and mod talk is prohibited :nottalking:

[quote name='seanr1221']Malik, why are you getting so off topic about a wife you may or may not have?[/QUOTE]

Hey wife-less asshole, stop questioning the existence of his wife and maybe you won't ask such stupid fucking questions

Jailbreaking isn't piracy. Also, it is perfectly legal to unlock a phone to use on a carrier of your liking. In order to do this you have to jailbreak. Apple is still waiting on an official ruling. Until then it's perfectly legal.

[quote name='seanr1221']No, it's not.[/QUOTE]

link? Apple is waiting on a ruling. The EFF asked for a DMCA excemption for jailbreaking the iphone and Apple is against it. The excemption would not cover the iPad. A simple google search will bring up a LOT of articles on this.

Know what you are talking about before you comment on something.

Running homebrew on your wii isn't piracy either, but you can't talk about it here.

Chat it up with your wife; keep your shady practices off the board.

[quote name='Malik112099']link? Apple is waiting on a ruling. The EFF asked for a DMCA excemption for jailbreaking the iphone and Apple is against it. The excemption would not cover the iPad. A simple google search will bring up a LOT of articles on this.

Know what you are talking about before you comment on something.[/QUOTE]

This is very much a grey area right now. Yes, the EFF has asked for a DMCA exemption. However, technically, until/unless that exemption is granted, jailbreaking could legally fall under the DMCA. That's not to say that it absolutely does, but at this point, Apple could take a jailbreaking case to court under the DMCA if they chose to do so (and then it would be up to the court to decide).

Your logic is backwards if you think that the EFF filing for an exemption means that it's not illegal. It's quite the opposite, actually -- if it were currently legal, there would be no need for an exemption.

who the hell cares. holy crap you themed your phone or changed the lockscreen...I personally can't wait for the jailbreak to come out. Apple seriously needs to implement that intelliscreen ripoff they patented awhile back until then i can't live without my lockcalander.

Since my phone is number 3 at best buy and waiting for that second shipment, did they change the photo app at all? Can you upload photos to flickr/photobucket or you still need to use another app for that?

[quote name='Malik112099']Fine, it's a grey area. I guess we are only allowed to discuss modding and piracy in the OTT? You high-horse assholes kill me.[/QUOTE]

I really don't care if you discuss it or not. I was just correcting your clearly fallacious logic. No need to get edgy.

Or, as you might say, "Know what you are talking about before you comment on something."

My 3GS is starting to chug after a few days with the new OS. It was fine the first couple days but lately it's been much slower. Anyone else notice this?

Also can't wait for Tuesday to (hopefully) get an iPhone4 from the AT&T store.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Anyone got any case recommendations yet? Not that we can find them in stores but you never know[/QUOTE]

nope. ive gone through three cases (luckily best buy hasnt minded me making returns) and havent been thrilled with any of them. i currently have an ifrogz case, and its adequate for now, but i fully except to get a new case in a few months as more roll out and become available.

I don't like cases so I just have a full zagg. My wife is waiting for the otterboxes to come out. They have pics up of them already and they look pretty nice.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']My 3GS is starting to chug after a few days with the new OS. It was fine the first couple days but lately it's been much slower. Anyone else notice this?

Also can't wait for Tuesday to (hopefully) get an iPhone4 from the AT&T store.[/QUOTE]

I've noticed my 3G having issues the last couple days (since the iOS 4 update). I plug my phone in to charge, and my phone says it's fully charged. Once I remove the phone from the cable, however, I see it has only charged about 50%. My iPod makes a disgusting sound sometimes when I skip a track. I've noticed apps crashing more often, and Safari has locked up more times in the last day or two than it ever did before.

Phew. Sorry for the block of text, but, I'm anxiously awaiting the 4.1 update. :l

First that vid is fucking amazing. I'm still loling as I type this.

As for the iPhone 4, I'm going to wait for the Samsung Captivate to come out before I shell out $200 for a new phone, since my contract is eligible for an upgrade in August and my current phone is a piece of crap (Palm Treo 680 with half its buttons messed up). So far I'm less than impressed with the iPhone and have always been a critic of how restrictive Apple has made its software without jailbreaking. If the Captivate/Galaxy S is really all it claims to be then I'll be all over it like white on rice.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']My 3GS is starting to chug after a few days with the new OS. It was fine the first couple days but lately it's been much slower. Anyone else notice this?

Also can't wait for Tuesday to (hopefully) get an iPhone4 from the AT&T store.[/QUOTE]

My 3G was absolutely fucking awful after I put iOS 4 on it. It got really slow, and the battery started lasting only about half as long as it had before I installed it. If there were any way of going back to the previous OS version, I would have in a heartbeat.

One guy who I was talking to in the line for the iPhone 4 at the Apple Store suggested that maybe Apple made it make the 3G so shitty so that people would be forced to buy a new phone. :lol:

I really hope that Apple fixes these issues with an update soon, because even though I'm not using it as a phone anymore, I still want to use it as an iPod Touch.

[quote name='SoonerMatt']So far I'm less than impressed with the iPhone and have always been a critic of how restrictive Apple has made its software without jailbreaking. If the Captivate/Galaxy S is really all it claims to be then I'll be all over it like white on rice.[/QUOTE]

Make up your own mind what's best for you, of course, but I'll tell you what killed the Android phones for me more than anything, because I was seriously considering a switch . . . Even though the current phones have SD card slots and advertise as much as 8gb of internal memory, most of that can only be used to store media. The actual memory that can be used for apps is much smaller -- the EVO has 1gb of memory that it lets you install apps to; the Droid Incredible only has 512mb. Given that I have a number of apps (games, mostly) on the iPhone that are 300mb or more each by themselves, that just didn't seem adequate at all. Google has said that they're working on doing something about this limitation, but they've been very vague, and it's been suggested that the whole not allowing apps to be installed to SD cards thing is meant as an anti-piracy feature, so I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe it will be better with some of the upcoming Android models. But definitely do your research first, and make sure you know exactly what you're getting.

Anyway, not necessarily trying to sway you one way or the other -- get what's best for you. I think Android overall is great, and it definitely has some features that I wish the iPhone had. But between my existing iPhone investment (I've got a pretty good number of apps at this point), and the problems that Android still has, I decided that it wasn't right for me this time. Maybe by the time I'm ready for my next phone upgrade, it'll fit my needs better.

iOS 4 runs great on my 3GS. Well, actually I do sometimes see times when it doesn't respond to my touch for a few seconds, but then clears up, and I presume that's a bug. I mostly notice it in the Facebook app, but I've seen it happen in Safari too, albeit to a lesser extent.

In spite of that, it's a big improvement over the previous OS and the multitasking works great with apps that support it, the numbers of which are growing. Yesterday I was using the NPR app to stream audio while using Copilot Live to navigate. Just for fun I tried then jumping out of Copilot too, and both kept working.

Actually, Copilot has some bugs with it's multitasking support. It basically only works in the background if you set it to play it's navigation voice at the same volume as music. If you set it to quiet the music or to mute music, you don't get the voice navigation in the background. I hope they fix it soon, but for now I've got it set to same volume and that works. Copilot has some other dumb issues, though. For example if you download a map update it tells you to restart the app. I'll bet a high percentage of people out there don't know how to manually restart an app that multitasks in iOS 4! Why does it even need you to restart the app? Why can't it just load the updated map?

I am nervously, I must admit, awaiting my iPhone 4. I know that 99% of the comments in discussion and forums are from people who don't have an iPhone 4 and are just restating what they saw restated 100 times before by other non-iPhone users, but obviously the problem is out there. Engadget said that one of their iPhone 4's had the reception (not holding it right) issue, but their other ones did not. Maybe they just haven't seen it happen and at some point it will - I don't know. I'm hoping that the issue is a manufacturing defect, and that it will be fixed. Apple has always, it seems to me, had their share of issues with defects, especially with initial shipments. My first 3GS died on me, but the replacement has worked perfectly. At least they have a great exchange policy.

Holy shit that video was funny. I'm going to preorder the iPhone 4 today I think. What is the current time table? I think I read July 15th but that may be old info now...

Planning on camping the AT&T store near my house tonight, they said they got 30 last year and sold out within an hour. But last year they didn't sell preorders and then sell first come first serve, so I am trying to be first in line.

Never camped anything before because when the consoles came out I worked at GameCrazy, should be fun.

[quote name='arcane93']Make up your own mind what's best for you, of course, but I'll tell you what killed the Android phones for me more than anything, because I was seriously considering a switch . . . Even though the current phones have SD card slots and advertise as much as 8gb of internal memory, most of that can only be used to store media. The actual memory that can be used for apps is much smaller -- the EVO has 1gb of memory that it lets you install apps to; the Droid Incredible only has 512mb. Given that I have a number of apps (games, mostly) on the iPhone that are 300mb or more each by themselves, that just didn't seem adequate at all. Google has said that they're working on doing something about this limitation, but they've been very vague, and it's been suggested that the whole not allowing apps to be installed to SD cards thing is meant as an anti-piracy feature, so I'm not holding my breath.[/QUOTE]

1266425485543.jpg

Since the Captivate, AT&T's Galaxy S, will have 16 gigs of memory on the phone this isn't really an issue for me.

[quote name='M1C13']Planning on camping the AT&T store near my house tonight, they said they got 30 last year and sold out within an hour. But last year they didn't sell preorders and then sell first come first serve, so I am trying to be first in line.

Never camped anything before because when the consoles came out I worked at GameCrazy, should be fun.[/QUOTE]

Are all AT&T stores getting their first iPhones in tonight? I was just at one and the guy said if I showed up early tomorrow I could get one pretty easily.

There really aren't good cases available yet. I will say that I did upgrade the 3Gs to the new OS4 and my batter life took a big hit.

[quote name='SoonerMatt']Since the Captivate, AT&T's Galaxy S, will have 16 gigs of memory on the phone this isn't really an issue for me.[/QUOTE]

You didn't read what I said, though. The Droid Incredible has 8gb of memory built in, but that memory is for media, not for apps -- it only has 748mb that can be used for apps (sorry, misremembered it as 512mb when I was posting last night). When you look at the specs on an Android phone, the number that you want to look at for apps (rather unintuitivly, imho) is the ROM.

So, for example, on the Droid Incredible specs, it has:

• 512mb RAM - this is the memory used for running applications, etc., just as you would expect it to be

• 748mb ROM (actually 1gb, but some is reserved for the OS and built-in apps) - this is where you can install apps to run on the phone

• 8gb memory - this is for media (music, pictures, video, etc.) only, no apps can be installed to it
I haven't seen definitive specs for the ROM on the Galaxy S yet. One place that I read on the internet said it will have 1.8gb free for apps (out of 2gb; again, 0.2gb is reserved for the OS), but I don't know if that was the least bit accurate. If it is right, that's definitely better, but still not great. Like I said, definitely do your research and make sure that you know exactly what you're getting.

[quote name='naiku']http://lifehacker.com/5572003/how-to-downgrade-your-iphone-3g[s]-from-ios-4-to-ios-313

article scared me off from even bothering w/ iOS4 & my 3g phone.[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks for that. Since I'm no longer relying on the 3G as my phone, I'll give Apple an OS update to get iOS 4 fixed for it. If I still have problems after that, though, I'm definitely dropping it back. It's going to be primarily an mp3 player at this point anyway, so I don't really need all of the extra iOS 4 functionality on it.

so if I am using a 3G it is worth it to upgrade iOS4? Seems like it is not making any huge difference.

[quote name='arcane93']
I haven't seen definitive specs for the ROM on the Galaxy S yet. One place that I read on the internet said it will have 1.8gb free for apps (out of 2gb; again, 0.2gb is reserved for the OS), but I don't know if that was the least bit accurate. If it is right, that's definitely better, but still not great. Like I said, definitely do your research and make sure that you know exactly what you're getting.[/QUOTE]

Not sure the accuracy, but a quick google turned up this: http://phandroid.com/2010/06/20/samsung-galaxy-s-pro-gets-specced/

Which says the Galaxy S has 8.2 GB ROM, but no details on how much is free, available for apps etc.

[quote name='62t']so if I am using a 3G it is worth it to upgrade iOS4? Seems like it is not making any huge difference.[/QUOTE]

I updated my 3G to iOS4 right before buying my iPhone 4 and it was real sluggish. I wouldn't recommend it really. The folders was nice but thats about it.

[quote name='62t']so if I am using a 3G it is worth it to upgrade iOS4? Seems like it is not making any huge difference.[/QUOTE]

Given my experience with it, I would avoid it like the plague on a 3G, at least until we see if they clear up some of the problems with the next update. The only really significant extra feature that you get on the 3G is the folders, which are nice, but probably not essential if you've been living without them for this long.

On the other hand, I've heard generally positive reports about it on the 3GS, so the caveats don't necessarily apply to it.

I want to get the new iPhone tomorrow from the AT&T store but I'm not eligible for an upgrade. Instead of paying the $399 can I just upgrade my dad's line to an iPhone 4, give him my 3GS, and take the iPhone 4 for myself? Is that shady? It would save me the trouble of trying to ebay/craigslist my 3GS and AT&T would have another customer on a data plan.

bread's done
Back