iPhone, iPad & iOS Discussion -- White iPhone on Sale 4/28

[quote name='javeryh']Are all AT&T stores getting their first iPhones in tonight? I was just at one and the guy said if I showed up early tomorrow I could get one pretty easily.[/QUOTE]
Thats what they are saying they did pre-order only on iphone 4 release day, and tomorrow they are doing their release to the public, first come first serve. I am waiting to be number 1 in line. Also hoping they have accessories.

I called the store I am going to and they said they couldn't tell me how many or when they were getting them in because of possible theft, during the night before the release.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']I want to get the new iPhone tomorrow from the AT&T store but I'm not eligible for an upgrade. Instead of paying the $399 can I just upgrade my dad's line to an iPhone 4, give him my 3GS, and take the iPhone 4 for myself? Is that shady? It would save me the trouble of trying to ebay/craigslist my 3GS and AT&T would have another customer on a data plan.[/QUOTE]

You'll probably have to get AT&T to do some magic with the SIM cards to swap the accounts -- you can't just swap them because the 3GS uses a regular SIM while the 4 uses a MicroSIM. They might charge you something for that? Not sure. Other than that, I don't see why it would be a big deal. Well, other than the fact that if I was your dad, my response would be "yeah, right." :lol:

[quote name='n4styn4t3']I want to get the new iPhone tomorrow from the AT&T store but I'm not eligible for an upgrade. Instead of paying the $399 can I just upgrade my dad's line to an iPhone 4, give him my 3GS, and take the iPhone 4 for myself? Is that shady? It would save me the trouble of trying to ebay/craigslist my 3GS and AT&T would have another customer on a data plan.[/QUOTE]
Thats what me and my wife are doing, it isn't shady they have a video on their support site that walks you through how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=262Z5yrpYGs

You can actually cut a SIM down to make it a microSIM.

It's free and they're happy to do it. This weekend I had to get new microSIM for me (my phone came with a bum one) and a SIM swap with my wife's iphone 4 and our go phone.

[quote name='arcane93']You'll probably have to get AT&T to do some magic with the SIM cards to swap the accounts -- you can't just swap them because the 3GS uses a regular SIM while the 4 uses a MicroSIM. They might charge you something for that? Not sure. Other than that, I don't see why it would be a big deal. Well, other than the fact that if I was your dad, my response would be "yeah, right." :lol:[/QUOTE]

My dad doesn't know the first thing about technology. I'm giving him my 3GS for free so I think it's a win win.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']My dad doesn't know the first thing about technology. I'm giving him my 3GS for free so I think it's a win win.[/QUOTE]
But aren't you also forcing him to pay at least $15 more a month for his phone (if he has a regular cell phone now)?

[quote name='M1C13']But aren't you also forcing him to pay at least $15 more a month for his phone (if he has a regular cell phone now)?[/QUOTE]

I suppose so. Is there a way to use an iPhone without a data plan?

Only if you jail break it. Otherwise AT&T requires a data plan for all iPhones. But if you jailbreak it you can get phone service and just use WiFi for all the internet apps etc. I have a couple of friends who do that as they don't need 3G.

^
doesn't iOS 4 have the option to turn of cellular data? Couldn't you toss a random at&t phone sim into the iphone and have the feature turned off and be able to make calls & use wifi ?

ive lamented a few times about my reception issues with my 4. another mystery to add. my reception issue seems to be isolated to my work, very laggy when im inside the office building. i just switched to edge and everything works fine. not sure if this is related to the death grip or not, but for whatever reason my 4 doesnt like 3g inside the building. 3g works fine when i get outside.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']ive lamented a few times about my reception issues with my 4. another mystery to add. my reception issue seems to be isolated to my work, very laggy when im inside the office building. i just switched to edge and everything works fine. not sure if this is related to the death grip or not, but for whatever reason my 4 doesnt like 3g inside the building. 3g works fine when i get outside.[/QUOTE]

hmm..ive never thought about turning off 3g when at work....my reception at work is horrid at best.....sometimes while sitting in the same spot on the desk it will have full 3g then a few minutes later 1 bar of edge and ive even watched it go to "searching..." for like 2 or 3 minutes. Everyone at work has the same issues though

Over all the reception is much better when im out and about. I was just in walmart talking to my mom and she sounded crystal clear all throughout the building until the call dropped. I was like WTF? And then I looked at my hand placement. Yep..bridging the antennas.... I immediatley walked over to the electronics section and grabbed the $6 pack of DIY screen protectors. When I got home I cut 2 little squares and put them over the little black strip where the antennas meet. I cant get my signal to lose bars now when my palm is over both antennas. I guess even though my palm can still touch both antennas at the same time they arent close enough to form a good connection and kill the signal.

[quote name='naiku']^
doesn't iOS 4 have the option to turn of cellular data? Couldn't you toss a random at&t phone sim into the iphone and have the feature turned off and be able to make calls & use wifi ?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but that doesn't mean they don't know info about the device that you use. For instance, some people switching to go phones to sell their previous iphone were seeing their data plans dropped automatically.

Are there any "issues" with switching service from one device to another? I have AT&T on my blackberry and want to switch it to an iPhone. I was told by the guy at the store it wouldn't be a problem but then when I got back to the office I was told by someone here (not an IT guy) that the firm "won't be ready for the iPhone 4 until August" which seems crazy to me. We are currently running 3GS phones with no problem. I thought all they would have to do is switch the servise to the new iPhone 4 from my blackberry - why would my firm need to be "ready"?

[quote name='javeryh']Are there any "issues" with switching service from one device to another? I have AT&T on my blackberry and want to switch it to an iPhone. I was told by the guy at the store it wouldn't be a problem but then when I got back to the office I was told by someone here (not an IT guy) that the firm "won't be ready for the iPhone 4 until August" which seems crazy to me. We are currently running 3GS phones with no problem. I thought all they would have to do is switch the servise to the new iPhone 4 from my blackberry - why would my firm need to be "ready"?[/QUOTE]

doesnt make any sense to me.

[quote name='javeryh']Are there any "issues" with switching service from one device to another? I have AT&T on my blackberry and want to switch it to an iPhone. I was told by the guy at the store it wouldn't be a problem but then when I got back to the office I was told by someone here (not an IT guy) that the firm "won't be ready for the iPhone 4 until August" which seems crazy to me. We are currently running 3GS phones with no problem. I thought all they would have to do is switch the servise to the new iPhone 4 from my blackberry - why would my firm need to be "ready"?[/QUOTE]

they might be waiting till the antenna issues are ironed out or something like that

Do they use any of the enterprise features?

[quote name='javeryh']What's that?[/QUOTE]

Apple provides services for enterprise like encryption and remote wiping to protect their property. Do they do anything special with your phone like that?

Need a kick stand?

500x_iphoneplunger.jpg

I just called. They are out of phones but are expecting another shipment in between now and noon. I'm going to go over there at noon and hopefully I'll luck out. They are expecting 10 of them.

Found another feature update that I haven't seen documented anywhere . . .

A few weeks ago (while I still had the 3G and 3.x) I recorded a couple of songs at a concert I was at using the built-in Voice Memos app. It was sort of a spur-of-the-moment, see-what-I-get sort of thing. The quality didn't turn out too bad given the circumstances (a bit of clipping, but not nearly as muddled as I had feared) -- not really anything worth sharing or anything like that, but a nice memento.

When I tried to actually get the recording off of the phone, though, I discovered that there was no way to do so other than email or MMS, and it would only let me send a clip about a minute or so long. Not really very useful. So, I left the file sitting on the phone, figuring that I'd try to figure something out later.

Well, last night I was playing around with it, and discovered that the Voice Memos app in iOS 4 now lets you send a complete recording through email, regardless of size. It just attaches the whole file to an email with no problem.

Of course, the downside is that the file was 35.1mb, and apparently (according to the error message that I got) Gmail has an attachment limit of 34mb. And now the option of sending just part of the file seems to be gone completely (otherwise I'd have just split the songs into individual files). I'll have to try my other email accounts and see if any of them can handle it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if it's been mentioned here or not, but I just discovered the voice command on my phone. (hold down the home button until it comes on)

It's pretty sweet, its pretty much like Ford's Sync.

I camped last night at the closest store to my house, was 3rd in line, got my phone this morning, its AMAZING.

I picked one up this morning as well, last one of the morning batch. Coming from a 3G, I can say I'm blown away by it. I'm also not having any of the problems that have been reported earlier, either. The antenna thing is something I can replicate, but the way I've always held the iPhone makes it irrelevant. Since I had a 3G, the biggest benefit is easily the speed. It's like night and day. Made it worth for me right there.

Happy with the purchase, even though I ended up with a 32gb instead of the 16gb.

And yes, the screen is absolutely gorgeous.

[quote name='lmz00']Can't you sync voice memos with iTunes to get them on your computer?[/QUOTE]

It copies them over as part of a phone backup (so they transferred over to my iPhone 4 when I restored the backup from my 3G), but as far as I can find, anyway, there's no way to access/copy the individual audio files. A pretty significant oversight on Apple's part.

Edit: Oh, wait . . . apparently it's on the music sync page. Well, then. Only problem is that I have it set to let me manually manage my music rather than automatically sync it (hence why I never saw the option, I guess), so I don't know how that's going to work. Oh well, will have to give it a try tonight when I'm on my home computer.

Check your itunes folder. My voice memos are kept in there, ever since I had my G3.

As for this G4, I'm really really tempted to call Apple up and see if I can exchange it for the 32GB. Since I put movies on here for my son as well as games, I can see this thing will fill up in no time.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']As for this G4, I'm really really tempted to call Apple up and see if I can exchange it for the 32GB. Since I put movies on here for my son as well as games, I can see this thing will fill up in no time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I really can't imagine having anything other than the largest available. On the one hand, it feels like a huge rip-off paying an extra hundred dollars for an additional 16gb (seriously, Apple?), but on the other, I know that I'll fill it up in no time if I don't. I ran into some pretty significant issues with my 16gb 3G when I filled it and I had to delete a bunch of stuff before it started working right again, so 32gb this time was a no-brainer.

Still, I want to know Apple's excuse for not including 64gb or more for the price of these things. Relative to everything else, memory is cheap.

[quote name='arcane93']Still, I want to know Apple's excuse for not including 64gb or more for the price of these things. Relative to everything else, memory is cheap.[/QUOTE]

So they can sell 64GB iPhone 4Gs next year.

[quote name='javeryh']So they can sell 64GB iPhone 4Gs next year.[/QUOTE]
They said the same thing about the 3GS, and that didn't happen.

[quote name='lmz00']They said the same thing about the 3GS, and that didn't happen.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but there is a 64GB iPod Touch now so the 64GB iPhone has to be right around the corner.

[quote name='javeryh']Yeah but there is a 64GB iPod Touch now so the 64GB iPhone has to be right around the corner.[/QUOTE]

But then why not a 64gb iPhone 4? After all, the 64gb Touch has been out for well over half a year now. That only means there's even less excuse for it.

[quote name='arcane93']But then why not a 64gb iPhone 4? After all, the 64gb Touch has been out for well over half a year now. That only means there's even less excuse for it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The iPhone 3GS -> iPhone 4 is a HUGE upgrade. They are probably holding back for next year when they release the iPhone 4S or whatever so they can say "We delivered a 64GB iPhone like everyone wanted! We are so awesome!"

[quote name='javeryh']Exactly. The iPhone 3GS -> iPhone 4 is a HUGE upgrade. They are probably holding back for next year when they release the iPhone 4S or whatever so they can say "We delivered a 64GB iPhone like everyone wanted! We are so awesome!"[/QUOTE]

thats exactly whats going to happen

[quote name='javeryh']Yeah but there is a 64GB iPod Touch now so the 64GB iPhone has to be right around the corner.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='arcane93']But then why not a 64gb iPhone 4? After all, the 64gb Touch has been out for well over half a year now. That only means there's even less excuse for it.[/QUOTE]

The iPod touch has two NAND memory modules whereas the iphone only has 1. This is because the cellular radio takes up space that is otherwise available in the ipod touch. Thus, the highest capacity iphone will always be half of the highest capacity ipod touch, assuming they always put the max they can in. 64 GB NAND chips have only been available just recently, and Apple likely didn't like the cost associated with putting them in the iphone 4. (plus you have to consider production volume issues, if they exist).

You also have to remember that the most NAND any other manufacturer includes in their phone is 16 GB in the palm pre plus (and it's the only one with 16 GB, the rest are 8 GB or below). Apple is still top of the heap in that regards. We'll likely see 64 GB and 128 GB iphone and ipod touch next year, if I had to guess.

[quote name='Anexanhume']You also have to remember that the most NAND any other manufacturer includes in their phone is 16 GB in the palm pre plus (and it's the only one with 16 GB, the rest are 8 GB or below). Apple is still top of the heap in that regards.[/QUOTE]

Sure, but those other manufacturers also (for the most part anyway) put micro SD card slots or something similar in their phones. Give me removable storage, and I won't complain.

[quote name='rvdrock']Maybe to the Hulu plus, if I can use it on my iphone and my ps3, then it might be worth it...[/QUOTE]

meh, netflix streaming is coming and thats much more appealing since it will be free of charge to netflix subscribers. sure they dont have current seasons, but the catalog is plenty big for things id watch on my iphone.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Hulu anyone?

http://www.hulu.com/plus/devices[/QUOTE]

This (and the upcoming Netflix app) is precisely why there's no way in hell I'm giving up my unlimited data plan. :D

My only question is whether I'm still going to have to watch ads if I'm paying $9.99/month.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']meh, netflix streaming is coming and thats much more appealing since it will be free of charge to netflix subscribers. sure they dont have current seasons, but the catalog is plenty big for things id watch on my iphone.[/QUOTE]

Hulu has pretty much already replaced TV for me (disclaimer: I watch very little TV). With this, I'd likely be able to drop my cable subscription altogether.

[quote name='arcane93']Sure, but those other manufacturers also (for the most part anyway) put micro SD card slots or something similar in their phones. Give me removable storage, and I won't complain.[/QUOTE]

Have you manually synced gigs of data to an SD card? Even on the fast cards, I'd rather wipe my ass with a rake. When I had an android phone I thought I would be liberated, but I just missed the fast NAND.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']meh, netflix streaming is coming and thats much more appealing since it will be free of charge to netflix subscribers. sure they dont have current seasons, but the catalog is plenty big for things id watch on my iphone.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='arcane93']This (and the upcoming Netflix app) is precisely why there's no way in hell I'm giving up my unlimited data plan. :D

My only question is whether I'm still going to have to watch ads if I'm paying $9.99/month.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Just give me netflix and I'm good. Yes, there will still be ads (another reason it's horseshit).

[quote name='Anexanhume']Have you manually synced gigs of data to an SD card? Even on the fast cards, I'd rather wipe my ass with a rake. When I had an android phone I thought I would be liberated, but I just missed the fast NAND.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I'm not saying that I want an SD card to replace the NAND. The thing is, I would probably use the SD card mainly for media, and at that, mostly music. Once I had my mp3 collection (or whatever subset I'm putting on it, anyway) copied over to it, I would for the most part never have to touch it (except maybe to copy over one or two CDs at a time when I got something new). I don't think I'd be syncing gigs of data at a time very often at all. But then I could just have a few SD cards of music (maybe divided by genre or something? dunno) rather than having to transfer music onto and delete music off of the phone itself all the time.

I'm about ready to give up on this thing. I just went to preorder one and I was told that I have to get the phone through a company rep - she was swearing up and down that she couldn't place an order for me based on the corporate account we have. This is in direct opposition to what the head of IT here told me. She said order the phone and we will transfer the service when it comes in. Here's my situation:

1. I have a Verizon cell phone - it is mine (personal)
2. I have an AT&T Blackberry - it belongs to my company. It has a data plan ONLY. The bill comes in MY name and is paid by me on a monthly basis and then I get reimbursed by my company. I am eligible for an upgrade (2 year contract is up in January).
3. I want to buy an iPhone (it will be mine for personal use) and transfer my Verizon cell phone number and the Blackberry data plan to it.

I was told by IT Services at my company that this should be no problem. I was told by AT&T yesterday over the phone that this would be no problem but I had to physically go into the store and preorder the iPhone. I just went in to preorder and was told I couldn't. This shouldn't be this difficult. I'm so annoyed.

The iPhone supposedly coming to Verizon in January was all over ABC news this morning. Assuming that's true, you might not have to change phone companies, provided you don't mind waiting a few more months.

Honestly, until Steve Jobs walks on stage in front of a gigantic Verizon sign, I'm not believing anything.

I have to say, though, that it'd be a hell of a dick-move to launch so soon after this many people locked themselves in with AT&T.

Oh, and the law firm that's trying to start a class-action lawsuit over the antenna issue? Christ. I think it's certainly something that needs to be addressed, but the sheer fact also remains that there are just as many people (myself included) who have had zero reception or dropped call issues so far. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I live in the middle of nowhere. :lol:

bread's done
Back