iPhone, iPad & iOS Discussion -- White iPhone on Sale 4/28

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I don't recall if I got an email from them but I was always able to keep track of it on their site.[/QUOTE]

Heh - forgot about that. I ordered on July 6 and it is going to arrive TOMORROW. Pretty quick. Too bad I won't be around to get it until Monday.

Finally managed to get hold of a bumper this evening. It definitely has its good points and bad points.

The good:

• It looks nice on the phone. While a lot of cases ruin the aesthetics, this does just about as good a job of complimenting them as could be expected from any case.

• It has actual buttons, that both look and feel like buttons. I don't care for the molded-in raised spots that a lot of cases put in place of the buttons, both from an aesthetic standpoint and because they often make the buttons a lot harder to push.

• It covers the sides well, and the rubber along the edges comes up over the edge of the glass just enough to cover the edges of it, which as I've noted before is where the phone is most likely to take damage in a drop. I really do think this will protect the phone just as well as any other case will -- i.e., regardless of the case, there are still risks, but this will do a reasonable job.

• It also covers the edges of the glass just enough that the edges of my screen protector are covered as well, making them less likely to get accidentally peeled up off of the phone.

• It actually seems a little more comfortable to hold up to the face when being used as an actual phone. I found the corners of the metal a little uncomfortable to hold for any amount of time in that position, and the rounded plastic edges of this are a lot more pleasant to deal with.
The bad:

• It makes the phone feel bulky. That's weird to say given that it's only on the sides, and it's still a lot less bulky than the hard-shell case I had over my entire 3G, but it's definitely noticeable. I assume that's because I've gotten used to the phone without a case over the last few weeks. It'll take some getting used to having the bumper on it now.

• Buttons are still a little bit harder to push than they are without a case -- particularly the top button, which on the bumper doesn't stick out much.

• Unlike the buttons, which are covered/replaced with the bumper's own equivalents, there's just a hole for the ringer switch. The switch is very recessed in the hole, and is a lot harder to reach because of it. It's not unreachable, but it'll be a lot harder to just reach into a pocket and flick it on or off.

• The opening for the docking port is too small for my third-party cables -- the only cables that I own that will fit with the bumper on are the Apple cables. I hope I can find some decently-priced ones that actually fit, because I have several in different locations for convenience (my office, my car, my computer, my bedroom), and I'm not at all thrilled with the idea of having to replace all of them with the Apple cables at $20 each.

• Speaking of overpriced Apple accessories, the bumper itself is severely overpriced for what it is -- a molded piece of plastic and rubber that probably didn't cost Apple more than a dollar to make. But we already knew that.

• A lot of third-party headphone plugs probably won't fit in the fairly narrow headphone jack opening. Fortunately, my JVC headphones seem to fit, but I've had other pairs in the past that I know would not have.

• Final bad point: You actually have to go into an Apple Store to buy one. I swear that the Apple Stores around here make all of their employees go through mandatory douche training before letting them out on the floor. If I ever got an Apple Store employee who was capable of both being helpful and not copping an attitude, I'd probably faint from the shock. Even getting someone to just ring me out was a chore.
All-in-all, despite the issues, I'd say that the good points outweigh them and it's a worthwhile buy. I don't know that it's necessarily my iPhone 4 case forever and ever, but until I actually find another one that I like (haven't found one yet that I've even been willing to concede to) it'll do the trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apple iPhone 4G
apple-iphone-4-31.jpg

Anyone have one already? Going to get one?

Feel free to discuss your experience with the iPhone 4. Share your thoughts, concerns, tips/advice, tricks, etc.

The new 4G is sick, and I'm hoping to get my hands on my first iPhone. Unfortunately it won't be until November when my contract expires, so I can renew it and get a new phone.

Official iPhone 4 Release Video: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/apple-iphone-4/2/#ooid=1jMWZnMTrhuYB91MVNZwORpd4ZAaNjuX

iPhone 4 Features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9nN6LPB3V8

Apple's iPhone 4 Features/Info: http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/

iPhone 4 Technical Specifications:

Size & Weight

Height:4.5 inches (115.2 mm)Width:2.31 inches (58.6 mm)Depth:0.37 inch (9.3 mm)Weight:4.8 ounces (137 grams)

Cellular/Wireless

• UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
  • 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)
  • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR wireless technology
  • Assisted GPS
  • Digital compass
  • Wi-Fi
  • Cellular
Power & Battery

• Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
  • Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
  • Talk time:Up to 7 hours on 3GUp to 14 hours on 2G
  • Standby time: Up to 300 hours
  • Internet use:Up to 6 hours on 3GUp to 10 hours on Wi-Fi
  • Video playback: Up to 10 hours
  • Audio playback: Up to 40 hours
Mac System Requirements

• Mac computer with USB 2.0 port
  • Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later
  • iTunes 9.2 or later (free download from www.itunes.com/download)
  • iTunes Store account
  • Internet access
Windows System Requirements

• PC with USB 2.0 port
  • Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
  • iTunes 9.2 or later (free download from www.itunes.com/download)
  • iTunes Store account
  • Internet access
Environmental Requirements

• Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F
    (0° to 35° C)
  • Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F
    (-20° to 45° C)
  • Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
  • Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)
Capacity

• 16GB or 32GB flash drive
Color

• White or black
Display

• Retina display
  • 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display
  • 960-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi
  • 800:1 contrast ratio (typical)
  • Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front and back
  • Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
Audio Playback

• Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
  • Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV
  • User-configurable maximum volume limit
TV & Video

• Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
  • Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable (cables sold separately)
Languages

• Language support for English (U.S.), English (UK), French (France), German, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Korean, Japanese, Russian, Polish, Turkish, Ukrainian, Hungarian, Arabic, Thai, Czech, Greek, Hebrew, Indonesian, Malay, Romanian, Slovak, Croatian, Catalan, and Vietnamese
  • Keyboard support for English (U.S.), English (UK), French (France), French (Canadian), French (Switzerland), German, Traditional Chinese (Handwriting, Pinyin, Zhuyin, Cangjie, Wubihua), Simplified Chinese (Handwriting, Pinyin, Wubihua), Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Korean, Japanese (Romaji), Japanese (Kana), Russian, Polish, Turkish, Ukrainian, Estonian, Hungarian, Icelandic, Lithuanian, Latvian, Flemish, Arabic, Thai, Czech, Greek, Hebrew, Indonesian, Malay, Romanian, Slovak, Croatian, Bulgarian, Serbian (Cyrillic/Latin), Catalan, and Vietnamese
  • Dictionary support (enables predictive text and autocorrect) for English (U.S.), English (UK), French, German, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Korean, Japanese (Romaji), Japanese (Kana), Russian, Polish, Turkish, Ukrainian, Hungarian, Lithuanian, Flemish, Arabic, Thai, Czech, Greek, Hebrew, Indonesian, Malaysian, Romanian, Slovak, Croatian, Catalan, and Vietnamese
Camera, Photos, and Video

• Video recording, HD (720p) up to 30 frames per second with audio
  • 5-megapixel still camera
  • VGA-quality photos and video at up to 30 frames per second with the front camera
  • Tap to focus video or still images
  • LED flash
  • Photo and video geotagging
External Buttons/Controls

• Sleep/wake
  • Ring/silent
  • Volume up/down
  • Home
Sensors

• Three-axis gyro
  • Accelerometer
  • Proximity sensor
  • Ambient light sensor
Connectors & Input/Output

• 30-pin dock connector
  • 3.5-mm stereo headphone minijack
  • Built-in speaker
  • Microphone
  • Micro-SIM card tray
Headphones

• Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic
  • Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
  • Impedance: 32 ohms
What's In the Box?

• iPhone 4
  • Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic
  • Dock Connector to USB Cable
  • USB Power Adapter
  • Documentation

This thread reminded me... any new movement on the white one yet? I assumed that 'after mid-July' is coming up soon, and there doesn't seem to be any sign of pre-orders yet.

I already snagged a black one a while ago, I was just sort of curious. Nebulous future dates didn't inspire me enough to wait.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']i added your post to the OP jax since its so detailed[/QUOTE]

Oh ok, great, that's fine by me. Was my careless mistake anyway. Thanks man! :)

[quote name='perdition(troy']supposedly the jailbreak is about to be leaked.[/QUOTE]

i highly suggest you not use a "leaked" jailbreak. You should wait for an official release. You are playing with fire if you do.

I do miss Cydia but I think I'll wait a couple months or even a year (when warranty expires) before I jailbreak again.

---------

Finally scored a 50% off code to Zagg and ordered myself a skin. :D

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I do miss Cydia but I think I'll wait a couple months or even a year (when warranty expires) before I jailbreak again.

---------

Finally scored a 50% off code to Zagg and ordered myself a skin. :D[/QUOTE]

what does warranty have to do with it? as soon as musclenerd says its good to go im jailbreaking my phone. There are too many things I miss like 5 icon dock, sbsettings, winterboard, irealquicksms, 3G unrestrictor, pdanet, activator, etc

Well, if something goes wrong with the phone while its jailbroken I won't be able to get warranty service, so that's why I waited about a year with my 3G, and I might do the same with my 4.

Does a jailbroken phone lock you out from the iTunes store and other "legit" stuff? I guess I'm wondering if there are any disadvantages to a jailbroken phone.

[quote name='javeryh']Does a jailbroken phone lock you out from the iTunes store and other "legit" stuff? I guess I'm wondering if there are any disadvantages to a jailbroken phone.[/QUOTE]

nope you can get legit stuff just fine, nor do you need to upgrade to the latest firmware for most apps. Yea it is kind of a shocking coming from video game consoles

[quote name='javeryh']So what are the benefits of a jailbroken phone now that there are folders and multitasking in the legit software?[/QUOTE]

customization & tethering.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Well, if something goes wrong with the phone while its jailbroken I won't be able to get warranty service, so that's why I waited about a year with my 3G, and I might do the same with my 4.[/QUOTE]

You restore the phone in itunes and take it in for the warranty work. They cant tell if it was jailbroken

[quote name='javeryh']Does a jailbroken phone lock you out from the iTunes store and other "legit" stuff? I guess I'm wondering if there are any disadvantages to a jailbroken phone.[/QUOTE]

No, the phone has no clue it is jailbroken.

[quote name='javeryh']So what are the benefits of a jailbroken phone now that there are folders and multitasking in the legit software?[/QUOTE]

all the awesome apps which apple doesnt allow due to their stupid rules end up on cydia... my favs are:

irealquicksms
5 icon dock
sbsettings
pdanet
etc

Quick question about text messaging with the iPhone 4...

I heard there is a text messaging app so that you don't have to pay for a text messaging plan? So what if you text to non-iPhone users, are those free too?

Thanks!

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']customization & tethering.[/QUOTE]
waaaaaaaiiiiiitt.

you can tether your iphone w/o paying the ridiculous fee?

Those of you who don't want the rubbery feel of the the Zagg try out a product called BodyGuardz. I put it on my girls Droid and it's flawless.

[quote name='shosh']waaaaaaaiiiiiitt.

you can tether your iphone w/o paying the ridiculous fee?[/QUOTE]

Ive been tethering since i first got my 3G

I received my Case-Mate Gelli Case and so far I like it. It looks better in person than it looked on their website. I really like how it adds a pattern to the back, but doesn't obscure it - the entire back is visible. Also you can still see the side metal bands. From a looks standpoint it complements the iPhone really well. The TPC material also feels really nice in hand - better then without it. The buttons are covered, but work perfectly and easily through it. The holes for the back camera and flash, headphone jack and mute switch line up quite well. The dock connector and speaker opening is plenty big and lines up very well. However, that is the one shortcoming of this case as well. Due, I think, to the generous opening at the dock connector, the bottom front edge of the case feels pretty loose. Even very loose. I think it's only a minor nuisance, though, and working with all dock connectors is a big plus. The headphone jack opening is relatively generous and the case is not too thick, but I haven't yet tried plugging my headphones in. I'll update with that info in a bit.

The case does reduce the attenuation problem, but doesn't completely eliminate it. I think, though, that the problem is changed to a normal amount.

So, though this is only after a short time of use, so far I'm actually really pleased with this case. The phone looks really good in it, it protects the back of the phone while still keeping it entirely visible (and adds a cool pattern), it feels much nicer in hand then the bare phone, and it reduces the attenuation problem, plus it's only $20 and comes with a cleaning cloth and screen protector.

I will post pictures in a bit.

My wife and I are out and about and we have been actively trying to kill the antenna reception with the death grip and neither one of our phones will even lose a bar of 3G. Tried multiple times at different spots around town. Just lucky I guess that our phones don't have that problem.

My biggest complaint (hers too) is the proximity sensor. It needs to be much more sensitive.

Just read about geohotz and how he jailbroke his iPhone 4 the day he got it but isn't releasing it. Kinda crappy that he dangles that in front of everyone and then says he isn't releasing it. Would have rather him stayed tight lipped about it.

My damned headset broke less than a week after getting the phone. Boo... Headed to the Apple store this weekend to get it replaced.

My Westone UM2 headphones, which have an angled plug, work fine with the Case-Mate Gelli case. The case does stretch slightly with the headphones plugged in, but it isn't a problem.

Regarding it's affect on the attenuation problem, I did a highly unscientific test. When I sit on one corner of our couch, when I had the 3GS I would often get no signal at all. With the uncased iPhone 4, when NOT held I see 4 bars. When I bridge the gap left handed, the signal drops to zero (searching) in roughly 10 seconds. With the Case-Mate case on it dropped to 1 bar in perhaps 20 seconds, and then stayed there for a several minutes and didn't go to zero. I took the case back off and set the phone down and it went back up to 4 bars. I picked it up (uncased), left handed and within 10 seconds it was searching. I quickly put the case back on and held it left handed and after about two minutes the signal returned at 1 bar and stayed there.

So the case has an effect, and though it isn't a dramatic one, it can make a difference. Also note that with the 3GS I often never had a signal in this spot at all. FYI, held right handed the signal stays at about 3 bars.

Now some photos of my iPhone 4 with the Gray Case-Mate Gelli case. The pictures are very grainy - the case doesn't look grainy at all! I took these with my 3GS, indoors with room lighting. Hopefully it gives you the idea, though. It definitely shows how the iPhone is visible pretty much in entirety when in this case, and the pattern on the back of the case, which is actually pretty nice. I do think this case looks really good and I love that it still shows off the design of the iPhone 4 itself.

Here is the case on their site: http://www.case-mate.com/iPhone-4-Cases/Case-Mate-iPhone-4-Gelli-Cases.asp

That's one of my kids' hands in those last two. :)

That's pretty cool. I have a similar one but the hole for the headphones is too small. Is it a hard plastic case or soft plastic/silicone?

EDIT: NVM just saw the video on the website. I'll have to pass, I like the hard cases better.

I swung by the Apple store in the mall today. They finally had those bands in (whatever they call 'em). Still, I wasn't going to plunk down $29 and change for one.

Still waiting on the Otterbox Defender case to show on their site; I hope it's good.

My iPhone 3G has just a few minutes left on ebay. Not doing too bad.

How much is it at? I'm planning on selling mine soon. Also did you do anything special to wipe your data besides going into settings and deleting all the stuff?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']How much is it at? I'm planning on selling mine soon. Also did you do anything special to wipe your data besides going into settings and deleting all the stuff?[/QUOTE]

Finished at $192.50. Pretty good. I was including everything but the earbuds.

Just cleared the settings (via the menu), and removed the SIM card.

The TPC plastic is much firmer then silicone, but still flexible. It doesn't exactly feel rubbery, more like a somewhat soft plastic with a bit of cushion to it. It's smooth, but does have some tackiness too, so it has some grip, but not too much, and feels good in hand. It doesn't catch on fabric. Also it has no smell at all, unlike some silicone cases I've had in the past. I'm really happy with it. For $20, with a screen protector (if you want one of those), it's a bargain.

[quote name='Rig']Finished at $192.50. Pretty good. I was including everything but the earbuds.

Just cleared the settings (via the menu), and removed the SIM card.[/QUOTE]
was it the 3g and not 3gs and what capacity was the hard drive

also it seems that the death grip is for real. in an area where i get all bars with my iphone 3g, if i apply the death grip on my new phone i get down to 1 bar. are the rubber bands suppose to resolve that problem?

My wife got water damage in her phone....the screen stop responding to touch. Tried to restore it but it refuses to restore and is stuck in recovery mode. Im trying some magic but I still think ill probably take it into the apple store and plunk down another $200 to get her a new one.... super...

EDIT: my wife was reading around and some people have said it was from humidity (phone on the counter while taking a shower) and apple replaced their phones for free. Might try that angle.

Quick question as I don't really follow phones: How long does the battery on the Iphone 4 last? My buddy recently got an HTC Evo and the battery does burn out pretty quick (amazing little thing though!)

[quote name='DrSodaberg']Quick question as I don't really follow phones: How long does the battery on the Iphone 4 last? My buddy recently got an HTC Evo and the battery does burn out pretty quick (amazing little thing though!)[/QUOTE]

It lasts longer than on the 3G thats for sure. For general use (few phone calls, bunch of texts, few games here and there, facebook, web, etc) throughout the day it usually lasts till i go to bed. Every once in a while i plug mine in while hanging out just to give it a little extra boost to make it through the day

Really dumb questions:

1. How do I pick and choose songs to sync to my iPhone? I can't seem to drag and drop anything over. I can't sync to my entire library (it's way too large) and the only option I seem to have is to sync artists - all of their albums without the ability to pick and choose songs. What am I missing?

2. How do I update Apps? My iPhone says there are 6 Apps that have updates available but I need to DL them in iTunes - how do I do that?

[quote name='javeryh']Really dumb questions:

1. How do I pick and choose songs to sync to my iPhone? I can't seem to drag and drop anything over. I can't sync to my entire library (it's way too large) and the only option I seem to have is to sync artists - all of their albums without the ability to pick and choose songs. What am I missing?

2. How do I update Apps? My iPhone says there are 6 Apps that have updates available but I need to DL them in iTunes - how do I do that?[/QUOTE]

1. http://www.ehow.com/how_2016219_sync-songs-ipod.html

2. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=552794

[quote name='shosh']was it the 3g and not 3gs and what capacity was the hard drive

also it seems that the death grip is for real. in an area where i get all bars with my iphone 3g, if i apply the death grip on my new phone i get down to 1 bar. are the rubber bands suppose to resolve that problem?[/QUOTE]

It was the 3G, 8GB model. 3GS seems to get a bit more price-wise (as it should, as it's fairly faster).

Also, jailbroken phones seem to get up there quite a bit higher. Might be worth jailbreaking a phone before selling it just to grab the extra cash.

[quote name='Rig']It was the 3G, 8GB model. 3GS seems to get a bit more price-wise (as it should, as it's fairly faster).

Also, jailbroken phones seem to get up there quite a bit higher. Might be worth jailbreaking a phone before selling it just to grab the extra cash.[/QUOTE]

Damn that's a nice amount. I'm going to be selling an iPhone 3G in October when my wife is eligible for the upgrade. I guess I'll figure out how to jailbreak it if I can get some more money out of it.

[quote name='javeryh']Damn that's a nice amount. I'm going to be selling an iPhone 3G in October when my wife is eligible for the upgrade. I guess I'll figure out how to jailbreak it if I can get some more money out of it.[/QUOTE]
why is she eligible in oct but not now? my 2 year was up in the end of january actually and they gave me an upgrade.
and jailbreaking it doesn't really do anything to the value.

unlocking it does though. it can add an extra 100 bucks.

bread's done
Back