iPhone OS 3.0 & 3GS Disscussion

Hey guys, what are the pros and cons of jailbreaking an iPhone? Also, will a jailbroken iPhone play any kind of video or will I need to convert them still?

Pros : Stealing and Themeing

Cons : Uh... unstable if you don't know what your doin?

You will still need to convert them. It is separate from jailbreaking.

Has anyone noticed that the controls while playing a video have been much less responsive after the 3.0 FW update?

What do you guys think about this heat problem?

My contract with Sprint is up and my birthday's in two days so I'm considering picking up an iPhone... I called the Customer Service line and they said that I could port my Seattle number over to my mom's Louisiana plan. One question though, I forgot to ask them, if I do it do I have to go to an AT&T store, Apple store, or would either work? Apple stores I know have them in stock... not sure if the AT&T store would, since their website says they're backordered.

[quote name='help1']Hey guys, what are the pros and cons of jailbreaking an iPhone? Also, will a jailbroken iPhone play any kind of video or will I need to convert them still?[/QUOTE]

yes, there are apps out there that will let you play uncoverted videos.

the downside to jailbreaking, well you void your warranty. also, you have to restore and rejailbreak your phone each time theres a new update to the firmware. so you have to pack up your pictures, phones numbers, etc and then reinstall any tweaks, themes etc, which is annoying.

i have a jailbroken iphone, i dont pirate the games (if you have to pirate a $1.99 game you probably can spend money on better things than an iphone), but i do very much enjoy being able to tweak my theme, adjust things like my dock, have custom sounds and icons and have features like tethering (tethering itself is a grey area piracy considering ATT doesnt allow it normally), that arent normally available. heres my theme below, i know its aweome right?

50352279383502567125452.jpg

[quote name='Anexanhume']It's a lie, really? Did you look up the chips from a site like ifixit and consult their datasheets?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Anexanhume']The simple explanation is that the radios are different. The more complicated explanation would have to do with actually consulting the details of their radios. It can't simply be that it requires 3G, because apple certainly can't assume all 3G phones will have that sort of connection. So, it has to be possible to send MMS over EDGE. So, is there any difference between how the radios handle EDGE connections? (or gprs for that matter) You'd have to consult the datasheets to be sure (if that info is disclosed). Then, you'd have your answer as to whether or not Apple is strictly limiting it through software rather than having an actual hardware difference. I'm inclined to believe it's software, but I don't know the details, which is why I asked you if you did.

While it's possible Apple is lying, if it's software limited, it will likely be discovered quickly. There will be quite a backlash from that because people can call Apple on an outright lie. I don't think they're doing that, at least not outright. There's plenty of half-truths in a lot of things they say.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dallow']I bet once 3.0 is released they'll find a way to enable it.
What happened to the ifixit chips and bits talk you had going?[/QUOTE]

Dug up this guy and my posts from the first page of this thread dated months ago.
Yup, they've found how to enable the same MMS settings for the 2G phone that the 3G has.

Went to an AT&T store today and got some info. They were out of iphones though. I plan on going to an Apple store tomorrow, which the online stock check says has iphones, to get mine.. excited. What apps are musts?

I picked up a 32GB 3GS the other day, unlocked it and used it for about two days, then took it back. IMO, the upgrades over the original iPhone aren't worth $600, or however much it would've cost for me to break my AT&T contract. That, and I'm quite fond of the metal and being able to download updates without having to worry about losing my unlock.

yesterday i went to a bunch of places -- 2 AT&T stores, 2 Apple stores, 1 Mac store -- in search of an iphone... ended up ordering one from the second AT&T store I went to, $340, they told me it'd take 7 - 14 days but the tracking info says it'll be there tomorrow before 3pm. bitchin.

it's especially cool cause today's my birthday, i wanted to get it yesterday as a bday present, so it's cool that it'll only be 1 day late instead of 1 - 2 weeks late

i'm transferring my SERO plan ($30/mo for unlimited txt and data + 500 minutes) to a friend so the deal doesn't die, and selling my motoQ to him for $30

everything worked out.. the only slight downside is now my monthly bill's gonna double in price.

[quote name='Koggit']

everything worked out.. the only slight downside is now my monthly bill's gonna double in price.[/QUOTE]

Double if your lucky/don't use text messages. :whistle2:#

Yeah, losing SERO's awesome price was my biggest concern before I picked up my 3G a year ago. But the iPhone is sooooooooo much better than a MotoQ that it almost justifies the expense.

Has anyone with a 3G noticed a severe drop in battery life with the 3.0 software?

There are days where I get less than 2 hours of life when listening to streaming radio, even with Push turned off.

Even when I plug it in, the phone won't charge when streaming audio.

Well I'm gonna be piggy-backing on my parents' family plan so it's just $60 ($10 for the line, $30 for data, $20 for texting)... I pretty much never talk, just text. Hard to say "just" $60 when it's double what I'm paying now, but it's better than a solo plan

Wanted to update and say HOLY SHIT AIR MOUSE IS AWESOME.

so badass.

for those who don't know, there's an app called Air Mouse for super cheap that lets you use the iphone as a trackpad for your PC (you install Air Mouse software on the PC(s) you want to control)... absolutely ingenious.

i was just about to buy a $80 keyboard with trackpad for my HTPC... but an iphone with Air Mouse is every bit as good.

my second favorite app is Cocktail Compass, which gives you a list of happy hours in Seattle sorted by distance (using the GPS) and puts a cab just 1 button away.

on the downside... texting sucks. I feel I've gotten used to it (there was a learning curve of learning to trust the touchscreen & apple's autocorrect stuff) but it's still nowhere near as easy to type on as my moto Q. at this point i'm not even sure if i'll keep the iphone, because as i said i do a lot of texting.

but i'm loving everything else, especially especially Air Mouse.

Just went in to see how I could get an Iphone on my current family plan. Not eligible for an early upgrade for another 12 months. Would have to pay $300 for a 3G 8GB or $600-$700 for the 3Gs. The only way to get a discount would be to leave my parents plan, but then service would be almost $90 a month.

not exactly direct iphone question, but I feel it belongs here over starting a new thread.

the headphones/mic that comes with the iphone, is there an adapter that will allow you to plug that into a regular cordless phone? If so, will it enable the mic option as well, or just the headset?

really annoyed by this iphone problem: after a couple minutes of it being asleep (like not doing anything and letting it autolock.. or pressing the top button to lock it) and then trying to wake it up, it takes a while to do anything. is this normal?

if i let it sit for like 5 minutes, then press the home button or top button to wake it up, it'll delay ~5 seconds before displaying the wallpaper with the unlock slide... does that happen for other people?

mine's 3gs.. reset (holding top button & home button until the apple appeared) and it seems better now, hopefully it stays better

Nope, woke up this morning and it has the same problem.. pressed home and it took 5 - 10 seconds to display anything.

Nobody else had this problem with their 3gs? If not I think I'll stop by the store or something.. I'm still in my first 30 days I could return/exchange it.

I just caved and bought iRealQuickSMS. It is the coolest fucking thing I have on my phone. Just couldnt live without it after upgrading to 3.0. Quick text/send should be a built in feature of the phone to begin with..i HATE having to quit out of something just to reply to a text. Oh well...about $7 well spent (4.99 EUR).

Koggit,
Give the texting some practice it will come. I have a 3gs and practice makes perfect.

What is the best texting app so I dont have to pay for the texting with att?

[quote name='Freeisgood']Koggit,
Give the texting some practice it will come. I have a 3gs and practice makes perfect.

What is the best texting app so I dont have to pay for the texting with att?[/QUOTE]

i dunno man.. i do about 50 - 100 a day (so sending 25 - 50) and i've had it for a month and i still don't like it. it's alright, it's just not nearly as good as a physical keyboard. really, i miss my $30/month moto Q. the iphone is nice & all... but overall it's costing $1740 for two years where-as the motoQ would've been $720, and at those prices the iphone is nowhere near worth it... maybe if it were the perfect phone that'd be alright, but flaws are hard to accept at such a high price.

I didn't close out my Sprint plan... I just xferred it to a friend and sold him my Q for $30... so hopefully after two years he doesnt want it anymore and will trade back.

[quote name='Freeisgood']
What is the best texting app so I dont have to pay for the texting with att?[/QUOTE]

I've always wondered about these too. How do they work, exactly?

[quote name='Freeisgood']

AIM works well, provided the recipient isn't on T-Mobile.

AIM texts never go to T-Mobile customers it seems.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I've always wondered about these too. How do they work, exactly?[/QUOTE]

The text gets sent to the AIM server as data not SMS, then AIM sends the text as SMS to the number you want

i hate the way everyone bitches about the long term cost of the iphone...you get what you pay for...do you have the cheapest car you could find that gets you from point a to b? probably not.

[quote name='Malik112099']I just caved and bought iRealQuickSMS. It is the coolest fucking thing I have on my phone. Just couldnt live without it after upgrading to 3.0. Quick text/send should be a built in feature of the phone to begin with..i HATE having to quit out of something just to reply to a text. Oh well...about $7 well spent (4.99 EUR).[/QUOTE]

Does this mean you can just reply while playing a game of Peggle?

If so, where do you find it? I can't find it on the App Store :cry:.

[quote name='the_punisher']Does this mean you can just reply while playing a game of Peggle?

If so, where do you find it? I can't find it on the App Store :cry:.[/QUOTE]

yes....you can text and reply over top of any application and the lockscreen without you having to close out the application..it is only for jailbroken phones...

http://www.irealsms.com/

if irealquicksms is only for jailbroken phones are there any good sms apps for unjailbroken phones?

Also, Ive modded a psp before which was easy. Is it easy and safe to jailbreak a 3GS? Ive heard several complaints how phones lost all wifi and 3g network capabilities. Who here can help cause I will jailbreak if it wont screw up my week old 3GS

[quote name='Freeisgood']if irealquicksms is only for jailbroken phones are there any good sms apps for unjailbroken phones?

Also, Ive modded a psp before which was easy. Is it easy and safe to jailbreak a 3GS? Ive heard several complaints how phones lost all wifi and 3g network capabilities. Who here can help cause I will jailbreak if it wont screw up my week old 3GS[/QUOTE]

there are no sms apps with this capability on the appstore because apple will not allow it

the iphone doesnt even know it is jailbroken....i know no one that has had wifi/3g problems on a jailbroken phone...the whole process takes a few minutes and is fully automated with redsn0w and **IF** something happens you can always restore via iTunes....my ipod touch 1g, 3g iphone, wife's 3g are jailbroken along with countless others ive done without ever having a problem

I'm liking the game Unblock Me (free version). When I was young (middle school) we had a PC game that was a bunch of puzzles and brain teasers and my favorite one was a traffic jam game exactly like this, trying to get a red car out of a block of busses/cars etc... I just wish Unblock Me had larger puzzles... with how small the puzzle area is, they can't get very hard.

[quote name='Malik112099']i hate the way everyone bitches about the long term cost of the iphone...you get what you pay for...do you have the cheapest car you could find that gets you from point a to b? probably not.[/QUOTE]
"you get what you pay for"? That's opinion.

I'd buy a $20k Civic over a $50k BMW. I have trouble justifying over 2x the price just for "nicer", especially when there are a couple important aspects that are actually worse than the more affordable option. But there are many people who are happy with their $50k BMWs, and that's fine, that's great, but they're not for me.

I updated my unlocked original iPhone to 3.0.1 just now, and it gave me the activation screen (yet none of the updates from 2.0 up to 3.0 did). Now it's giving me an error when I try to restore using my custom 3.0 software. :( Thankfully, the Australian 3GS I bought off of eBay should arrive any day now.

[quote name='lmz00']I updated my unlocked original iPhone to 3.0.1 just now, and it gave me the activation screen (yet none of the updates from 2.0 up to 3.0 did). Now it's giving me an error when I try to restore using my custom 3.0 software. :( Thankfully, the Australian 3GS I bought off of eBay should arrive any day now.[/QUOTE]

if you have an unlocked/jailbroken iphone you cant just upgrade the firmware..you have to restore the phone to the new firmware

[quote name='Malik112099']if you have an unlocked/jailbroken iphone you cant just upgrade the firmware..you have to restore the phone to the new firmware[/QUOTE]
Ever since I installed 2.0 and unlocked it, I've been able to just download them (2.1, 2.2, 3.0 and all of the minor ones in between) from iTunes and install them without any problems up until this update.

[quote name='lmz00']Ever since I installed 2.0 and unlocked it, I've been able to just download them (2.1, 2.2, 3.0 and all of the minor ones in between) from iTunes and install them without any problems up until this update.[/QUOTE]

oh..it works if you upgrade, but not properly....also, i dont see anything about 3.0.1 being jailbroken....dont use any jb software unless it supports your version of phone AND firmware otherwise you can really mess stuff up

also I think you are confusing "unlocking" and "jailbreaking"

jailbreaking is a way to bypass the app store and run unofficial code on the phone

unlocking is allowing the phone to function with a cellular company other than ATT

Yeah, I know the difference. I unlocked it, but other than that, I kept it "stock" (no Cydia or any of that stuff). The phone stays unlocked when you update, but it just isn't activated. I had to use redsn0w to get past that.

And it was like $950 shipped, $875 after the 8% cashback for a 32GB.

(Side note: I've also got a few people on craigslist offering to pay $300 for my current iPhone, but I'm going to see if anyone offers more between now and when it comes in next week. That should put it at about the same cost as if I had bought one from here and paid the ETF+other fees, except without the hassle of having to wait for new hacks to come out every time Apple releases an update.) :)

I downloaded/installed 3.0.1 the other day, now I just plugged my phone back in and its saying new update available 3.0.1? How is that possible?

Also if I leave my phone plugged into my pc for too long it will just reset the phone (black screen apple logo coming on).

bread's done
Back