iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='wakarukaya']http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chuchu-rocket/id392785292?mt=8

Chu chu Rocket! is free today! It's a neat little puzzle game... very addicting. EDIT: Hmm, try going to the app store on your device to see if it's free there. I was able to get it for free anyhow.

If that didn't convince you, here's the japanese commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga62uiXbEjI[/QUOTE]

Wow someone made a whole new thread for this, I guess I should give it a chance I got the HD version for $.99 a month or so ago but it went straight to backlog.

[quote name='willc23']Star Walk has dropped to .99. This is the augmented realit app that allows you to find constellations bpointing the camera to the sky.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks for posting that! I had my eye on it. Has anyone tried it? I was wondering how well it worked.

RoboSockets: Link Me Up has dropped to FREE for a limited time.
"Build connections between broken robots to create chains of five or more. Each cleared chain fills up the energy bar to your left. Energy is needed to revive the RoboCivilization and restore the RoboPlanet, which lies in ruins left without electricity by a short circuit.
RoboSockets: Link Me Up is a juicy mix of tetris, pipes and match 3 game mechanics resulting in the truly unique gameplay. It’s as simple as genius and brings a breath of fresh air to the tried bejeweled-type games. The game introduces a whole RoboCivilization, its hierarchy, history and legends with each level’s setting fitting in the storyline. Apart from introducing brand new gameplay, RoboSockets: Link Me Up boasts of classic for a quality title virtues: cheerful UI, elaborate story, intense graphics and a vast replayability potential."

I don't see why Chu Chu Rocket needs it's own thread. I post this comment here as I don't want to extend that thread. The last thing we need is CAG cluttered up with individual iOS app deals. Plus, I don't know if it's a nostalgia thing or what, but I have it and I don't get what the fuss is all about. Seems like a pretty unremarkable puzzle game, but I never played it on the Dreamcast. Never had a Dreamcast. I played it for a bit on iOs, but lost interest in it.

Also, looks like there's a bunch of EA games on sale. Sadly not including Scrabble for iPad. :( At least not yet. Also free Lite versions of Need for Speed Hot Pursuit are up, iPhone and iPad.

http://appshopper.com/games/monopoly-here-now-the-world-edition
http://appshopper.com/games/risk-the-official-game
http://appshopper.com/games/monopoly-for-ipad
http://appshopper.com/games/dead-space

Hmm, wondering what the difference is in Star Walk for iPhone vs. iPad. Only the phone version is on sale.

[quote name='crunchewy']I don't see why Chu Chu Rocket needs it's own thread. I post this comment here as I don't want to extend that thread. The last thing we need is CAG cluttered up with individual iOS app deals. Plus, I don't know if it's a nostalgia thing or what, but I have it and I don't get what the fuss is all about. Seems like a pretty unremarkable puzzle game, but I never played it on the Dreamcast. Never had a Dreamcast. I played it for a bit on iOs, but lost interest in it.[/quote]

Same here. I never had a Dreamcast, but I tried it on iPad and wasn't very impressed. It was ok, but I don't see all the hype.

[quote name='keithp']Hmm, wondering what the difference is in Star Walk for iPhone vs. iPad. Only the phone version is on sale.[/QUOTE]
The difference between a chess board and a twister pad.

Looks like Espgaluda II got the 1,000 votes it needed (big surprise) for OpenFeint's Fire Sale. Says the price is being adjusted to $4.99 "soon." I can't believe I'm excited about handing over five bucks for an iOS game. Then again, it's CAVE and their shmups are eye-blisteringly fantastic.

[quote name='keithp']Same here. I never had a Dreamcast, but I tried it on iPad and wasn't very impressed. It was ok, but I don't see all the hype.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, dont blame yourself I tried to get into ChuChu when it first came out on DC but even then I never got into it. I was more into PowerStone than that game.

Espgaluda II is totally worth $4.99. Buy it if you like bullethell shmups. Ditto for their other apps. All great. I'm really looking forward to Deathsmiles for iOS... but I wish they'd update their games to be universal for the iPad, at least the iPad 2 if it needs that power to do it - I don't know.

Another EA game has dropped (Battlefield Bad Company 2 down to $2.99) and they all say up to 67% their games, so maybe everything will get discounted as the day goes on. If Scrabble for iPad drops I'm going to get that.

http://appshopper.com/games/battlefield-bad-company-2

It looks like the EA sale is just on iPhone/iPod touch games. Monopoly games being the exception, in an effort to break a monopoly playing record or some such nonsense. So I guess I won't be seeing Scrabble for iPad discounted. Bummer. Oh well, I'll stick with the scaled up iPhone version for now.

I know Crunc already has it, but for those of you who may be unaware, Reiner Knizia has a new freemium puzzler called ClusterMaster that's now available.
"Cluster Master is a new puzzle game by legendary game designer Reiner Knizia.
Fit the hexagons to build clusters of the same color. Larger clusters will give you more points. Play against the clock, or with plenty of time to think it through. Compare your scores with friends through Game Center leaderboards and achievements.
There are 4 game modes in total. One is available in the free version, and 3 more can be unlocked through an in-app purchase. Special bonus-gems that work in all modes can also be bought through in-app purchases, or EARNED BY PLAYING in-game."

If puzzlers aren't your thing, perhaps you'd enjoy splattering zombies with the FPS Undead: in the last refuge, currently available for FREE.
"The coming of the Apocalypse had been announced for centuries, so we were not to know that it was so close. The dead have risen from the ground and destroyed everything in their path.
You have managed to survive until now, but you are alone and cut off… How long will you be able to survive?"

Espgaluda is totally worth it. Dodonpachi is great, but EG2 has a really cool bullet-time scoring system mechanic and is just good quality outside of Dodonpachi.

[quote name='fiddycan']Go Go Mongo is listed as FREE today. Usually it's $0.99

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/go-go-mongo/id426619300?mt=8[/QUOTE]
I first read that as Go Go Manga. It was not what I expected. ;P

I beat Fighter TEDD. Again, some of the most unintentionally hilarious translated English I've seen. Plus, they have like 5 character models, so you'll get helpful NPCs who look just like the enemies. Oh, "Mr. Jake." I'll miss you most of all!

Drag Tag Smash is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Drag Tag Smash successfully fuses action, music and puzzle elements together to create a simple, fun and pick-up and play game. The game’s goal is to drag the sphere to tag the invaders to smash them to smithereens.
Players must figure out how to use the sphere to break gaps in the enemy lines, using the game’s simple physics, to then ultimately score trillions as the game prides itself on its unique 3-tiered scoring system. This measures combinations of enemies tagged, totals of enemies destroyed and player ingenuity in dodging bullets. Drag Tag Smash also features a very dynamic electro soundtrack, which builds up with intensity, emotion and variety the more the player tags enemies to destroy them."

Rotate Rush
is also currently available for FREE.
"Can you handle the pressure? This fun and ADDICTING game will have you glued to your device for hours. A little game of rotating shapes to fit through an oncoming object seems simple but as the game speeds up, and with tons of timer-based bonuses on the line, it might make you crazy!
Rotate Rush is a fun game for people of all ages. It takes a simple "puzzle piece" concept and adds several twists to make it an exciting, fast-paced game that anyone can enjoy, anytime, anywhere. Try it today and see for yourself."

Reiner Knizia's Labyrinth
has dropped back down to .99.
"Labyrinth is the latest addictive puzzle from the legendary game designer, Dr. Reiner Knizia. You take the role of a hero venturing deep into the earth in search of unknown treasures. Along the way you must face both danger and opportunity.
Can you find the way through the labyrinth to the hidden riches deep inside the mountain? Will you be able to defeat the dragons guarding the treasure?
The game mechanics are very simple, but incredibly addictive. You build a labyrinth by dragging tiles into a 4x4 grid and rotating them into place."

Anyone that plays an instrument might be intersted in the Songsterr app, Tabs with Rhythm, It's down from $9.99 to $.99 for one day only and their website says the ipad version is coming as free update to the iphone version.

"Songsterr is a guitar tab player with instant access to realistic playback of 70,000 songs (300,000 guitar, bass and drum tabs). You can search tabs by keyword or browse by tags and popularity."

http://appshopper.com/music/tabster

iPad gamers can once again download Jules Verne's Return to Mysterious Island for FREE.
"Plunge into the heart of one of the greatest adventures by Jules Verne!
While participating in the famous solo round-the-world sailing expedition - the Jules Verne Trophy - the navigator, Mina, strands on a island without any way to contact the emergency services. Therefore the courageous young woman will only rely on her senses and her ability to recuperate, before trying to escape the island. However, a mysterious shadow hovers over this land, cut off from the world, which does not appear so uninhabited as it seemed at first sight...
Freely adapted from the "Mysterious Island" by Jules Verne, "Return to Mysterious Island" is the sequel to the novel. In the role of Mina, explore the mythical locations of the original work (Granite House, Volcano, Nautilus, etc.) and solve many puzzles hidden in the mysterious island."

Blow stuff up on your iPhone with Fragger Lost City, one of the new FAAD featured games.
"The world of Fragger is at risk, and he needs your help to explode all enemies! Unleash your shooting abilities to kill all the enemies and unlock 3 different perks!
Fragger Lost City, features 30 challenging levels and guarantees you many long hours of exploding fun!
Once you become and grenade launcher expert, compare your score online with the millions of Miniclip users that play Fragger. "

[quote name='hammysagar']Anyone that plays an instrument might be intersted in the Songsterr app, Tabs with Rhythm, It's down from $9.99 to $.99 for one day only and their website says the ipad version is coming as free update to the iphone version.
"Songsterr is a guitar tab player with instant access to realistic playback of 70,000 songs (300,000 guitar, bass and drum tabs). You can search tabs by keyword or browse by tags and popularity."
http://appshopper.com/music/tabster[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up on this! I'd never heard of Songsterr (or Tabster, as it used to be called) but I went ahead and decided to take a chance for .99. Very slick little app! It has a library of TABs for songs you may actually want to learn to play. And it even has audio for the notation in case you're not exactly sure how the song should sound. The TABs look pretty accurate, too. The couple of AC/DC ones I looked at briefly are spot on.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kush']I picked up that LiveSketch HD app when it was, I believe, free a while back, but I only started messing with it today. Has anyone else tried it? If yes, do you find it a bit freaky like me? I don't know... it just seems weird, but here is a sketch I did after messing with the app for a few minutes.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='monkeyf1']Yeah I downloaded it when it was free as well. It's one of my favorite apps. I think the auto shading creates sort of a creepy/freaky effect.[/QUOTE]

FYI - Live Sketch HD is free for iPhone right now

Need some advice on Espaluga II. This would be my first bullet hell game. I tried the demo and liked it, but the demo level ends pretty quickly. Is that how it is in the full version, just with more levels? Is there a survival mode?

Also tried the DoDonPachi demo but liked EG2 better. I also found it easier to tell what was happening onscreen in EG2 than in DDP.

Area 5 is producing content for a new Ipad exclusive magazine called "Atomix". The first issue is out for free and it looks pretty slick
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/08/area-5-producing-monthly-atomix-magazine-for-ipad/

Matt on Rebel FM was talking about them making content for it and said that they will be doing articles as well as videos for it. Hopefully this is successful because as I said it looks pretty damn frog ass tight.

Edit - Apparently its not free, they do some lame ass unlock thing. You can download an atomic browser which is listed as the magazine but really just keeps your issues of the mag together. The issues themselves unlock for $1 in app purchase. I went ahead and bit on the first issue and will let you guys know how it is.

[quote name='lilman']Need some advice on Espaluga II. This would be my first bullet hell game. I tried the demo and liked it, but the demo level ends pretty quickly. Is that how it is in the full version, just with more levels? Is there a survival mode?

Also tried the DoDonPachi demo but liked EG2 better. I also found it easier to tell what was happening onscreen in EG2 than in DDP.[/QUOTE]

Your FIRST? Wow.

It's an arcade game. There are six total levels and the game ramps up difficulty considerably through those later levels. No survival or anything else. Just replaying those six levels to die less or get a better score.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Your FIRST? Wow.

It's an arcade game. There are six total levels and the game ramps up difficulty considerably through those later levels. No survival or anything else. Just replaying those six levels to die less or get a better score.[/QUOTE]
Yes it would be my first, I was never into vertical shooters. Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping for survival mode, I never died in the demo level. I'll be passing then.

It's a quality game, but, yeah, for the price, comparing the amount of content to the amount of content from other Iphone games, it's hard to argue for it.

MAME emulation is a better way to get into the genre, anyway, or Touhou games. Granted, neither is technically legal, but NOBODY on the internet pays for Touhou games, and it isn't like you're going to get a chance to buy games like Outfoxies or Dodonpachi 1... or 2... whatever.

Score 50,000 on Pixfall to supposedly win a PS3, iPod Touch, or XBox 360.
"PIXFALL: Try to score 50.000! is a simple, accelerometer controlled arcade game for iPhone and iPod Touch.
The goal is obvious: score the fabled 50.000 points, which we think is pretty impossible. We chllenge the world!
PIXFALL: Try to score 50.000! is simplistic in its form - graphics are just red, white and black, you control pixel-shaped object falling from above.
Avoid white spaces and collect red pixels to go as far and score as high as possible.
With one button publish your score to the Game Center."

[quote name='mr_bungle']RageHD worth 1.99 for iPad? I absolutely hate FPS' on the iPhone but so far games are so much better on thus thing.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to say no personally, at the time it was released it had some of the best graphics on the iPad but it has since been eclipsed by games that have been upgraded for the iPad 2 (Deadspace, infinity blade, etc).

I found the game to be somewhat frustrating because your aim is controlled with the gyroscope and it's an on rails shooter that moves at it's own pace so for me I was struggling to shoot things as the character moves by. For $1.99 you could do worse but the game is on the short side and I just found it to be somewhat mediocre in retrospect ... though it's far better than Metal Gear Solid, which was terrible on the iPad.

[quote name='PikaPichu']Death Rally dropped down to 2.99 for those who may be on the fence. Any chance we'll ever see it for .99 or possibly free?[/QUOTE]

Of course it did. I bought it last night for $4.99, lol. It runs SO smoothly on my iPad 2. If you ever wanted to see how crappily Reckless Racing runs, just check out Death Rally by comparison.

[quote name='lilman']Yes it would be my first, I was never into vertical shooters. Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping for survival mode, I never died in the demo level. I'll be passing then.[/QUOTE]

The game gets tough, I can assure you, and the thing with these games is, first to one-credit it, which is not easy at all, and second, after you can do that, going for high scores. Simply completing the game with continues is easy, but that's not the way to a high score. You have to 1 credit it and then actually doing well on the leaderboards involves learning the scoring system and how to take full advantage of it. IMHO the value is there.

[quote name='jaredstorm']Any new word on World of Goo iPhone? As far as release date goes[/QUOTE]According to their blog, it was submitted on 4/2 so it should be live in the next couple of days unless they're looking to set a specific release date.

http://2dboy.com/2011/04/03/goophone-comin/

[quote name='crunchewy']The game gets tough, I can assure you, and the thing with these games is, first to one-credit it, which is not easy at all, and second, after you can do that, going for high scores. Simply completing the game with continues is easy, but that's not the way to a high score. You have to 1 credit it and then actually doing well on the leaderboards involves learning the scoring system and how to take full advantage of it. IMHO the value is there.[/QUOTE]
I'm not much of a leaderboard gamer, but I can see the value for those who are. I really like the EG2 demo, you can easily tell a lot of love went into the game. The DDP demo showed me how hard this type of game can be (it kicked my ass, I think the added colors of stuff coming at me throws me off). I will probably pick this up before the sale ends. Thanks for the feedback.

-Update-
I did pick up EG2. It's fun to see how long I can last without using guard, so far once I hit stage 3 that guard comes up :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so I give the Atomix app a big thumbs up! The layout is a bit meh and taking a bit to get used to, but the actual content is great. They were right that this really is a different way to view content, as you surf the articles there are random videos, things to touch and sound effects included that are really nice touch. Its also really great for anyone that was a fan of the 1up show because it has some of the same guys and the content is presented in a very similar way. The first issue also has a 3 part video dealing with the Iphone and Ipad and how they are changing the way we play games.

Rage isn't worth it, in my opinion. It's just a rehash of Doom Resurrection with slightly nicer graphics, but in a hideous, ugly art style, and with only three short levels. The game mechanics never seem to gel like other, better Iphone "light gun" rail shooters... like Doom Resurrection, for instance.

The motocross racer Moto Heyalda is FREE until Monday, April 11th.
"This is the full version of Moto Heyalda with all features enabled!!!
✓ Custom Track Builder ✓ Wi-Fi or BlueTooth 2-Player ✓ Race Against Computer ✓ Race Against Ghost ✓ Global Leader Boards
Featured by Apple in "New and Noteworthy" and "What's Hot""

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back