iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

What iOS version are you guys running that are having crash problems with Gangstar? I am running 4.2.1 and am not having problems with it, but I read people running the latest version, what is it 4.3 something or other, are having crash problems. It could just be first mission luck with me and when I go further tonight it will crash, so I am just curious to find out what version you guys are running it on so I know if I should even bother playing more or just wait.

[quote name='mightymek']What iOS version are you guys running that are having crash problems with Gangstar? I am running 4.2.1 and am not having problems with it, but I read people running the latest version, what is it 4.3 something or other, are having crash problems. It could just be first mission luck with me and when I go further tonight it will crash, so I am just curious to find out what version you guys are running it on so I know if I should even bother playing more or just wait.[/QUOTE]

I think the problem is with 4.3 and 4.3.1

[quote name='crunchewy']I bought the iPad version of Gangstar: Miami Vindication and will hope that an update to fix it is out by the time I get my iPad. Also downloaded Tiki Totems 2 for free, even though I never played much of Tiki Totems 1. Hmm.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mightymek']What iOS version are you guys running that are having crash problems with Gangstar? I am running 4.2.1 and am not having problems with it, but I read people running the latest version, what is it 4.3 something or other, are having crash problems. It could just be first mission luck with me and when I go further tonight it will crash, so I am just curious to find out what version you guys are running it on so I know if I should even bother playing more or just wait.[/QUOTE]

https://twitter.com/gameloft/status/55647984116965376

I agree with pROvIs, it seems that it's 4.3+ (or make it easier, whichever version was released after the launch of the game, that was September 2010).

Picked up Gangstar Miami for iPad.

Grabbed Plunderland when it was on sale for $.99 and it was well worth it.

Didn't realize until the other day that you can zoom out in Angry Birds to line up your shots. Before then I was always guess aiming the birds and couldn't understand the fascination with the game :p

Thanks for deal sharing!

Ok, this actually sounds really awesome. Atari has released (currently in NZ, in the US later tonight) Atari's Greatest Hits with 100 games, a mix of arcade classics and Atari 2600 games. Asteroids, Centipede/Millipede, Crystal Castles, Tempest, Major Havoc, etc, etc, mostly arcade releases, but also some 2600 titles. All kinds of stuff in there. It's a free download with Pong for free, then game packs as in-app purchase for 99 cents each (4 games per pack):

http://toucharcade.com/2011/04/06/atari-brings-100-retro-titles-to-ios-in-ataris-greatest-hits/

I am definitely down for some of these! I hope they play well. Some even have bluetooth multiplayer including... wait for it... Warlords arcade version! Yes! I hope that plays well.

EDIT: and it's universal! I can't believe Atari has come back in such a big fashion. I guess this explains the release of their "enhanced" games, without the classics in toe.

[quote name='ZForce915']Hey guys, what do you use for a screen protector on your iphone/ipod touch 4g?[/QUOTE]

nothing, it doesn't need one.

If you are going to use one, my favorite is Invisible Shield. They are pricey but you can get them put on professionally and they are high quality. Half the problems people have with screen protectors are from them being installed improperly. You will not do as good of a job as someone who does it hundreds of times a day. Well worth the extra cash to me.

Any impressions of Perfect Cell? I think I"m going to give the Lite version a d/l during lunch to see what's what. So hard to resist that .99 sale tag . . .

[quote name='Dimsdale']Any impressions of Perfect Cell? I think I"m going to give the Lite version a d/l during lunch to see what's what. So hard to resist that .99 sale tag . . .[/QUOTE]

I played the light version for about 2 minutes and decided it was worth the .99 and bought it. It seems a bit like a metroid-vania game but you are a floating cell like character and it has more puzzle aspects rather than action. Any decent game that is made for a touch interface from the ground up to me is worth the money just to encourage it over a virtual thumbstick.

[quote name='pROvIs']If you are going to use one, my favorite is Invisible Shield. They are pricey but you can get them put on professionally and they are high quality. Half the problems people have with screen protectors are from them being installed improperly. You will not do as good of a job as someone who does it hundreds of times a day. Well worth the extra cash to me.[/QUOTE]

Noob question, but where do you find someone to put on your screen protector? I suck at it! :roll:

[quote name='pROvIs']I played the light version for about 2 minutes and decided it was worth the .99 and bought it. It seems a bit like a metroid-vania game but you are a floating cell like character and it has more puzzle aspects rather than action. Any decent game that is made for a touch interface from the ground up to me is worth the money just to encourage it over a virtual thumbstick.[/QUOTE]

Pretty close to what I thought. Really though I have taken the attitude that any game with decent reviews that goes on sale for $1 I will give a shot. People always talk about how developers can earn more if they have these uber cheapo sales then if they constantly keep their prices high. Figure its time as one of those people to put my money where my mouth is. Even though I have gotten burned a few times(I HATE HATE HATE Forget me Not)I figure others love those games enough that its worth a buck or two to support an indy dev and the cheap game scene.

[quote name='tecwrtr']Noob question, but where do you find someone to put on your screen protector? I suck at it! :roll:[/QUOTE]

Best buy will do it for a fee but I recommend going to an invisible shield booth/store. Some are better than others. Unfortunately, its a bit hard to search for them as Zagg doesnt have a "find a store" link on their page. I know that there are about 4-5 in my immediate metro area usually in malls (Minneapolis Area).

Edit: I found the link to find a store on Zagg. It's a bit hidden, link is below
http://www.zagg.com/sellzagg/retail_locations/index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Downloading Perfect Cell Lite to check it out.

Also, Camera FX, a poor man's and a lot less intuitive Photo Booth, is on sale for free. I find the UI confusing and inconvenient, but it does work. You have to tap that little icon at the bottom left to pop up a menu, which has one icon that let's you switch to the front camera (why isn't thst the default?) You can't slide your finger around to change the effect, but the is a popup menu to adjust it.

http://appshopper.com/photography/camera-fx

EDIT: after trying Perfect Cell, also for only a few minutes, I bought it. Definitely a cool game, though I think I might wait for my iPad 2 before I actually play it - I can see it playing better on there. My finger gets in the way a bit on my iPhone.

Standard iOS functionality should allow you to email the doc and read it on your device. Alternatively, you can upload your docs to dropbox and then dl them to your device.

[quote name='mcdaking84']does anyone know of an app that will allow me to upload documents from word or onenote and view them on my iphone?[/QUOTE]
Any of the office apps should let you do this to.

QuickOffice
Office2go
Pages
Office2
etc.

you can also use google docs through safari

+1 for Perfect Cell. I finished the first level on the Lite version and decided it was definitely worth a buck to upgrade. Thanks for the feedback, too.

I've been less than impressed with the last two iOS updates. I find that I regularly get error messages when downlOadin updates, get permanent hanging on app installs and the App Store has been really choppy.

[quote name='Darknuke']another +1 for perfect cell. Great game. Very entertaining for .99 cents.[/QUOTE]
I'm loving it as well. Excellent game and controls very well on the touch screen.

[quote name='crunchewy']Ok, this actually sounds really awesome. Atari has released (currently in NZ, in the US later tonight) Atari's Greatest Hits with 100 games, a mix of arcade classics and Atari 2600 games. Asteroids, Centipede/Millipede, Crystal Castles, Tempest, Major Havoc, etc, etc, mostly arcade releases, but also some 2600 titles. All kinds of stuff in there. It's a free download with Pong for free, then game packs as in-app purchase for 99 cents each (4 games per pack):

http://toucharcade.com/2011/04/06/atari-brings-100-retro-titles-to-ios-in-ataris-greatest-hits/

I am definitely down for some of these! I hope they play well. Some even have bluetooth multiplayer including... wait for it... Warlords arcade version! Yes! I hope that plays well.

EDIT: and it's universal! I can't believe Atari has come back in such a big fashion. I guess this explains the release of their "enhanced" games, without the classics in toe.[/QUOTE]

Assuming that these control well, I might be in for the whole thing. Is there any word yet whether you download the whole thing and just pay to unlock or if the file size gets bigger as you pay for more games? I don't want this to wind up being some behemoth.

[quote name='iowaholdem']I've been less than impressed with the last two iOS updates. I find that I regularly get error messages when downlOadin updates, get permanent hanging on app installs and the App Store has been really choppy.[/QUOTE]

Did you do a bad jailbreak in the past? Firmware umbrella corrupted a lot of phones at some point and you had to put the phone in DFU to get a clean install. I've found the updates steadily get better and better. 4.3.1 finally fixed that damn 3G network switch bug.

[quote name='kingtopher']Assuming that these control well, I might be in for the whole thing. Is there any word yet whether you download the whole thing and just pay to unlock or if the file size gets bigger as you pay for more games? I don't want this to wind up being some behemoth.[/QUOTE]

for $15 I'd MUCH rather buy Final Fantasy 3. I don't like that they split up each of the packs with 1 of the famous Atari games and a few crappy ones. You are essentially paying $1 each for breakout, asteroids, centipede, warlords, etc... NOT worth it at all imo.

[quote name='kingtopher']Assuming that these control well, I might be in for the whole thing. Is there any word yet whether you download the whole thing and just pay to unlock or if the file size gets bigger as you pay for more games? I don't want this to wind up being some behemoth.[/QUOTE]

According to this article you can get all 100 games for 14.99. Also as far as the controls go check out the iCade coming out in June.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...-ios-out-now-icade-cabinet-coming-in-june.ars

[quote name='pROvIs']Best buy will do it for a fee but I recommend going to an invisible shield booth/store. Some are better than others. Unfortunately, its a bit hard to search for them as Zagg doesnt have a "find a store" link on their page. I know that there are about 4-5 in my immediate metro area usually in malls (Minneapolis Area).

Edit: I found the link to find a store on Zagg. It's a bit hidden, link is below
http://www.zagg.com/sellzagg/retail_locations/index.php[/QUOTE]

You rock! Thanks so much! :D

The first Bounce on was pretty good but not universal like part 2. Thanks downloading now.

Edit: game is great its like a cross between Mario and Sonic

I thought Perfect Cell was like a card game or something from the name of it, but I just tried out the lite version, and it is awesome. Bought.

Skipping Gangstar, just because I know it's going to disappoint me. I'm too much of a fan of the GTA games, and the knock-offs just never do much for me. They never have the same "atmosphere."

[quote name='DtotheP']Did you do a bad jailbreak in the past? Firmware umbrella corrupted a lot of phones at some point and you had to put the phone in DFU to get a clean install. I've found the updates steadily get better and better. 4.3.1 finally fixed that damn 3G network switch bug.[/QUOTE]Nope, pretty positive that this iPt3 has never been JB.

Awesome - just bought the 99 game pack for Atari's greatest hits.

Playing Tempest now. Awesome. The game looks great, but far more importantly, they have an innovative control scheme which makes this one of the most playable home conversions I've ever played (I'm using iPad).

The fire button and superzapper button are on the right. On the left is a 3.5" tall thin rectangle which is treated as a vertical scroll wheel. It supports both precise movements, and also a slight flick will send your zapper spinning around the screen, just like spinning the paddle in the arcade machine.

Yes, very happy right now :)

Next game: Millipede. Only played for 15 seconds (must get to Asteroids...), but looks fine, and there's a dual control scheme - you can either point where you want to go in the playfield, or use the virtual trackball at the bottom.

Asteroids: Interesting control scheme. The left virtual stick moves your ship like a dual-stick shooter (a-la Geometry wars where you point where you want to go). No more fumbling with artificially imposed thrust-always-means-forwards. The game feels much smoother this way.

In addition to Bounce On 2, FAAD is also featuring another game by Team Phobic right now: Undead Ocean Dojo.
"Team Phobic is delighted to bring you this FREE prequel, or "freequel", to Undead Ocean. Find out how the ninja was trained by an ancient master and began her quest to rid the land of zombies.
Players will make their way through highly detailed levels and choose between three difficulties allowing a fun adventure for new and experienced players alike. The controls in Undead Ocean Dojo are simple, tilt left and right to move, tap on the left side to jump and the right side to attack. The game also supports optional on screen buttons for those who don't like tilt controls."

Squareball
is the new OpenFeint FGOTD.
"The first truly iPhone action arcade game!
Squareball is the game that should be shipped with the iPhone. The first true action arcade game with perfect controls only possible on the iDevices.
Collect all the green blocks to clear a stage. Collect the other blocks for hi-score!"

Fans of Dr. Suess, or those who just like to stack things, may want to check out Up With a Fish! while it's available for FREE.
"Help the Cat in the Hat stack falling objects atop his tower of fish bowls!
Tilt your device to catch falling objects. Move the Fish up your stack by catching more fish bowls. How high can you score before you miss 3 fish bowls?
Features:
- Catch falling objects – Tilt left/right to catch umbrellas, chairs, books, rakes and other objects on your tower. But avoid the falling THINGS - they smash your tower!
- Catch fishbowls – Each fishbowl you catch increases your Score Multiplier. Miss 3 fishbowls and your game ends.
- Get a high score – Top scores are automatically saved."

[quote name='Dimsdale']In addition to Bounce On 2, FAAD is also featuring another game by Team Phobic right now: Undead Ocean Dojo.
"Team Phobic is delighted to bring you this FREE prequel, or "freequel", to Undead Ocean. Find out how the ninja was trained by an ancient master and began her quest to rid the land of zombies.
Players will make their way through highly detailed levels and choose between three difficulties allowing a fun adventure for new and experienced players alike. The controls in Undead Ocean Dojo are simple, tilt left and right to move, tap on the left side to jump and the right side to attack. The game also supports optional on screen buttons for those who don't like tilt controls."

Squareball
is the new OpenFeint FGOTD.
"The first truly iPhone action arcade game!
Squareball is the game that should be shipped with the iPhone. The first true action arcade game with perfect controls only possible on the iDevices.
Collect all the green blocks to clear a stage. Collect the other blocks for hi-score!"

Fans of Dr. Suess, or those who just like to stack things, may want to check out Up With a Fish! while it's available for FREE.
"Help the Cat in the Hat stack falling objects atop his tower of fish bowls!
Tilt your device to catch falling objects. Move the Fish up your stack by catching more fish bowls. How high can you score before you miss 3 fish bowls?
Features:
- Catch falling objects – Tilt left/right to catch umbrellas, chairs, books, rakes and other objects on your tower. But avoid the falling THINGS - they smash your tower!
- Catch fishbowls – Each fishbowl you catch increases your Score Multiplier. Miss 3 fishbowls and your game ends.
- Get a high score – Top scores are automatically saved."[/QUOTE]

Thanks, your the man :lol:

Atari must definitely be a generational/nostalgia thing ... because there's no way I'm spending money on that. Sorry ... not trying to offend anyone ... but I guess now I understand when kids look at Mario Bros. or Zelda and say .. ew, that's boring. Except, ya know, those games are still cool ;) :)

And man ... when I read warlords, I was totally thinking of an old Mac game that I used to play with little knight dudes that would fight each other for castles ... now that was badass

Pac'n Jump is Doodle Jump.

It seems to have 4 'stages' ("Pac-Man", "Dig Dug", "Rally-X", and "Galaga"). You start on stage 1 and have to earn enough 'dots' to progress to the next stage.

I haven't made it to stage 2 yet, but the screenshots hint it's basically the same game with different themes.

[quote name='etcrane']Atari must definitely be a generational/nostalgia thing ... because there's no way I'm spending money on that. Sorry ... not trying to offend anyone ... but I guess now I understand when kids look at Mario Bros. or Zelda and say .. ew, that's boring. Except, ya know, those games are still cool ;) :)

And man ... when I read warlords, I was totally thinking of an old Mac game that I used to play with little knight dudes that would fight each other for castles ... now that was badass[/QUOTE]

When Atari went up for sale recently Nolan Bushnell the original founder of the company tried to buy Atari back. While he lost his bid the person who bought Atari thought he would be a good person to have in the company so they rehired Bushnell as an "executive advisor" or some such thing. He has commented that he thought many games in the past were great because they were simple and because of atari's "non violence stance" where it was ok to blow stuff up but you never actively see a person get hurt. Part of this strategy is remastering and re releasing a lot of old content, thus the recent Yars Revenge remake.

Fruits Island: Begins is FREE for "one day only."
"Fruits Island is attacked by a horde of bugs.
With no food, the bugs leave their territory and invade the fruits island.
Fruits gather to stamp out the bugs on the island.
70 days of war has happened among fruits and bugs.
The player’s goal is to clear the 70 stages.
Using water and soil, the player can produce units, upgrade the units, use the totem and skill by using the seeds that are rewarded when a player clears the stage.
This is a defense strategy game using the amount of units and leading them to victory on the battlefield effectively."

I'm definitely considering the full game pack for Atari's Greatest Hits. I was very pleased to see that Pong supports two players on one device, which probably implies that Warlords supports 4 players on one device. That's a win right there if so. And there's a lot of great games in that pack. Yeah, I played the 2600 when I was a kid and I'm looking forward to those, but the arcade games are the big ticket items for me. FYI, the download is small, so presumably the DLC packs actually download the games. Anyone know the size of it after downloading the full set?

Also, I'd much rather pay $15 for 99 Atari games then $15 for one Final Fantasy game that will bore me to tears. It's just a matter of what you like.

EDIT: I decided to buy it. There are actually a lot more 2600 games then arcade games, but still there's more then 15 arcade games and some of the 2600 games I'm interested in too. Still seems like a bargain to me, but yeah, if you don't love games like Tempest, Warlords, Centipede, Millipede, original Asteroids, etc, then it's probably not for you. FYI, the download for the full 99 game DLC is 66.4 MB. It has a progress bar which says that total.

EDIT2: at least on the iPhone, Warlords does *not* support more then one player on one device. :( Maybe on the iPad it does? Also, the controls take some getting use to. I think they will work well once I get use to it, but it's a little weird moving a slider up and down to move the paddle which goes around a corner. I did start getting better at it, though, so I think I'll get it with a little practice. Similarly Tempest takes some getting use to. It's that on the real game you've got a spinner that feels natural since you rotate it just like your player moves, but here you're sliding a dial up and down. It does have momentum, though, which feels good. Only other thing is I wish this had Gamecenter. We need online leaderboards

Those of you who've been holding out on the Cave games are in luck. 1st anniversary sale starts tomorrow:

http://www.cave-world.com/en/sp/1stanniversary-sale/

Dodonpachi Resurrection will be $4.99
Mushihimesama Bug Panic will be $0.99
Espgaluda II is the OpenFeint Fire Sale app starting tomorrow - vote to drop the price in the OpenFeint Game Channel app

All proceeds during the sale from Mushihimesama Bug Panic will go toward Japan earthquake/tsunami relief

[quote name='Dimsdale']Fruits Island: Begins is FREE for "one day only."
"Fruits Island is attacked by a horde of bugs.
With no food, the bugs leave their territory and invade the fruits island.
Fruits gather to stamp out the bugs on the island.
70 days of war has happened among fruits and bugs.
The player’s goal is to clear the 70 stages.
Using water and soil, the player can produce units, upgrade the units, use the totem and skill by using the seeds that are rewarded when a player clears the stage.
This is a defense strategy game using the amount of units and leading them to victory on the battlefield effectively."[/QUOTE]

Showing up as $1 for me.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Showing up as $1 for me.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it showed up free an fe minutes ago for me unless I accidentally paid $1

Please, don't pass up Squareball for free. The graphics make it look like it belongs in the Atari collection, but this is a really excellent game. I believe IGN even called it the best iPhone game of 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back