iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

Just a reminder that the epic Galaxy on Fire 2 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/galaxy-on-fire-2/id397127539?mt=8) just received an update to universal status and will only be $6.99 "for a few days longer." After that, the price will jump to $9.99.

"Catapulted into a war-torn future, eminent space adventurer Keith T. Maxwell finds the galaxy at the mercy of a powerful alien race. Uncovering the truth about this dangerous species, he boldly takes the fight to their doorstep. Join Keith in an intergalactic trek of exploration, pirates, space battles, weird aliens and romance.

STORY
After battling the Vossk in Galaxy on Fire 3D, a hyperdrive malfunction sends Keith T. Maxwell through space and time; awakening 35-years later at the far end of the galaxy, where a strange alien species is wreaking destructive havoc on the warring races occupying this volatile sector of space.

Despite his efforts to return home, Keith is drawn into a plot to investigate and stop this alien menace. Along the way he must fight, trade, explore and negotiate as he uncovers the truth about this powerful enemy, and ultimately find his way home.

Old friends and new enemies join forces as Keith takes command of a dangerous, intergalactic mission to fly deep into enemy space and bring the war to an explosive conclusion."

Zombie Crisis 3D has dropped to $.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/zombie-crisis-3d/id395134487?mt=8)

"Zombie Crisis is an intense, finger-friendly 3D rail shooting game for the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Abandoning the 'traditional' joystick-based FPS, Zombie Crisis releases your fingers from the difficult movement & weapon control and delivers a new, innovative style that lets you focus on the action.

In Zombie Crisis, a bio-accident has taken place at the Argo Company, turning its infected staff into bloodthirsty zombies. When the disaster is about to sweep through the States, a female mercenary soldier, Dana, receives an order to investigate the situation at Argo's lab. Will her investigation lead to a one-way street into those dangerous zombies? Or will she find something even more dangerous than the Zombie Virus?"

[quote name='lllGurulll']tried Angry Birds finally. didn't really care for it.[/QUOTE]

It is a slow burn. You'll be back:lol:

[quote name='52club']It is a slow burn. You'll be back:lol:[/QUOTE]
ya i felt the same but i got hooked on cut the rope

New FAAD titles are now up:

Westbang (http://itunes.apple.com/app/westbang/id316452883?mt=8)
"A sheriff of a small town has been killed. People are desperate for protection.
Will you be the one, who will stand against the outlaws of the wild west?
Westbang is a fast and funny rendition of a classic shooter game! Fight many enemies, test your reaction and compete for the highest score on a way to become a legend of the old West!"

Bouncing Balls (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bouncing-balls/id392590250?mt=8)
"In this game, balls slowly move down a grid. The object is to destroy all the balls before they reach the bottom. Destroy balls when groups of three or more of the same color line up. After these balls are destroyed, other balls will fall to fill their spots and randomly create more groups of three or more, same color. Sometimes you'll need to bounce balls off the walls. If any ball reaches the bottom of the screen, you lose. If you destroy them all, you advance to the next level.
Game features unlimited levels, high definition graphics, leaderboards, achievements, Facebook & Twitter integration plus lots of bouncing balls. To maxamize your experience, we recommend iOS 4.1 or later with Apple's Game Center application."

Lyric Legend (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lyric-legend/id381473803?mt=8)
"Choose a song, hit the orbs in time with the lyrics, and learn what your favorite artists have been singing all along. The game is fun, easy to understand, and exciting to play for any music fan. Learn more or see your scores against the world at LyricLegend.com.
* Five levels of difficulty let you jump in at your own comfort level with enough room to grow as you master the lyrics. Start off in beginner mode to get the hang of things and then speed it up with more orbs and fewer hints to prove you’ve reached expert status.
* Use Legend Power to increase your score, and get a word streak to increase your multiplier
* Test your scores against the world or in your local hometown with GPS based scoring
* Grab up to 4 friends and play local multiplayer (Bluetooth only).
* Beat the bonus challenges to increase your score when there are no lyrics during a song"

Be2 – Escape from Pongland
is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/be2-escape-from-pongland/id387054918?mt=8)
"Help Be Square (aka Be2, aka "The Dot") get rid of those nasty paddles and escape the dreadful world of Pongland. Guide Be2 through mazes, moving platforms, roller-coasters rides, mysterious puzzles and more. Experience new lifestyles and play-styles. Collect all bonuses and unlock all achievements
And remember: live free or die!"

[quote name='jason506']Several Gamevil games on sale
Zenonia 1 for .99 http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=316720410&mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=6
Zenonia 2 for 2.99 http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id364597916?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=6
Hybrid 1 for .99 http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=330262659&mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=6
Hybrid 2 for 2.99 http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hybrid-2-saga-of-nostalgia/id389721562?mt=8
Soccer Superstars for .99 http://itunes.apple.com/app/soccer-superstars/id374457065?mt=8

and for IPAD Users
Baseball Superstars for 2.99 http://itunes.apple.com/app/baseball-superstars-2010-hd/id393829505?mt=8[/QUOTE]

Damn, I've been waiting to pull the trigger on Zenonia. Should I pass on the first and just jump to the second?

[quote name='CONMAN999']Would anyone reccomend Zenonia or Hybrid?[/QUOTE]
The first zenonia has 16 thousand reviews so it must have been well liked, I just bought it and tried it out and it seemed pretty cool.

[quote name='Ed_']Any CAGs checked out Rage yet? :)[/QUOTE]

I bought it at .99 and it is worth it. Plays like a rail shooter with good graphics.

[quote name='CONMAN999']Would anyone reccomend Zenonia or Hybrid?[/QUOTE]

It's alright. I found its quests to be super repetitive, but it is a polished game for sure. I don't regret buying it on sale

Amateur Surgeon 2 came out recently and as a result, both AS1 and AS2 are down to $1 each for the time being.

These are ports of Adult Swim flash games (And thus are free to play online.) and are not spectacular but I am such a giant Trauma Center fanboy that I enjoyed these for what they were. AS2 is better by MILES and if you only want one, that's the one to get, but AS1 also has a great many clever operations that you miss out on. Plus, the backstory, but it's almost more interesting to hear Alan tell it in AS2 than to live it in AS1.

They are both just charming games, in my opinion, more than you'd expect from Adult Swim.

The Phoenix Wright port, by the way, is functional and if you never played the game on DS, you should consider getting it here. I've only got a couple qualms with it. The menu you have to hold on to open and release to select is WAY too clunky and slow for it's own good, saving is too indeterminate for my tastes (You have a save option and what appears to be a home button restore option too. It looked ugly and not well thought out.), and the text is still unskippable until you beat the case and replay it (And then, naturally, you lose that savegame if you delete the app.), so there is absolutely NO reason to double dip if you already have PW1 on DS, but, if you don't, there's not likely to be a better chance for you to dive into the franchise.

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']..and what seems to be the problem?[/QUOTE]
Do you have any idea how many people have posted, "Tell me what apps to buy"? To those of us who view this forum several times a week, it gets pretty old. I don't mean to pick on you because you're far from the first (or the last), but it really clogs up these threads.

It's like walking into a gym and yelling, "So how do I get jacked up?" Or walking into a strip club and yelling, "So how do I get jacked off?" It's just sort of uncouth.

I think all these deja vu aspects just show that we need a prominent, general iDevice discussion thread on CAG. Then this one can be only about deals.

Having bought Game Dev Story because of the tiny sale... I must say, it might be my favorite iPhone game! It's not a game that you would say, "hey, this was built for the iphone!" But, it's the only game I've played that I have legitimately lost time playing. I started it for the first time last night and the next time I looked at the clock... over an hour had already passed! Simply ridiculous. It would be nice if the game got updated with some kind of leaderboard system in the future.

[quote name='RollingSkull']The Phoenix Wright port, by the way, is functional and if you never played the game on DS, you should consider getting it here [...][/QUOTE]
Thanks for the mini-review, RollingSkull! With the DS version of the first game becoming a bit hard to come by, I think I that I will go ahead and jump on this.

[quote name='ryanflucas']I'm figuring that towards the end of next year, I will have to refer to this as the iOS Devices Sales Thread. By then I think the AppleTV will be able to play games. Either with cloud based storage, or via bluetooth connection to the iPod/iPad/iPhone.

The Macintosh App Store will be an entirely different thread though since it wouldn't apply to as many people.[/QUOTE]

Eh. If/When Apple makes the AppleTV capable of using apps, I don't think it's going to use iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad apps because I think there'll be a lot of difference between the UI of a touchscreen-based device and a device without said interface.

Even if they did do that, I assume it'll be like today where most developers are making "universal apps" and "iPad apps" and pricing up the apps for the iPad. So you'll THEN have iPhone apps, iPhone Retina apps (aka what most "universal" apps are), iPad apps, and then AppleTV apps. With a few truly "universal" apps out there that work across most or all of these devices.

The older thread was a convenient place to look for apps very quickly, but with Ipad and AppleTV content coming to this one, I'm wait and see if that remains true here because now instead of knowing what I'm looking at is relevant to my device, I'll have to double-check to be sure it's not an iPad-only (or in the future AppleTV-only) app.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Eh. If/When Apple makes the AppleTV capable of using apps, I don't think it's going to use iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad apps because I think there'll be a lot of difference between the UI of a touchscreen-based device and a device without said interface.

Even if they did do that, I assume it'll be like today where most developers are making "universal apps" and "iPad apps" and pricing up the apps for the iPad. So you'll THEN have iPhone apps, iPhone Retina apps (aka what most "universal" apps are), iPad apps, and then AppleTV apps. With a few truly "universal" apps out there that work across most or all of these devices.

The older thread was a convenient place to look for apps very quickly, but with Ipad and AppleTV content coming to this one, I'm wait and see if that remains true here because now instead of knowing what I'm looking at is relevant to my device, I'll have to double-check to be sure it's not an iPad-only (or in the future AppleTV-only) app.[/QUOTE]

Considering there is no such thing as an Apple TV app at this point, and iPad app sales are few and far between, you can rest easy.

[quote name='seanr1221']Considering there is no such thing as an Apple TV app at this point, and iPad app sales are few and far between, you can rest easy.[/QUOTE]

Ya. He trippin'

[quote name='seanr1221']Considering there is no such thing as an Apple TV app at this point, and iPad app sales are few and far between, you can rest easy.[/QUOTE]

actually if you jailbreak it you can get 3 apps so far, one of them is only a weather app though.... lol

The idea is that you'll use your idevice as a controller for apple tv apps.

Also, maybe the first thread could include that same list of "essential apps" that get listed ad nauseum in this thread, because honestly, it gets annoying and takes a lot of space.

FAAD is currently featuring:

Rednecks vs Aliens
(http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rednecks-vs-aliens/id386207467?mt=8)
"Do you have what it takes to survive an alien invasion? Defend your redneck farmhouse from waves of outer-space invaders in this new spin on the classic tower defence strategy genre. Kill enemies, earn money, buy upgrades, and repeat!
Get out the Potato Gun, Lawnmower Blade Launcher, or those old bottles of Mayonnaise. You will have to use everything at your disposal: tornadoes, farts, shotguns, AK-47's, mine traps (and much more). Yeehaw!"

Tap Tap Ants (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tap-tap-ants/id348839552?mt=8)
"Do you have a good reflex? Do you Love to play tapping games?
Let’s have a test of your reflexes and tapping speed!
Start squashing Ants on "Tap Tap Ants" and Improve your reflex speed.
Imagine you have some delicious Pizzas and you don’t want to share those with ANTS!
But Ants are rushing to your foods! You have to kill those ants; the way to exterminate them is by tapping. The more ants you kill the more points you gather. But, you are being timed so you get a total of 60 seconds to kill the ants. DON’T MISS any Ants!!!"

A 3-D multi-player Battleship-clone, Minute Commander is FREE through the weekend (http://itunes.apple.com/app/minute-commander/id388640436?mt=8).
"Minute Commander is a futuristic turn-based 3d naval battle game in which you can play against 2-3 of your friends or against computer players. The game is played with SINGLE device and one turn lasts one MINUTE. The main goal is to destroy your enemy as fast as you can. Each player has a fleet consisting of one heavy, two medium and two light class ships. The ships are equipped with stock weapons when the battle starts. Larger range of weapons are delivered to the battle area as the game advances."

iMole Defence is also FREE until Monday (http://itunes.apple.com/app/imole-defence/id399749399?mt=8).
"This is a kind of tower defense and RTS game!
In the forest, there live a group of happy moles. They have always had enough to live on for life and enjoyed gourmet food for thousands of years. Every day the only work that they need to do is to take their favorite dessert back home.
Until yesterday, a guy called Boss broke into their home and announced that none of the moles were allowed to have too much food. What the reason was that for the so called “low carbon”,they had to keep weight.The damned Boss tries every possible method to prevent the moles from taking food back home. The moles also fight to defend the dessert.
Now, in the game, you are the abominable Boss!"

[quote name='ViolentLee']Do you have any idea how many people have posted, "Tell me what apps to buy"? To those of us who view this forum several times a week, it gets pretty old. I don't mean to pick on you because you're far from the first (or the last), but it really clogs up these threads.

It's like walking into a gym and yelling, "So how do I get jacked up?" Or walking into a strip club and yelling, "So how do I get jacked off?" It's just sort of uncouth.

I think all these deja vu aspects just show that we need a prominent, general iDevice discussion thread on CAG. Then this one can be only about deals.[/QUOTE]

Can you tell me what apps to buy? Also while we are on the subject, could you also tell me how to get jacked up while we're at the gym. On a related note, could you also tell me how do I get jacked off while we're at the strip club.

[quote name='GenPirate']On a related note, could you also tell me how do I get jacked off while we're at the strip club.[/QUOTE]

Depending upon the club it's going to range anywhere from $20-$100. It's figure into the private room charge. I assume. From movies. Not personal experience.

Damn it.

[quote name='GenPirate']Can you tell me what apps to buy? Also while we are on the subject, could you also tell me how to get jacked up while we're at the gym. On a related note, could you also tell me how do I get jacked off while we're at the strip club.[/QUOTE]

Hey man, that's uncouth. We can't go around talking about worthwhile apps in an app deal thread. There's obviously an entire section for iOS discussions that you should be using. If there isn't, it's somehow your fault for not creating it. I'd appreciate if everyone would continue to further pollute this thread with random whining about relevant app/device content that does not specifically mention a sale. I'm capable of ignoring that content, unlike those pesky lists of worthy applications. :lol:

Train Conducter - FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/train-conductor/id344442490?cjid=10492644-1225267-u0t0f0fp0c0s5814)
"Control trains with the swipe of a finger, avoid disastrous collisions and explore 10 exotic Australian levels. THIS IS NO SIMULATION - JUST SUPER FUN! Become a Train Conductor today!"

Skate It by EA - .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/skate-it-by-ea/id360804032?cjid=10492644-1225267-u0t0f0fp0c0s5814)
"Skate it, own it, make it yours. Nail the kickflip, grind the rail, and lay down killer lines. The most realistic skate experience for iPhone® & iPod touch® is now in your hands."

[quote name='seanr1221']Got Rage HD. Really awesome.

The iPad needs more sales. Hopefully the pick up soon.[/QUOTE]

When they change it to add the front and back cameras and a carbon fiber backing (as the rumor is), it will pick up.

[quote name='Malik112099']its total BS that Lego harry Potter wont work on 4.0.1[/QUOTE]
What device are you using, because I hear it won't work with anything lower than 3rd gen (the 8 gig isn't really third gen either).

[quote name='Malik112099']its total BS that Lego harry Potter wont work on 4.0.1[/QUOTE]

I agree, I've ran into that problem with a few apps and it's quite annoying. I guess that's one way to screw the jailbreakers.

Question though, did you notice that when you downloaded it through iTunes or through your phone? I got the notice on my phone. I wonder if I bought it on iTunes if I would have been screwed.

Rage HD is my 4th app/game over .99 and it is worth it! Sound and graphics are awesome. Controls are a bit iffy but I don't see how they could have done them better. I wish I could touch items to pick them up because I find myself wasting ammo trying to do it.

[quote name='jason506']What device are you using, because I hear it won't work with anything lower than 3rd gen (the 8 gig isn't really third gen either).[/QUOTE]

im on a iphone 4 16gb fw4.0.1

[quote name='LuisRM']I agree, I've ran into that problem with a few apps and it's quite annoying. I guess that's one way to screw the jailbreakers.

Question though, did you notice that when you downloaded it through iTunes or through your phone? I got the notice on my phone. I wonder if I bought it on iTunes if I would have been screwed.[/QUOTE]

It does not work on the iphone 4 fw 4.0.1 when downloaded off the appstore. Google it or look at the reviews. Many people have paid for it and gotten an error when downloading/installing.

There will eventually be Apple TV apps, just indirectly. What Apple will do is take whatever is on your iOS device's display and send it wirelessly over Bluetooth to your AppleTV and show it on the screen. Your iOS device will still do all the processing.

The AppleTV has nand flash inside of it but that's reserved for future OS updates, not necessarily app store use.

If you guys have any App problems, make sure you are dumping your ram frequently. Apple suggests resetting the device (holding down the top button and home until the reboot) but I find this is unnecessary. All you need to do is press the home button twice, then tap and hold on any of the multitasking icons until they start shaking. Then tap each one until nothing is left running. That way you free up the internal memory so apps run faster/better.

I do this before I start any ram intensive apps such as Hulu, Netflix, and various Shooters.

Does having apps in the bottom bar stress the battery? I've always wondered that.

Oh yeah, I also think apps will eventually come to the Nano. You'd have Mac apps, iPhone/touch apps, TV apps and Nano apps :lol:

[quote name='seanr1221']Does having apps in the bottom bar stress the battery? I've always wondered that.

Oh yeah, I also think apps will eventually come to the Nano. You'd have Mac apps, iPhone/touch apps, TV apps and Nano apps :lol:[/QUOTE]

Only if those applications utilize push notifications. I don't see how they could use resources otherwise. iOS doesn't have true multitasking, it's more simulated as when you open another app, it's just placing each one on a shelf and going one at a time. I've noticed that if I leave push notifications enabled, some apps will send me pop up indicators even when the app is closed and not in the bottom tray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back