iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='ryanflucas']There will eventually be Apple TV apps, just indirectly. What Apple will do is take whatever is on your iOS device's display and send it wirelessly over Bluetooth to your AppleTV and show it on the screen. Your iOS device will still do all the processing.

The AppleTV has nand flash inside of it but that's reserved for future OS updates, not necessarily app store use.[/QUOTE]

Apple TV runs iOS, the only thing stopping it from running apps is that Apple is not allowing it. I thought the people developing the jailbreaks said they could run apps but they couldn't do much because of the memory. Apple probably figured hackers would jailbreak it and decided to remove the memory to prevent major use. I really think it would be ridiculous that I need to have 2 devices in order to use one of them but then again if anyone would do such a douche move it would be Apple.

Hedgehog Launch is the latest FAAD title (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hedgehog-launch/id393775889?mt=8).
"Launch your hedgehog into space in as few days as possible. Earn money by bouncing off platforms and hitting coins to buy upgrades. The higher and longer you go the more cash bonus you'll get!"

Quiz 4 is the newest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/quiz-4/id403433198?mt=8).
"Quiz 4 is competitive, no nonsense, general trivia, multiple choice quiz...
It will engage You in a fun and interesting manner, providing hours of fun for You and Your friends...
Presenting many interesting facts in between...
Features highly sophisticated time based scoring system, thousands of questions in a powerful quiz engine, local/open feint/game center high score table and many achievements.
All that in a beautiful environment suitable for ages 12-112...
All done in a state of the art way that saves iPhone cpu and memory resources. It can be played for hours and not drain the iPhone's battery..."

Well after playing about 45 minutes of Crimson Gem Saga, I'm pretty impressed. The game is clearly a port because the production values are way above most iOS rpg's. The control works decent enough, the voice acting adds a nice touch not seen in to many ipod games, graphics are also fairly well done. One complaint I have is the battle system while fun is a bit annoying to choose commands, I found myself trying to go down one from attack to skills and it went down 2 or 3. While not a game breaker and I was getting a bit better at it seems like a poor way to do it.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/crimson...=30&siteID=FKSJxY2VJAk-jxQhyJRf3k7UJ00ZpJ_IZQ

Flingy has dropped to FREE for your Thanksgiving flinging fun (http://itunes.apple.com/app/flingy/id395631319?mt=8).

"Flingy the robot has fallen from his home in the sky!

Propelled by his jetpack, Flingy must swing around spheres to get back to his beloved Mrs Flingy-- but he’s clumsy and needs you to control his grapple!

Flingy is a fun, pick-up and play arcade game designed to keep you coming back for ‘just one more go!’ With challenging physics-based action and lots of upwards speed, Flingy is unlike anything you’ve played before.

Simply tap spheres to grapple to them and tap anywhere to disconnect. Use Flingy’s momentum to fling him higher and higher!

Save Flingy from falling or get a super powerful fling using the new jets button!"

[quote name='Shimrra']Why? I love the game and played it to death on the Genesis but the on screen action is bananas. I doubt this game is playable after the second stage let alone when you get to the boss that has multiple forms.[/QUOTE]
It can be done--I did it one the Wii not too long ago--but with just a touchscreen, it would probably be a hopeless endeavor.

[quote name='jason506']Crimson Gem Saga has lowered in price to 4.99 from the 22nd through the 30th (http://itunes.apple.com/app/crimson-gem-saga/id381217285?mt=8#)
4.99 seems like a fair price for what your getting. I'll buy it and give you guys impressions.[/QUOTE]

It's worth it for that price, but not much more: the game requires an incredible amount of grinding for next to no tangible rewards, and the battle system, while quick, is rather sparse and wears thin.

I played the PSP version for maybe 5 or so hours, then hit a brick wall and completely lost interest.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Amateur Surgeon 2 came out recently and as a result, both AS1 and AS2 are down to $1 each for the time being.

These are ports of Adult Swim flash games (And thus are free to play online.) and are not spectacular but I am such a giant Trauma Center fanboy that I enjoyed these for what they were. AS2 is better by MILES and if you only want one, that's the one to get, but AS1 also has a great many clever operations that you miss out on. Plus, the backstory, but it's almost more interesting to hear Alan tell it in AS2 than to live it in AS1.

They are both just charming games, in my opinion, more than you'd expect from Adult Swim.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, I downloaded the AS Christmas Edition on a whim (thanks to the guys here that posted it) and like it so much I paid the $2.99 for AS1. AS2 seems to be a little "less precise" from AS1 in that markers for the different procedures that need to be done are larger so the frustration of having a real "surgeon's hand" isn't as bad. Which is the one thing I hated about AS1, I'd thought I made the entire incision in a procedure and the game wouldn't progress to the next step, turned out that I had missed a small dotted line that ended up underneath some of the tool icons. In AS2 I noticed the cut indicators & dotted lines are larger to help avoid this...

If you can get all 3 for $2 (I think the Christmas one is still free), I'd hop all over it! Great games and possibility for replayability to up your procedure grades...

I have a few iOS device freebies for anyone who wants them. Just send me a message.

-- Power Support Crystal Film Screen Protector set for original iPhone
-- Apple Earbuds with Volume Control
-- Monster brand Headphone Splitter

[quote name='Dimsdale']Hedgehog Launch is the latest FAAD title (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hedgehog-launch/id393775889?mt=8).
"Launch your hedgehog into space in as few days as possible. Earn money by bouncing off platforms and hitting coins to buy upgrades. The higher and longer you go the more cash bonus you'll get!"
[/QUOTE]

I played this on PC when it came out back in the day. It's pretty fun. You earn money and buy useless upgrades like goggles.

[quote name='Javansdaddy']Totally agree, I downloaded the AS Christmas Edition on a whim (thanks to the guys here that posted it) and like it so much I paid the $2.99 for AS1. AS2 seems to be a little "less precise" from AS1 in that markers for the different procedures that need to be done are larger so the frustration of having a real "surgeon's hand" isn't as bad. Which is the one thing I hated about AS1, I'd thought I made the entire incision in a procedure and the game wouldn't progress to the next step, turned out that I had missed a small dotted line that ended up underneath some of the tool icons. In AS2 I noticed the cut indicators & dotted lines are larger to help avoid this...

If you can get all 3 for $2 (I think the Christmas one is still free), I'd hop all over it! Great games and possibility for replayability to up your procedure grades...[/QUOTE]

AS2 definitely fixes a lot of the awful aspects of AS1.

Sadly, Christmas Edition isn't on Itunes any more.

Diner Dash has dropped to $.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/diner-dash/id289530584?mt=8)

"Help Flo, a budding restauranteur, grow her signature diner from a greasy spoon to a five-star joint. Delight your eager customers by seating, serving, and clearing quickly to earn big tips. Soothe impatient guests with coffee before they get angry and skip out on the bill!

Diner Dash offers a full menu of play on-the-go as you tap, touch, and slide your way to the top of the restaurant ladder. Play Diner Dash, where FUN is the order of the day!"

Remember when I mentioned playing games on TV via Apple TV's connection to the iOS device? Airplay that was just released with the latest iOS update today does that, jut not with gaming yet. It will stream movies, photos, and music though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGWFXTn7WAE

I see them eventually adding Gaming. So you still game on the iOS device, but it just displays on your big TV screen instead.

Yeah Shift is quite fun, is it worth getting undercover if I have shift? Also debating on Ambitions and Command and Conquer Red Alert. Is Red Alert the full game from the PC?

[quote name='ryanflucas']Remember when I mentioned playing games on TV via Apple TV's connection to the iOS device? Airplay that was just released with the latest iOS update today does that, jut not with gaming yet. It will stream movies...

I see them eventually adding Gaming. So you still game on the iOS device, but it just displays on your big TV screen instead.[/QUOTE]

I picked up an apple tv to stream all the digital copies and tv shows I have for my kids from my iPad, it's extremely easy to use and the video quality is really good. But, there is some buffeting at first when it loads, I'd imagine that could creat some real lag issues with controls using an iPhone/iPad to play a game on the tv.

I was thinking of picking up an Apple TV too!!! I thought it was suppose to have no lag because of the A4 chip. I really want it but I might wait on it, is it worth it?? Especially with the new iPod support?

App store reviews have always been semi-reliable at best but since that checkpoints app came out, they're practically useless. The majority of the reviews now are just people trying to get you to use their checkpoints referral code. I'm glad that's not happening here, er, well that's what sigs are for.

I know this hasnt got to do anything with apps, but did anyone notice that downloading iOS 4.2 causes your tv shows to have their sorting messed up? I'll have different shows all show up under 1 category.

[quote name='jason506']Yeah Shift is quite fun, is it worth getting undercover if I have shift? [/QUOTE]
For a buck, Undercover is a no-brainer. Really fun if you like the NFS franchise style of racing (which I personally prefer over hardcore sims). I have both titles and I find myself playing Undercover more than Shift these days. Pick it up while it's on sale and you won't regret it.

The puzzler Alchemedes! is FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/alchemedes/id400616682?mt=8).
"Assist the mad scientist Alchemedes as he performs experiments to convert lead into gold in this zany addictive puzzler.
Features:
-Full HD Graphics optimized for Retina display
-150 unique puzzles for nearly endless challenges
-Easy to learn and play, interactive tutorial teaches you!
-Unlockable Bonuses
-Atmospheric sound"

Real Bird Hunting Challenge
is the current OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/real-bird-hunting-challenge/id373035880?mt=8).
"Real Bird Hunting Challenge combines realism with fast-paced bird blasting arcade action!
Take a trip around the best bird hunting locations throughout the United States as you bag ducks, geese, pheasant, quail and the elusive and challenging mother of all birds - the turkey! Developed by the founders of the hunting game genre and the App Store top selling titles: Real Deer Hunting & Real Trophy Hunting.
With Real Bird Hunting Challenge, you can pick your favorite bird hunting shotgun, and take a trip to your favorite pond or field for a day of birding action. You'll have 90 seconds to bag your limit of birds, and score enough points to open up the next hunting location!"

[quote name='Dimsdale']For a buck, Undercover is a no-brainer. Really fun if you like the NFS franchise style of racing (which I personally prefer over hardcore sims). I have both titles and I find myself playing Undercover more than Shift these days. Pick it up while it's on sale and you won't regret it.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Dims, I think they've nailed the racing genre on the iOS. I've decided to get Command and Conquer too, it used to be my favorite computer series.

Reckless Racing HD for a buck is great, pick that up, I bought it during the last sale for $2 and well worth it.

Madden is just OK, but $5 is getting to be a resonable price for that, I got it last week and have been pretty disappointed in it. Lower your expectations and you might be happy with it.

Great! I was waiting for Tetris to drop in price again. I hope to see more games go on sale this holiday.

might grab tetris and command & conquer, 99 cents is a nice price, but even for that cheap im not sure how much i would play them over what i currently play.

I'm waffling on Tetris. Even though 99 cents, I'm just not sure how much I'm going to play it. It is a nice game to have on hand for time killing purposes, but I don't know.... Does Tetris have fast app switching support or otherwise save your state?

P.S. Mushihimesama Bug Panic is awesome (just search for Bug Panic - don't bother trying to remember that first word :) ). Not on sale, in fact it's now up in price to $4.99, but it's worth it. There is suppose to be a Lite version soon to try, but I don't see it yet, at least not in appshopper. Anyway, I'm in world 5 now. I wish more of my Game Center friends had it. Aside from the adventure mode, the endless mode is fantastic. I only played Endless Mode once because I haven't finished Adventure Mode yet, but it was really fun. There's also a Timed mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='seanr1221']Reckless Racing for the iPad is .99!

Also, Madden HD is 4.99.

And Yahtzee HD is .99.

Scrable HD is 4.99.[/QUOTE]

Reckless Racing, Scrabble, and Yahtzee are all awesome, especially for those prices. I think I'm going to jump on Madden for $5, I didn't buy a football game this year at all so this may be enough to get me through the rest of the season.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm waffling on Tetris. Even though 99 cents, I'm just not sure how much I'm going to play it. It is a nice game to have on hand for time killing purposes, but I don't know.... Does Tetris have fast app switching support or otherwise save your state?
[/QUOTE]

If you hit the home button while in game, you will have to go through them main menus again. Fortunately, it DOES save exactly where you left off.

As a big fan of Tetris, I'm a little put off by the controls. Sometimes when you slide down to drop a block, it moves to the side and ruins your move. Other than that, it's a polished Tetris game that, in the end, I'm sure I'll get my money's worth out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back