iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

THQ is having a sale on select titles right now including Star Wars Arcade: Falcon Gunner for .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/star-wars-arcade-falcon-gunner/id399665096?mt=8#).

"Strap in, kid -- and get ready to immerse yourself in the Star Wars universe like never before with Star Wars Arcade: Falcon Gunner." Available ONLY for IPHONE 4, IPHONE 3GS and IPOD TOUCH 4TH GEN, Falcon Gunner is the first Star Wars game with augmented reality technology, letting you do battle with the Empire just about anywhere.
FEATURES:
AR MODE BRINGS THE FIGHT TO YOUR LIVING ROOM: Using your phone's camera, gyroscope/compass and accelerometer, Falcon Gunner turns your earthly surroundings into epic space battles and lets you control the action by steering your body in physical space. It's like nothing you've ever seen.
CLASSIC ARCADE ACTION, 20+ LEVELS: Inspired by the classic 1984 Star Wars arcade title, this first-person action game throws you into the Millennium Falcon's gunnery seat, letting you experience more than 20 levels of arcade action spanning the legendary smuggling vessel's most exciting moments -- including the Death Star escape, asteroid field pursuit across Hoth and infamous Kessel Run.
SPECIAL MODIFICATIONS: As you blast your way through waves of TIE fighters, Star Destroyers, and a few other special surprises, you'll earn credits that can be used to make special modifications to the Falcon’s offensive and defensive capabilities, including concussion missiles and a low-level tractor beam... perfect for grabbing TIE interceptors and launching them back at their black-helmeted buddies. (And if you're impatient, you can purchase them from within the game.)
RETINA DISPLAY SUPPORT: The Millennium Falcon's scratched-glass windshield has never looked as good as it does on iPhone 4 and iPod Touch (4th Gen)."

[quote name='Dimsdale']THQ is having a sale on select titles right now including Star Wars Arcade: Falcon Gunner for .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/star-wars-arcade-falcon-gunner/id399665096?mt=8#).

"Strap in, kid -- and get ready to immerse yourself in the Star Wars universe like never before with Star Wars Arcade: Falcon Gunner." Available ONLY for IPHONE 4, IPHONE 3GS and IPOD TOUCH 4TH GEN, Falcon Gunner is the first Star Wars game with augmented reality technology, letting you do battle with the Empire just about anywhere.
FEATURES:
AR MODE BRINGS THE FIGHT TO YOUR LIVING ROOM: Using your phone's camera, gyroscope/compass and accelerometer, Falcon Gunner turns your earthly surroundings into epic space battles and lets you control the action by steering your body in physical space. It's like nothing you've ever seen.
CLASSIC ARCADE ACTION, 20+ LEVELS: Inspired by the classic 1984 Star Wars arcade title, this first-person action game throws you into the Millennium Falcon's gunnery seat, letting you experience more than 20 levels of arcade action spanning the legendary smuggling vessel's most exciting moments -- including the Death Star escape, asteroid field pursuit across Hoth and infamous Kessel Run.
SPECIAL MODIFICATIONS: As you blast your way through waves of TIE fighters, Star Destroyers, and a few other special surprises, you'll earn credits that can be used to make special modifications to the Falcon’s offensive and defensive capabilities, including concussion missiles and a low-level tractor beam... perfect for grabbing TIE interceptors and launching them back at their black-helmeted buddies. (And if you're impatient, you can purchase them from within the game.)
RETINA DISPLAY SUPPORT: The Millennium Falcon's scratched-glass windshield has never looked as good as it does on iPhone 4 and iPod Touch (4th Gen)."[/QUOTE]
awesome thanks. i will pick this up when i get back to the house since it requires wi-fi. it has great reviews and i was waiting for a price drop. normally $5.

[quote name='mcdaking84']I can't believe I just found out about MaXplosion. what a blatant rip off[/QUOTE]

Funny thing is this publicity is fueling the games' sales. Theres no such thing as bad publicity

[quote name='ryanflucas']Those of you with iPad's check out Sarien to play classic point & click Sierra games for free over the web. Also works in your normal PC/MAC web browsers.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much. I grew up with those games, I hope they add more.

Jenga is back down to $.99, Damn I wish Star Wars Arcade worked on iPad.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='thirtytwoutside']Thanks for the heads-up. Purchased and downloading now via my work's incredibly slow wifi. And I have a swivel chair... looks like I know how I'll be spending my afternoon.

*edit*

THIS IS THE COOLEST APP EVER![/QUOTE]

Hmm, was looking at maybe picking this up for the 99c, but then I saw that there's at least 10 items of DLC for 99c each. What do those things add to the game, and is it fun enough without buying them?

[quote name='Thrakker']Hmm, was looking at maybe picking this up for the 99c, but then I saw that there's at least 10 items of DLC for 99c each. What do those things add to the game, and is it fun enough without buying them?[/QUOTE]

The DLC is paying to unlock ship upgrades you can also earn by playing the game, like buying gold in Infinity Blade, so it's not necessary to the game.

Decided to fork over the 99 cents for Star Wars Falcon Gunner. The other AR game I have I played once or twice, and barely that, but maybe this one will be more fun. Everybody sure seems to like it. Wish I had a swivel chair in the house, but there's always the office tomorrow. :)

[quote name='crunchewy']Decided to fork over the 99 cents for Star Wars Falcon Gunner. The other AR game I have I played once or twice, and barely that, but maybe this one will be more fun. Everybody sure seems to like it. Wish I had a swivel chair in the house, but there's always the office tomorrow. :)[/QUOTE]
!!! I play that in a swivel chair in my office and I'm always worried someone will walk in on me haha.

Only played it briefly, but yes, Star Wars Arcade: Falcon Gunner is worth the 99 cents! So cool, shooting tie fighters in your living room. You have to turn on the AR mode in the settings, FYI, and obviously must have an iPhone or iPod touch with camera and gyro (current gen). This game is actually fun, unlike that first AR game that came out a while back. It has Game Center, which is another plus.

Here's the link for the previously-mentioned Super Yum Yum: Puzzle Adventures, the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/super-yum-yum-puzzle-adventures/id402259823?mt=8).
"A fruit monster has run off with your juicy fruit and kidnapped your babies. Help Leon chase after Ms. Tum Tum in this off-the-wall puzzle adventure spanning 4 worlds and 48 brain-tingling levels.
Eat fruit, change your colour, and lick your babies to make them follow you. Remember, more chameleons means more eating power, and that means it's GIANT FRUIT time!"

[quote name='o0achilles0o']World of Goo for iPad on sale for the first time at $4.99.[/QUOTE]
Nabbed, thanks!

-Update-
Played a bit, feels just like the pc version (maybe even better with the touch controls).

Does anyone know how you avoid the asteroids in Star Wars Arcade: Falcon Gunner?

[quote name='francobash']Grim for $0.99, definitely worth the purchase, excellent graphics and music.[/QUOTE]

What is "Grim"? I searched for that on appshopper, but it didn't turn up anything called just "Grim".

[quote name='crunchewy']Does anyone know how you avoid the asteroids in Star Wars Arcade: Falcon Gunner?

What is "Grim"? I searched for that on appshopper, but it didn't turn up anything called just "Grim".[/QUOTE]

I think "Grimm" is what the poster meant to type.

I can't get any more apps cuz the vids I have taken are eating up my memory. Anyone know how to transfer them to pc without the horrible quality loss I get when I do it?

I use vista and just plug the iphone into it and copy straight from the phone to a desktop folder. The pics are fine but the video is horrible, choppy, pixelated and unwatchable. H E L P!!! :wall:

[quote name='crunchewy']Only played it briefly, but yes, Star Wars Arcade: Falcon Gunner is worth the 99 cents! So cool, shooting tie fighters in your living room. You have to turn on the AR mode in the settings, FYI, and obviously must have an iPhone or iPod touch with camera and gyro (current gen). This game is actually fun, unlike that first AR game that came out a while back. It has Game Center, which is another plus.[/QUOTE]
i agree with all of this 100%. its a fun game and it uses all the features of the iphone 4 (camera, accelerometer, and gyroscope) perfectly.

On Target: Loaded Finger is FREE until midnight Sunday (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/on-target-loaded-finger/id406488542?mt=8#).
"On Target is a fast paced shooting game that requires skill, accuracy and a fast finger!
Enter the world of On Target and discover many fun and action packed levels testing your speed and accuracy against the clock.
From shooting ninjas to destroying skeleton's On Target will have you hooked all the way.
Test your speed and skill against friends and family to see who tops that all important leader board!
Features dynamic levels, leader boards, Facebook and Twitter integration, hidden bonus features and plenty of gun slinging!"

Bomberman Touch – The Legend of Mystic Bomb is the OpenFeint Fire Sale Friday feature today. On sale for .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/bomberman-touch-the-legend/id281889893?mt=8).
"The story of 'The Legend of Mystic Bomb': Get a hidden treasure in the ruins!
It is said that deep inside the jungle lies a heretical ruins called KA-BOOM TEMPLE, where a legendary treasure is hidden somewhere...
Many adventurers have tried, but none succeeded to even come home alive.
It is here that you will see another daredevil who will take on this challenge, at the risk of his own life, to face KA-BOOM TEMPLE...
He is, Bomberman."

Edge has dropped back down to .99 for the first time since last May (http://itunes.apple.com/app/edge/id300896018?mt=8#).
"Develop your telekinetic strength by pushing a Cube within a geometric universe.
Platforms, enigmas and reflexes combine to make Edge a rich and very comprehensive game.
• An original game ideally suited for mobile devices
• 48 levels to challenge
• 19 unique tunes!
• A simple, addictive game for every type of player"

For all you iPad gamers, Jules Verne's Return to Mysterious Island – Deluxe Edition is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jules-vernes-return-to-mysterious/id405964285?mt=8).
"Plunge into the heart of one of the greatest adventures by Jules Verne!
While participating in the famous solo round-the-world sailing expedition - the Jules Verne Trophy - the navigator, Mina, strands on a island without any way to contact the emergency services. Therefore the courageous young woman will only rely on her senses and her ability to recuperate, before trying to escape the island. However, a mysterious shadow hovers over this land, cut off from the world, which does not appear so uninhabited as it seemed at first sight...
Freely adapted from the "Mysterious Island" by Jules Verne, "Return to Mysterious Island" is the sequel to the novel. In the role of Mina, explore the mythical locations of the original work (Granite House, Volcano, Nautilus, etc.) and solve many puzzles hidden in the mysterious island."

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Looks like a bunch of games are on sale from EA this weekend[/QUOTE]

Rock Band Reloaded for ipad down to $4.99.
FIFA 11 for ipad is $2.99 (any recommendations for this one?)

Grabbed World of Goo for iPad. Glad to see it is backward compatible even though it has GameCenter support. Wish Cave could learn how to do this....sigh.

Wheeler's Treasure is FREE again for the first time in over a year (http://itunes.apple.com/app/wheelers-treasure/id335953311?mt=8).
"Discover the legend of WHEELER'S TREASURE, a spectacular pirate world filled with jungles, treasures, wicked ghosts and more! Follow the Cursed Wheel of The Lost Pirate Captain Wheeler through endless randomly generated challenges. Jump over pits, grab the treasure and hang on to your wheel as you fly down steep hills and splash into hazards. Eighteen unique items are scattered throughout the world for you to collect, with each one bringing new abilities. Avoid dangerous skeletons, bats and ghosts, dodge incoming cannonballs, and protect your treasure from cunning crows!
The Cursed Wheel is destructible, so watch out! Roll into lava and it'll burn. Get hit by cannonballs and you'll find your wheel pieces go flying. Lose all your pieces and it's over"

[quote name='porieux']Grabbed World of Goo for iPad. Glad to see it is backward compatible even though it has GameCenter support. Wish Cave could learn how to do this....sigh.[/QUOTE]
backward compatible? What?

[quote name='dallow']backward compatible? What?[/QUOTE]

Backward compatible with older iOS versions. My iPad is 3.2.1 for example, and probably going to stay that way.

[quote name='dallow']Ah, I see.
What's the aversion to the 4.x upgrade?
I felt the upgrade was hugely beneficial.[/QUOTE]
Untethered jb.

Grabbed Geared 2, thanks! Edge seems interesting, will need to check out some YouTube gameplay.

[quote name='dallow']Ah, I see.
What's the aversion to the 4.x upgrade?
I felt the upgrade was hugely beneficial.[/QUOTE]

Well I have it J/B so I can run iMame4All.

The biggest reason though is that I don't want the orientation lock to be gimped into a useless mute switch.

[quote name='porieux']Well I have it J/B so I can run iMame4All.

The biggest reason though is that I don't want the orientation lock to be gimped into a useless mute switch.[/QUOTE]

there is a j/b add on that turns it back to its original setting.

[quote name='porieux']Well I have it J/B so I can run iMame4All.

The biggest reason though is that I don't want the orientation lock to be gimped into a useless mute switch.[/QUOTE]

4.3 is supposed to give you the option of orientation lock or mute in settings...

[quote name='lilman']Untethered jb.

Grabbed Geared 2, thanks! Edge seems interesting, will need to check out some YouTube gameplay.[/QUOTE]

I don't recommend Edge. Some people seem to love it, but I found it to be an incredibly frustrating trial and error game with nice presentation but bad controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back