iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='louiedog']Shibuya is free this weekend. Ends Monday.[/QUOTE]

Even if you don't like it support it please. Its the same guy (DB Soundworks) who did Super Meatboy soundtrack as well as Canabalt and Gravity Hook. Good people that deserve love.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Even if you don't like it support it please. Its the same guy (DB Soundworks) who did Super Meatboy soundtrack as well as Canabalt and Gravity Hook. Good people that deserve love.[/QUOTE]

Actually I take this back... i got it mixed up with a game named das cubed or something

The puzzler Cell & Love: The Fun of Fusion is currently being featured on Great App a Day (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cell-love-the-fun-of-fusion/id335049607?mt=8).
"Discover an intriguing evolutionary journery, where pairing cells of different sizes and colours results in an organism that grows as you progress through the game.
Cell & Love is a fresh and unique new puzzler where you have to help a little monster to raise his ultimate evolution stage solving 100 levels, by merging cells with your fingers according to 4 simple rules.
More than eight hours of thinking entertainment. Slickly presented, cool and creative graphics and music. Easy to learn, difficult to master. A new kind of puzzle that you need to play."

Another puzzle game, FLUP, is the latest OpenFeint freebie (http://itunes.apple.com/app/flup/id400349678?mt=8).
"Are you ready for a challenge? Flup is a unique 3-D puzzle game unlike any other app. Swipe and Tap your way through 36 brain-busting levels.
Features:
★ High-performance 3D graphics
★ Meticulously crafted and polished gameplay
★ Challenging single player action
★ Frequent upgrades"

Mortal Kombat dropped to 3 bucks. I bought it for 8 when it came out, and had a lot of fun with it. It has a LOT of flaws, but since I'm a MK nut to begin with, I didn't care too much. I'd recommend it for that price.

Shibuya on Endless gets pretty boring - I quit mid-game - but the quick play mode is pretty good in part because it's time limited. Too bad some of the achievements require playing Endless mode, some for a long time.

AutoRobot TD is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/autorobot-td-defend-defeat/id405338261?mt=8).
"Stop all intruding enemies in their tracks and protect your tower with AutoRobot TD – Defend and Defeat! As combat commander, you will play through 60 unique levels to defeat waves of enemies, in either Arcade or Endless mode. Be warned - you need to bring your best strategizing skills to the table to protect your tower. Click “…More” to learn why you should download this App today!"

[quote name='mcdaking84']is there anyway to remove safari?[/QUOTE]

If you are jailbroken just hide the app using sbsettings.

sbsettings > More > Hide Icons

[quote name='InvaderZim']I -think- I remember that in the arcades?[/QUOTE]

You think correctly, though this is quite different than the really old school Road Blaster - which was a totally rad game when I played it back in the mid-80's.

[quote name='mcdaking84']is there anyway to remove safari?[/QUOTE]

I just keep all of my browsers (including safari) in a folder in Safari's original position in the start bar (or whatever the bar at the bottom is called). I am really liking Atomic Browser, btw. First one I've actually actually paid for. I wish you could reorder the tabs, but that is a minor complaint.

[quote name='DtotheP']Atomic web browser is a great buy at $1. The recent update added a download manager and dropbox support, that alone is worth more than a buck.App Store[/QUOTE]

Anyone else recommends Atomic Web Browser? I was hoping that Downloads - Download Manager offered Dropbox support, but since the author hasn't said anything about it I don't know if it's worth it buying Atomic Web Browser or wait for the Downloads - Download Manager's author to come up with something (since the application has good rating).

I mainly want to be able to download things and then upload them to Dropbox.

[quote name='willynateDgreat']You think correctly, though this is quite different than the really old school Road Blaster - which was a totally rad game when I played it back in the mid-80's.[/QUOTE]

If you happened to have a Sega CD, this was called Road Avenger. I enjoyed it a lot when I paid $50 (although I was easily amused by those hand drawn scenes), so a no-brainer for $1.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Anyone else recommends Atomic Web Browser? I was hoping that Downloads - Download Manager offered Dropbox support, but since the author hasn't said anything about it I don't know if it's worth it buying Atomic Web Browser or wait for the Downloads - Download Manager's author to come up with something (since the application has good rating).

I mainly want to be able to download things and then upload them to Dropbox.[/QUOTE]

Dude just spring for atomic, it's half the price of downloads and it does everything downloads does and more. I was initially going to spring for downloads myself because I liked the lite version, but I'm glad I found this instead.

Happy to download Road Blaster, even if it's 300+ megs and I haven't played Cobra Command yet.

Been enjoying Puzzle Agent, which I got for $1 a while ago. Not sure it's worth $5, though -- its current price.

Ok I bought Atomic web browser hoping to be able to put safari on the shelf, not the case, it won't let me type a message on CAG. Road Blaster is great, thanks.

I know you've been dying for a new zombie game, so WantedZombies is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/wantedzombies/id409681991?mt=8).
"Once you shot, you can't stop!
How to play :
- Tap the zombies that match the wanted on the top of the screen.
- There are three kinds of wanted : the Zombie Wanted, the Color Wanted and Kart Wanted.
- You must shot same zombies when display zombie wanted.
- You must shot any zombies of same color when display color wanted.
- You must shot zombies that on the same kart when display kart wanted."

Sick to death of zombies? Try the puzzler Cover Orange instead; it's the latest FAAD featured freebie (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cover-orange/id405229260?mt=8#).
"A dangerous cloud carrying deadly poison rain is on the move, and it’s up to YOU to save the exposed orange population.
Drag the various objects at your disposal and strategically drop them into each new level to prevent the acid rain from touching the precious fruit.All oranges must survive, so they’ll reward you with lovable shouts and cheers if you complete the task.
Cover Orange is an exciting puzzle game suitable for all ages, combining realistic game physics, tricky levels, vibrant colors and funny animations. Get out there and save the vitamin C!"

Jungle Bounce is the new Great App a Day game (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jungle-bounce/id409171046?mt=8).
"Test your skill and timing in this ultimate game of keep-em-up that will leave you guessing at what will happen next."

[quote name='Stimes']Ok I bought Atomic web browser hoping to be able to put safari on the shelf, not the case, it won't let me type a message on CAG. Road Blaster is great, thanks.[/QUOTE]

Which version? I'm typing this on my iPad via atomic web browser without any issues. It's completely replaced safari for me due to the way it handles tabs and doesn't refresh them.

[quote name='powersurge']Which version? I'm typing this on my iPad via atomic web browser without any issues. It's completely replaced safari for me due to the way it handles tabs and doesn't refresh them.[/QUOTE]

I'm on 4.2.1 it's what came on my iPad, it let's me login and post a title but when I tap the message box it doesn't bring up a cursor or keyboard it just highlights the box and gives me the copy option. I'll try again. Now it just zooms in on the box and then back out when I tap on it.

[quote name='Stimes']Ok I bought Atomic web browser hoping to be able to put safari on the shelf, not the case, it won't let me type a message on CAG. Road Blaster is great, thanks.[/QUOTE]

I have had the same issue since I bought Atomic.

Edit:

ah...found the problem and fixed it
settings - identify browser as
it was set to default - mobile safari. I changed it to Mobile Safari iPad and now I can reply to threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Spirits has dropped from $2.99 to $.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/spirits/id392492258?mt=8)

and

Spirits for iPad has dropped from $4.99 to $2.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/spirits-for-ipad/id388636935?mt=8)

"Spirits is an award-winning puzzle game about wind, indirect control and creativity. Guide the spirits towards their destination by using them to manipulate wind, dig tunnels and build bridges of leaves. Find your own creative solution for each of the 40 beautifully hand-drawn levels.

Spirits lets you play at your own pace. Pause the game at any time to get an overview over a level. Try to save as many spirits as possible and pick up the hard-to-get plants to reach a higher world rank. Sound and music are done completely with orchestral musical instruments giving the game a unique poetic feel."

[quote name='revsmitty']I have had the same issue since I bought Atomic.

Edit:

it was set to default - mobile safari. I changed it to Mobile Safari iPad and now I can reply to threads[/QUOTE]

Great, thanks, it worked.

[quote name='revsmitty']I have had the same issue since I bought Atomic.

Edit:

it was set to default - mobile safari. I changed it to Mobile Safari iPad and now I can reply to threads[/QUOTE]

That's one of Atomic's best features. Sometimes I've run across a site that forces itself into a mobile version and I can force it back by changing what browser it ID's as.

I don't remember seeing it mentioned, but Rimelands is currently on sale for $1.99 to celebrate the universal update. It's normally $4.99, so not a bad deal. It's an isometric turn based RPG, published by Crescent Moon, who also published Aralon and developed Ravensword

http://appshopper.com/games/rimelands-hammer-of-thor

Has anyone else noticed that GameCenter seems to have a limit of 81 games at once?
I was comparing my games to some friends, and noticed that there were some games listed as being games my friends owned, but not me, yet I was positive I owned them.

I started them up, and realized that they then pushed the last few games on my list off my list. When I brought those games up again, all my achievements were still there, but apparently GC will only display your most recent 81. Sort of odd.

Regarding Atomic Web Browser:

Damn, I didn't even know I wanted a new browser! Endless settings, fluid UI, great compatibility and Ad-Block! Definitely worth the $0.99. I'll use this exclusively for iPod web browsing. Does anyone know if there's any way to make links in emails automatically open in AWB instead of Safari?

Wow, I just tried Atomic's lite (free) version and it is noticeably faster than Safari for web browsing. Nice! The only other browser I've tried was Opera Mini, but it was definitely slower than Safari. I think I'll spring for the full version since it's only 99 cents.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Regarding Atomic Web Browser:

Damn, I didn't even know I wanted a new browser! Endless settings, fluid UI, great compatibility and Ad-Block! Definitely worth the $0.99. I'll use this exclusively for iPod web browsing. Does anyone know if there's any way to make links in emails automatically open in AWB instead of Safari?[/QUOTE]

The only way is for jailbroken. Browser Change in Cydia.

Doesn't anyone use the Opera browser? I love it . . . I never use Safari on my phone.

Count me in as another satisfied user of AWB. It's so much faster than Safari that it's almost criminal. I've got CAG bookmarked and typing is a breeze (doing it from my phone right now). Thanks again to the OP on this one!

[quote name='INCyr']So is Infinity Blade really worth the $6? Or should I wait for an eventual sale? Only have a 3GS, if that matters.[/QUOTE]Yes, Infinity Blade absolutely is worth the $6 if you're in to beautiful graphics and crisp (albeit not terribly varied) controls. Read a bit on it and decide if it's to your liking. Personally, I spent probably 15 or more hours on the game, but I was addicted. Haven't played it much since maxing out my character, but ready for the next update!

[quote name='iowaholdem']Yes, Infinity Blade absolutely is worth the $6 if you're in to beautiful graphics and crisp (albeit not terribly varied) controls. Read a bit on it and decide if it's to your liking. Personally, I spent probably 15 or more hours on the game, but I was addicted. Haven't played it much since maxing out my character, but ready for the next update![/QUOTE]

Agreed! I spent hours today playing Infinity Blade, and can't wait for an update..i will say though, that as the levels go up and you earn more and more XP per kill, it seems that you always are having to micromanage your equipment. Almost to the point where you can't keep gear you REALLY like, because it is "Mastered" and doesn't allow you any more XP for that slot, thus...you cease to level up. So you're required to buy more expensive crap with not as great bonuses (sometimes), or resort back to weaker gear that you never purchased n the first place (meaning your stats receive a big drop).

This is an error on the devs part I think they overlooked

[quote name='INCyr']So is Infinity Blade really worth the $6? Or should I wait for an eventual sale? Only have a 3GS, if that matters.[/QUOTE]

Unlike iowaholdem and jcp42877, I wouldn't really recommend Infinity Blade. Yes, it probably has the best graphics you'd find on the App Store, but other than that, the whole game is a repetition: you get like 15 scenes or so, at the end you're either killed by the God King or you kill him, rinse and repeat. Enemies get harder over time, and you might see a couple new enemies, but the scenes and sequence are always the same.

I bought the game, played two-three days and haven't touched it since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back