iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='etcrane']Hmmm ... Gamecenter vs. keeping the Michael Jackson zombie ... yeah, still not updating[/QUOTE]

I never could understand why people make such a big deal over this, I especially don't like it when people rate an incredible game 1 star just because of this.

So I was weeding through some of the free games on my iphone and found one gem I never payed much attention to until yesterday.

Stardunk is a futuristic 2D free-throw game where you try to earn as many points as you can within the time limit. The backboard is made up of 4 panels- If you hit each one, you'll earn one of 3 temporary powerups. The more you play the more points you earn that can be used to purchase new balls with special abilities (or just unlock the achievement associated with it). Also, I usually don't comment on this, but the sound effects are awesome!

The BEST part about this is that every 2-3 minutes an online contest starts where you automatically join in and face off against everyone else in the world playing at that time. Random gamers names and scores will show up in the background as you play and you can see your rank in realtime. In general, there are 150-300 people playing at a given time. At the end you see where you placed among everyone.

Anyway, I've been having fun with it and just wanted to give it a shoutout. I'm sure someone has mentioned it in the past, but they've updated it and if you haven't tried it, i think you should give it a shot. It's free!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stardunk/id361152652?mt=8

[quote name='Cimpy101']
...i think you should give it a shot. It's free!
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stardunk/id361152652?mt=8[/QUOTE]
images

It's not bad, for free. Some of the achievements look near-impossible without being perfect in a round though.

Yeah, what's up with Radiant? I hope it goes free soon.

[quote name='jason506']I never could understand why people make such a big deal over this, I especially don't like it when people rate an incredible game 1 star just because of this.[/QUOTE]

I never could understand people who never could understand why people make such a big deal over this. ;)

[quote name='matto1233']Radiant still isn't free, but people are saying that it was in the ratings. Has anyone bought it?[/QUOTE]

I bought it this morning before I heard about it possibly being free. It's sweet. Although I'll be pissed if it goes free since I just bought it today. But for the sake of fellow CAGs, I hope it does.

[quote name='matto1233']Radiant still isn't free, but people are saying that it was in the ratings. Has anyone bought it?[/QUOTE]
I picked it up a couple of months ago when it was free the first time. I just re-installed it on my Touch and played a few rounds. It's pretty fun. A nice update on a retro classic.

AirBattle is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day ( http://itunes.apple.com/app/airbattle/id400560361?mt=8#).
"AirBattle is a classic strategy game similar to Battleship, but instead of navy ships it has airplanes.
Two players hide each 3 planes and try to shoot down the enemy’s planes by hitting in turns. A plane is killed by a hit at the tip. No further hits are required.
Compete with friends or play solo. Good luck, pilot!"

[quote name='jason506']I never could understand why people make such a big deal over this, I especially don't like it when people rate an incredible game 1 star just because of this.[/QUOTE]

App store ratings are super unreliable. People rate things 1 star for the stupidest things, or give glowing reviews then accidentally hit 1 star. You have to sift through and find reviews that are written in intelligible English if you need a little insight.

Has anyone played the full version of Predators? It's not a new deal or anything just wondering if there is any reason not to buy it. Thanks

[quote name='Stimes']Has anyone played the full version of Predators? It's not a new deal or anything just wondering if there is any reason not to buy it. Thanks[/QUOTE]

I bought it and really enjoyed it. It has simple and responsive controls. IMO it's a buy but don't expect to replay it once you beat it.

Dungeon Defenders First Wave is on sale for $.99. Universal too for us iPad owners.

You can level up your hero character, place turrets (build phase), then duke it out in the combat phase (during the combat phase you can still repair and place more turrets as well as fight with your hero character). There is also multiplayer but I haven't had a chance to try it yet (just bought the game).

So far my biggest complaint is the camera and UI. Buttons are a bit too big and too many of them and the camera can be annoying. Well worth the $.99 though.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/dungeon-defenders-first-wave/id404296113?mt=8

In preparation for the sequel that's being released on the 27th, the original Hysteria Project has been dropped to FREE again (http://itunes.apple.com/app/hysteria-project/id305911637?mt=8).
"In "HYSTERIA PROJECT", YOU are the hero!
Step into the shoes of the main character and take part in an unforgettable adventure! Will you take the right decisions and make it out in one piece?
Hysteria Project is a groundbreaking gaming experience, where you are the hero of an entirely filmed adventure. Go along with the video clips, keep a sharp eye on what's going on around you and most importantly of all - make the right choices at the right time."

The OS emulator iDOS has been re-released in a slightly altered form as a FREE download (http://itunes.apple.com/app/idos/id377135644?mt=8).
"Play original dos games on your iPhone/iPad!
Features:
- PC compatible soft keyboard
- Mouse/Virtual Gamepad&Joystick
- Screen mode: Portrait/Landscape(Fullscreen)
- You can force 4:3 screen aspect ratio
- Customizable floating gamepad for fullscreen mode.
Freewares included in this version: Wolf3d, Duke I/II, Major Striker, SuperNova, Kingdom of Kroz II, which are owned by 3D Realms(Apogee Software, Ltd.)"

[quote name='CONMAN999']Will dungeon defenders work on a 2nd gen Touch?[/QUOTE]
Based on the reviews it doesnt work on anybodys ipod consistently.

[quote name='powersurge']Dungeon Defenders First Wave is on sale for $.99. Universal too for us iPad owners.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I was literally about to buy this yesterday and held off. Thanks for the heads up. Already downloaded.

Edit: Well, I would really like to play this, but it keeps crashing on my iPad. Every time I recover from a crash, it tells me to disable movies and disable Gamecenter. Neither resolved the issue. At least I didn't spend full price, but this is disappointing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dungeon Defenders sounds really cool in the description, but the reviews... ouch. I'm scared to even risk the 99 cents. If anybody here buys it, please post your experiences with it.

[quote name='crunchewy']Dungeon Defenders sounds really cool in the description, but the reviews... ouch. I'm scared to even risk the 99 cents. If anybody here buys it, please post your experiences with it.[/QUOTE]

Seems like most of the issues are due to crashing and not the actual game. They just released a version 2.0 today, I'm going to take the plunge when I get home tonight. Can do worse things with a dollar.

[quote name='j0dy77']Seems like most of the issues are due to crashing and not the actual game. They just released a version 2.0 today, I'm going to take the plunge when I get home tonight. Can do worse things with a dollar.[/QUOTE]

Right, but I think the reviews are of the 2.0 version and lots of people are reporting crashing and that the update fixes nothing, some even reporting that it does (and did) work for them, but now it doesn't have retina graphics. From the reviews the game seems like a complete mess.

[quote name='crunchewy']Grabbed iDOS, though I'm not sure why.[/QUOTE]
iDOS is pretty cool for the nostalgia/novelty factor but, man, it feels pretty cramped on an iPhone. It's better in landscape mode with semi-transparent controls. I think it would be great on the iPad but I'm going to have to wait a while before I get yet another iDevice. I couldn't justify paying .99 for the first version but as a freebie I actually kind of like it.

Quick rant about iTunes. I recently bought a new laptop and wanted to transfer all my apps over to the new computer. No big deal just copy them into the "Automatically Add to iTunes" Folder and let iTunes do the heavy lifting. 1700+ apps transfered into the new iTunes library... But iTunes informs me that 222 items have updates... So you would think the answer is just click on the "Check for updates", followed by "Update All". Well that would have been the answer except for the fact that iTunes continually gives me a network timed out error. Can anyone guess why... Because I have TOO MANY outstanding updates. So now to actually update anything I've had to redo the import process, but a 100 items at a time, followed by the update process.

iTunes was coded by a pair of illiterate monkeys.

The app area of iTunes sucks. Anyone else suffer from the drag bar must go down through the entire list of games before you can do shit problem, or after selecting a bunch of items to delete, iTunes simply crashes. Or my personal favorite, how slow the actual list of applications displays as it try's to display every friggin icon before it starts scrolling.

of course the guy who sits next to me is a mac biggot and claims iTunes is perfect on the Mac. Yeah but 95% of iTunes users are windows users and iTunes sucks on Windows. Steve Jobs goes on about Flash sucking, maybe he should look a little closer home.

And by the way iTunes performs the same way on every single computer I own Xp, Win 7, you name it.

I mean, it's slow sometimes but I don't really see why it get's so much hate. You have to admit though, that's a pretty large load for any program to handle, and is an exception to the rule. 1700 apps? That's quite a few.

[quote name='topplehat']I mean, it's slow sometimes but I don't really see why it get's so much hate. You have to admit though, that's a pretty large load for any program to handle, and is an exception to the rule. 1700 apps? That's quite a few.[/QUOTE]

Seriously 1700 items is to much for a program to handle.

I have a music collection of about 45K items and it runs ok.

This is just piss poor coding / design from a multi billion dollar corporation giving the finger to windows users.

iTunes runs great on my Mac mini. :) :)

I'm glad to hear that appshopper's Mac App Store update is out. We need that even more for MAS then iOS, what with some apps costing $50+!

EDIT: except that they are nowhere to be found on appshopper.com. ???

Just finished the first mission in Star Wars Arcade: Falcon Gunner. What a blast (literally)! I don't understand the criticisms I read about the targeting, though. The guns work just fine; you have to lead objects that are moving. Did the reviewers expect to aim where a ship *used* to be and expect to hit it? Anyway, I have a new-found love for my office chair that tilts and swivels. Lunchtime just got a whole lot less boring around here. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='seanr1221']Long shot, but anyone have any app suggestions to learn Statistics?

I need a refresher in the next few weeks.

I have my eye on Statistics 1.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/statistics-1-for-ipad/id364928221?mt=8[/QUOTE]

To be honest, a book is going to help you learn/relearn statistics more quickly than an app (I recommend Forgotten Statistics or PDQ Statistics). Also, check MIT Open Courseware (or something like that). MIT has started posting videos of entire semesters worth of lectures on various subjects. I watched the calculus one when I needed a refresher for a PhD-level statistics course.

And iTunes can access these through 'iTunes U', so you can put them on your iPod/iPad and watch them there.

[quote name='crunchewy']Right, but I think the reviews are of the 2.0 version and lots of people are reporting crashing and that the update fixes nothing, some even reporting that it does (and did) work for them, but now it doesn't have retina graphics. From the reviews the game seems like a complete mess.[/QUOTE]

Mine hasn't crashed yet (knock on wood) and as for the game itself its worth the $1 even if the UI and camera aren't perfect.

As for the graphics issue there is a graphics slider in the options menu (forgot the name exactly) so that you can decrease the graphic effects for better framerate. Maybe it defaulted to the lowest settings on your device? (I'm on the iPad)

[quote name='topplehat']I mean, it's slow sometimes but I don't really see why it get's so much hate. You have to admit though, that's a pretty large load for any program to handle, and is an exception to the rule. 1700 apps? That's quite a few.[/QUOTE]
lol, it doesn't have to do them all at once, that's what queues are for :p
They are probably doing something dumb, or having to deal with something dumb someone else coded, so artificial limitations get introduced.

[quote name='lilman']lol, it doesn't have to do them all at once, that's what queues are for :p
They are probably doing something dumb, or having to deal with something dumb someone else coded, so artificial limitations get introduced.[/QUOTE]

What I don't get is how this POS gets through QA over and over again. They wasted all their development budget on Ping (what a joke) and forgot about the fastest growing segment of their business the app store.

I forgot to mention my other pet peev, where are the watched folders Apple, seriously why can't I point to my NAS once and have you watch for changes. Both winamp and zune got that right although Zune is another underperforming POS. Winamp rules the roost but unfortunately can't "easily" manage my various apple devices.

[quote name='powersurge']Mine hasn't crashed yet (knock on wood) and as for the game itself its worth the $1 even if the UI and camera aren't perfect.

As for the graphics issue there is a graphics slider in the options menu (forgot the name exactly) so that you can decrease the graphic effects for better framerate. Maybe it defaulted to the lowest settings on your device? (I'm on the iPad)[/QUOTE]

I don't have the game yet - was going on review comments. I have pretty much decided to buy it, but I'll have to wait to play it because the dev (on toucharcade.com forums) has verified that there are problems with running it on 4.1. You can "fix" it by, via jailbreak hack, changing your iPhone to report itself as 4.0, but that seems like a pretty bad idea. Not sure. Anyway, the dev says they are working on a fix. It's probably safe to assume that anyone running 4.1 is jailbroken, so I'm not sure if the problem is the jalibreak, or 4.1. The price, incidentally, goes back up tomorrow. I guess I'll take a chance on it and hope for the best.

On a different note, A complaint I have with the iTunes App Store is why we can't get our purchase history and redownload from there? The good news is that the Mac App Store has this so I have to presume it will come to the iTunes iOS App Store too. Perhaps in the next version? Redarding Windows iTunes troubles, I think it's safe to say that Apple needs to tear iTunes down and start from scratch. It's a pretty old application and they didn't even originate it. They bought it from... I'm forgetting who now. It had a different name, of course. That it has some legacy troubles, especially in the transition to Windows, probably isn't too surprising.

[quote name='BigPoppa99']Not a game but OneNote is free[/QUOTE]

Seems like MS messed up the sign in process and a lot of people are having problems. The App does say Free for a limited time so better get it now and hope they fix it later

[quote name='stoned99']Seriously 1700 items is to much for a program to handle.

I have a music collection of about 45K items and it runs ok.

This is just piss poor coding / design from a multi billion dollar corporation giving the finger to windows users.[/QUOTE]

Apple does a half ass job on iTunes for Windows. I understand they don't like each other but why does the consumer have to pay for that? I am sure they could easily write a program that played nice with Windows and wasn't such a resource hog.

I totally Recommend Road Blaster at 99 cents. It's brutally hard at 1st, but it's so delightfully cheesy and dated, in a good way. It also has the option for tilt-based control which is really awesome.

[quote name='crunchewy']iTunes runs great on my Mac mini. :) :)

I'm glad to hear that appshopper's Mac App Store update is out. We need that even more for MAS then iOS, what with some apps costing $50+!

EDIT: except that they are nowhere to be found on appshopper.com. ???[/QUOTE]

Hmm, a few Mac apps popped up when I was browsing the app earlier, might have been an accident. Appshopper is in the process of integrating the Mac app store too though. Sorry for jumping the gun!

[quote name='eliter1']I bought it and really enjoyed it. It has simple and responsive controls. IMO it's a buy but don't expect to replay it once you beat it.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, downloading Predators now.
[quote name='mrsamsa']I totally Recommend Road Blaster at 99 cents. It's brutally hard at 1st, but it's so delightfully cheesy and dated, in a good way. It also has the option for tilt-based control which is really awesome.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, I probably wouldn't ever of known about the tilt control, it works good.

[quote name='seanr1221']Long shot, but anyone have any app suggestions to learn Statistics?

I need a refresher in the next few weeks.

I have my eye on Statistics 1.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/statistics-1-for-ipad/id364928221?mt=8[/QUOTE]

Hey, it's not an app, but you should check out Kahnacademy.org. Kahn is a free collection of YouTube videos that cover mainly math and science subjects. Videos are roughly 10-15 minutes a pop, but seem very helpful and there is even a section devoted to stats. Good luck!

[quote name='Swift900']Hey, it's not an app, but you should check out Kahnacademy.org. Kahn is a free collection of YouTube videos that cover mainly math and science subjects. Videos are roughly 10-15 minutes a pop, but seem very helpful and there is even a section devoted to stats. Good luck![/QUOTE]

I'm probably wrong, but Daytum is pretty awesome. Maybe I just like the design

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/daytum/id352646537?mt=8

[quote name='eliter1']I check this thread everyday in hopes that Infinity Blade will finally drop to .99 and I am disappointed yet again...[/QUOTE]

I will admit...I was getting twitchy for that game to drop too, but after breaking at the $5.99 price, I find the game to be WELL worth it. Sure it's repetitive a bit, but the graphics are stellar for a handheld, and the combat is simple, yet satisfying.

A game like Canabalt that I paid $3 for, I felt cheated on, even though I found it fun....

HTML:
[quote name='BluePotato']To be honest, a book is going to help you learn/relearn statistics more quickly than an app (I recommend Forgotten Statistics or PDQ Statistics). Also, check MIT Open Courseware (or something like that). MIT has started posting videos of entire semesters worth of lectures on various subjects. I watched the calculus one when I needed a refresher for a PhD-level statistics course.

And iTunes can access these through 'iTunes U', so you can put them on your iPod/iPad and watch them there.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Swift900']Hey, it's not an app, but you should check out Kahnacademy.org. Kahn is a free collection of YouTube videos that cover mainly math and science subjects. Videos are roughly 10-15 minutes a pop, but seem very helpful and there is even a section devoted to stats. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back