iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Are there any good strategy games for the iPad? I know there's Civ Rev, but...[/QUOTE]

Look in to small world, it is a board game but it has a lot of depth and is really fun.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Oh god, Infinity Blade is consuming my life again. After the latest update pack, I completed 7 more bloodlines to max out all weapons and have now started a New Game+. Right now I'm 4 bloodlines in and there's no end in sight. Best $6 I've ever spent on any game.

Also, anxiously awaiting World of Goo (iPhone).[/QUOTE]
Yep same here...your World of Goo comment made me look it up yet again, and I dunno how I missed that they finally announced an iPhone release for "sometime in march". Can't wait but yeah IB has taken me over...think I'm right at 70 atm about 8 bloodlines into my first new game+.

Looking forward to Rainbow Six coming on March 17th but will probably wait for a sale on that one.

[quote name='etcrane']Just to chime in on Minigore ... I found Age of Zombies to be about a thousand times more entertaining. The writing is childish but witty and it was just way more fun. I realize that Minigore is free on iPhone/touch but anyone considering the HD version for .99 should check out Age of Zombies, which is a Universal App and much much more fun imo.[/QUOTE]

I agree, is Minigore survivor mode only? If so that's boring, I just got it yesterday and so far Age of Zombies is way better. I think the only reason it was on my wishlist is because people here said it was like AoZ. If AoZ is a buck, get it over getting minigore.

[quote name='tenchim86']I think Folder Enhancer is a better option over categories if you're running 4.0 or higher. Also, I believe lockdown allows the user to place passwords on apps. Both apps are only available if you jailbreak.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean the jailbreak app "categories", I mean to make iOS 4 folders that are categories. Named "Platform", "RPG", etc. Sorry for the confusion.

[quote name='super_dawn']man oh man...so I gotta say how exhausted I am right now. I decided to finally try out some Slingo Supreme (that I dwnlded a couple weeks back when u guys were raving about it) right before bed last night... 2 hours later I finally pass out! Wow ridiculously addicting...[/QUOTE]

It is addicting... in the same way a slot machine can be... because of course it *is* a slot machine. In other words I don't think it's really a good game (though it is well made), it is simply addicting. I'm not sure that's good, but I have played it a lot too :)

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Are there any good strategy games for the iPad? I know there's Civ Rev, but...[/QUOTE]

Catan
Risk
Uni-War
Crystal Wars
Neuroshima Hex
Stratego
Battle for Wesnoth
Palm Heroes
Tandria

and if you like Strategy RPGs, Song Summoner and Rebirth of Fortune.

[quote name='Darknuke']Catan
Risk
Uni-War
Crystal Wars
Neuroshima Hex
Stratego
Battle for Wesnoth
Palm Heroes
Tandria

and if you like Strategy RPGs, Song Summoner and Rebirth of Fortune.[/QUOTE]

I found Battle for Wesnoth's UI just really difficult to use. YMMV.

There's also Mecho Wars, which is an Advance Wars look-alike. I've heard that it's too easy, but it's a better looking game.

Both of these (and, I think, Uni-War) have gone free in the past.

[quote name='artego']So there's no other standalone non-streaming video player for non-jailbroken devices?

A pity VLC had to be taken down.[/QUOTE]

The only other standalone player I've found to be any good is OPlayer. Unfortunately it's interface is atrocious, but it's playback is quite a bit faster than VLC. I would link to it but I'm on my phone and the paste functionality isn't working in the reply box for some reason...

[quote name='o0achilles0o']The only other standalone player I've found to be any good is OPlayer. Unfortunately it's interface is atrocious, but it's playback is quite a bit faster than VLC. I would link to it but I'm on my phone and the paste functionality isn't working in the reply box for some reason...[/QUOTE]

I've never used it, but here's all the versions on appshopper:

http://appshopper.com/search/?search=OPlayer

There are lite versions for the iPhone and iPad versions.

[quote name='cycophuk']For what just out of curiosity?[/QUOTE]

I think the mods just got fed up with all his shit talking in the forums. He had been silenced numerous times before. I think there was some huge flame-fest that went on in a post he made and that was the last straw for the mods. I don't really know this for a fact, so don't completely take my word for it. It's just bits and pieces I've picked up from various other posters talking about it.

[quote name='Splines']I found Battle for Wesnoth's UI just really difficult to use. YMMV.

There's also Mecho Wars, which is an Advance Wars look-alike. I've heard that it's too easy, but it's a better looking game.

Both of these (and, I think, Uni-War) have gone free in the past.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Uni-War has gone free. I forgot about Mecho Wars. I actually think that is better than Uni-Wars.

Battle for Wesnoth is definitely tough to maneuver around, but it's a solid strategy game. If you're playing strategy games to begin with, I'm sure a difficult UI is tolerable lol.

My absolute favorites from that list are Song Summoner and Catan though. SRPGs are my favorite genre and Catan is just an amazing board game.

I picked up Infinity Blade for $3 about a week ago now and man am I unimpressed. The graphics are beautiful but there just isn't anything even remotely interesting going on there.

I know taking a stance against one of the biggest games to come out just seems like the hipster "I hate Dane Cook and other popular things" thing to do but I'm bummed for anyone that paid $6 for that (and also feels like I do).

Another great strategy game is "Military Madness: Neo Nectaris". Plays great on the iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ZForce915']I picked up Infinity Blade for $3 about a week ago now and man am I unimpressed. The graphics are beautiful but there just isn't anything even remotely interesting going on there.

I know taking a stance against one of the biggest games to come out just seems like the hipster "I hate Dane Cook and other popular things" thing to do but I'm bummed for anyone that paid $6 for that (and also feels like I do).[/QUOTE]

i hear ya! heard so much good things about the game. definitely a looker, but didn't hold my attention for too long. i think i would have better spent the 3 bucks on 3 good games then just one so so game. oh well.

Infinity Blade Counter point: I LOVE it. It's really fun when you take the time to learn dodging, parrying and blocking, but I can see how one would lose interest playing it at its most basic level.

ALSO: was it mentioned that Naval Patrol is free? IGN named it strategy game of the year for 2009
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/navy-patrol-coastal-defense/id354078812?mt=8

Apparently it seems like a generic TD game, but really opens up after the 1st mission.

[quote name='spsummers']Another great strategy game is "Military Madness: Neo Nectaris". Plays great on the iPhone.[/QUOTE]

For some reason I've always hated the Military Madness games. Maybe it's because you can't build anything. I hated having a set army. Maybe I just didn't play long enough to get to that part, I dunno lol.

I like Advanced Wars and its clones better. There was a lot more depth imo.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I cant believe they charge tax for itunes purchases.....[/QUOTE]
A sale is a sale. No reason why they shouldn't.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I cant believe they charge tax for itunes purchases.....[/QUOTE]
Depends on the state in which your billing address is located. Some states don't charge sales tax at all, like Oregon. Others don't charge on digital distribution because it's considered a service, like California.

Apple only collects the tax based on whatever the state mandates.

[quote name='ZForce915']I picked up Infinity Blade for $3 about a week ago now and man am I unimpressed. The graphics are beautiful but there just isn't anything even remotely interesting going on there.

I know taking a stance against one of the biggest games to come out just seems like the hipster "I hate Dane Cook and other popular things" thing to do but I'm bummed for anyone that paid $6 for that (and also feels like I do).[/QUOTE]

It really is kind of overrated for a watered down punch-out with grinding thrown on top, but I find it quite fun.

EDIT: +1 for Double Dragon, but only if you're a giant beat-em-up fetishist like myself. It has all the good stuff and problems one could expect of a Double Dragon game

[quote name='jacknicklson']Its a shiny, more in depth version of punch out, definitely not for everyone[/QUOTE]

Well, I liked Punch Out a lot, but I was also underwhelmed with Infinity Blade as I posted a short while back. It has absolutely none of the charm and little of the fun of Punch Out (original and Wii). Obviously IMHO. I'll give it another try at some point to see if I missed something, but I'm not sure when that will be.

There are completely legitimate reasons to hate Dane Cook. :)

[quote name='o0achilles0o']The only other standalone player I've found to be any good is OPlayer. Unfortunately it's interface is atrocious, but it's playback is quite a bit faster than VLC. I would link to it but I'm on my phone and the paste functionality isn't working in the reply box for some reason...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the Oplayer suggestion. Works like a charm!

New FAAD titles include:

Bubble Bust!

"Bubble Bust! is an amazing bubble-shooter game with a new and addictive twist!
The game is easy to play - clear the marbles and bust the hidden key bubble - yet amazingly fun and challenging!"

Angry Family

"Are you a fan of arcade style fun action game?
Then this is the right game for you.
A very intriguing fun and action packed game with exciting stages and simulating scenarios.
Angry family is a single player game where you get to survive through several levels by collecting bonus points and destroying evil demons."

VideoPuzzle!

"Turn the world around you into a fun and exciting interactive puzzle with VideoPuzzle! Download this revolutionary new game to experience the next level in sliding puzzle gaming. Each block is made from moving video, piece them together and see what the video is!"

Dalton – The Awesome
is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day.
"Do you love run n' jump games or do you hate them? Whatever the case, Dalton - The Awesome is made for you! Be sure that you think twice before clicking buy this game cuz it's insanely addictive!!!
Play as Dalton on his journey to kill all of the zombies standing in his way as he achieves TRUE AWESOMENESS!"

[quote name='CAG 79']Thanks for the Oplayer suggestion. Works like a charm![/QUOTE]

So good that there's a lite version to try the application first... used a MKV file with subtitles and (1) the subtitles didn't show up (2) the video lagged bad (well, compared to VLC it's better because VLC just froze). And it wasn't HD.

I wonder when is someone going to make a good video app to play all sorts of videos like in a normal computer :(

It'd be cool if the XBMC team would make that app for the AppStore. I'd pay and support them, I already donate but still would pay for a full version as well. Dudes deserve to get paid. I use the version they put on Cydia and it's pretty damn nice on the iPad. The iPhone/iPod Touch version, same one but the touch controls are a little buggier. Works quite well, I know it'll never show up in the AppStore but it would be cool to see.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Dalton – The Awesome is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day.
"Do you love run n' jump games or do you hate them? Whatever the case, Dalton - The Awesome is made for you! Be sure that you think twice before clicking buy this game cuz it's insanely addictive!!!
Play as Dalton on his journey to kill all of the zombies standing in his way as he achieves TRUE AWESOMENESS!"[/QUOTE]

Holy crap! My name is Dalton and that one was an INSTANT CLICK!

It was.... made..... for..... me!

[quote name='o0achilles0o']I would link to it but I'm on my phone and the paste functionality isn't working in the reply box for some reason...[/QUOTE]

Click the BBCode button and then URL, enter the name for the URL in the first box and paste the URL in the second.

Oplayer

Just so you guys know the Dungeon Hunter 2 facebook promotion thing made it down to $0.99, so it'll be on sale on the 12th.

Downloading Don't Drop 2 for my near future iPad. Thanks for the heads up on that freebie.

[quote name='jason506']Just so you guys know the Dungeon Hunter 2 facebook promotion thing made it down to $0.99, so it'll be on sale on the 12th.[/QUOTE]

Woohoo! The question is, will that include the HD version? I'm guessing not, but I hope it does.

Infinity Blade gets the axe in order to download the Lite version of DH2. So long IB, I hardly knew ye....

[quote name='jason506']Just so you guys know the Dungeon Hunter 2 facebook promotion thing made it down to $0.99, so it'll be on sale on the 12th.[/QUOTE]

They should just drop it now!! :roll:

Awesome. Can't wait. Good job everyone.

EDIT: I just went on Facebook and it says $1.99 right now with a little more to go to $.99. Did they announce it was at the $.99 mark? I think it will make it either way. We still have a few days.

Other forums that I visit also reported that they saw $0.99, so it shouldn't be an error that someone saw the wrong thing and reported.

First they took down Facebook for a bit, so people couldn't vote. Then they aren't posting the daily tweets to be able to vote (as they said they would). Now it would seem that they rolled back the counter?

[quote name='jacknicklson']Says $2[/QUOTE]
This is actually the second time I've noticed it going back up. It went back up once when it was price at 4.99. This facebook vote thing must not work that well. Their lucky I still really want the game because with them screwing around with this makes me not even want to buy it at .99.

In for Shrek Kart HD, maybe iron man2 and the settlers HD, thanks. I have a feeling a lot of iPad games are going to go on sale for this weekend (iPad2 release).

[quote name='hollowfreak']Click the BBCode button and then URL, enter the name for the URL in the first box and paste the URL in the second.

Oplayer[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reminder! I had done that in the past and just completely forgot about it.

[quote name='MSI Magus']These are not working yet for me. Spider man does not show up at the right price and the others when you try and buy them have a message that says something like "can not be completed because this item is being modified"[/QUOTE]

I checked them all via web and they were showing up @ $0.99. If that error showed up it means that the price change is under way, just have to wait a couple of minutes (maybe an hour tops).

in for Iron Man 2 and Settlers. I don't even own an iPad lol. I plan on getting one eventually (for development purposes), so I figured it was a safe buy =).

Yeah I'm hoping for a sales blowout starting friday for ipad. Maybe some of the larger titles that don't drop on a monthly basis like PvZ or even Dead Space finally. Everyone will want to be in that top 10 apps for all the new ipad owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back