iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

I'll second Dimms' rating of 'highly decent' on charmed. It's one of the rare freebies I've played with any regularity. If you like match three games it's worth a free download.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']The Scene It! games are 99c through midnight tonight.

@dallow - I was like that for a while on my iPad (iPhone AB on it) I ended up downloading the "HD" versions and havent gone back. I'd say it's worth it but the price can be hard to swallow for some.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the viewpoint.
Price wasn't really the issue, just having the exact same game and redoing all the levels/scores seemed like a drag.

I went ahead and got Seasons in HD, definitely worth it. Thanks again.

i honestly don't care about what Nintendo thinks...but the Pokemon series really needs to come to the iTouh/iPhone series. With Retina and the control scheme...it's the perfect layout for the classic games

not to mention it would rake in damn good money.

[quote name='jcp42877']i honestly don't care about what Nintendo thinks...but the Pokemon series really needs to come to the iTouh/iPhone series. With Retina and the control scheme...it's the perfect layout for the classic games

not to mention it would rake in damn good money.[/QUOTE]

There is a better chance of the Pope posting in this thread.

MAYBE when apple first started...and that's a huge maybe. But now Nintendo sees Apple as an enemy.

So am I doing something wrong or do you have to be connected to wifi to play Angry Birds Seasons? If so, I won't be playing that anytime soon. I can still get to my Halloween levels, but it tries to connect and errors out when I select an Xmas level.

After trying Lilt Line and Leaf Bound, I thought those were both pretty good. Just simple fun and being free, totally worth it. At a price? Mmmm, maybe not, but I would recommend those to anyone I knew at free. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']So am I doing something wrong or do you have to be connected to wifi to play Angry Birds Seasons? If so, I won't be playing that anytime soon. I can still get to my Halloween levels, but it tries to connect and errors out when I select an Xmas level.

After trying Lilt Line and Leaf Bound, I thought those were both pretty good. Just simple fun and being free, totally worth it. At a price? Mmmm, maybe not, but I would recommend those to anyone I knew at free. Thanks for the suggestions guys.[/QUOTE]

Christmas seems to have 25 levels and one unlocks each day until Christmas so it probably checks online to see what it can unlock.

[quote name='seanr1221']What are the differences between Samurai II and the dojo version?[/QUOTE]
Dojo=lite. Samurai II is the full game. The full game is a sort of blood 'n guts adventure quest with RPG elements like upgrading your health and buying new attack combos. At least that's what I'm assuming the full game is like; I've only played through the original Samurai: Way of the Warrior. I can't imagine the sequel being too terribly different, though.

Yeah but you can remove the ads from dojo for .99
I think dojo is a "kill all enemies game" and the regular is the full adventure. Dojo even has it's own achievements.

Damian Filigree: the Book of Thoth is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/damian-filigree-book-thoth/id397757153?mt=8).
"Damian Filigree is an exciting puzzle adventure game for the iPhone/iPod. Combine hieroglyphs with the same symbol by swapping the right stones. Gather items and powerups to avoid traps, and escape the mummy before it catches you!
You are Damian Filigree, a grave robber and fortune seeker on an expedition to steal the legendary Book of Thoth.
Archeologists recently uncovered the burial ground of the Egyptian deity Thoth in the City of the Dead. The Book of Thoth, a priceless tome that is said to grant its reader arcane powers, rests deep in the chambers of the newly discovered pyramid.
Explore the vast corridors leading up to the master chamber. Your journey is long and dangerous, filled with traps. Can you obtain this legendary artifact? Play the adventures of Damian Filigree in his perilous quest for the Book of Thoth."

The Package
has dropped to FREE for the first time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/the-package/id366274395?mt=8).
"The Package is a fun and entertaining physics puzzle game with amazing 3D graphics.
You influence the character (a package) by placing out springs, ramps fans, etc. You have a timer and can experiment as much as you want until you get the package through the maze-like room, past hazards, and into the green zone. You also get bonuses if you manage to pick up golden packages along the way.
The Package has 20 beautiful levels with increasing difficulty."

Moonsters is today's FREE Appventcalendar game (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/moonsters/id391769732?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4).
"The Moonsters are coming to your iPhone. They’re cute, they’re hungry and they are stuck on this strange planet... Gather your friends, catch all the tofu and find your spaceship. A long way awaits you, and it’s full of beautiful vistas, moving platforms, shiny bubbles, bouncing mushrooms, floating islands and more!"

Great App a Day is featuring Dogs Playing Poker right now (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dogs-playing-poker/id335614388?mt=8).
"Enjoy stunning graphics and hilarious blue collar poker action against 18 dogs, a fox, and a walrus! Put on your poker face and step into beautifully detailed rounds that include the Junkyard, Pound, Train Car, Den, and the dogs' favorite Chinese restaurant: Chang's Kitchen!"

Doodle Jump have achievements now.

I wish there was an easy way to see if your games in iTunes had game center support. I'm sure there's some in my huge collection that have it and I'm not aware.

Discounted iTunes cards available right now:

Target is selling a $60 pack (four $15 cards) for 20% off ($48). This doesn't seem to be available online so you may want to drop by your local brick 'n mortar soon if this interests you.

Best Buy is offering $10 off when you purchase any two multi-card packages. The cheapest multi-card option they show online is a $30 pack. Therefore, you'd pay slightly more than the Target deal ($50 for $60 worth of iTunes credit) but you can order this one online (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat226600050008) if that's more convenient or you don't live near a Target.

That Target deal could be even better if you've got a Target visa. Anyone know if these cards are eligible for the 5% discount with your Target card? If so, that'd be $60 worth of iTunes money for $45.60. That's almost 25% off. The best part is that it is in 4 cards so you don't have to use it all yourself. I'm in.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I play the Blokus Iphone version and it is quite good for a board game, despite being WAY too friggen big file-size-wise[/QUOTE]

A few people I know have the game and they like it too, if the iPod version was on sale I might have tried it.

GET IT NOW!!! Brain Analyzer (http://appshopper.com/entertainment/brain-analyzer)

What started at the low, low price of $449.99 and dropped as ridiculously cheap as $209.99 is now FREE! OMGzzz

"The apps is testing now.
This app will free soon.
Don't buy it.
If you want to support us, you can buy it but we will not refund any money.

Thank you for your support.

Phone can analytic your brain now!
Is it amazing?
Try it!! It is free!!!

This app is just for fun.
Have a nice day."

With writing skills like that... you know this brain analyzer is legit!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

[quote name='Kush']GET IT NOW!!! Brain Analyzer (http://appshopper.com/entertainment/brain-analyzer)

What started at the low, low price of $449.99 and dropped as ridiculously cheap as $209.99 is now FREE! OMGzzz

"The apps is testing now.
This app will free soon.
Don't buy it.
If you want to support us, you can buy it but we will not refund any money.

Thank you for your support.

Phone can analytic your brain now!
Is it amazing?
Try it!! It is free!!!

This app is just for fun.
Have a nice day."

With writing skills like that... you know this brain analyzer is legit!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.[/QUOTE]

Everytime I try to download this I get the following message:

Your request could not be completed.
The item you requested is not currently in the US store.
WTF.

[quote name='cheapgamerone']Everytime I try to download this I get the following message:

Your request could not be completed.
The item you requested is not currently in the US store.
WTF.[/QUOTE]

Man, you really do need the Brain Analyizer ;) j/k....

Thanks for the laugh, to funny....

I don't even see it on the app store now lol, I wanted to see if anyone had bought and rated it when it costed a fortune.

The Appvent Calendar freebie for today is FMX Riders (http://itunes.apple.com/app/fmx-riders/id391485904?mt=8).

"FMX Riders is an Arcade Freestyle Motocross Racer loaded with features, the most important being it's FUN!

Whether it's going through the World Circuit Career mode, challenging your friends with your best Replays/Ghosts, fighting your way to the top of the 15+ Leaderboards or upping your rank in the Online Multiplayer, FMX Riders is here to deliver!"

Price drop checks aren't enough, someone should filter through the new games as well. For those that missed the old Jedi Knight pc games, Star Wars : Imperial Academy is new and still free (who knows how much longer). I've been playing this since Saturday when it came out, good stuff though it's a hefty size (200meg).

http://itunes.apple.com/app/star-wars-imperial-academy/id392306231?mt=8

Another hefty size game but great shmup dropped to free. Assault Squadron

http://itunes.apple.com/app/assault-squadron/id358508158?mt=8

Thanks for the heads up on those games jjz203! Downloading both now. I think the star wars one must be one of those annoying "freemium" titles, but I'll give it a shot.

Wow! Crystal Wars is really good. Definitely a game I would've paid for if I didn't get it for free. I haven't been addicted to a game like this since PvZ.

Hoping for a sequel!

Thanks jjz. Downloading them both now!

[quote name='Cimpy101']Wow! Crystal Wars is really good. Definitely a game I would've paid for if I didn't get it for free. [/QUOTE]

Love the game, my only complaint is that I can't listen to my music, all I can do is mute the sound :( other than that it really is alot of fun.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried any of the "universal remote" type programs? I'd love to get one if I knew it'd work well enough to forgo the purchase of a logitech device.

I imagine some of the "remote" devices don't work very well. Considering there is zero infrared or RF capabilities on our "i" devices the only luck you'll have with them is using it as a bluetooth remote.

Conclusion - Save up and get the Harmony. But those are my thoughts and I've not used any of the remote apps.

[quote name='nasum']Out of curiosity, has anyone tried any of the "universal remote" type programs? I'd love to get one if I knew it'd work well enough to forgo the purchase of a logitech device.[/QUOTE]

Like others have mentioned, you would need a dongle to control your devices. The apps are mainly for controlling HTPCs that are hooked up through your home network through WiFi.

[quote name='nasum']they usually have dongles that attach to the headphone jack or the dock on the bottom[/QUOTE]

Which seems like something that would be easy to misplace, rendering it useless.

Haven't tried Crystal Wars yet, though did download it. One I'm enjoying that was recently free (now 99 cents) is "Time Geeks: Find All!". Great artwork and a fun find the hidden item game. Definitely was worth picking up when it was free, and probably worth picking up for 99 cents. It's hard to judge since I didn't have to pay for it. :) Anyway, there is a Lite version.

I did try Assault Squadron. It's OK, but I'm not crazy about it. I think I'm jaded by the great Cave shooters. Still, it's free right now, so download it and check it out.

I also tried the Star Wars Adademy game... I think that's shortly going to get deleted. Pretty generic and not really that fun FPS. I didn't try it online, though, so I'll have to try that before passing final judgement.

[quote name='nasum']Out of curiosity, has anyone tried any of the "universal remote" type programs? I'd love to get one if I knew it'd work well enough to forgo the purchase of a logitech device.[/QUOTE]

I can't speak to the "universal" remote programs, but if you have a recent Samsung TV with internet connectivity, the Samsung TV Remote app is pretty good. It works through wi-fi, so you have to have your phone and your TV connected to the same LAN. While most of it is a duplication of the actual TV remote, it does add a few nice features like a full keyboard for use with the Samsung apps like Netflix and Youtube. The only thing it can't do (a little annoying, but understandable, I guess) is turn the TV on.

I actually reviewed one last month, and found it to be a pretty decent little device. It was the L5 Remote, and here's a link if you want the full story - http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2010/11/l5-remote/

[quote name='seanr1221']Crystal wars shows .99 for me.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, The sale ended yesterday. I downloaded it on Saturday and didn't try it until last night. Sorry I didn't mention that.

The Infinity Project has dropped down to free. I've heard this game is pretty decent, and has pretty much been changed completely in the newer updates.
http://itunes.apple.com/app/the-infinity-project/id344783567?mt=8

This Adventure / Action FPS, is a different kind of FPS for the iPhone. This exploration / adventure game with a FPS look & feel has tons of content with hours & hours of play time. Immerse yourself in The Infinity Project.

The year is 2248, Earth is at war with the Talon’s, an extremely aggressive and unknown race that attacked Earth without provocation. As Commander Ethan Avery, you’re sent to Infinity Station, a research and development facility located in deep space currently developing controversial technologies. Earth has lost contact with the Top Secret station and sends you to investigate. Explore the station to find keys that unlock the next area of the station. Unlock the mystery behind The Infinity Project.

Once you are on-board, strange things start to happen, and you realize, this is no normal space station and this is no normal rescue mission. You are about to start an adventure you will never forget.

With stunning 3D graphics and sound, The Infinity Project features a wide-open world to explore. Enter every room you can, you never know what you may find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back