iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Gave Silverfish a few quick plays after lunch. Cool game. Reminds me a bit of Tilt to Live except you touch or flick to move your critter. Definitely has that "just one more time" potential. Lotsa polish, good 'sploisions. Definitely an easy recommendation for a buck.[/QUOTE]

One of the problems I have with Tilt to Live, and one of the reasons I don't play it that much, is because it's tilt controlled. The tilt controls work great and the game is great, mind you, but they don't work well at all when I'm laying in bed which seemed often to be when I wanted to play it! That's part of why I played Bit Pilot so much more back then. :) So, this might be my cup of tea, being touch controlled.

Regarding 100 Rogues... 100 Rogues is good, but it really is a buggy app and I really have my doubts that the devs will ever get it right. I think it's still worth playing, and certainly for free, but every new version seems to fix some bugs but add brand new ones. They've got some development issues.

[quote name='cgarb84']According to Joystiq UNO for iPhone and iPad is going to be on sale for $0.99 tomorrow. Must buy for me at that price.[/QUOTE]

I already see UNO for $.99

[quote name='cgarb84']According to Joystiq UNO for iPhone and iPad is going to be on sale for $0.99 tomorrow. Must buy for me at that price.[/QUOTE]

UNO has been at 99c for over a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Azuvidexus']UNO has been at 99c for over a week.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but UNO HD has been 4.99 since November, it makes sense it will be $.99 tomorrow it's Uno's 40th birthday tomorrow.

[quote name='mrsamsa']I think this was already posted, but Space Miner: Space Ore Bust is on sale for 2.99$ from 4.99$.

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/space-miner-space-ore-bust/id353853276?mt=8

I picked it up today and it's really fun. Asteroids meets the RPG parts of Puzzle Quest. It's got Retina support and looks amazing.[/QUOTE]

Great game, I highly recommend it, but the price jumps around all the time. It hasn't been $4.99 since December 20, when it dropped to $.99 for a day, then up to $1.99 until January 3, when they raised the price to the current $2.99. It is totally worth $2.99, but I don't expect too many CAGs to pay that price.

[quote name='mrsamsa']I think this was already posted, but Space Miner: Space Ore Bust is on sale for 2.99$ from 4.99$.

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/space-miner-space-ore-bust/id353853276?mt=8

I picked it up today and it's really fun. Asteroids meets the RPG parts of Puzzle Quest. It's got Retina support and looks amazing.[/QUOTE]

While this is certainly a great game, $2.99 is actually the highest it's been in the last month or so. It spent some time at 99c and some at $1.99 since just before Christmas. There's also an HD version that's at $4.99 now and a version called Space Miner Blast that's free, and is more of just the shooting parts without the ship upgrading. There's a few IAP''s for new ships, which also adds retina support.

Also, I heartily recommend Silverfish. I played it a bunch this afternoon, and it's an enjoyable game.

Red Bull BC One is free again. I initially scoffed at it, last time it was free, because I didn't think a Red Bull dancing game could be any good.

But it's decent. AppSpy's review is positive, and the only thing I would add is that the dances sometimes repeat a bit more than I would prefer, but it's still fun. I don't regret the 209 MB download, which is saying something.

[quote name='Stimes']Yeah but UNO HD has been 4.99 since November, it makes sense it will be $.99 tomorrow it's Uno's 40th birthday tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

My bad for not mentioning it's UNO HD, so many different variations to keep track of at this point.

[quote name='crunchewy']One of the problems I have with Tilt to Live, and one of the reasons I don't play it that much, is because it's tilt controlled. The tilt controls work great and the game is great, mind you, but they don't work well at all when I'm laying in bed which seemed often to be when I wanted to play it! That's part of why I played Bit Pilot so much more back then. :) So, this might be my cup of tea, being touch controlled.
[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem with Tilt to Live and other games. I have been playing a lot of NFS HP lately and the controls are great but I can't use them when I am in bed, on the bus/plane or when I am in class...

[quote name='kingtopher']Everyone can go ahead and thank me, because I stumbled across a review of this game yesterday after having never heard of it and purchased it. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for taking that one for the team. ;)

[quote name='cgarb84']My bad for not mentioning it's UNO HD, so many different variations to keep track of at this point.[/QUOTE]

It's .99 now for UNO HD.

In regards to the Target sale on the holiday 4x$15 itunes cards, does anyone think they'll go lower than $50 or just disappear from shelves at the end of this week?

[quote name='etcrane']In regards to the Target sale on the holiday 4x$15 itunes cards, does anyone think they'll go lower than $50 or just disappear from shelves at the end of this week?[/QUOTE]
I would think they would just remove whatever hasn't sold by the end of the week. It's not like Halloween candy that has an expiration date. I'd be very surprised if they slashed prices further. I would think they would treat it like they do other seasonal merchandise and just rotate it out.

Mortal Skies is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/mortal-skies-modern-war-air/id351881281?mt=8).

"1944, You are one of the last pilots to stop an invading hostile superpower. Will you succeed to destroy them and turn the tide of World War 2 ?

Mortal Skies is a Classic Shoot Em Up arcade action game with action packed gameplay and awesome graphics. Discover this fast paced shoot em up action game with hours, even days of fun. Collecting all achievements will keep you challenged to unlock extra planes and a bonus level.

Features:
- 7 big levels across varied environments like Canyons, Snow and more.
- Huge diverse endbosses including Bombers, Choppers and even a one on one dogfight endboss.
- 10 Weapon upgrades/powerups, including Minigun, MegaBomb, Wingman, CarpetBomb and Reflective Shield (reflects hostile bullits and absorbs rockets) and more.
- Awesome Achievement missions: Earn Bronze, Silver and Gold cups for each of the 9 different achievement missions. Different achievements require different gameplay tactics, so you will be challenged to keep playing. Unlock extra planes and an extra bonus level in which you will be given some really awesome firepower.
- Global worldwide HighScore functionality. Submit your highscore and compete with other players worldwide to be the best Mortal Skies top ace pilot in the world.
- Difficulty settings can be adjusted using a slider bar (100 different difficulty levels !). Increasing the difficulty will also increase the maximum available highscore. So you will always be challenged to set that score.
- Control your plane by using Touch controls or Accelerometer."

100 Rogues is a pretty dang fun game. I got a while back and really enjoy it playing every while and then. The only problem it has is a choppy framerate. Other than that, is definitely worth a download.

[quote name='Dimsdale']I would think they would just remove whatever hasn't sold by the end of the week. It's not like Halloween candy that has an expiration date. I'd be very surprised if they slashed prices further. I would think they would treat it like they do other seasonal merchandise and just rotate it out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing, not to mention I'm pretty sure they have to let Apple know if they run some crazy deal on points (dropping to 50% off or something) since Target is a nationwide chain and I doubt Apple would let that happen. Now I just need to figure out if I really need $60 worth of iTunes credit (damn, I do want to buy a bunch of ipad apps once the new ipad is announced ... feeling weakness returning ... probably going to pick one up)

[quote name='Stimes']Do they charge sales tax for iTunes gift cards?[/QUOTE]
As far as I know, no state charges sales tax for gift cards. But, depending on where you live, you may pay sales tax on iTunes purchases... which I assume you already know.

I loved playing UNO with my family as a kid. Thanks for posting the UNO sale info. Got it for .99 cents and it is great!

I've only had a little time to try it, but Silverfish seems pretty fun so far. I'm not (yet?) crazy for it. It's somewhat like Tilt to Live, but different enough to warrant having both. The touch controls are a little odd in that you can only move up/down/left/right, not at any angle you want, but you can play it while laying in bed, so that's a plus for sure. :) I'll call it a tentative recommendation at 99 cents until further time to play it. There's 4 different play modes with different rules, and that helps.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Apple is too cocky to not announce it themselves My two cents[/QUOTE]
From everything I have read, Jobs is there to announce it but who knows. Rumor is that they will begin selling by the end of the month. I am sure it will be a big letdown, but at least its actually coming at some point for sure...hopefully lol.

[quote name='zeb06']Verizon supposedly going to announce they will carry the iPhone today...fingers crossed for me lol. Hopefully they didn't change any features or anything and I can upgrade without any issues but never can tell with Verizon.

Supposed to be at 11am eastern. Here is a link if anyone wants to to get live info from the conference: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/11/live-from-verizons-iphone-event/[/QUOTE]

I'm either going to have to take an early termination fee, or wait another 1.5 years or some such to switch. I'm not that unhappy with AT&T actually, except that the coverage at work is so much better from Verizon. Rather, it's non-existent with AT&T. I probably should have waited on the iPhone 4, but I didn't know for sure that Verizon was going to carry it and, well, I couldn't wait. :) Plus I should probably wait for the inevitable hiccups to work themselves out anyway.

[quote name='ZForce']No, but the iTunes store takes tax out of whatever you buy there.[/QUOTE]

It shows 0.00 for tax on my iTunes store receipts, will the tax show on my bank statement?

[quote name='Stimes']It shows 0.00 for tax on my iTunes store receipts, will the tax show on my bank statement?[/QUOTE]
I believe its like most online stuff...some only charge tax based on where you live (ie Amazon, PSN, etc). No iTunes tax here for me in GA, but it used to charge me tax in Alabama years ago. That being said...most things like PSN you can simply change your address to a state that doesn't get charged tax to avoid em if you must. No taxes here for me though so I have never had to try that. If it says 0.00 then you don't have to pay any taxes.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Apple is too cocky to not announce it themselves My two cents[/QUOTE]

This is a big deal to Verizon, not Apple. The iPone is on many different carriers around the world and Apple has never many an announcement when a new carrier gets the iPhone. To Apple this is just another partnership with a carrier. If anyone is being cocky it's Verizon. That said i'm happy Verizon is getting the iPhone. It'll give people a choice. I hope T-Mobile and Sprint get it too. More choices benefits consumers.

"Okay, it looks like you're expecting a big announcement. I don't think we'll disappoint. If the press write something long enough, eventually it comes true. We're very very excited about our announcement today."

Come on lol.

"Today we're partnering with a giant of the industry, and that's Apple." Boom.
11:08AM There you go people. Verizon iPhone 4. It exists.
11:07AM "Late in 2010 we started offering the iPad... today, we are extremely gratified to announce that the iPhone 4 will be available early next month."

YES!

Mobile Hotspot is included (up to 5 devices). I hope that this pushes AT&T to offer tethering, preferably wireless, for free as well. Competition is good.

[quote name='crunchewy']Mobile Hotspot is included. I hope that this pushes AT&T to offer tethering, preferably wireless, for free as well. Competition is good.[/QUOTE]

I was just thinking the exact same thing.

Well, I was planing on getting an iPhone 3G on AT&T next month (I can't justify the price difference between it and the iPhone 4 just for the few upgrades) but good news for those looking for another provider. AT&T is a good provider here in PR, not the best, but probably second to third best.

[quote name='crunchewy']Mobile Hotspot is included (up to 5 devices). I hope that this pushes AT&T to offer tethering, preferably wireless, for free as well. Competition is good.[/QUOTE]

I'll be surprised if they do. Happily surprised, but surprised none the less. I will be interested to see the difference between the network stability between AT&T and Verizon - now we can finally see if any/all of the problems with the service are really AT&T's fault, or if they're the iPhone's fault, like AT&T continues to claim.

[quote name='INCyr']I'll be surprised if they do. Happily surprised, but surprised none the less. I will be interested to see the difference between the network stability between AT&T and Verizon - now we can finally see if any/all of the problems with the service are really AT&T's fault, or if they're the iPhone's fault, like AT&T continues to claim.[/QUOTE]

Unless, of course, the iPhone on Verizon brings their network to its knees. :) Still no data while on the phone with CDMA. Not sure that's really a huge problem, but it's certainly one area that AT&T has over Verizon. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing how well it works on Verizon's network. I think I'll probably switch at some point, just because of the lack of AT&T coverage at work.

Speaking of which, what is AT&T's early termination fee? Wondering what kind of hit I'd take if I switched.

[quote name='DtotheP']Hey guys not trying to be rude but there are other places for a discussion on verizon iPhone. [/QUOTE]

True. Though not so much at CAG, seeing how there's no forum for iOS discussions. But I'll conceded. Here's a token:

Jenga HD is on sale for $1.99. Not a recommendation though. I've never played it. Could be good, could be bad.

[quote name='crunchewy']Jenga HD is on sale for $1.99. Not a recommendation though. I've never played it. Could be good, could be bad.[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for the HD version, but I have the iPhone version, and . . . it's ok. The physics model is there, and it's very realistic in that regard. Controls are relatively easy, though with the way they use the angle and distance of swipes to simulate how hard and how fast you are pulling on the blocks, it can at times be unresponsive (when, for example, the particular pull that you want to do would require a longer swipe distance than the screen). The biggest problem with it, though, is that a lot of the skill in Jenga is based on tactile feedback and precision that's just not possible on the iPhone screen. Personally, I can get a few levels (I think my highest is 24, from a starting height of 18) and then I inevitably lose it.

It's possible that some of the problems are less prevalent with the larger iPad screen. But basically, it's a neat tech demo, and you'll spend some time playing with it and wow your friends, but once you hit up against the limitations of it, you'll grow bored quickly. I'd say it's worth the $1.99 if you're really interested in it, but I wouldn't pay more than that.

Try to keep your virtual driver alive in Fast Roads, currently FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/fast-roads/id401214758?mt=8#).
"Fast Roads is much more than just a game.
Fast Roads is probably one of the most challenging games for the iPhone/iPad.
It requires superior hand-eye coordination and good strategy to achieve higher scores and unlock new stages.
Control chaos with the swipe of your finger.
Help Speedy, Shorty and Racy get to their destination without crashing into each other, or any special vehicles that appear out of nowhere.
Prove you have the fastest fingers in this new and highly addictive game."

Dude that trailer is awful.... it's like watching a video on repeat of... Micro Machines with guns, zoomed in too close. The silly words that pop up followed by more generic gameplay... lol!

Oh well, to each his own. :D

369JHF3MEYMN

That's a code for Time Geeks on the app store. It actually went free a few weeks but if anyone missed it, here's a code. Courtesy of slidetoplay

[quote name='CONMAN999']369JHF3MEYMN

That's a code for Time Geeks on the app store. It actually went free a few weeks but if anyone missed it, here's a code. Courtesy of slidetoplay[/QUOTE]

Thanks, downloading now.

So close to 1 million in Minotaur Rescue (running it on an iPhone 4) earlier tonight. Also figured out that the tanks and jet stream games have help, so now I know what the heck is going on in the latter (left and right to steer left/right - forward and back speed up/slow down), but I still don't care for it. Too chaotic, yet simultaneously too simplistic. The tanks game is pretty fun, though, especially played with another human. It's cramped on an iPhone, but still fun. No doubt a lot more fun with 4 players on an iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back