iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']I played the free version of Hero of Sparta II and wasn't very impressed. The controls seem very loose and forgiving. It looked nice, but it wasn't much fun. I don't really understand all the rave reviews, unless the full game is a lot better.

Shadow Guardian, however, was a lot of fun.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm grabbing the demo for HoS2. I bought the first one for $.99 a while back, but I remember not being too impressed with it back then. Re-loaded it on my iPhone again tonight, will play it (and the demo) tomorrow, to see if it's any better than I remember it.

Also tried the Shadow Guardian demo - I think I need to try it again. Was kinda rushing through it and was tired, so it didn't quite hook me like I had hoped. Not sure if it's just that I'm a huge uncharted fan, and it's so close, and yet so far from that series, or if it's just because I'm tired.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']My appshopper alerts went off like crazy this morning... can't believe SFIV is finally down to a buck.[/QUOTE]

Holy moly the world is ending! haha SFIV for only $0.99! Snagged it and bought one for my best friend too so we could fight on the go. Now if only Infinity Blade would drop to $0.99 then this would be one of the most epic game sale weeks ever. :pray:

http://itunes.apple.com/app/street-fighter-iv/id354655665?mt=8

[quote name='zeb06']Grabbed Shadow Guardian at 99 cents...been waiting on it. Now just have NOVA 2 left...which I voted for the 99 cent sale on it. :)

Still holding out for Dead Space...pretty much any drop in price on it will get me lol.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Any drop in Dead Space and I am on it.

Shadow Guardian is easily worth $1 for me. If I got 6 hours of enjoyment out of Uncharted 2 for $60 and I get 1 hour, or heck, even 30 minutes of fun out of Shadow Guardian at $1, its totally worth it.

Also, I highly recommend SF4 at a buck. Fantastic rendition of Street Fighter 4 on iphone, even with the auto-special button (which I secretly love).

EDIT: Damn it!, DMC4 is on sale at .99, and I just bought it two days ago at $1.99, not to bad really but thats a super quick drop to a buck. Probably in for Dead Rising once I get home.

[quote name='jjz203']Holy moly the world is ending! haha SFIV for only $0.99! Snagged it and bought one for my best friend too so we could fight on the go. Now if only Infinity Blade would drop to $0.99 then this would be one of the most epic game sale weeks ever. :pray:

http://itunes.apple.com/app/street-fighter-iv/id354655665?mt=8[/QUOTE]
Head-to-head SFIV is a blast. I seem to remember that it only worked properly on Bluetooth, however. Playing over wi-fi was a sloggy, frustrating mess (at least in my house).

fuck, I'm excited all these games are going on sale, but I only have $2 left in my itunes account and am awaiting a $15 itunes gift card. But I want all these games, dammit. I think I will get Dead Rising, even though I heard it wasn't amazing, I love the series and would love it on my phone. So I think I will pass on everything else (got Shadow Guardian last night) just in case Infinity Blade drops during all these sales.

Bought Shadow Guardian HD.
It's fucking terrible. I can't believe people once said this good or even decent.

Never again Gameloft.

Bought SFIV for the iPhone and ChuChu Rocket for the iPad.

Any idea how is Super Monkey Ball 2 for the iPad ?

[quote name='jacknicklson']Lots of good capcom games on sale

Dead rising
Sfiv
Devil may cry
Capcom arcade
Re4
Re4 iPad[/QUOTE]

Thanks in for street fighter, does anyone know how the Capcom Arcade works? It shows up as free and I know you buy the games in game but do you buy them separate or just a one time $.99 to unlock all of the games? Also RE4 is not that great but worth a dollar thinking of double dipping for the iPad version even though I've read it's buggy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to say a quick thank you to whoever recommended Flick Kick Field Goal Kickoff the other day. I have already wasted a couple of hours with that game.

Hmm... I I'm in for SFIV even though I suck at these games. Worth a try for a buck I guess. Wondering about Devil May Cry. I've never played it and don't really know what it is. I guess I need to look up some videos for it. Also considering Super Monkey Ball 2, but I'm not sure. I often find those games frustrating. I mainly just liked the mini-games in the console versions.

[quote name='sammers']Sonic The Hedgehog dropped to 2.99[/QUOTE]

All the sonic games are now $2.99, except Sonic Spinball which is $.99.

sacred odyssey for ipad comes out tonight for 7 bucks(via in app purchase). I know some people were holding off for the ipad version.

I dunno if anyone said it, but Ghost n' Goblins Gold Knight 1 is also on sale for .99 cents

Also. Picked up Street Fighter, GnG, and SMB2. Damnit I'm spending way too much $$ on apps.

Virtua Fighter 2 has joined the brawl of .99 sale titles (http://itunes.apple.com/app/virtua-fighter-2/id413313931?mt=8).
"The world’s best martial artists have gathered to test their strength in the World Fighting Tournament. Choose your fighter and challenge your opponents in the arena! The perfect fighter, Dural, waits for you at the end of your journey - Do you have what it takes to become champion?"

Looks like the Valentine-themed update for Cut the Rope is out now, too.

[quote name='Darknuke']in for that as well... bah. No go on Virtua Fighter. Game looks awful lol[/QUOTE]

Virtua Fighter is an awful game back on the Genesis and on this one. I wish they would port the actual arcade version.

[quote name='Shimrra']Virtua Fighter is an awful game back on the Genesis and on this one. I wish they would port the actual arcade version.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I was looking forward to having this until I read the reviews of what it actually is. Pass.

Caster is pretty cool and it's available for FREE for the first time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/caster/id314016537?mt=8).
"Caster is an Intense High Speed 3rd person shooter with Explosive Effects and Massive Terrain Deformation! As a rookie Caster, you are assigned to rid the Middon region of a serious infestation of bug like creatures known as the Flanx.
If you like Metroid, Mega Man, Anime, Manga, or shooters in general, you absolutely MUST check out this game."

Caster is pretty cool and it's available for FREE for the first time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/caster/id314016537?mt=8).
"Caster is an Intense High Speed 3rd person shooter with Explosive Effects and Massive Terrain Deformation! As a rookie Caster, you are assigned to rid the Middon region of a serious infestation of bug like creatures known as the Flanx.
If you like Metroid, Mega Man, Anime, Manga, or shooters in general, you absolutely MUST check out this game."

[quote name='caltab']NBA Jam is coming out tonight 11 EST, I think its five bucks. It looks like it may be decent.

[/QUOTE]

I'm looking forward to this and usually don't wait til a game is $0.99 if it's going to be worth the $3 or $5 they'd normally charge... but if this is an EA game, you know it'll be $0.99 some time soon.

Just tried out the demo for Spiderman - surprisingly fun. Think I'll be grabbing that tonight, and calling it good unless there's something else that pops up in this sale that's a must-buy.

Picked up ChuChu and SFIV. Super psyched about Street Fighter!
I recommend Phantasy Star II and Shining Force.

Nice that we get rewarded with killer sales after several pages of pointless debate. :)

SFIV is definitely fun and worth a buck. I'm not even much of a fighting game fan, but I'm having fun with it. Well, I only played twice, taking those two tries to win my first match. Definitely satisfying!

In for Caster even though I couldn't figure out what it was from the Lite version when I tried it a long time ago. I'll give the full version a shot for free.

Also, I'm probably going to be foolish and buy NBA Jam for $5 out of the gate. I think it will be worth the bucks. This will be my first full price purchase in quite some time.

.99 cents for SFIV is INSANE! Hope they add more characters tho, or just add Juri!

Anyone who updated to 4.2.1 loose all of their friends and achievements in game center?

Phoenix Wright for $1 is an awesome deal. Get it if you haven't played it on the DS already.

So far I've bought:
- Shadow Guardian
(aka. Uncharted mobile version)
- Steel Battalion
(aka. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron mobile version)
- Chu Chu Rocket
- Phantasy Star II
- Shining Force
- Street Fighter IV

Already had Mirror's Edge, Spiderman, and RE4, or I would have gotten those too.
RE4 is nice but I'm not a huge fan of the controls. Some people say it just takes some getting used to; I've only played for about 30 minutes so far.

After looking at reviews and trying out a bunch of the demos, IMO, these are the games (most) worth having a look at for the sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was initially mad at capcom for dropping DMC and DR to $1 after buying both for $2 each, but then I saw the sf4 drop and my rage subsided.

[quote name='thirtytwoutside']I'm looking forward to this and usually don't wait til a game is $0.99 if it's going to be worth the $3 or $5 they'd normally charge... but if this is an EA game, you know it'll be $0.99 some time soon.[/QUOTE]

This^^ It'll be $1 by Christmas. I can wait.

[quote name='eliter1'].99 cents for SFIV is INSANE! Hope they add more characters tho, or just add Juri![/QUOTE]

Agreed. Can't wait to play it. $1 is an absolute steal for this game. Played it on my review account for NoDpad and now I can have my own copy.

Don't know if I should buy SSFIV, considering that I'll be picking up SSFIV for 3DS next month. Does the game control like the SF2 port for iPhone? because I thought that played awful.

[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque']Don't know if I should buy SSFIV, considering that I'll be picking up SSFIV for 3DS next month. Does the game control like the SF2 port for iPhone? because I thought that played awful.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played SF2 for iPhone but the controls for SF4 iPhone are pretty good... as weird as it sounds, given the lack of a stick and 6 individual buttons, it feels true to the console/arcade version (that I put over 300 hours into before SSFIV came out).

For $0.99, it's a steal and well worth it. Plus Capcom has given us 3 free updates with new characters so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back