iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='rhymenoceros']Yes. You can run iPod Touch and iPhone apps on the iPad. If they're not universal, you have the option of running them at original resolution on the iPad which shows in the center of the screen or you can do a 2x zoom, which blows up the image and pixelates it a bit. Some apps look worse than others when you zoom in. I haven't personally seen what NOVA 2 looks like. I'm sure someone here will be around to give a heads up on it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I know I've done it with a few other games, but Nova is a bit different because of the focus on graphics. But or 99 cents, I think it's worth a shot. I'll post up my initial impressions later.

the gameplay of dungeon raid is fantastic, but I wish it had some sense of progression besides just high scores. like you get to keep your spells or equipment. I like that it uses the Azkend style of match 3 to differentiate itself from puzzle quest. its great for a buck, but doesn't have near the depth of PQ2.

Got Nova2 and Dungeon Defenders. Glad I didn't buy pre 4.2! Although I read on Trendy's forums that they've submitted version 4.3 to Apple which fixes that character deletion issue.

[quote name='caltab']the gameplay of dungeon raid is fantastic, but I wish it had some sense of progression besides just high scores. like you get to keep your spells or equipment. I like that it uses the Azkend style of match 3 to differentiate itself from puzzle quest. its great for a buck, but doesn't have near the depth of PQ2.[/QUOTE]
My thoughts exactly. Every time I fire up a new game, I find myself wishing I still had the skills and achievements I earned from the last match. I still keep firing it up, though. Maybe it's something they'll address in a future update.

[quote name='Dimsdale']My thoughts exactly. Every time I fire up a new game, I find myself wishing I still had the skills and achievements I earned from the last match. I still keep firing it up, though. Maybe it's something they'll address in a future update.[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt it. Dungeon Raid was built to be a hardcore (and graphically simpler) version of Puzzle Quest. Adding in a "save" feature would totally go against the whole feel and purpose of the game.

I just bought save toshi dx for a buck. I missed it at free, but my daughter and I had fun with the free version, and half off is better than nothing. If it goes free anytime soon, don't let me find out. Thanks.

App Store

[quote name='JP']Just picked up an iPad today. I'll be playing around with it later.[/QUOTE]

I think your decision is a decent choice....but I have to ask "Why didnt you wait for the 2nd generation ?"

I just thought I would let you know I'm running a little contest on my site and one of the prizes is a $10 iTunes gift card... and I am giving away 6 of them. You can find out the details HERE.

[quote name='Kush']I just thought I would let you know I'm running a little contest on my site and one of the prizes is a $10 iTunes gift card... and I am giving away 6 of them. You can find out the details HERE.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the headset Kush

btw why exactly is your username kush ? is it the kush I am thinking about ?

EDIT: signed up for the contest and I am also now following u on twitter. Well I am guessing thats your twitter ??

[quote name='SkyBird']Prices for iPad accessories are evidently being slashed by AT&T, pointing to the announcement of iPad 2 being VERY SOON. Source:

http://theappera.com/2011/02/14/ipa...-1-accessories-points-to-ipad-2-announcement/[/QUOTE]

apple is pretty predictable with the releases of istuff, I would expect the ipad to get the same yearly update that the phones and ipods get... My wifes ipad broke yesterday, she turned it on and theres a Big white bar runiing from side to side in the middle of the screen. The touch screen itself works but its like all the pixels are dead on a quarter of her screen. i think its still under warranty though, gotta take it in this week.

Need some advise I'm thinking in getting the 3GS iphone is it worth the $49 and the minimum AT&T contract plan? Currently i own an itouch 4g and don't own a cell phone.

[quote name='boredasfook']Need some advise I'm thinking in getting the 3GS iphone is it worth the $49 and the minimum AT&T contract plan? Currently i own an itouch 4g and don't own a cell phone.[/QUOTE]
Not worth it. The hardware is already last year's model. Your iPod Touch 4th Gen already exceeds the iPhone 3GS, so there's no need to step down. The short term additional cost of $150 is not worth the fact that you'll be two revisions behind come June.

That said, I agree with the above: if you don't have a cell phone and ok with it, you're better off not getting one til you need it.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']I think your decision is a decent choice....but I have to ask "Why didnt you wait for the 2nd generation ?"[/QUOTE]

One, because that I was able to talk my supervisor into getting the company to pay for half of it, if I decided to get one within the next couple of weeks. Didnt want to really give them time to change their mind. Two, I was so infuriated by the crap one of the sales reps from our phone division pulled, that if I had went straight back to the office I might have laid the fucker out.

Robokill for ipad has dropped down to 99 cents, I have been waiting for this one to drop again, great game and there is a demo, so you don't even have to take my word for it.

[quote name='jacknicklson']If you can survive without a phone continue doing so
Unless you want Internet everywhere I don't see the point in acquiring a monthly bill[/QUOTE]

and if you really want to be able to make calls and are able to connect to wifi something like skype would do the trick. Last time I checked skype had an unlimited calling out plan for only $3 a month.

Well now I'm regreting my decision I actually ordered it before I wrote my last post. Hoping to hear some good in the 3GS. So how does the return policy work im crossing my fingers I won't get screwed with the return policy or a contract.

[quote name='boredasfook']Well now I'm regreting my decision I actually ordered it before I wrote my last post. Hoping to hear some good in the 3GS. So how does the return policy work im crossing my fingers I won't get screwed with the return policy or a contract.[/QUOTE]

You could do quite a bit worse for $49, the biggest frustration you'll face is that I'm assuming you're now locked in for a 2 year contract. Eventually you will want to upgrade and at that point AT&T will rape you with the non-subsidized prices for a new, state of the art iPhone.

With that said, I have a 3GS currently .. and I absolutely hate ... jk, it's actually a great phone and while you don't get the retina display, you can pretty much run anything in the App store. If you had bought a 3G, I would say you should return it but a 3GS is still solid for right now. However, in about 3 to 4 months that answer may change, especially if Apple decides to update the 5th generation iPhone with a faster processor that bumps out older models (like they did with the 3G).

Honestly though, it was $50 bucks and it's a great phone ... and if you need to upgrade in the future you can always try one of those AT&T contract cancellation scripts that are floating around ;)

[quote name='boredasfook']Well now I'm regreting my decision I actually ordered it before I wrote my last post. Hoping to hear some good in the 3GS. So how does the return policy work im crossing my fingers I won't get screwed with the return policy or a contract.[/QUOTE]

Not sure about AT&T but I know with T-Mobile you could at least change a phone within 30 days of your first contract signing. They must have something similar.

[quote name='boredasfook']Need some advise I'm thinking in getting the 3GS iphone is it worth the $49 and the minimum AT&T contract plan? Currently i own an itouch 4g and don't own a cell phone.[/QUOTE]

Consider the newer iPhone 4 at $200. With the cell/data plan costing a minimum of $55/mo., the effective difference after 2 years is $1370 for the 3GS vs. $1520 for the 4. Plus, after 2 years you can probably sell the iPhone 4 for about $150 more than the 3GS (assuming you upgrade to a newer model).

I'm pretty sure Apple has a good return policy on the iPhone, but don't quote me on it. If I were you I'd have gotten the iPhone 4 instead. The cost of the phone is trivial in comparison to the cost of the contract.

I went ahead and bought N.O.V.A. 2 but I have no idea why: I didn't like the first one much! I'm such a deal addict. Well, hopefully I get some fun out of it.

[quote name='hollowfreak']and if you really want to be able to make calls and are able to connect to wifi something like skype would do the trick. Last time I checked skype had an unlimited calling out plan for only $3 a month.[/QUOTE]

I think Skype is a good idea even for iPhone users, as it is a cheap emergency backup in case the cell towers go down. That makes it even easier to get rid of your landline!

Plus, if you know you're about to make a long call (say, to customer service :)) Skype saves your minutes. Also, there is a way to have Skype report your regular cell number for caller ID to the recipient, so they don't ignore you.

The 3GS is an excellent phone. My only complaint is I keep running out of space with all these great apps! And, since the iPhone 4 also has a 32 gig limit, that wouldn't fix my problem.

Microsoft OneNote iPhone app (hereafter called MONIA) is good, but MobileNoter is better.

Two dealbreakers for MONIA product:

1. MONIA doesn't support sections with a large number of pages (I don't know the exact number, but I have over 800) -- it simply doesn't sync these sections. MobileNoter has no problem with this.

2. MONIA doesn't support password protection to enter the app. MobileNoter does. This is not the password of the OneNote file, but rather the password of the app itself. Depending on what data you store in OneNote, this is pretty important especially if you lend your phone to anyone for any reason.

MobileNoter is $15/year, which I think is a great deal, but unfortunately, with MONIA as free competition it will be interesting to see how long both last in the marketplace.

everyone's getting sooo hyped for the "iPhone 5"...but it's still just speculation! Just like the "iPhone nano" that is rumored to come out.

For all we know, if Apple decides to put something out this June/July..this iphone "5" will probably be nothing more than a 4G network iPhone, which isn't THAT great if you aren't in a big city.

Look at the difference between the iTouch 2g and iTouch 3g. Besides slightly better internal pieces, no huge diff.

Look at the iTouch 3g to the iTouch 4g: Retina display, Facetime function, 2x cameras, etc...but there were 2 years almost between the 2g itouch and 4g itouch. a 2 year bound for a total makeover..unlike the 2g to the 3g

Doubt iPhone "5" will be anything more than a slight modification if anything

[quote name='crunchewy']
I went ahead and bought N.O.V.A. 2 but I have no idea why: I didn't like the first one much! I'm such a deal addict. Well, hopefully I get some fun out of it.[/QUOTE]

Funny, I'm in the same boat as you, all I've done is played it for 10 mins and I was back looking for the next deal. Surprised there isn't very many deals for valentines day, most of the sales ended from last weeks verizon event.

Oh man, did it end already?!

I hate it when they do that garbage

edit: according to appshopper the sale lasted about 17 hours.
Sorry guys, I wish I saw it earlier :cry:

Cats, Inc. is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/cats-inc/id403547508?mt=8).
"There are three cats. And there are sausages. The cats want sausages. But the cats aren't smart enough to get to sausages on their own, and only you can help them!
In this physics-based puzzle game your goal is to get the cats over to the next levels, collecting sausages, and overcoming obstacles. Each of three cats has special abilities, and you will need to figure out which one's should be used."

Something that occurred to me today, and pisses me off....CoD Zombies has NEVER been on sale I believe. Heaven forbid a $0.99 sale on that one....greedy asses

IDK why I bought NOVA 2 when I know I can't stand FPSs on the iPhone, damn sales. Controls are AWFUL! The DS has much better controlling shooters since it at least has shoulder buttons. I really need to stick to games that don't make me use both hands to hold the iPhone because my hands are too big and get tired with this tiny phone.

[quote name='jcp42877']
Doubt iPhone "5" will be anything more than a slight modification if anything[/QUOTE]

Obviously, but that doesn't mean that getting locked into a 3GS for two years is a good idea. Remember how a simple OS update essentially killed the 3G phones. That can easily happen again within two years, so I wouldn't want to be caught with a 3GS when that happens.

[quote name='Vegan']Obviously, but that doesn't mean that getting locked into a 3GS for two years is a good idea. Remember how a simple OS update essentially killed the 3G phones. That can easily happen again within two years, so I wouldn't want to be caught with a 3GS when that happens.[/QUOTE]

Cell phones are the new laptops. They pretty much become obsolete after 1.5-2 years. iPhone and iPhone 3G are pretty much obsolete now and even Apple abandoned them. The 3GS is just about going to reach the end of its life when the next iteration comes out. Developers don't have a choice but to develop for the newer devices if they want to remain competitive so it's just a natural cycle.

[quote name='jcp42877']Something that occurred to me today, and pisses me off....CoD Zombies has NEVER been on sale I believe. Heaven forbid a $0.99 sale on that one....greedy asses[/QUOTE]

Just another reason Battlefield is better than call of dookie:)

[quote name='Lukami']Actually it has been on sale, it was like 9.99 before now its 4.99[/QUOTE]

Price drop =/= sale. I didn't by BFBC2 because i have a couple of other high end games I need to START haha; HoS2, NFS Hot Pursuit, Shadow Guardian, etc.

I should've grabbed BFBC2 when it was $0.99, but I was trying to control my urge to buy games haha

[quote name='eliter1']IDK why I bought NOVA 2 when I know I can't stand FPSs on the iPhone, damn sales. Controls are AWFUL! The DS has much better controlling shooters since it at least has shoulder buttons. I really need to stick to games that don't make me use both hands to hold the iPhone because my hands are too big and get tired with this tiny phone.[/QUOTE]

Did you try the gyroscope controls (if that's an option for you)? Some people say they are great. I haven't actually tried the game yet, so I'm not making claims here. :)

SFIV on the iPhone is 100x easier then SSFIV on the Xbox, and right now I consider that a huge plus. :) I bought SSFIV because I was enjoying the iPhone game and... well I'm not sure why having to pull off odd joystick contortions in order to do moves is supposed to be better. Where's my "P" button? :) Maybe I'll get the hang of it eventually, though.

EDIT: and now something useful! Reiner Knizia's Money has dropped to 99 cents (down from $2.99). Yeah! I've been thinking about this one for a while, so this is perfect. The game either has already gotten, or is soon getting an update to add sound, like the dev has in their game Michael Schacht's Gold. http://appshopper.com/games/reiner-knizias-money And yes, this version does have the sound update. Double-yeah!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchewy']
EDIT: and now something useful! Reiner Knizia's Money has dropped to 99 cents (down from $2.99). Yeah! I've been thinking about this one for a while, so this is perfect. The game either has already gotten, or is soon getting an update to add sound, like the dev has in their game Michael Schacht's Gold. http://appshopper.com/games/reiner-knizias-money And yes, this version does have the sound update. Double-yeah![/QUOTE]

I almost got this one, if it had wi-fi multiplayer or any kind of local multiplayer I would have. Do you know if there an update to add multiplayer in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back