iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='Stimes']I almost got this one, if it had wi-fi multiplayer or any kind of local multiplayer I would have. Do you know if there an update to add multiplayer in the future?[/QUOTE]

The dev has said that pass-and-play is the next major update for all their games, but the first to get it will be Michael Schacht's Gold, in part because there's essentially nothing for players to hide in that game (everybody sees everybody's cards). Even it, though, won't likely see that update until spring or summer as they are contracted to produce two more games and that is taking up most of their time right now.

The single-player in R.K.'s Kingdoms is very good, if that helps. In Gold, the AI needs improvements, but that's not a shock since it's a brand new game (not just for iOS, but in real form). I haven't played Money, yet, but it gets great reviews.

[quote name='crunchewy']SFIV on the iPhone is 100x easier then SSFIV on the Xbox, and right now I consider that a huge plus. :) I bought SSFIV because I was enjoying the iPhone game and... well I'm not sure why having to pull off odd joystick contortions in order to do moves is supposed to be better. Where's my "P" button? :) Maybe I'll get the hang of it eventually, though.[/QUOTE]
I did the same thing. Got SFIV for iOS, liked it, persuaded me to get SSFIV for 360 only to realize I like the iOS version better. Easily the best fighter on iOS, even plays well on my iPad at 2x. I payed $10 for the iOS version though, never thought it would go on sale for $0.99 :/

Just to update you guys on my 3GS purchase I chatted with an apple representative and he told me I could return it back once I receive the package and to make sure I call Apple CS for the details on how to do so. I'm gonna try and make sure I don't do something this retarded again =P

[quote name='boredasfook']Just to update you guys on my 3GS purchase I chatted with an apple representative and he told me I could return it back once I receive the package and to make sure I call Apple CS for the details on how to do so. I'm gonna try and make sure I don't do something this retarded again =P[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought they had a pretty good return policy on it. Are you going to get an iPhone 4, or wait it out for the sequel? That would be nearer the end of the year, if I'm not mistaken.

[quote name='crunchewy']Did you try the gyroscope controls (if that's an option for you)? Some people say they are great. I haven't actually tried the game yet, so I'm not making claims here. :)

SFIV on the iPhone is 100x easier then SSFIV on the Xbox, and right now I consider that a huge plus. :) I bought SSFIV because I was enjoying the iPhone game and... well I'm not sure why having to pull off odd joystick contortions in order to do moves is supposed to be better. Where's my "P" button? :) Maybe I'll get the hang of it eventually, though.
[/QUOTE]

I actually turned gyroscope controls off and it was better for me. I haven't liked gyroscope controls in any game so far, they just don't work for me.

It took me a while to get used to SFIV because I kept trying to pull off moves like in the 360 version all of the time by pure reflex. Once you understand the simplicity of it you can pull of a lot combos easily. You can pull off Super and Ultra combos by just tapping the meters on the top because it's pretty hard to do them on them on the touch screen.

[quote name='eliter1']It took me a while to get used to SFIV because I kept trying to pull off moves like in the 360 version all of the time by pure reflex. Once you understand the simplicity of it you can pull of a lot combos easily. You can pull off Super and Ultra combos by just tapping the meters on the top because it's pretty hard to do them on them on the touch screen.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, which is why I like it more! If you could just perform the moves like this in the Xbox version, that version of the game would be a lot more fun for me. I wish there was a 'newb' mode, including 'newb online', where everyone used such a control scheme. It would be free of weird joystick contortions, and work more like the iPhone version. That would also make it work great with a standard controller. That would be awesome for this career newb. I'd even pay for it as DLC. Take my money, Capcom!

[quote name='crunchewy']Yeah, I thought they had a pretty good return policy on it. Are you going to get an iPhone 4, or wait it out for the sequel? That would be nearer the end of the year, if I'm not mistaken.[/QUOTE]
There's always going to be a newer version to wait for. The next one isn't even announced.

That said I agree with everyone else that your better off with the 4 than the 3GS. $150 pales in comparison to the large amount you spend on the contract. And if you don't need cellular service really you're going to want to buy an ipod touch.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']There's always going to be a newer version to wait for. The next one isn't even announced.

That said I agree with everyone else that your better off with the 4 than the 3GS. $150 pales in comparison to the large amount you spend on the contract. And if you don't need cellular service really you're going to want to buy an ipod touch.[/QUOTE]

I think he should wait. No announcement but they always release a new one in the summer. Apple makes money from selling the hardware and apps not the contract, they are not going to miss a year.

Its not like june/july is a year from now.

[quote name='boredasfook']Just to update you guys on my 3GS purchase I chatted with an apple representative and he told me I could return it back once I receive the package and to make sure I call Apple CS for the details on how to do so. I'm gonna try and make sure I don't do something this retarded again =P[/QUOTE]
Since you already have an iPod Touch 4th Gen you should either stick with the 3GS if you need it now or wait til the iPhone 5. No reason to go with the iPhone 4 IMO.

[quote name='Liveforlaughs76']Since you already have an iPod Touch 4th Gen you should either stick with the 3GS if you need it now or wait til the iPhone 5. No reason to go with the iPhone 4 IMO.[/QUOTE]

If he's going to be stuck with a phone for 2 years he might as well get the iPhone 4 even if he does have an iTouch 4th gen. Honestly, he should just sell his iTouch and use his iPhone as one. If he wants an iPhone NOW, he should get the iPhone 4. Don't settle for a lesser model. Like others said, the cost of the phone does not compare to the commitment you make to it for the next 2 years.

I love my Verizon iPhone 4 to death. It's my new favorite toy. Screw the DS or PSP. This is all I need haha.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']You guys are going off topic, this thread is supposed to be about ongoing app sales...[/QUOTE]
After the glut of recent sales-by-everyone, it's (finally) slowed down quite a bit. Reiner Knizia's "Money" was the last real deal of note so far.

If you're just itching for something to download, however, you can grab ImageQuest for FREE right now (http://itunes.apple.com/app/imagequest/id354602525?mt=8#).
"ImageQuest – the art of Pictonyms. ImageQuest is a new type of visual puzzle that turns the mental activity of image association into a fun and engaging game. ImageQuest includes over 500 "pictonym" puzzles that require recognizing pictures, finding relationships, and tapping into one's vocabulary to find the word that links a set of images."

[quote name='Azuvidexus']You guys are going off topic, this thread is supposed to be about ongoing app sales...[/QUOTE]

It always goes off topic. There's not really any good app deals going on (I already looked through appshopper.com to check), so don't even worry about it ;).

[quote name='dubbfoolio']There's always going to be a newer version to wait for. The next one isn't even announced.

That said I agree with everyone else that your better off with the 4 than the 3GS. $150 pales in comparison to the large amount you spend on the contract. And if you don't need cellular service really you're going to want to buy an ipod touch.[/QUOTE]

Next version comes in June. iPhones always release in June, except when launching on a new carrier.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Next version comes in June. iPhones always release in June, except when launching on a new carrier.[/QUOTE]
I've heard theories that the verizon launch might change this pattern, because they might not want to alienate all their brand new customers who just bought iphone 4s with verizon. 4 instances isn't exactly the greatest statistics, apple will do whatever they think will make them more money. Chances are a new one will come out this summer, but also I wouldn't be surprised if it happened later.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']I've heard theories that the verizon launch might change this pattern, because they might not want to alienate all their brand new customers who just bought iphone 4s with verizon. 4 instances isn't exactly the greatest statistics, apple will do whatever they think will make them more money. Chances are a new one will come out this summer, but also I wouldn't be surprised if it happened later.[/QUOTE]

Do you really think Apple isn't going to release the iPhone 4S/5/whatever in all the countries in the world because of Verizon? Don't be daft.... Verizon is ONE network. There are a zillion networks around the world that expect an iPhone update. And this wouldn't be the first time a mid-cyle iPhone has been released on a network and then some months later the next version came out on the same network. Apple is in the business of making money, not feeling bad for people who may *have* (want) to upgrade again.

[quote name='WilliamG']Do you really think Apple isn't going to release the iPhone 4S/5/whatever in all the countries in the world because of Verizon? Don't be daft.... Verizon is ONE network. There are a zillion networks around the world that expect an iPhone update. And this wouldn't be the first time a mid-cyle iPhone has been released on a network and then some months later the next version came out on the same network. Apple is in the business of making money, not feeling bad for people who may *have* (want) to upgrade again.[/QUOTE]
I think this was just something I heard on the engadget podcast several months ago. You're probably right: when you think of the global customer base, the new verizon customer base is probably pretty small.

[quote name='CaptainKishimoto']Just a quick question, app shopper seems to have deleted my whole wish list...Is anyone else having this problem or wtf o_O[/QUOTE]

Mine still seems to be intact.

Mobilehead's apps are free today in their after-Valentines Day one day sale.

These include:

How To Keep An Idiot Busy ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/how-to-keep-an-idiot-busy/id347347879?mt=8 )
How do you keep an idiot busy? Download this app and find out!

How To Keep An Idiot Busy 2 ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/how-to-keep-an-idiot-busy-2/id384806318?mt=8 )
AKA RPG Character Creator which asks simple questions for simple people.

Remember the 80's ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/remember-the-80s/id365047083?mt=8 )
A trivia app which tests your knowledge of the Eighties era.

Remember the 90's ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/remember-the-90s/id391544567?mt=8 )
The sequel trivia app to the sequel era known as the Nineties.

Dead Reload ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dead-reload/id395401544?mt=8 )
Survive the zombie apocalypse by mashing out shots against the impending horde.

Cupid 2: Unbroken Beau ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cupid-2-unbroken-beau/id415768776?mt=8 )
Survive the romantic apocalypse by mashing out arrows against the impending demons.

Boba Time ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boba-time/id384742638?mt=8 )
A fun cutesy boba shop app where you prepare boba drinks for a line of customers.

I personally know these developers, so I hope you folks can give some good reviews. Thanks! :cool:

[quote name='Devilman72']Just wanted to say Cooking Dash is now free for a limited time.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up! Now here's hoping Diner Dash will go on sale (although I'm sure it already has many times).

Slide to Unlock is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/id359315994?mt=8).
"You do it all the time, but have you mastered it?
A simple yet addictive game which tests your speed and unlocking prowess. Play online against thousands of the world's best iPhone users in four challenging game modes to determine who is the slide-to-unlocker to rule them all."

New FAAD offerings include:
9000BC Pro (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/9000bc-pro/id397681234?mt=8)
"The natives from neighboring tribes and the monsters from the deep Jungle are coming.
They are here to take away the power of life from your Village.
Your strength has been magnified by the power of the Gods. Along with this strength, new powers have been granted to you.
9,000 BC promises to take you back in time where fiction is reality."

American Ball (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/american-ball/id407931658?mt=8)
"With the success of Dungeons and Coin, Sigma Game brings American Ball on to your iPhone! We put this true American classic into your pocket! The ticket-prize system allows you to buy prizes (3D furniture) and decorate your own 360 Bar. You can also visit other player’s room and battle against them in the Online Tournaments! Now, you can challenge other players anytime, anywhere with American Ball!"

Caribbean JUMP Online
(http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/caribbean-jump-online/id417934947?mt=8)
"Caribbean Jump Online is an incredibly fun and addictive online multiplayer game, where you can enjoy a race with your friends all over the world.
And you will actually feel like you're playing real racing with others."

One of my favorite games, Rise of Atlantis HD is free for the next 24 hours! (Not sure how to do a link, could someone help me? Dimms?)

Thanks! :D

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']I just got my ipad today... i am loving it so much.[/QUOTE]

I'll probably get an Iphone down the road, I don't own one yet but I have downloaded over 50 of these temporarily free games. I figured, what the hell? I've got HDD space.

[quote name='prayformojo']Did Transformers G1 ever get fixed to work on the iPad?[/QUOTE]

It works on iPad.

Particle wars did not.

I started playing Dungeons & Such last night, the Lite version, that was mentioned a short time ago by somebody, and at first I was WTF, but 1 hour 30 minutes later I got to the end of the Lite version. Ok, I think they had the lite version go on too long given that after buying the full version you have to start over, and really the game is far from perfect, but I can't deny that it's addicting. I'd recommend it for the sale price of 99 cents (all this month - you've got time). Try the lite version first.

http://appshopper.com/games/dungeons-such-lite
http://appshopper.com/games/dungeons-such

Also, in for Rise of Atlantis HD for my future iPad. Thanks!

Air Boss has dropped to FREE for the time being (http://itunes.apple.com/app/air-boss/id317944436?mt=8#).
"It is 2030 and you control the flight deck of the most powerful warship ever created, the USS Gerald R. Ford: CVN78. Sent to defend the coast of an allied nation, it is up to you to keep your warplanes up and engaged to protect your friends from the enemy threat.
With powerful electromagnetic catapults, maintain a high sortie rate, while you launch and recover state-of-the-art aircraft including:
F/A-18 Super Hornets, F-35C Joint Strike Fighters, and J-UCAS Unmanned Areal Vehicles while supporting the effort with your "eye in the sky", the Advanced Hawkeye E-2D AEW.
Keep the landing area clear and your arsenal armed and fueled, and you will earn awards for your skill on your 15-day combat assignment: Operation Coastal Shield.
Take control of the flight deck! You are the Airboss !"

And, to fulfill the semi-regular CAG quota of Engrish release freebies, there's Red Rum (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/red-rum/id419056301?mt=8).
"Play it,no regret !
A lonely hero,a Metallic color gun,he was fighting with the forces of evil by himself!
In the game,you will control the hero,Adjust shooting Angle ,From all the angles ,or depand on the bullets,or depand on the power of the dynamite,to kill all the terrorists.
Features:
- the accurate shooting-the tricky flight track
-Absolutely mental test!
- subtle insight observation
-the dynamic ,cool music
-Timely stability update and upgrade!"

Going to be getting an Ipad in the next month or two(trying to wait for Ipad 2 before grabbing one)and have two questions for you guys.

1. Reccomendations on games and or apps you reccomend that are free/cheap? Even if they cost a few bucks if you feel its a great game I should pick up or watch for a sale on let me know please!

2. I am guessing I will need to set up an appstore account when I get my ipad anyways. So is it possible to set it up now and buy games on my PC for anticipation of when I get my Ipad?

[quote name='Dimsdale']And, to fulfill the semi-regular CAG quota of Engrish release freebies, there's Red Rum

"Play it,no regret !
A lonely hero,a Metallic color gun,he was fighting with the forces of evil by himself!
In the game,you will control the hero,Adjust shooting Angle ,From all the angles ,or depand on the bullets,or depand on the power of the dynamite,to kill all the terrorists.
Features:
-Absolutely mental test!
-the dynamic ,cool music
-Timely stability update and upgrade!"[/QUOTE]
Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't support an obvious pirate rip-off of Bounce Bullet. ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bounce-bullet-pro/id348609565?mt=8 )

[quote name='MSI Magus']Going to be getting an Ipad in the next month or two(trying to wait for Ipad 2 before grabbing one)and have two questions for you guys.

1. Reccomendations on games and or apps you reccomend that are free/cheap? Even if they cost a few bucks if you feel its a great game I should pick up or watch for a sale on let me know please!

2. I am guessing I will need to set up an appstore account when I get my ipad anyways. So is it possible to set it up now and buy games on my PC for anticipation of when I get my Ipad?[/QUOTE]

Rage HD
Eternal Legacy HD
Shadow Guardian HD
Angry Birds HD
World of Goo

Yes you can create an account on your computer and start downloading apps in preparation. Same ones I posted on gfaqs if you are the same person lol

[quote name='Dimsdale']And, to fulfill the semi-regular CAG quota of Engrish release freebies, there's Red Rum (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/red-rum/id419056301?mt=8).
"Play it,no regret !
Features:
-Absolutely mental test!
-the dynamic ,cool music
-Timely stability update and upgrade!"[/QUOTE]

My head just exploded.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Rage HD
Eternal Legacy HD
Shadow Guardian HD
Angry Birds HD
World of Goo

Yes you can create an account on your computer and start downloading apps in preparation. Same ones I posted on gfaqs if you are the same person lol[/QUOTE]

Yep that's me! I tossed out a few lines and figured id see who bites. Sometimes you ask a question like that and not a single person responds(or gives helpful answers)so I figured ask at a few different sites. I wrote all your suggestions down!

O another quick q. I have no idea how much space these games take up! Should I be ok with a smaller hard drive like the 8 or 16 gig or do I need to go big like 32+? I intend to download a lot of board and video games but I doubt I dump music to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back