iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Across Age DX is also on sale(Retina version) - $1.99
http://itunes.apple.com/app/across-age-dx/id387190022?mt=8

And the iPad version is 2.99
http://appshopper.com/link/across-age-hd

These two versions have Gamecenter, the $.99 version does not have gamecenter or retina display[/QUOTE]

Is Across Age DX worth it? I have a ton of games already on backlog, added this one to my wishlist on a whim, but not sure if I should spend or just buy later if it drops again at some point.

Demo of Across Age did not impress.

DD may be not worth $4, but I'll take the plunge anyway. I love beat-em-ups in the grotesque sexual way.

Also, who the heck is Minter? Hell, don't bother. If we're getting so auteur that games are defined by one guy's name, it's probably not worth my time.

EDIT: Spelling errors EVERYWHERE in Double Dragon. Game is decent quality though, but no level select or quick save. Just ios 4 fast app switching/saving. Lack of level select is kinda ridiculous though.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is everyone spending the 175 experience points from the new Infinity Blade update? Everyone got 175 points, right?

EDIT: Oh I see. It reset all of my points.

[quote name='iowaholdem']How is everyone spending the 175 experience points from the new Infinity Blade update? Everyone got 175 points, right?

EDIT: Oh I see. It reset all of my points.[/QUOTE]

Tap +10 on Attack until it disappears.

Distribute the rest as you see fit, preferably more attack.

Shield and Magic are worse than useless.

I just re-installed Minotaur Rescue to give it another chance. Yeah, I still hate it and now I have a headache. It's probably the worst game I've ever paid for. A shame I loved the old Atari games too.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Tap +10 on Attack until it disappears.

Distribute the rest as you see fit, preferably more attack.

Shield and Magic are worse than useless.[/QUOTE]How is magic useless? I think it's best to build up just health and magic. Seems like the most useful to me as magic does 700+ damage with a few points behind it and the Infinity Blade does 200 damage.

[quote name='Stimes']I just re-installed Minotaur Rescue to give it another chance. Yeah, I still hate it and now I have a headache. It's probably the worst game I've ever paid for. A shame I loved the old Atari games too.[/QUOTE]

Are you having trouble with the controls? The trick is swiping, not holding your finger on the screen... except when you need to boost away, but still never keeping it on the screen for long. The game plays really well once you get the hang of it. Oh well. I like it, anyway. :)

[quote name='crunchewy']Are you having trouble with the controls? The trick is swiping, not holding your finger on the screen... except when you need to boost away, but still never keeping it on the screen for long. The game plays really well once you get the hang of it. Oh well. I like it, anyway. :)[/QUOTE]

I think it was the controls at first, now I'm just not having fun with it and the bright colors are annoying. I want to like it, it has good reviews, maybe it's me and not the game I don't know, I'll try it again sometime.

LastStandStan is available for FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/laststandstan/id417222670?mt=8).
"Take control of Stan (STatic Alien Neutraliser) to defend the last Po’Trubian world from the evil Sleevils.
He's a rusty and battered retired robot but still packs a punch when he's called back to duty by the gentle Po'Trubians.
This game starts gently but don't fall into that trap - Oh no, the Sleevils will get very tough, quickly and will do everything to destroy you and then the Po'Trubians. Stan gets many weapon and feature upgrades but use them wisely or you'll be without them when a new Sleevil comes along.."

[quote name='iowaholdem']How is magic useless? I think it's best to build up just health and magic. Seems like the most useful to me as magic does 700+ damage with a few points behind it and the Infinity Blade does 200 damage.[/QUOTE]

I'd second taking magic, but I go for a balance of health and attack. Shield is pointless.

[quote name='Stimes']I think it was the controls at first, now I'm just not having fun with it and the bright colors are annoying. I want to like it, it has good reviews, maybe it's me and not the game I don't know, I'll try it again sometime.[/QUOTE]

Try playing the mode where there isn't a sun first. That's what turned me around on it. That mode is much easier due to the lack of the sun pulling you in and will help you master the controls. Then when you switch back to the main mode it is pretty awesome. As far as the visuals... they are greatly toned down from the horrid "Space Giraffe" for XBLA, so that's something. :)

[quote name='iowaholdem']How is magic useless? I think it's best to build up just health and magic. Seems like the most useful to me as magic does 700+ damage with a few points behind it and the Infinity Blade does 200 damage.[/QUOTE]
Magic comes too rarely to be a game changer and any enemy you can't beat by itself is immune to enough magic to make it not worth the effort.

[quote name='crunchewy']Jeff Minter's new game, Minotron: 2112 is out for $1.99. I only tried it once, but I have to say, these controls are going to take some getting use to. I loved Minotaur Rescue, but this one I'm less sure about. [/QUOTE]

Bought it last night and love it. The trick is not to take your movement finger off the screen during a level. Between levels is okay. It's not perfect but I don't have any problems with it.

I like it even better than Minotaur Rescue. Each new level brings new insanity and nods to 2600/Intellivision games. It was a happy moment blasting away, seeing the robots from Berzerk and the Tron characters on the same level.

[quote name='RollingSkull']
Also, who the heck is Minter? Hell, don't bother. If we're getting so auteur that games are defined by one guy's name, it's probably not worth my time.[/QUOTE]

I'll bother anyway. He did Tempest 2000 (aka the reason to own a Jaguar), along with many other updated retro games. It's not so much auteur as it is knowing you're going to get old-school gaming with trippy graphics and bovines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loving the IB update, but damn has it gotten hard (before the update my character was maxed out). I tried it for a little bit last night and finished 2 of the 3 locks on the door. Seriously want more from them.

How did I miss out on tiny wings... Downloading now

[quote name='blandstalker']Bought it last night and love it. The trick is not to take your movement finger off the screen during a level. Between levels is okay. It's not perfect but I don't have any problems with it.

I like it even better than Minotaur Rescue. Each new level brings new insanity and nods to 2600/Intellivision games. It was a happy moment blasting away, seeing the robots from Berzerk and the Tron characters on the same level.[/QUOTE]

I like the "16 TONS" weight. Actually, that damned thing keeps killing me. :) The game has definitely grown on me, though I'm still focused on trying to 100% League of Evil so haven't played it a ton yet, pun intended.

Also, anybody who has never played Tempest 2000 has done themselves a disservice. I really hope that Minter brings a rendition of that game to the iPhone. I will buy that day one. I don't care if he prices it at $9.99.

[quote name='Stimes']I just re-installed Minotaur Rescue to give it another chance. Yeah, I still hate it and now I have a headache. It's probably the worst game I've ever paid for. A shame I loved the old Atari games too.[/QUOTE]

Controls are so bad on some of these games...

Burn The Rope is basically $0.99 all the time. They just raise and immediately drop the price every now and then to drum up interest.

In actual sale news, the newly released 6th Planet just dropped to $0.99! 6th Planet is getting rave reviews on pretty much every iOS gaming website, so grab it while it's still cheap.

[quote name='Stry-ker']I voted!!![/QUOTE]

I just voted too, but there's a long way to go it seems. We can vote once per day so hopefully it gets to 99 cents.

[quote name='Citizen GKar']In actual sale news, the newly released 6th Planet just dropped to $0.99! 6th Planet is getting rave reviews on pretty much every iOS gaming website, so grab it while it's still cheap.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting. Will check it out once I get home. Voted for DH2.

[quote name='Citizen GKar']Burn The Rope is basically $0.99 all the time. They just raise and immediately drop the price every now and then to drum up interest.
[/QUOTE]

Haha I'd seen this game mentioned a few times here and there and always assumed it was an iPhone port of You Have to Burn the Rope for some reason. I couldn't figure out why people were paying to play that on iPhone and excited that it was on sale. Not that YHTBTR isn't epic and worth every penny... but I just checked this game out now and apparently this is a very different game.

Burn The Rope is indeed well worth playing, and it gets pretty bloody hard near the end.

In sale news, X2 Snowboarding dropped to $0.99 again, so grab it if you didn't last time.

[quote name='Citizen GKar']
In actual sale news, the newly released 6th Planet just dropped to $0.99! 6th Planet is getting rave reviews on pretty much every iOS gaming website, so grab it while it's still cheap.[/QUOTE]
Wow, what a nice find! I've been gone all day and just happened to get a few minutes to check CAG. Thanks for the heads up. It'll give me something to look forward to tonight after soccer practice.

[quote name='Spanky']Patiently waiting for the next EA sale so I can grab NBA Jam and a couple others.[/QUOTE]

same here. nba jam is number one in my "most wanted app but not for more than a certain price" category. i'm hoping for 99 cents!

+1 for 6th Planet. For $1, it's worth it.

-1 for Splinter Cell Conviction. Finally got that behemoth on and off my phone. The best of the Gameloft Iphone games I've played, but still sucky.

Was going to ask had anyone tried GeoRing but its back up to $1.99. Ah well missed the sale since I was too busy at work to look into it before buying. Anyone care to comment on it anyway? I can always put it on my appshopper list and snag it next time.

Playwav is a new app that is popular on the Appshopper and is 99 cents but I noticed on the developer page that All In Playwav is free, I think its the same game, I don't see any ads or anything. It's 3 games in 1 with more games every update. MegaStrike is one of them that makes the app worth downloading.

http://appshopper.com/games/all-in-playwav

[quote name='Jayrcee']Hmm, showing up as .99 for me :([/QUOTE]

Sorry I thought it was going to stay free until Sunday. You should put it on your wishlist in the appshopper app.

iAmGuitar is FREE for today only (sorry, just got home).
"Want to rock the guitar? Anytime, Anywhere?
Or wish you could play the guitar but never learned?
You can do all this and more with iAmGuitar by savageapps!
First, choose between a six string, a twelve string, and an electric guitar. Then choose the key you want to play in (the chords you want to play). And that's it! Now you can rock the party!
To get that real guitar feel we included Easy Keys and Velocity Strumming. Easily switch between chords with the tap of a button. Strum or pick strings individually. Strum or tap in the center of the device for full volume, and at the edge of the device for quieter notes.
Yes, you can actually play real songs, or write your own! A must have for the singer song-writer--just use headphones and explore your inspirations anywhere, anytime!"

Same is true for iAmDrums. I am downloading.
"Want to rock out on the drums? Anywhere, Anytime? Get iAmDrums by savageapps and satisfy your inner beast.
6 kits to play, including Rock, Acoustic, House, Rave, BeatBox, and DrumCircle--and more kits on the way!"

Minion Wars is the new FAAD featured game.
"Minion Wars is a combination of Defense and RTS genres. You are a summoner that must defeat the powerful conjurer by calling forth fearsome elementals and legendary creatures to fight for you."

3bot
is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day.
"3bot is a unique brain-twister game for iPhone and iPod Touch. Challenging 3D puzzles executed in a retro sci-fi style. 3bot is easy to learn, hard to master and impossible to put down."

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back