iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='crunchewy']I won't have an iPad until it's shipped and delivered, which is currently estimated as the 14th. I'm wondering if they aren't talking about the "collectors edition" DLC which gives, among other things, a strategy guide. hopefully it doesn't force the need for it.[/QUOTE]
I bought all three of the MumboJumbo iPad hidden object games for a buck each and just started on Salem. It looks like the in app purchase if for the director's cut of the game with extra scenes to play. I'm liking it so far, but doubt I will spring for the extra content.

I wish there was a game about the Salem witch trials that played like fallout 3 but with the writing quality of bioshock and the sound design of siren.

Anyway, zombie crisis 3d 2 is on sale for a buck, down from $3. The first one was like house of the dead, this one apparently is still on rails but is top-down. Has good reviews so far.

App Store

Balliland XL is the latest FAAD featured game.
"Balliland residents go everywhere together. Guide them on their journey through treacherous paths amongst their world's varied landscapes: from thickly wooded forests to the dry dusty desert and from the icy expanses of the Arctic to a noisy factory, you must avoid numerous perils and solve mind-bending puzzles in order to reunite them.
GAMEPLAY
The basic idea is simple: guide the three little guys into a straight line. Helping you - and hindering you - are various objects like crates, blocks of ice, wormholes and deadly moving saws. What looks like a friend may turn out to be a foe, and an exploding bomb isn't always a bad thing! Plan wisely - and pick up as many award badges as you can along the way!"

Immuno
is the current OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Immuno is a fast paced finger flicking action game set inside your own body’s organs. Take control of your immune system to fend off deadly viruses. Whether you’re looking for a quick thrill to pass the time or consider yourself a serious gamer looking for a real challenge, this heart stopping action game will keep you on the edge of your seat."

[quote name='ryanflucas']What kind of battery life are you guys getting on average with the iPad 2?[/QUOTE]

When I was just browsing the internet and playing around with lightweight apps I was on par to go a few days without recharging. Then I started messing with Garage Band yesterday and it was draining fast. (maybe like 6-8 hours)

EDIT: Newscast releases on 4/1 at $18.99 and then its free the next day. Do developers do that on purpose to show up on appshopper?

How does metal gear solid touch play on the iPad? The reviews seems mixed, but I was thinking about giving it a try for only 99 cents

[quote name='jimbach13']How does metal gear solid touch play on the iPad? The reviews seems mixed, but I was thinking about giving it a try for only 99 cents[/QUOTE]

It plays fine on the iPad, the game is nothing like a real MGS game, you don't walk in the game, your just in one spot shooting bad guys but its worth a dollar if your on the iPad. I could see it being unplayable on the smaller devices though I haven't tried.

Edit: there is a lite version, you can try it if your still on the fence.
http://appshopper.com/games/metal-gear-solid-touch-lite-us

[quote name='Stimes']It plays fine on the iPad, the game is nothing like a real MGS game, you don't walk in the game, your just in one spot shooting bad guys but its worth a dollar if your on the iPad. I could see it being unplayable on the smaller devices though I haven't tried.

Edit: there is a lite version, you can try it if your still on the fence.
http://appshopper.com/games/metal-gear-solid-touch-lite-us[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info about the lite version. Not bad, but not something I will really play.

[quote name='jimbach13']Thanks for the info about the lite version. Not bad, but not something I will really play.[/QUOTE]

Ya I picked it up and wish I hadn't.

Hi guys, Not sure if this one is on the US iTunes but an English game from PDC Okinawa titled "Sense" is free right now on Japan's iTunes (I tend to go back and forth with downloading games from US and Japan to my iPhone/iPad):

http://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/sense/id423773637?mt=8

Also, a lot of Amuzenet games are Free right now on iTunes Japan (not sure if it's on iTunes US):

http://www.amuze-net.com/en/application.html

And if you haven't downloaded this one, check them out...awesome! (esp. on iPad)

Taiko no Tatsujin (a rhythm based game - User friendly if you can't read Japanese, you can figure this one out easy):
http://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/taiko-no-tatsujin/id366956158?mt=8

JuBeat Plus (another cool rhythm-based game - user friendly if you can't read Japanese)
http://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/jubeat-plus/id395192484?mt=8

Ghost Trick (a game that is user friendly but with a lot of dialogue that is in Japanese)
http://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/id401594433?mt=8

--
Also, noticed Treasure Hunter HD, Lego Ninjago Spinjitzu Scavenger Hunt, Haunted Manor, Big Time Gangsta, Gun Bros and Tesla Wars HD were free today.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you liked the description for Treasure Hunter HD but you don't have an iPad, then download Treasure Hunter 2011 for your iPhone. It's also currently available for FREE. And if you can actually understand what the description for Treasure Hunter is saying, then you're doing better than me . . .
"Dear my friends, welcome to KooGame Kingdom. Now we are showing you is an adventure full of surprise and pleasure. We support each explorer with a High-Tech Goblin Cable Excavator and a guidebook with a FREE hand! And then, you should master your own destiny by yourself.
Our Cable Excavator is very safe, efficient and easy to use. It will NEVER pocket your treasures for itself. But please trust me my friends, your trip will not go on so smoothly. Who knows whether you’ll be Blown to Bits by a big bomb and nobody can tell you when the hateful Dung Beetles is sneaking to take away your diamond... Oh God! It seems too much I have told you!
No, no, no, no, don’t leave me, please. Door for treasures has been open, infinite wealth and inviting collections are here waiting for you. All what you need is just to move one of your fingers and loot them home!
Yours sincerely, King of KooGame"

Jump Desktop @ $9.99 (reg $19.99)
**** Happy Birthday iPad & Jump Desktop: 50% sale on April 3rd ****

Jump Desktop is a remote desktop application that lets you control your computer from your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch. Compatible with both RDP and VNC, Jump Desktop is secure, reliable and very easy to set up. Features include a streamlined user interface that gives you the best possible remote desktop experience on any of your mobile devices.

Been waiting on these since released. Intro to Letters and Intro to Math are down to .99 for a limited time. These apps are great for those with little ones learning letters and numbers.

Is quickoffice a good app, or is there a better app that is about the same.

For Apps like mercury web browser what types of files can you download?

Thank you

Ghost Trick? THE Ghost Trick? Well, those DLC packages look pricey, but it sure seems a lot for them to bring Ghost Trick to the Iphone. I guess there's good money there.

[quote name='Dimsdale']If you liked the description for Treasure Hunter HD but you don't have an iPad, then download Treasure Hunter 2011 for your iPhone. It's also currently available for FREE. And if you can actually understand what the description for Treasure Hunter is saying, then you're doing better than me . . .
"Dear my friends, welcome to KooGame Kingdom. Now we are showing you is an adventure full of surprise and pleasure. We support each explorer with a High-Tech Goblin Cable Excavator and a guidebook with a FREE hand! And then, you should master your own destiny by yourself.
Our Cable Excavator is very safe, efficient and easy to use. It will NEVER pocket your treasures for itself. But please trust me my friends, your trip will not go on so smoothly. Who knows whether you’ll be Blown to Bits by a big bomb and nobody can tell you when the hateful Dung Beetles is sneaking to take away your diamond... Oh God! It seems too much I have told you!
No, no, no, no, don’t leave me, please. Door for treasures has been open, infinite wealth and inviting collections are here waiting for you. All what you need is just to move one of your fingers and loot them home!
Yours sincerely, King of KooGame"[/QUOTE]

LOL, that description *is* pretty bad, even by Engrish standards! But the game is pretty good. I got to level 20 before it started getting tough.

Has anyone had this happen? My iPhone crashed during a software update and the only way to fix it was to restore and re-download all my apps. When I re-downloaded, most of my apps gave me the "you've already paid for this" screen, but a few did not. The ones that did not were Plants vs. Zombies, Monster Mayhem, Slingo Supreme, and Cut the Rope. I got my latest iTunes store receipt and I got charged for all of these even though I'd paid for them before. I don't know why this happened - did I screw something up? Should I call Apple's iTunes Store customer service? Thanks.

[quote name='kndy']Taiko no Tatsujin (a rhythm based game - User friendly if you can't read Japanese, you can figure this one out easy):
http://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/taiko-no-tatsujin/id366956158?mt=8

JuBeat Plus (another cool rhythm-based game - user friendly if you can't read Japanese)
http://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/jubeat-plus/id395192484?mt=8

Ghost Trick (a game that is user friendly but with a lot of dialogue that is in Japanese)
http://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/id401594433?mt=8[/QUOTE]
Just to clarify, these are not "Free." The app is free, but then they hit you with multiple in-game downloads to get the full game.

[quote name='kndy'](I tend to go back and forth with downloading games from US and Japan to my iPhone/iPad): [/QUOTE]

How can you use the Japanese itunes store?

[quote name='gamercheap5']How can you use the Japanese itunes store?[/QUOTE]

On the desktop in iTunes, under iTunes Store, scroll to the bottom of the page. There should be a circular flag in the lower right corner. Click on it, and pick the store country you want to use. Remember to switch this back when needed. Also, I believe if you synch your device in iTunes, it caches whichever store you are currently using in iTunes onto the device's App Store app (but I haven't really verified this).

[quote name='danhoo']On the desktop in iTunes, under iTunes Store, scroll to the bottom of the page. There should be a circular flag in the lower right corner. Click on it, and pick the store country you want to use. Remember to switch this back when needed. Also, I believe if you synch your device in iTunes, it caches whichever store you are currently using in iTunes onto the device's App Store app (but I haven't really verified this).[/QUOTE]

Worked perfect
Ty

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Jump Desktop @ $9.99 (reg $19.99)
**** Happy Birthday iPad & Jump Desktop: 50% sale on April 3rd ****

Jump Desktop is a remote desktop application that lets you control your computer from your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch. Compatible with both RDP and VNC, Jump Desktop is secure, reliable and very easy to set up. Features include a streamlined user interface that gives you the best possible remote desktop experience on any of your mobile devices.
[/QUOTE]

Has anybody with a Mac used this? Some of the reviews say it's keyboard doesn't have keys like the command key, when used with a Mac. Is that still true or an old comment? I've been using RemoteTap which I actually really like, but which unfortunately seems to have been abandoned and there's no universal version nor separate iPad version. Now that I'll be getting an iPad I want something that has full iPad support. If Jump Desktop isn't a good choice for this, would like to hear about others that might be. Note that I want to be able to use it both locally for our Macs at home, but also remotely for helping my Mom and sister when needed.

[quote name='realkilla789']World of goo is coming to iPhone and it will be .99 cents the first day. After that it will be 2.99. http://i.joystiq.com/2011/04/04/world-of-goo-coming-soon-to-iphone-will-be-99-for-first-day/[/QUOTE]

Plus they are going to make the iPad version universal! I bought the iPad version when it went on sale for a buck and haven't been able to play it as I don't have my iPad yet. Still... I'll probably wait for my iPad for myself to play it. This would be a lot better if there was cloud storage of your save such that you could use both devices to play the same save. Oh well.

[quote name='crunchewy']Plus they are going to make the iPad version universal! I bought the iPad version when it went on sale for a buck and haven't been able to play it as I don't have my iPad yet. Still... I'll probably wait for my iPad for myself to play it. This would be a lot better if there was cloud storage of your save such that you could use both devices to play the same save. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

I'm confused by this marketing strategy -- why would I buy an iPhone-only version, if the iPad version is universal? I mean, right now I only have an iPhone anyway, but unless the iPhone version offers something that the iPad version doesn't, it would be dumb to close off the option for later. I'll just wait for the iPad version to go on sale for 99 cents again if that's the case.

To the 2 or three of you that requested I add you to my gamecenter(here or at the board game board) I sent requests. Anyone else that wants to can feel free to add me under the name MSIMagus. I also have open feint of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchewy']Has anybody with a Mac used this? Some of the reviews say it's keyboard doesn't have keys like the command key, when used with a Mac. Is that still true or an old comment? I've been using RemoteTap which I actually really like, but which unfortunately seems to have been abandoned and there's no universal version nor separate iPad version. Now that I'll be getting an iPad I want something that has full iPad support. If Jump Desktop isn't a good choice for this, would like to hear about others that might be. Note that I want to be able to use it both locally for our Macs at home, but also remotely for helping my Mom and sister when needed.[/QUOTE]

I've never used that one. The one I use is Remoter, and it's pretty good. I use it locally at work (to use it externally I'd probably have to tweak the network and I don't think they would allow me).

At home I use it both locally and externally (I connect from work to the computer at home, neet). The app is universal and it only costs $0.99 (they have in-app purchases for other things like SSH support, etc, but I've never tried it).

And to all of this, Remoter uses VNC, which comes built in with the Mac (you have to install something if you are under Windows), so you just have to enable it in System Preferences > Sharing and put some other info and that's it.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/remoter-remote-desktop-vnc/id369626098?mt=8

By the way, if you read their description, it says that it's on sale, but the thing is that it has been $0.99 since December. No clue if they will raise it at some point, tho.

http://appshopper.com/productivity/remoter-remote-desktop

[quote name='MSI Magus']To the 2 or three of you that requested I add you to my gamecenter(here or at the board game board) I sent requests. Anyone else that wants to can feel free to add me under the name MSIMagus(might have a space between MSI and magus instead). I also have open feint of course.[/QUOTE]

I sent you a request. You seem to have made it without the space, so MSIMagus.

Retro Revolution 2 has dropped to free:
http://appshopper.com/games/retro-revolution

So has Hero Princess:
http://appshopper.com/games/hero-princess

I have RR2 from a previous time it went for free and it's decent. Nothing great, but good for a diversion, especially for free. I haven't tried Hero Princess, but will check it out for free.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']I've never used that one. The one I use is Remoter, and it's pretty good.[/QUOTE]

For 99 cents I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='Azuvidexus']I've never used that one. The one I use is Remoter, and it's pretty good.[/QUOTE]

For 99 cents I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='illennium']Has anyone had this happen? My iPhone crashed during a software update and the only way to fix it was to restore and re-download all my apps. When I re-downloaded, most of my apps gave me the "you've already paid for this" screen, but a few did not. The ones that did not were Plants vs. Zombies, Monster Mayhem, Slingo Supreme, and Cut the Rope. I got my latest iTunes store receipt and I got charged for all of these even though I'd paid for them before. I don't know why this happened - did I screw something up? Should I call Apple's iTunes Store customer service? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Do you still have your old receipts to show Apple that you paid for them the first time?

There is what looks to be a horrid game called BootyDance free right now. Its worth running in your app search just to laugh that this game exists. The same company also makes a game called SpermVille

[quote name='outphase']Do you still have your old receipts to show Apple that you paid for them the first time?[/QUOTE]

I usually delete receipts, but I am looking in the iTunes Store purchase history, and I can't figure out the logic of it. I have purchased probably 100 paid apps and downloaded another 200 free ones, but my entire purchase history shows only a total of maybe 50 apps. I don't understand why some are in there and others aren't. For example, I have all three Angry Birds apps, but none appears in my purchase history.

[quote name='illennium']I usually delete receipts, but I am looking in the iTunes Store purchase history, and I can't figure out the logic of it. I have purchased probably 100 paid apps and downloaded another 200 free ones, but my entire purchase history shows only a total of maybe 50 apps. I don't understand why some are in there and others aren't. For example, I have all three Angry Birds apps, but none appears in my purchase history.[/QUOTE]

You sure there isn't multiple pages you aren't seeing? All of my app purchases are in my account history, including free ones, and I have purchased/dled roughly the same amount of apps you have.

each receipt will be listed in your purchase history, not apps. Each receipt will list every single game you purchased on that receipt.

I do understand the receipt/app distinction. I looked through all 4 pages of receipts, and most of the apps I've purchased are missing. For example, in my purchase history there are no receipts for February 2011, even though I downloaded lots of apps that month. I even have email receipts for apps that do not appear in my order history. I googled this problem and it does appear that others have had similar problems but resolved them by logging out and then logging back in to the iTunes Store. However, that's not working for me. I sent an email to customer service to try to figure out what's going on. If that doesn't work I will call them. Thanks for the help so far - I appreciate it.

The puzzler Skeleton Key is currently available for FREE.
"You are a treasure hunter who has acquired the keys to countless treasure chests. You must travel into the forest, through the caves, across the beach, and onto the pirate ship in search of treasure!
Skeleton Key is an addictive and unique puzzle game in which you shift keys around the board unlocking treasure chests. You move keys LEFT, RIGHT, or DOWN by swiping the screen, and all keys move at the same time. Be careful though, you might get stuck and have to restart the level!
Things get more complicated with doors and door switches. Moving a key over a door switch opens all the closed doors and closes all the open doors, so even with incredibly simple rules, the game gets very tricky."

[quote name='Bioterror']anyone have any experience with quickoffice, and what kind of files can a web browser like mercury download?

Thank You[/QUOTE]

Ive used QuickOffice, Documents to Go, and Office2(my favorite and best bang for buck). I really didnt like QuickOffice and Documents to Go was too expensive for what it offered versus Office2

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id350399839?mt=8

And I am pretty sure you can download anything in Atomic Browser/Mercury and then just sentd the files to Dropbox for use(At least in atomic you can I believe)

[quote name='jacknicklson']Ive used QuickOffice, Documents to Go, and Office2(my favorite and best bang for buck). I really didnt like QuickOffice and Documents to Go was too expensive for what it offered versus Office2

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id350399839?mt=8

And I am pretty sure you can download anything in Atomic Browser/Mercury and then just sentd the files to Dropbox for use(At least in atomic you can I believe)[/QUOTE]

Biggest problem I would have with Office2 is that it isn't iPad native or universal.

[quote name='danhoo']On the desktop in iTunes, under iTunes Store, scroll to the bottom of the page. There should be a circular flag in the lower right corner. Click on it, and pick the store country you want to use. Remember to switch this back when needed. Also, I believe if you synch your device in iTunes, it caches whichever store you are currently using in iTunes onto the device's App Store app (but I haven't really verified this).[/QUOTE]

Just remember that once you switch to Japan iTunes, instead of registering, first click on an app that is free, which then takes you to a register new account.

The difference is that one requires a credit card, the other doesn't.

And it is true...you want to use a different e-mail for Japan iTunes, so if you are on your iPad and you need to update applications (for US and Japan), on your iPad, it will require you to login on both accounts.

The only thing is that if your last log on was iTunes Japan, certain games...for the online purchasing store, you will see the dollars changed to Yen. But all you need to do is that when you resync or going iTunes music store, go to the US version, log on and everything will be back ala US again.

Very easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back