iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

Finger Physics: Finger Fun is the new main FAAD offering.
"Finger Physics is the chart-topping finger lovin' phenomenon that has swept the App Store!
- Downloaded more than 5 million times!
- Loved by fingers everywhere!
- Continuous updates for free!"

Another physics-based game, Gluonia, is the highlighted freebie on Great App a Day.
"Welcome to Gluonia the physics based puzzle game.
Your goal is to help the Gluons back to their spaceship before it is to late! All they want is to go home to Gluonland and start a Gluon cluster (and perhaps some spin)! Who knows...
At your disposal you have construction material like beams and stone blocks to bridge any obstacle in their way. But beware of their evil adversaries…"

Hudriks has dropped to FREE for the first time.
"Take part in the adventure of Hudriks as they take on the challenge of saving the world.
- Amazing graphics and animation
- Exclusive music and sound design
- And tons of fun"

A Universal app, the mobile version of Guitar Pro is FREE for one day only (April 5) but the price has already changed in the App Store. Save yourself $5 and take your GP content with you on the go!
"As a mobile player tie-in to Arobas Music’s famous tablature software package, Guitar Pro for iPod touch/iPhone/iPad is the ideal companion for you to read and play your scores any time, anywhere!
Guitar Pro for iPod touch/iPhone/iPad carries the software's newest features in terms of notation, and offers accurate visual and audio rendition of your Guitar Pro scores."

Does anyone know of a way to track price changes on in-app purchases? I'm currently keeping itunes shortcuts for the apps I want, and it's cumbersome.

[quote name='Brian234']Does anyone know of a way to track price changes on in-app purchases? I'm currently keeping itunes shortcuts for the apps I want, and it's cumbersome.[/QUOTE]

www.appshopper.com

Do a search for whatever game. They show most, if not all, price history updates.

[quote name='Liveforlaughs76']He's asking for in-app purchases. I don't believe appshopper updates those?[/QUOTE]

If I'm not wrong AppShopper does not track IAP prices.

Doodle Army 2 is currently available for FREE.
"Experience intense multiplayer combat with up to 4 players online or locally in Multiplayer mode. Train with the Sarge and sharpen your skills in offline Training and Survival modes.
You too can enjoy the thrills of spewing hot lead and making swiss cheese of your opponents! Hear the whiz of bullets flying past your face as you tumble for cover. Out smart the enemy with a well placed grenade and watch them explode into bloody confetti. What? Your still not satisfied? Ok then finish it of by repeatedly squatting on your opponents remains and wildly firing into the air. Victory is yours, its all waiting for you! Just press the buy button!"

Bubble Bubble 2
is also FREE right now.
"The inspiration of Bubble Bubble 2 came from deep-sea fish and bright Neon Concept look good together. The pretty Neon fish need to survive, and raise it bigger!
To survive, dodge yourself with accelerometer to run away from evil fishes coming after you.
Yet the game is simple, it is so catchy and works well for killing time."

[quote name='Liveforlaughs76']He's asking for in-app purchases. I don't believe appshopper updates those?[/QUOTE]

In-app? No. That's too much to ask for. They have to monitor several thousand apps as is.

Do in-app prices change all that much for items to be tracked?

[quote name='mtxbass1']In-app? No. That's too much to ask for. They have to monitor several thousand apps as is.

Do in-app prices change all that much for items to be tracked?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure someone said that about the apps in general before appshopper was what it was. It's inevitable that someone does this. There probably just isn't an easy way to check these things. Apple doesn't do a good job and list in App Purchases well on the web site.

[quote name='mtxbass1']In-app? No. That's too much to ask for. They have to monitor several thousand apps as is.

Do in-app prices change all that much for items to be tracked?[/QUOTE]

Don't think so, the only case I know (or at least was advertised) was Baseball Superstars 2011, the free version and they lowered the IAP to full to 99c.

It looks like Gangstar: Miami Vindication will be on sale tomorrow for $.99. I don't know much more info. As someone posted last week, Gameloft said it was going to be on sale for $.99 but didn't say when. I was just on Touch Arcade and saw posted that during a trailer for another game, a box popped up saying Gangstar was going to be on sale April 6th. Here's the link to the source: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=89785. I'm excited. Just have to clear up some space on the 'ol iPhone.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Don't think so, the only case I know (or at least was advertised) was Baseball Superstars 2011, the free version and they lowered the IAP to full to 99c.[/QUOTE]

It's a bit of a catch 22. Devs do not discount DLC/IAP because it doesn't get them higher in rankings or more attention. It doesn't give them more attention because not as many places promote/track price reductions. No one makes a tracking service because devs don't discount products much.

I've seen a number of in-app purchase prices change recently. One was the iSWiFter in-app purchase raised from $1 to $3, so since they did that, it's entirely possible they could lower it. Sometimes IAP go free (Pac-man Championship) or are discounted (Bit.Trip Beat). Also, some apps are moving to the freemium model (Sacred Odyssey HD is free, then $7 IAP for full game).

So, there would be value in tracking these changes (I know I'm interested), it's possible to be done, therefore it's likely we will see it at some point.

I picked up that LiveSketch HD app when it was, I believe, free a while back, but I only started messing with it today. Has anyone else tried it? If yes, do you find it a bit freaky like me? I don't know... it just seems weird, but here is a sketch I did after messing with the app for a few minutes.

[quote name='Kush']I picked up that LiveSketch HD app when it was, I believe, free a while back, but I only started messing with it today. Has anyone else tried it? If yes, do you find it a bit freaky like me? I don't know... it just seems weird, but here is a sketch I did after messing with the app for a few minutes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I downloaded it when it was free as well. It's one of my favorite apps. I think the auto shading creates sort of a creepy/freaky effect.

[quote name='jason506']Assuming it's not an april fools joke Gangstar: Miami Vindication will be dropping down to 0.99 soon so don't buy it at full price.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='mightymek']It looks like Gangstar: Miami Vindication will be on sale tomorrow for $.99. I don't know much more info. As someone posted last week, Gameloft said it was going to be on sale for $.99 but didn't say when. I was just on Touch Arcade and saw posted that during a trailer for another game, a box popped up saying Gangstar was going to be on sale April 6th. Here's the link to the source: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=89785. I'm excited. Just have to clear up some space on the 'ol iPhone.[/QUOTE]

The sale is already live. Some people are pointing out on iTunes review that the game crashes.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']The sale is already live. Some people are pointing out on iTunes review that the game crashes.[/QUOTE]

Sigh not on hd version

[quote name='Azuvidexus']The sale is already live. Some people are pointing out on iTunes review that the game crashes.[/QUOTE]
Yep, every single review from Apr 5 says it crashes. So I might buy it in a couple hours or tomorrow, but I probably won't download it anytime soon.

I just downloaded Gangstar Miami, loaded it up, and played the first mission with no crashes or anything so far. I am running it on a 16gb 3GS. So I don't know why all the reviewers are having so many issues..

Perfect Cell By Mobigame
Perfect Cell is ON SALE (80% OFF) for a limited time! @ $0.99, from $4.99.

Play as the most advanced creature ever discovered on Earth. You are trapped in a high security submarine base and you must use your superpowers to escape from this hostile environment; dodge lasers and AK-47 bullets, solve puzzles to progress and try to survive the many other dangerous and deadly traps. Play through an original story that uniquely combines the best of action and infiltration games . Use intuitive, multi-touch gameplay; play as up to 3 Cells on the same screen, dash through the air with a swipe gesture or cut off your enemies’ heads with a ‘draw and dash’! Use your mind to find your way out covertly or, if you prefer, use fast-paced action gameplay to kill every scientist and soldier in your path. You are the Perfect Cell!

Tiki Totems 2 is once again being featured on FAAD.
"Tiki Totems 2 is a sequel to the critically acclaimed Tiki Totems Premium - 4+ star average across over a million downloads cannot be wrong!
Experience the second chapter in the Tiki Totems saga and become a savior of the Tiki village once more. Help the worshippers across a campaign spanning 3 game modes with over a hundred hand-crafted, unique levels.
Use the in-game editor to create your own levels and share them with other players - best levels will be added via updates to the game."

Captain Bombom is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"It happened in a supposedly happy vacation. Captain Bombom left front
fort R-69 (frontier outpost base R-69) for the space station. On the way,
he found an unknown planet that was under Octopus Aliens' assault.
"I don’t think this beautiful blue planet can make it till the Space Guards
come!!!" Therefore, Captain Bombom put on his blasting equipment and
then got ready to stop the evil Octopus Aliens."

Cooking Dash By PlayFirst, Inc.
Now on SALE for 80% off for a limited time! @ $0.99, from $2.99.

Cooking Dash delivers fast-paced, addicting fun that is optimized for playing on-the-go. Keep customers happy by prepping everything from burgers and fries to sushi and dumplings. Tap and slide to seat customers, serve up hot dishes, and collect big tips! Help our heroine Flo keep five DinerTown restaurants up and running... if you can stand the heat!

Gangstar certainly isn't playable for me on a 4g iPod. Closed out 3 times during the opening scene and another 2 times during the first mission..

Has anyone else noticed anything strange after the latest iOS update? When I went to synch my Touch the other night, iTunes said it was "installing" every app on the Touch. Seeing as I had over 900 titles on there, that literally took all night. Furthermore, at the end of the process, there was a message saying that not all of the apps could be installed because "there were errors." Great. Thinking that all my games had been replaced and re-set, I randomly checked a few titles that I know my kids have been playing lately. Everything seemed to be okay; paused games were still paused and levels achieved were still intact. Whew. Thinking that the Touch was an isolated incident, I synched my Phone last night. Same thing happened. I have far fewer apps on the Phone, but it still took awhile and I still got the "error" message at the end. Everything appears to be okay but I haven't checked every single title yet. Anyone else have this experience? I also noticed some of the games I deleted from the Touch last night are still on there. Stranger and stranger . . .

I have experienced some of this (error msgs and reappearing of deleted apps). Everything else seems to working okay though.

I have had the deleted apps from itunes reappearing issue for months now.

I will uncheck a bunch of apps and when the sync is done, they are all thrown onto the last page. Havent experienced the other issues though

i can confirm that this game crashes on my ipad

[quote name='jacknicklson']I have had the deleted apps from itunes reappearing issue for months now.

I will uncheck a bunch of apps and when the sync is done, they are all thrown onto the last page. Havent experienced the other issues though[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've had the same thing happen. What's strange is, when it does happen it's usually just a few apps, and not all the extra apps on my computer. I've never had apps get deleted though.

Also, cheek out the link in my sig, a chance to win iTunes gift cards, from me.

[quote name='devil_blog_dracula']Hahaha! I used to carry my B&W Game Boy around in a sock. Glad to know that means of protection is timeless![/QUOTE]

still use a sock for my psp as well.

I bought the iPad version of Gangstar: Miami Vindication and will hope that an update to fix it is out by the time I get my iPad. Also downloaded Tiki Totems 2 for free, even though I never played much of Tiki Totems 1. Hmm.

Got the iPhone version of Miami, doesn't worko. Not sure if I should bother trying the iPad one, as the 'high-res' graphics won't matter in terms of how uggo it is. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back