iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

iPad question: How is Angry Birds Rio compared to Angry Birds? Rio is only $2.99 compared to Angry Birds $4.99. Why though? A lot less levels or something?

[quote name='Maklershed']iPad question: How is Angry Birds Rio compared to Angry Birds? Rio is only $2.99 compared to Angry Birds $4.99. Why though? A lot less levels or something?[/QUOTE]

Of course its got less levels since it just came out, but they will add more later. My guess as to why their charging less is they figured 2.99 would sell more. I personally think Rio is the best Angry Birds out there right now.

[quote name='jason506']Of course its got less levels since it just came out, but they will add more later. My guess as to why their charging less is they figured 2.99 would sell more. I personally think Rio is the best Angry Birds out there right now.[/QUOTE]
Do you think it's worth it to pay extra for the iPad version or just use the iPhone version at 2x?

^ Pixelogic is probably the best. PixelCross is slightly inferior, but cheaper at the moment.
I strongly recommend PathPix, though. It's a deviation on the theme -- you make squiggly lines with numbers on them instead of watching the grid's borders -- but it's really really good.

Was there an app by the Game Dev Story people for ipad that you managed different floors of buildings? Or was that coming, or by someone else? I thought I saw something a few months ago on toucharcade or something. Thanks!

[quote name='LuisRM']Was there an app by the Game Dev Story people for ipad that you managed different floors of buildings? Or was that coming, or by someone else? I thought I saw something a few months ago on toucharcade or something. Thanks![/QUOTE]

No. On iOS they have only released Game Dev Story and Hot Springs Story.

http://kairopark.jp/iphone/en/

[quote name='ViolentLee']^ Pixelogic is probably the best. PixelCross is slightly inferior, but cheaper at the moment.
I strongly recommend PathPix, though. It's a deviation on the theme -- you make squiggly lines with numbers on them instead of watching the grid's borders -- but it's really really good.[/QUOTE]

Noticed a 3D version of Picross in the app store titled Pixross. However, it only has small puzzles. I think 6x6x6 is the biggest size.

Thanks

[quote name='ViolentLee']^ Pixelogic is probably the best. PixelCross is slightly inferior, but cheaper at the moment.
I strongly recommend PathPix, though. It's a deviation on the theme -- you make squiggly lines with numbers on them instead of watching the grid's borders -- but it's really really good.[/QUOTE]

good call on pathpix very cool.

Doodle Egg is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Drop the egg into the basket - if you can! Use springs, boards, pulleys, and portals to get the egg into the basket in this fun physics game.
FEATURES
- Simple and fun gameplay
- Realistic physics
- 30 challenging levels
- Level editor: ability to create and share levels with friends
- OpenFeint supported"

Superblox: Power Unleashed! is supposed to be featured on FAAD on Tuesday, but it's already dropped to FREE.
"WARNING: This is NOT your Grandma's puzzle game! Superblox is a fast and furious game filled with exciting super powers, deadly enemies and cool blocks!
SUPERBLOX™ is easy to pickup but simultaneously challenging and fun! The multiples game modes add a lot of variety and replay value!"

[quote name='Dimsdale']Doodle Egg is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Drop the egg into the basket - if you can! Use springs, boards, pulleys, and portals to get the egg into the basket in this fun physics game.
FEATURES
- Simple and fun gameplay
- Realistic physics
- 30 challenging levels
- Level editor: ability to create and share levels with friends
- OpenFeint supported"

Superblox: Power Unleashed! is supposed to be featured on FAAD on Tuesday, but it's already dropped to FREE.
"WARNING: This is NOT your Grandma's puzzle game! Superblox is a fast and furious game filled with exciting super powers, deadly enemies and cool blocks!
SUPERBLOX™ is easy to pickup but simultaneously challenging and fun! The multiples game modes add a lot of variety and replay value!"[/QUOTE]

You're the best :lol:

Thanks for those recommendations. I grabbed the lite version of PathPix and that definitely seems like a keeper. Going to buy that later today. I will get the lite version of Pixelogic in a bit, but the screenshots look good. Do you know of any color Picross games for iPad?

I searched for, but couldn't find PixelCross?

EDIT: one bad thing about PathPix - it seems to ignore the volume setting and be maximum volume no matter what. You can shut the sound off in-game, but it's full volume or nothing. Hopefully that either isn't a problem in the full version or will be fixed. I tried rebooting too, but it made no difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, Espgaluda II plays *great* on the iPad 2. Of course I wish it was native/universal, but as far as how it plays, it's even better on the iPad 2 due to your finger getting in the way (even) less and being able to see the shot patterns better. I still suck at it, but it's fun. I do hope they put out a universal update at some point. I also have Dodonpachi Resurrection, but haven't tried it on my iPad 2 yet, but it's probably safe to assume that it will also work great. I did try M. Bug Panic and even that plays well.

[quote name='crunchewy']Thanks for those recommendations. I grabbed the lite version of PathPix and that definitely seems like a keeper. Going to buy that later today. I will get the lite version of Pixelogic in a bit, but the screenshots look good. Do you know of any color Picross games for iPad?

I searched for, but couldn't find PixelCross?

EDIT: one bad thing about PathPix - it seems to ignore the volume setting and be maximum volume no matter what. You can shut the sound off in-game, but it's full volume or nothing. Hopefully that either isn't a problem in the full version or will be fixed. I tried rebooting too, but it made no difference.[/QUOTE]
PixelCross is an iPhone app only. Maybe you're filtering for iPad apps? I too am looking for the holy grail of picross apps - iPacross looks VERY good, but I can't justify the $4.99 to try it out.

[quote name='crunchewy']FYI, Espgaluda II plays *great* on the iPad 2.[/QUOTE]
+1 (using iPad 1)
It's a bit more difficult to activate your abilities since you hold an iPad differently than you would an iPhone, but still a great experience.

-Edit-
The controls would be perfect on iPad if they implemented hold two fingers for guard and three for awakening.

I should note that when I was asking about "color Picross" game, I meant the variant of these puzzles where the blocks are colored. So you have runs of colors, not just runs of consecutive blocks, and you end up with a color picture that way. For example, in an alternate name Pic-a-Pix:

http://www.gamesgames.com/game/Color-Pic-a-Pix.html

Is there such a game for the iPad? I've searched, but haven't found one.

Also, I'm not a fan of timed picross games. Picross is, for me, a relaxing game, so I don't want a timer, especially not a count-down one.

[quote name='LuisRM']Was there an app by the Game Dev Story people for ipad that you managed different floors of buildings? Or was that coming, or by someone else? I thought I saw something a few months ago on toucharcade or something. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Nope, it's called The Tower and was by another company.

http://appshopper.com/games/the-tower®

Reiner Knizia's Kingdoms has dropped to .99 for the first time.
"Kingdoms is a clever tile-laying game by top eurogame designer, Reiner Knizia. In a medieval kingdom, you must scout out resources and hazards to decide where to build your mightiest castles. Commit too soon and you might discover a tribe of ogres right next door, but commit too late, and your opponents will grab up all the real estate!"

[quote name='Dimsdale']Reiner Knizia's Kingdoms has dropped to .99 for the first time.
"Kingdoms is a clever tile-laying game by top eurogame designer, Reiner Knizia. In a medieval kingdom, you must scout out resources and hazards to decide where to build your mightiest castles. Commit too soon and you might discover a tribe of ogres right next door, but commit too late, and your opponents will grab up all the real estate!"[/QUOTE]

The only games I have bought at full price are board games...and every time I buy one it drops 2 or 3 days later ;(

I've got a quick question. What would be the best camera app out there for an iPod Touch 4G? I guess the iPhone has a flash on it, can't say I knew that, so I'm not looking for one that does anything like that. I've read some reviews of some of the free camera apps and some of the paid ones and was wondering what some of you ITT thought.

If there isn't anything better than what comes on the iPod, then I guess I don't need anything. Can any of the apps get better pics, or is the graininess when zooming and stuff just part of dealing with the type of camera that is in there?

[quote name='EYEL1NER']I've got a quick question. What would be the best camera app out there for an iPod Touch 4G? I guess the iPhone has a flash on it, can't say I knew that, so I'm not looking for one that does anything like that. I've read some reviews of some of the free camera apps and some of the paid ones and was wondering what some of you ITT thought.

If there isn't anything better than what comes on the iPod, then I guess I don't need anything. Can any of the apps get better pics, or is the graininess when zooming and stuff just part of dealing with the type of camera that is in there?[/QUOTE]

Personally I like Camera+ app and its still on sale for $.99.

http://campl.us/
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id329670577?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

There are alot of modes one of them takes burst shots, also since it does not save automatically to your photo album you can take shots quicker then review which one you like and send it to your album.

R.K.'s Kingdoms is a good game and worth 99 cents, but it has no sound at all and no option for multiplayer at all. No online, not bluetooth/wifi, no pass-and-play. Still it's worth that price as it's another good R.K. game and it's (otherwise) well implemented, if a bit spare looking. Also the dev somewhat recently updated a couple of their games to have sound and is promising it for all their games. Also eventually we'll get pass-and-play multiplayer, as they are promising that as the next set of updates for their games. The AI is pretty good in Kingdoms and it's a universal app, so it's still a worthwhile purchase, especially at 99 cents.

[quote name='crunchewy']I should note that when I was asking about "color Picross" game, I meant the variant of these puzzles where the blocks are colored. So you have runs of colors, not just runs of consecutive blocks, and you end up with a color picture that way. For example, in an alternate name Pic-a-Pix:
[/QUOTE]

Ask and you shall receive

http://appshopper.com/games/color-cross-hd

I have the original iPhone version, but haven't yet picked up the HD version. I don't know if the puzzles overlap at all. Also, based on the screenshots, it doesn't look like there are any gigantic levels like the iPad would be able to do. I think that Color Cross has the best interface of any Picross game I've played on the iPhone.

iPhone:

http://appshopper.com/games/color-cross

Animal Color Cross:

http://appshopper.com/games/animal-color-cross

[quote name='Shimrra']Personally I like Camera+ app and its still on sale for $.99.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id329670577?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

There are alot of modes one of them takes burst shots, also since it does not save automatically to your photo album you can take shots quicker then review which one you like and send it to your album.[/QUOTE]
I went to your first link and they certainly make it sound good. I guess I'll give it a shot.
I wish the iTouch 4G had a flash though. I wonder why the new iPhone has one and the Touch doesn't?

[quote name='Shimrra']Personally I like Camera+ app and its still on sale for $.99.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id329670577?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

There are alot of modes one of them takes burst shots, also since it does not save automatically to your photo album you can take shots quicker then review which one you like and send it to your album.[/QUOTE]

I have Camera+ as well, and I like it, though I'm not entirely convinced that, at least in most cases, it really takes significantly better pictures than the built-in camera app. I tried comparing photos that I took with its digital zoom to ones taken with the one in the built-in camera app, and though there were some minor differences, I'd be hard-pressed to say that the Camera+ shots were any better (despite their claims that their digital zoom "blows away the competition"). It does go up to 6x while the built-in app stops at 5x, however (but you'll get a largely unusable photo).

On the plus side, though, it has a number of features that make it better than the built-in app -- grid lines on the screen which can help with composition, separate focus and exposure (in practice, I haven't seen this make a huge difference in most shots, but that may just be the particular situations that I've taken pictures in), several shooting modes (in addition to the already mentioned burst mode, there's also a timer mode and a stabilizer mode that uses the gyroscope to sense when the camera is still -- though sometimes the stabilizer can be a bit too sensitive and just refuse to take a photo at all). It also has a lot of built-in editing functions -- some more useful than others, but still nice to have. All in all, I'd say it's well worth 99 cents.

The one thing that I've found frustrating with it is that it sometimes takes it a significant amount of time to save pictures to the "lightbox" (the internal storage within the app where it saves pictures), and for at least part of that time, you can't take another shot. I know there is a delay with saving pictures to the photo album from the built-in camera app as well, but sometimes this one seems significantly longer.

You guys understand how a digital zoom works, right? It's effectively just cropping the photos. No software app will improve the hardware resolution of the camera. The best they could do is interpolation which will just make pixelated images appear blurrier.

[quote name='crunchewy']FYI, Espgaluda II plays *great* on the iPad 2. Of course I wish it was native/universal, but as far as how it plays, it's even better on the iPad 2 due to your finger getting in the way (even) less and being able to see the shot patterns better. I still suck at it, but it's fun. I do hope they put out a universal update at some point. I also have Dodonpachi Resurrection, but haven't tried it on my iPad 2 yet, but it's probably safe to assume that it will also work great. I did try M. Bug Panic and even that plays well.[/QUOTE]

I think ESP plays fine on the iPad, but have to disgree about bug panic, at least for me. The virtual pads are too far in on the screen making it uncomfortable for me to play. If they could be adjusted just a little bit it would be much better.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']You guys understand how a digital zoom works, right? It's effectively just cropping the photos. No software app will improve the hardware resolution of the camera. The best they could do is interpolation which will just make pixelated images appear blurrier.[/QUOTE]

You're right, of course (and yes, I knew that), but when a program claims to have a digital zoom that "blows away the competition" (their own words, from their website), I expect it to use better interpolation algorithms or something similar to improve the quality of the shot over what the standard app does. If it's not going to be better, they shouldn't claim that it is. Especially not with such a strong claim.

The VOID has dropped to FREE for the first time.
"The VOID is an exciting space based role playing game. You begin the game as an insignificant space pirate, but you rapidly gain power as you eradicate your enemies. Find hundreds of weapons and equipment items to improve your odds and buy any bigger and more powerful ships. The realistic space physics and combat will keep you challenged while the search for new items will keep you addicted."

[quote name='Thrakker']Ask and you shall receive

http://appshopper.com/games/color-cross-hd

I have the original iPhone version, but haven't yet picked up the HD version. I don't know if the puzzles overlap at all. Also, based on the screenshots, it doesn't look like there are any gigantic levels like the iPad would be able to do. I think that Color Cross has the best interface of any Picross game I've played on the iPhone.
[/QUOTE]

Awesome! I do wish it had larger puzzles, but this is a start. Maybe there's some in there that aren't obvious from the screenshots. I will find out. Thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='crunchewy']I should note that when I was asking about "color Picross" game, I meant the variant of these puzzles where the blocks are colored. So you have runs of colors, not just runs of consecutive blocks, and you end up with a color picture that way. For example, in an alternate name Pic-a-Pix:

http://www.gamesgames.com/game/Color-Pic-a-Pix.html

Is there such a game for the iPad? I've searched, but haven't found one.

Also, I'm not a fan of timed picross games. Picross is, for me, a relaxing game, so I don't want a timer, especially not a count-down one.[/QUOTE]

I am *exactly* the same way. I've tried 4-5 different various Picross games on iPhone/iPad and haven't been happy with any of them either due to timer, lack of the puzzle looking like anything, lack of color or just super crap controls.

Let me know if you find your game, it sounds like it could be for me, heh.

This is an app question:

There is a game on Android called Wordzup that is like Wordsworth or Bookworm that has a letter grid (3x3, 4x4, etc) where you drag a line between letters to create words. However the letters don't disappear after they are used. Reminds of a combination of Wordsworth and Word Warp.

Anyway, the game is called Wordzup and I was hoping to find something like it for iPad. So if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Here is a link to the game:
http://www.appbrain.com/app/wordzup/com.ant.wordfind.client

Thanks

[quote name='Blade3D']This any good? I am a fan of the Lego Star Wars game on 360, not really a Harry Potter fan.[/QUOTE]

It's a great game. I might be a little biased since I AM a Harry Potter fan, but I think the gameplay is fun for anyone, fan or not. I've put nearly 12 hours into it and I've barely gotten to half of the game's content according to my stats. Worth $5 for that alone, $3 is a steal.

Hopefully this one doesn't crash under 4.3+ like Gangstar: Miami Vindication :p

347gocl.jpg

Hey fellas, new to buying stuff at the app store. When you buy stuff you get individual charges right? Im not seeing any emails for my purchases.

Wow, this will be the first time a Gameloft Asphalt game for iPad has been $.99 (the lowest any has been is $4.99). Thanks for the heads up.

I really hope they fix Gangstar Miami soon. I don't see the "report a bug" option in iTunes anymore, I just left negative feedback and a note that it crashes in under a minute.

[quote name='lito88']Hey fellas, new to buying stuff at the app store. When you buy stuff you get individual charges right? Im not seeing any emails for my purchases.[/QUOTE]
Receipts are generally consolidated at the end of the day or some time during the next day.

I can't wait for Asphalt 6 to go on sale... Thursday seems so far away now! I've been playing the heck out of Death Rally and have been looking forward to another fun arcade style racing game.

[quote name='zillionandnine']It's a great game. I might be a little biased since I AM a Harry Potter fan, but I think the gameplay is fun for anyone, fan or not. I've put nearly 12 hours into it and I've barely gotten to half of the game's content according to my stats. Worth $5 for that alone, $3 is a steal.[/QUOTE]

I am not a Harry Potter fan but my 8yo son is, so I'm in for this. Actually even though I'm not a fan of HP I am a fan of video games so I'll be playing too, thanks.

Also I'm in for Asphalt 6 when it goes on sale, part 5 was good but I've only played the iPhone version, surprised both versions are going on sale at the same time.

iStunt 2 – Insane Hills is being featured on FAAD right now.
"Hit the slopes for some serious shredding in the most fun snowboarding game ever created! To survive you will have to perform impossible stunts, dodge deadly saws and do incredible jumps in a world where gravity laws have been broken!
Combining outstanding physics, amazingly responsive controls and beautiful retina graphics, iStunt 2 - Insane Hills is one of the most fun and original games on the App Store.
With loads of exciting and devilishly tricky levels, iStunt 2 - Insane Hills guarantees you many hours of fun."

Iceberg Alert is the current Free App Calendar game.
"SIMPLE TO LEARN
Use the accelerometer to tilt and dodge incoming icebergs. It’s simple and so easy to learn even a caveman can do it!
DIFFICULT TO MASTER
Iceberg Alert is just one of those games that is extremely easy to learn and get into, but extremely difficult to achieve the ultimate score. It takes endless hours of practice, and you’ll be able to track all your high scores quite easily."

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back