iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='roninld']This is an app question:

There is a game on Android called Wordzup that is like Wordsworth or Bookworm that has a letter grid (3x3, 4x4, etc) where you drag a line between letters to create words. However the letters don't disappear after they are used. Reminds of a combination of Wordsworth and Word Warp.

Anyway, the game is called Wordzup and I was hoping to find something like it for iPad. So if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Here is a link to the game:
http://www.appbrain.com/app/wordzup/com.ant.wordfind.client

Thanks[/QUOTE]

These games are all clones of Boggle. Boggle actually does what you want, where the tiles don't disappear. However, Boggle started as a board game and I heard it isn't as good on the iPad where it doesn't have the polish of more mature apps:

http://appshopper.com/games/boggle-for-ipad

If you don't mind apps for the iPhone blown up for use on the iPad I have both of the following and both are great:

http://appshopper.com/games/quordy
http://appshopper.com/games/wurdle

Actually EA's Boggle for iPad is pretty good. It's Boggle. It doesn't have online, but if you just want a Boggle game, well, it's Boggle and it's well implemented. I got it when it went free or 99 cents or something a short while back. I'm glad I have it and it looks and plays great on the iPad.

Color Cross HD is fitting the bill for a color pic-a-pix/picross game, but it isn't perfect. The game plays fine and it has cute sound effects, but there is no option to turn off the "hints". That is, when you place an errant color it gives this jarring jiggle effect and says a minute is added to your time and then it corrects it for you. Let me make a freakin' mistake and figure it out on my own, please! That's part of the puzzle and not having it autocorrect makes it more challenging. Often times I make a mistake not because I was wrong about what goes in a space, but because I had the wrong tool selected. Somehow when this happens that jiggle effect is even more obnoxious.

Still, it is, as far as I can tell, the only color picross game on the app store and the puzzle type itself, and the puzzles in this game, are good. So I still do recommend it. The color variant is more fun IMHO. I hope they add an option to turn off hints in an update.

EDIT: one other issue with this game - the two buttons for selecting pen/x are a bit unresponsive, which also leads to "errors". Also, the game may or may not be supported. There's not been any updates since release. Hopefully some other dev will take up the color picross flag.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have school-aged kids who aren't exactly the greatest spellers (or if you need a little help yourself), you may want to investigate Spelling Drills. It's dropped to FREE for the first time.
"This spelling app. was developed by a Mom who was looking for an easier way to study spelling. It's not a fancy game, it's just a way to help your child memorize how to spell words correctly. If you have suggestions or need help, contact [email protected]. All e-mails will be responded to! For detailed step by step instructions go to the supporting website: www.myspellingdrill.com. Your positive ratings help pay for continued updates and improvements.
The Spelling Drill app. has over 1200 words split into different levels. These words are high frequency words that are used everyday and are often the basis of the spelling program at schools. These word lists include words from the Dolch word list and from the Sitton Spelling program. You choose the level (level 1 is a good start for 1st grade etc.). Then, from the list of words, you choose the words to study. Specific Dolch word lists are presently being added - will be available by mid-March!"

FYI, Pilot Wings just got a pretty big update and now includes the "Checkpoints" mode in the free version. This mode is *way* better then the one that was included for free originally. It will give you a better idea of whether the game is worth it to you. It's a universal app, which is nice, and now has 4x antialiasing on the iPad 2. Also includes some more new modes in the fully unlocked (i.e. paid unlock) version. Also some sort of new ropes thing, but I haven't tried the update so don't know what that is. Maybe just decorations? I don't know. I wish Tiny Wings would get a universal update....

EDIT: Also, Angry Birds Seasons update for Easter some time next week and... in the future (maybe summer) cross-device syncing of game progress in the AB's games! That might get me to buy the HD version of at least the original. http://toucharcade.com/2011/04/12/r...seasons-easter-update-cross-game-sync-coming/

[quote name='espy605']These games are all clones of Boggle. Boggle actually does what you want, where the tiles don't disappear. However, Boggle started as a board game and I heard it isn't as good on the iPad where it doesn't have the polish of more mature apps:

http://appshopper.com/games/boggle-for-ipad

If you don't mind apps for the iPhone blown up for use on the iPad I have both of the following and both are great:

http://appshopper.com/games/quordy
http://appshopper.com/games/wurdle[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crunchewy']Actually EA's Boggle for iPad is pretty good. It's Boggle. It doesn't have online, but if you just want a Boggle game, well, it's Boggle and it's well implemented. I got it when it went free or 99 cents or something a short while back. I'm glad I have it and it looks and plays great on the iPad.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestions. I think my wife will enjoy these. She stood in line with me for an iPad 2 so I figure she deserves some games of her own :)

[quote name='crunchewy']FYI, Pilot Wings just got a pretty big update and now includes the "Checkpoints" mode in the free version. This mode is *way* better then the one that was included for free originally. It will give you a better idea of whether the game is worth it to you. It's a universal app, which is nice, and now has 4x antialiasing on the iPad 2. Also includes some more new modes in the fully unlocked (i.e. paid unlock) version. Also some sort of new ropes thing, but I haven't tried the update so don't know what that is. Maybe just decorations? I don't know. I wish Tiny Wings would get a universal update....http://toucharcade.com/2011/04/12/r...seasons-easter-update-cross-game-sync-coming/[/QUOTE]
When did you get the update? I actually play Pilot Winds more than Tiny Wings now because I really like the Checkpoints timeline/progress meter that's implemented in PW. I've earned all but one of the bonuses but I haven't received any updates, yet. More modes of play would be fun, too.

[quote name='Dimsdale']When did you get the update? I actually play Pilot Winds more than Tiny Wings now because I really like the Checkpoints timeline/progress meter that's implemented in PW. I've earned all but one of the bonuses but I haven't received any updates, yet. More modes of play would be fun, too.[/QUOTE]

I saw the update yesterday evening.

[quote name='pROvIs']I saw the update yesterday evening.[/QUOTE]
That's weird. I played PW for quite a while last night. I'll double-check the updates for my phone again. Thanks!

In other news, Blaster Tank just received an update and a corresponding price drop. . .to FREE (for "a very limited time" of course).
"✓ beautiful X-PLOSIVE FX
✓ authentic battlefield SOUND DESIGN
✓ frenetic, fast-paced GAMEPLAY
✓ super-tight CONTROL SCHEME
★★★★★
✓ 30+ dangerous ENEMY TYPES
✓ 8 unique TANK CANNONS
✓ 6-level cannon UPGRADE SYSTEM w/ VISUAL CHANGES
✓ 5 ultra-realistic ENVIRONMENTS
✓ full GAME CENTER LEADERBOARDS and ACHIEVEMENTS
✓ stage MODE and survival MODE"

[quote name='iowaholdem']World of Goo hits the iPhone on Thursday![/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'm excited for this-- At 99 cents for day one purchase, I'm in.

[quote name='roninld']Thanks for the suggestions. I think my wife will enjoy these. She stood in line with me for an iPad 2 so I figure she deserves some games of her own :)[/QUOTE]
Wurdle is the best of the bunch. It's the only one that supports grids greater than 4x4 (if you've ever played Boggle Master, 4x4 just doesn't cut it). My whole family grew up playing Boggle (and then Boggle Master when the kids of the family got a little older), whenever they spot my iPad they grab it to play either Wurdle (most played), Chicktionary, Bookworm, or WordStorm (alright word game, not my fav).

Death Rally is a game you should buy at $1. Decent but not impressive. Will suck the hour and a half it takes to complete from you and then you'll be sick of it.

[quote name='CONMAN999']Does anyone know if World of Goo will support older models, particularly 2nd gen Touch. Thanks[/QUOTE]

No, unfortunately. Only 3GS and up. More and more big games are supporting only newer generation devices (I think every Gameloft release and probably other major publishers from now on will not support "legacy" devices). Anything that uses the Unreal Engine or uses newer versions of OpenGL won't work on older devices. I think even the previously mentioned Death Rally won't support a 2G.

As a 2G owner who can't afford to upgrade, that sucks. But there's still thousands of other games and plenty coming out that are still supporting it.

[quote name='Cimpy101']Thanks! I'm excited for this-- At 99 cents for day one purchase, I'm in.[/QUOTE]

Will the iPad version be on sale as well?

[quote name='lunasicc']Will the iPad version be on sale as well?[/QUOTE]

I would like to know this as well, if so I will pick it up.

[quote name='Blade3D']I would like to know this as well, if so I will pick it up.[/QUOTE]
The 2dBoy site says to purchase the HD version for 4.99 if you want the universal app but does not mention another sale for it...just says the iphone version will be on sale for .99 for the first 24 hours.

[quote name='zeb06']The 2dBoy site says to purchase the HD version for 4.99 if you want the universal app but does not mention another sale for it...just says the iphone version will be on sale for .99 for the first 24 hours.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense I guess. Wished they would lower the iPad version again. I missed the last one due to not having an iPad at that time.:cry:

Gameloft has some iPad games on sale

Brothers in Arms 2 HD is on sale for .99

Shrek Kart is .99

Real Golf 2011 HD is .99

The game's pages say Uno HD, Spider-Man: Total Mayhem HD, The Settlers HD, Iron Man 2 for iPad, Dungeon Hunter HD, Real Tennis HD, Brain Challenge HD, Star Battalion HD, & Prince of Persia: Warrior Within HD are also on sale, but they aren't showing the sale price. So maybe they just haven't changed yet.

I know this isn't an app but Amazon has the Fling Joystick for 17.99. Sold by another seller but fulfilled by Amazon so it qualifies for Prime Shipping. Its $2 off which is the lowest I've seen it. Heard nothing but good things about it. Just ordered it with 2-day shipping + no tax so $17.99 even.

If anyone wants a Fling, I have an extra one that's brand new and currently listed on Amazon. I'd rather sell it to a CAG and avoid Amazon fees, $16 paypal and I'll ship it 1st class. Just PM me

[quote name='gsrjedi']Gameloft has some iPad games on sale

Shrek Kart is .99

Real Golf 2011 HD is .99

The game's pages say Uno HD, Spider-Man: Total Mayhem HD, The Settlers HD, Iron Man 2 for iPad, Dungeon Hunter HD, Real Tennis HD, Brain Challenge HD, Star Battalion HD, & Prince of Persia: Warrior Within HD are also on sale, but they aren't showing the sale price. So maybe they just haven't changed yet.[/QUOTE]

Hope they add Dead Space. I missed out on the last one.

Shrek Kart is .99

Real Golf 2011 HD is .99

The game's pages say Uno HD, Spider-Man: Total Mayhem HD, The Settlers HD, Iron Man 2 for iPad, Dungeon Hunter HD, Real Tennis HD, Brain Challenge HD, Star Battalion HD, & Prince of Persia: Warrior Within HD are also on sale, but they aren't showing the sale price. So maybe they just haven't changed yet.[/QUOTE]

They revised what the game's page says now, and the other games haven't dropped unfortunately. Looks like these are all we get. Any of them worth picking up?

[quote name='Decker']They revised what the game's page says now, and the other games haven't dropped unfortunately. Looks like these are all we get. Any of them worth picking up?[/QUOTE]

Shrek Kart is a great Mario Kart clone. I like it a lot. Dunno about the others.

I know it was asked before, but no confirmation. How is Settlers HD, especially on the iPad? I think the only bummer I've seen is it doesn't have a free play mode.

[quote name='Karuto']I know it was asked before, but no confirmation. How is Settlers HD, especially on the iPad? I think the only bummer I've seen is it doesn't have a free play mode.[/QUOTE]
My buddy and I both got it on our iPad 2's when it was last on sale. The tutorial was the best part of the game because when it took the guides off it was freaking annoyingly monotonous. Build this thing but you cant use it because you didnt make a person capable of using it and so forth. The game is okay but way to involved for me. If I really got into it I might feel different. My buddy has put over 20h into it and he really likes it.

Shrek Kart is .99

Real Golf 2011 HD is .99

Those have been on sale since I got my iPad about a month ago. I think the jargon left over was from the iPad 2 Launch sale. FYI The Settlers HD and Star Battalion HD were .99 for the longest time as well but it looks like they were raised.

Edit: nevermind it looks like The Settlers HD is still .99

http://appshopper.com/games/the-settlers-hd

Also looks like Hollywood: The Director's Cut is still on sale. Anyone know if this one is any good?
http://appshopper.com/games/hollywood-the-directors-cut-hd

The Shrek Kart HD listing says all of these are on sale for 99 cents:

UNO™ HD
Spider-Man: Total Mayhem HD
Shrek Kart ® HD
The Settlers HD
Real Golf 2011 HD
Brothers In Arms® 2: Global Front HD
Iron Man 2 for iPad
Dungeon Hunter HD
Real Tennis HD
Brain Challenge™ HD
Star Battalion HD
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within HD

Does Shrek Kart HD have online mutiplayer or is it local only? Can local mutiplayer be played between the iPad and iPhone versions?

[quote name='crunchewy']The Shrek Kart HD listing says all of these are on sale for 99 cents:

UNO™ HD
Spider-Man: Total Mayhem HD
Shrek Kart ® HD
The Settlers HD
Real Golf 2011 HD
Brothers In Arms® 2: Global Front HD
Iron Man 2 for iPad
Dungeon Hunter HD
Real Tennis HD
Brain Challenge™ HD
Star Battalion HD
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within HD

Does Shrek Kart HD have online mutiplayer or is it local only? Can local mutiplayer be played between the iPad and iPhone versions?[/QUOTE]

Again this is old. This is from the launch of iPad 2, they never updated it.

Ah. Does Shrek Kart HD have online multiplayer? I thought it did, but I don't see it mentioned in the listing. I presume not, then, but would love to be proven wrong.

Also, while not a game, mSync for Facebook has gone free. Some reviewers complain that it doesn't actually work, but I just tried it and seems to work fine. It shows all your Facebook albums, which you can view, and lets you upload albums from your iPhone photo library, creating a new album or upload to an existing album. At first I didn't think it let you choose which photos to upload, but you can do this by creating a Facebook album (in the app), then going into that album and uploading photos. You can then check mark photos from your library that you want to upload and it will upload them. It lets you set the privacy of the albums too. Seems like it will come in handy. It supports multitasking/background uploading too, and I verified that it works. Unfortunately not universal. Maybe in an update?

http://appshopper.com/social-networking/facebook-photos

[quote name='RollingSkull']Death Rally is a game you should buy at $1. Decent but not impressive. Will suck the hour and a half it takes to complete from you and then you'll be sick of it.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, i bought this at 5 bucks a week ago and even though i'm annoyed it dropped to 3 bucks I feel i've got my moneys worth. Its universal and they already released an update with new weapons and a car. I started playing on the ipad, but was a bit painful so i switched to the iphone, it looks great on both, and supposedly also optimized for ipad2.

[quote name='Alcedes']I disagree, i bought this at 5 bucks a week ago and even though i'm annoyed it dropped to 3 bucks I feel i've got my moneys worth. Its universal and they already released an update with new weapons and a car. I started playing on the ipad, but was a bit painful so i switched to the iphone, it looks great on both, and supposedly also optimized for ipad2.[/QUOTE]

I love the game, I think it is a ton of fun and well worth $4.99 let alone the $2.99 I payed for it.

[quote name='crunchewy']"Dish Break +" has gone free.

http://appshopper.com/games/dish-break-2

This is right in RollingSkull's wheelhouse. ;-)

Seriously, though, I downloaded it. I might even try it.[/QUOTE]

Downloaded it and will probably play it once before deleting. I didn't like fruit ninja much.

Dish Break + is a crappy variant on Fruit Ninja. Or at least that's my take in the two minutes I tried it. I didn't really like Fruit Ninja either, so this one is getting the axe from me. If you like Fruit Ninja, though, you might get some enjoyment out of it. I don't know.

Scrap Metal has dropped from $2.99 to $0.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/scrap-metal/id403330233?mt=8)

"Drift around corners with guns blazing and take out legendary competitors in this fast-paced, top-down racing game.

- 4 different game modes on 5 different tracks each.
- Universal Binary that supports iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
- Retina Display support for 4th generation iPod touch and iPhone 4.
- Game Center leaderboards support, so you can compete with your friends.
- 5 Game Center Achievements to earn."

EDIT: I was posting this based on the decency of the XBLA version, but apparently the iOS controls suck. An update with new controls is in review though...

I'd be up for Scrap Metal if they do fix the controls. I liked the demo pretty much on XBLA, but never bought it. 99 cents is a lot more appealing... if they can get good controls in there. EDIT: apparently there's supposed to be a lite version now with the fixed controls, but it's not really there yet. I'll definitely grab the lite version once it's out. The 99 sale on the full version is good through the 20th.

Forgot to mention this earlier but Reiner Knizia's Kingdoms and Labyrinth are on sale for $0.99. Both are universal apps.

http://appshopper.com/games/reiner-knizias-kingdoms

http://appshopper.com/games/reiner-knizias-labyrinth-hd

Also, MSIMagus mentioned earlier Fluke Hd is $0.99 but I wanted to second it. It's a basic old school board game like sorry with a bit more strategy but not much. I had a blast over the weekend with it and 4 of my board game buddies. Not a ton of depth but simple and a lot of laughs. Well worth the cash.

http://appshopper.com/games/fluke-hd

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Hopefully this one doesn't crash under 4.3+ like Gangstar: Miami Vindication :p

347gocl.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Seems that the sale is LIVE.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/asphalt-6-adrenaline/id400973408?mt=8
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/asphalt-6-adrenaline-hd/id400975931?mt=8

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back