iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='mang9432']hm, world of goo hd still showing up as 4.99 for me.[/QUOTE]

The universal version remains $4.99. It's the non-universal iPhone/iPod touch version that has an intro price of 99 cents. EDIT: err... I do seem recall them saying it would drop. Maybe just a matter of time?

Rooms: The Main Building (universal) is on sale for 99 cents! This looks like a pretty cool puzzle game:

http://appshopper.com/games/rooms-the-main-building

I purchased it. EDIT: and the game seems pretty cool so far.

Also the Lite version of Scrap Metal is out with the option of button controls. I've briefly tried it. Seems OK, though I'm not sure about it. The shooting is automatic and seemingly really slow (the shooting). Did seem fun, but I need to try the lite version more before I decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr Pepper and Marvel are doing a promotion for Thor where you can get a free month subscription to Marvel Comics.

Just did and it works great on the iPad! Plus, you don't have to put in any credit card info. It will expire automatically after the month. Or you could pay a $1 for an extra month. For those that want to check out digital comics for a month for free:
http://www.drpepper.com/promotions/THOR/?cmpid=dp_dpnwsltr10_em

Let me know if this is the wrong place to post this. Figured it was app related.

[quote name='roninld']Dr Pepper and Marvel are doing a promotion for Thor where you can get a free month subscription to Marvel Comics.

Just did and it works great on the iPad! Plus, you don't have to put in any credit card info. It will expire automatically after the month. Or you could pay a $1 for an extra month. For those that want to check out digital comics for a month for free:
http://www.drpepper.com/promotions/THOR/?cmpid=dp_dpnwsltr10_em

Let me know if this is the wrong place to post this. Figured it was app related.[/QUOTE]

Not really sure how this works. Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited is the subscription service and isn't compatible with iPad because it is a flash website. Marvel does have an App you can download but no subscription options only buy a comic at a time. How did you get this to work?

[quote name='Darknuke']Zenonia is on sale for .99 cents from 2.99. Great game

http://appshopper.com/games/zenonia[/QUOTE]

I'll second that, I picked it up on the last sale and it's really well done and alot of fun.

[quote name='crunchewy']The universal version remains $4.99. It's the non-universal iPhone/iPod touch version that has an intro price of 99 cents. EDIT: err... I do seem recall them saying it would drop. Maybe just a matter of time?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought the universal was dropping to $2.99 at least? Guess I'll wait. I'd rather not get the iPhone version.

[quote name='pROvIs']Not really sure how this works. Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited is the subscription service and isn't compatible with iPad because it is a flash website. Marvel does have an App you can download but no subscription options only buy a comic at a time. How did you get this to work?[/QUOTE]

Dang ... you're right. I thought I had access from iPad app, but it was only some free comics I had downloaded.

Sorry about my confusion.

[quote name='roninld']Dang ... you're right. I thought I had access from iPad app, but it was only some free comics I had downloaded.

Sorry about my confusion.[/QUOTE]

NP. The day you can access it from iPad is the day I give them a credit card number. Reading it on my PC does not sound fun and the site doesnt even work well or rather practically unusable with android w/ flash.

The app for iPad is great but I'm not one for buy a comic at a time. I'd much rather have access to an all you can eat model.

[quote name='pROvIs']NP. The day you can access it from iPad is the day I give them a credit card number. Reading it on my PC does not sound fun and the site doesnt even work well or rather practically unusable with android w/ flash.

The app for iPad is great but I'm not one for buy a comic at a time. I'd much rather have access to an all you can eat model.[/QUOTE]

You could try it in iSwifter, but from my trial use of that app... I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's dog, doggity dog slow and choppy. Still, no harm in trying it since you can test it out for free (then IAP to unlock full use).

FYI, You Don't Know Jack, even the HD version, does not have mutiplayer. Seems kind of pointless. Or, rather, it seems that it's essentially a paid advertisement for the console and computer versions. From what I've read on toucharcade, the game actually suggests that you buy one of those to get multiplayer. Until it goes free, I'll pass. Heck, why no multiplayer even in the iPad version? Lame.

[quote name='crunchewy']You could try it in iSwifter, but from my trial use of that app... I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's dog, doggity dog slow and choppy. Still, no harm in trying it since you can test it out for free (then IAP to unlock full use).

FYI, You Don't Know Jack, even the HD version, does not have mutiplayer. Seems kind of pointless. Or, rather, it seems that it's essentially a paid advertisement for the console and computer versions. From what I've read on toucharcade, the game actually suggests that you buy one of those to get multiplayer. Until it goes free, I'll pass. Heck, why no multiplayer even in the iPad version? Lame.[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried in iSwifter. My experience with flash work arounds is that they work decent on video but don't work well for anything else. Unfortunately for us Marvel does not want you to be able to read comics from their digital unlimited service on your iPad. They have no incentive to make it easy and if anything have incentive to make it harder.

/endrant :p

Edit: Looks like iSwifter failed. Wouldn't even load the page. I just got a pop up that said "iSwifter was unable to load the game. If the problem continues, please try again later.

[quote name='crunchewy']You could try it in iSwifter, but from my trial use of that app... I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's dog, doggity dog slow and choppy. Still, no harm in trying it since you can test it out for free (then IAP to unlock full use).

FYI, You Don't Know Jack, even the HD version, does not have mutiplayer. Seems kind of pointless. Or, rather, it seems that it's essentially a paid advertisement for the console and computer versions. From what I've read on toucharcade, the game actually suggests that you buy one of those to get multiplayer. Until it goes free, I'll pass. Heck, why no multiplayer even in the iPad version? Lame.[/QUOTE]
From what I have read, the Windows version doesn't even have multiplayer.

edit: take that back. Limited to 2 players.

I've actually played the first one and it's pretty mind numbing. It'd be a better game if the background music wasn't an annoying 5-second loop played OVER and OVER and OVER. If you want a good iPhone/iPod Touch RPG, go with Across Age.

Also didn't care for Zenonia much. Seems to be all about grinding, and the controls aren't that great IMO. Bored me.

[quote name='pROvIs']Saw this on sale and tried it a bit on android in the past. Don't most people say that if you haven't played the first to just skip to the second?[/QUOTE]

If you skip to the second one, the ending of the first game is spoiled. So if you care about that, they are worth playing in order.

For all you iPadders out there, Secret of Lost Pyramid HD has dropped to FREE for the first time. It's a fun, albeit short, puzzler. Definitely worth a look for free.
"Ancient maya pyramid keeps its secrets. You have to help archaeologists to find the store treasures. To get there, you need to challenge ancient pyramid guards and win 41 jade stones fighting against them in the ancient card game."

[quote name='caltab']You can preorder the iPad arcade cabinet at gamestop now. It looks pretty cool, but costs 100 bucks.

http://www.gamestop.com/toys/accessories/icade-arcade-cabinet-for-ipad/90632[/QUOTE]

For $100 thats insane. I really do not understand why someone has not released a cheap controller for the Ipad though or released an app that lets you use the 360 controller. I mean you would think that most wired controllers could be made to function with it. While many games are great with the touch function there are just as many others that I find myself wishing I had a controller for!

[quote name='MSI Magus']For $100 thats insane. I really do not understand why someone has not released a cheap controller for the Ipad though or released an app that lets you use the 360 controller. I mean you would think that most wired controllers could be made to function with it. While many games are great with the touch function there are just as many others that I find myself wishing I had a controller for![/QUOTE]

I think the issue is that devs would have to program their app to use your controller. No one will buy the controller unless it has apps that use it and no one will program their app to use the controller if no one owns it. You would almost need a power player or apple themselves to release a solution.

As far as getting another controller to work with it, you'd have an easier time with the PS controller than the xbox as it is bluetooth. Once again you would have to have a dev actively make a game that supported this though and push it.

[quote name='MSI Magus']For $100 thats insane. I really do not understand why someone has not released a cheap controller for the Ipad though or released an app that lets you use the 360 controller. I mean you would think that most wired controllers could be made to function with it. While many games are great with the touch function there are just as many others that I find myself wishing I had a controller for![/QUOTE]

The fling joysticks are pretty solid.

http://tenonedesign.com/fling.php

[quote name='caltab']You can preorder the iPad arcade cabinet at gamestop now. It looks pretty cool, but costs 100 bucks.

http://www.gamestop.com/toys/accessories/icade-arcade-cabinet-for-ipad/90632[/QUOTE]

For those of you (and me) who don't want to support Gamestop, ThinkGeek also sells an iCade cabinet too (with a more retro graphic on the side) for the same price.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/e762/?pfm=Search&t=icade

Theirs also doesn't come out till June and they don't do pre-orders, but you can sign up for an email notification.

[quote name='pROvIs']How annoying easy are those to add/remove?[/QUOTE]

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they are held down via the suction cup things. Maybe not tho...

Guns N Glory(Universal) is Free

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gunsnglory/id385902072?mt=8

What would the Wild West have been without its charismatic villains? Boring! So take a walk in the cowboy boots of Billy the Kid, Jesse James or Butch Cassidy to become a real, low-down bad guy! Form your own gang by recruiting cool cowboys, crazy bandits and brave Indians. Take up a smart, strategic position and lie in wait at the canyon to ambush settlers, stagecoaches and the gold train. Rain bullets, lead and flaming arrows down on the pious pioneers! If your victims look like they might escape, set off in pursuit to stop them from alerting the Sheriff! Once you have bagged more than a fistful of dollars, you'll be able to afford cannons and even steam trains fitted with Gatling guns to completely wreak havoc on your victims!

Features:
- defense strategy game with mobile units
- Wild West scenario
- Zoom function
- Upgrade bandits to 3 levels
- Guns, flaming arrows, dynamite and cannons
- 10 types of enemies and units
- Auto balancing for saddle-weary or brave gunslingers
- High Noon online highscore function
- 10 leaded levels
- Bonus chests for gold nuggets and power-ups

The Wild West on your iPhone / iPod touch or iPad!

Full iPad support for pure HD pleasure!

Got an email from Chillingo about a sale:
Microïds Games Sale: Sale on all Microïds adventure games! Lasts from Thursday April 14 - Monday April 18. Prices dropped for BOTH iPhone/iPod touch & iPad!
Dracula: The Path of the Dragon - Part 1: $1.99 --> $0.99
Dracula: The Path of the Dragon - Part 2: $1.99 --> $0.99
Dracula: The Path of the Dragon - Part 3: $2.99 --> $0.99
Jules Verne's Return to Mysterious Island: $2.99 --> $0.99
Jules Verne's Secrets of the Mysterious Island: $2.99 --> $0.99

Also received an alert that the action/RPG Illusia is on sale for $0.99. Anyone play it? The part of me that loved Popful Mail is tempted.
http://appshopper.com/games/illusia

Flame if necessary for this post, no harm intended. If anyone is waiting for or wanted an iPad 2, I ended up with an extra 32gb wifi white model. I have it on craigslist but I'd be open to letting it go to a good home with one of the folks here. Not trying to get rich on this but I ask that you cover the cost I paid and shipping. Let me know.

World of Goo is definitely World of Goo alright. Cant go wrong at .99. Fingers do get in the way a little bit though. Probably a better iPad app.

I see that Apple released iOS 4.3.2 today. Maybe that will resolve my on-going synch problems. It sure would be nice not to lose a day-and-a-half every time I try to synch my Touch.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Guns N Glory(Universal) is Free

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gunsnglory/id385902072?mt=8

What would the Wild West have been without its charismatic villains? Boring! So take a walk in the cowboy boots of Billy the Kid, Jesse James or Butch Cassidy to become a real, low-down bad guy! Form your own gang by recruiting cool cowboys, crazy bandits and brave Indians. Take up a smart, strategic position and lie in wait at the canyon to ambush settlers, stagecoaches and the gold train. Rain bullets, lead and flaming arrows down on the pious pioneers! If your victims look like they might escape, set off in pursuit to stop them from alerting the Sheriff! Once you have bagged more than a fistful of dollars, you'll be able to afford cannons and even steam trains fitted with Gatling guns to completely wreak havoc on your victims!

Features:
- defense strategy game with mobile units
- Wild West scenario
- Zoom function
- Upgrade bandits to 3 levels
- Guns, flaming arrows, dynamite and cannons
- 10 types of enemies and units
- Auto balancing for saddle-weary or brave gunslingers
- High Noon online highscore function
- 10 leaded levels
- Bonus chests for gold nuggets and power-ups

The Wild West on your iPhone / iPod touch or iPad!

Full iPad support for pure HD pleasure![/QUOTE]

One of my favorite iPod games. Don't miss this one!

[quote name='lito88']Oh ok, will i be charged per item or all at once?[/QUOTE]

They group a bunch together. I haven't noticed any pattern - it's like they decide to send out a email receipt whenever they get around to it.

[quote name='etcrane']Wow ... awesome, the latest iPad update just bricked my system and i have to do a factory restore ...[/QUOTE]

Ouch, sorry!
Out of curiosity, what is the process for something like this?

[quote name='etcrane']Wow ... awesome, the latest iPad update just bricked my system and i have to do a factory restore ...[/QUOTE]

You're not alone. Whenever I update my iphone or ipad, it totally screws up the system and I have to do a factory restore as well. I get the globe + USB image. I JB'ed my iphone, so I don't update anymore, and I just backed up my SHSH Blob for the ipad, even though that's not JB. I don't plan on doing anymore minor updates. Too much of a hassle.

[quote name='Jek Porkins']Ouch, sorry!
Out of curiosity, what is the process for something like this?[/QUOTE]

Should have muti-quoted. Sorry. Basically it restores it back to factory settings. If you're lucky you did a backup recently and can restore from it. It basically wipes your system clean and you have to reinstall everything. If you didn't back up, you have to set all the apps you want to sync, accounts, the whole deal. Couple hours easy.

Yeah, luckily I had backed it up ... but the last back up got screwed up, I'm thinking because I downloaded a bunch of stuff directly to the iPad and then synced. Luckily, even after the restore, the backup seems to be ok and most of it was stabilized. Only had to reinstall some apps and then sync again.

The nice thing in regards to lost Apps is that on the iPad it will tell you if you own it, unlike iTunes on the PC/Mac ... Apple really needs to do a major itunes overhaul and standardize some of these features.

The process wasn't too bad for the restore, basically hit restore and then use a backup image to rebuild it ... luckily I had that recent backup ... but it was still an unexpected pain. If I hadn't had it, things would have been alot worse. It did take quite a bit of time to do the full restore though, probably an hour to load everything back on.

[quote name='LuisRM']You're not alone. Whenever I update my iphone or ipad, it totally screws up the system and I have to do a factory restore as well. I get the globe + USB image. I JB'ed my iphone, so I don't update anymore, and I just backed up my SHSH Blob for the ipad, even though that's not JB. I don't plan on doing anymore minor updates. Too much of a hassle.[/QUOTE]

I had that problem after using firmware umbrella. When I tried to update i'd get an error 1600 or something like that. You have to put it in DFU before trying to update it or you'll get errors.

For iPad owners, what's the best word processing/office suite apps? Seems like most people prefer Pages by Apple but for $5 more, it looks like you can get a 3rd party suite with presentation and spreadsheet app included.

[quote name='TheRock88']For iPad owners, what's the best word processing/office suite apps? Seems like most people prefer Pages by Apple but for $5 more, it looks like you can get a 3rd party suite with presentation and spreadsheet app included.[/QUOTE]

I have pages, but never have used it really. I think I bought it the day it came out for some impulsive reason. Honestly, the iPad is a fun device and is great for surfing the web, but I personally would never use it for anything very productive. I'm sure it can be done though, just not by me.

[quote name='DtotheP']I had that problem after using firmware umbrella. When I tried to update i'd get an error 1600 or something like that. You have to put it in DFU before trying to update it or you'll get errors.[/QUOTE]

That's because Tiny Umbrella by default prevents your baseband from being updated. It does this by forcing that error message to pop up. You can change this by going into Advanced and unchecking the box dealing with your hosts file. I hated that it did this by default.

[quote name='TheRock88']For iPad owners, what's the best word processing/office suite apps? Seems like most people prefer Pages by Apple but for $5 more, it looks like you can get a 3rd party suite with presentation and spreadsheet app included.[/QUOTE]

I just got Documents to Go and it has been pretty good. I just wanted something to view powerpoints on and edit word documents all from my dropbox account. So far it has been good enough for quick edits.

I think the one I use is also Documents2Go. I like the I use because it syncs with Google Docs among other services.

has anyone tried any of the worms apps? which one is the best? i'm leaning towards worms 2 so i can use it on both my touch and ipad

One Single Life has been released for FREE.
"WARNING! IN THIS GAME, YOU GET JUST ONE LIFE.
Stop reading this and ask yourself one simple question:
“If everything was on the line, would I have what it takes?”
Welcome to One Single Life. A game which poses that very same question and a game which only 4% of players in the world will be able to finish.
Unlike most games, the challenge doesn't come from playing against the computer but against yourself. It's you versus your own self-doubts.
Do you have what it takes? Or will you psych yourself out at the vital moment? There’s only one way to find out.
Enjoy!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back