Is a PS Vita worth it?

NEWTS2012

CAG Veteran
Hey all, just had a quick question...
Do you think a PS Vita is good investment at this point in time???
I was looking at the game selection and Uncharted and the new Assassin's Creed interests me but outside of that I'm not sure what's coming down the pipeline...
I'm kinda on the fence about getting one right now but I just wanted to see the different opinions people have on it right now...

Thanks!

Gravity Rush doesn't get enough respect. It's very good, uses the Vita's features well, and is a unique game that isn't a port or an iteration of an existing console franchise.

AC Liberation is shaping up to be very good. Anyone who's been looking at getting a Vita might be wise to hop on the new AC bundle. For the price of the Vita you also get what will likely be one of it's best games and a memory card(a small one, but at least you will be able to save your games without spending any extra cash). It's a pretty solid bundle.

The Vita has a pretty decent number of good games, it's library is underrated. That being said, it is not supported as well as it should be so it is right to be a bit wary.

OP, please don't buy this system if you're doing it to "support" the Vita or some other ridiculous reason others have mentioned in this thread.

Buy a Vita for one reason: if you like the games and are going to play the games.

If you can experiment with the games before buying (in a store or demo kiosk) or pick one on the cheap knowing you won't lose much money by reselling it then go for it.

If you buy the system without any current interest in the games you will regret it and it will collect dust on your shelf.

The "perfect time to buy a console" is when it has must have games you are interested in, not to help create a player base for developers blah blah nonsense.

[quote name='antlp89']OP, please don't buy this system if you're doing it to "support" the Vita or some other ridiculous reason others have mentioned in this thread.

Buy a Vita for one reason: if you like the games and are going to play the games.

If you can experiment with the games before buying (in a store or demo kiosk) or pick one on the cheap knowing you won't lose much money by reselling it then go for it.

If you buy the system without any current interest in the games you will regret it and it will collect dust on your shelf.

The "perfect time to buy a console" is when it has must have games you are interested in, not to help create a player base for developers blah blah nonsense.[/QUOTE]
^What he said. Buy it when games you want are available, not when you think they'll soon be available.

I bought a 3DS last year and suffered buyer's remorse (owning a total of two 3DS games for the first year I owned it, since nothing else interested me). If I'd purchased a Vita, my buyer's remorse would have been even higher, since there are literally zero games I want for it, personally (the only ones that peak my interest are the ones that I'm already playing on PS2/PS3). I'm a big fan of Sony.. but only when they release quality products. :)

I just wanted to pop-in and point out something that bothers me when people say it:

"Buy a 3DS instead, Vita games are crap and 3DS has so many more great games!"

No. YOU may personally like more games that 3DS has over the Vita, but people have different tastes. Also, the belittling of the Vita's library in this thread is laughable. If you look at Metacritic, 3DS has 37 games with a score of 75 or better, while Vita has 29. That's only a difference of 8 games, and the 3DS has been out a whole year longer. So, no, 3DS does not have "way more" quality titles than Vita.

I have both, I love both. They're both good consoles and offer a variety of strengths/weaknesses. Software not being an issue for either of them!

Two more things:

1. 3DS has just as many ports as Vita, if not more.

2. Gravity Rush is the best portable game to come out in the past 5 years.

[quote name='poiuiu']You're right, I don't follow the industry and haven't for over a year. I essentially stopped when followings news became too much of a chore, gaming in general is headed in a different direction than I want it to, and most conversations relating to it invariably leads to pointless name-calling that goes nowhere. The most recent Keighley picture actually sums this up nicely.

Not gonna comment on Gamescon stuff since that's coming over eventually, but stuff like God Eater 2 and Valhalla Knights 3 (ha) sounds like support NamcoBandai had no choice to finish since they expected PSV to continue where PSP left off. Whether they'll continue to show support or not remains to be seen; this is especially the case when the PSV has only recently sold 1 million in its home territory. (japan and na sales is pretty much the only aspect of gaming I still follow). And Valhalla Knights is not a series to write home about, regardless of which system it comes out in.
And while it's technically support, don't give me drek like Muramasa. It wasn't good on Wii, it won't be any different on PSV.

E3 may not be relevant to gamers anymore, but it's still the biggest show gaming centric gathering featured in North America, and it's where Sony shows off stuff which gets reported to the casual customer, ie the people that keep the industry afloat, ie the people Sony needs to sell to. Sony already has their mid to biggest fans in the bag, they need to convince the general (smart phone owning) populous that the PSV is worth buying. And since I don't know Sony's habit of public relations (like most general consumers), I can only rely on E3.

I'd argue against GG no longer an A team to Sony (they were with KZ2), but considering their releases since KZ2, they're either incompetent or they were significantly downsized. If they were an A team, they'd have multiple teams in their wing and would have more titles in development at the same time. And neither do the sales numbers of their games seem to give the belief that they can remain a single large team (ie Polyphony).

Also Liverpool studio is gone; they're dead. Psygnosis and I go way back. Zipper is dead too. And considering Sony cutting back on internal development studios, I wouldn't be surprised Evolution will be next; their last few games bombed, even when they were bundled. And they're not one of Sony's A teams; nowhere close.

And I'm not gonna comment on Japan studio/s since they're all a clusterfcuk and have been the primadonnas of this generation.

Have you seen Declassified yet? It looks horrible AND it doesn't run at 60fps. The Wii's excuse for being this is its the effing Wii; what's PSV's excuse?. And it's not even a port down of the mainline games like what Treyarch does with the Wii versions of current gen CoD games either. It's telling that Treyarch, Activision's development sweatshop, can't be arsed to port Blackops 2 to PSV (a system made for cross system developement) when they managed to scrounged up a bunch of guys to port CoD 3, 5, 4, 7 to the Wii. I'm honestly surprised they're not porting BLOP2 to the Wii, or at least port Declassified; fit right at home. :)smug)

And really, have you seen Nihilistic's development history? If you have, look again.

But in the end, what I want from the PSV is support beyond a handful of years (especially at its price). And so far, it doesn't not too promising. I'd love to be wrong, however.[/QUOTE]

At least I had a disclaimer. =b Why do you speak so authoritatively, after admitting you don't follow the industry? >.<

The Gamescom stuff is the stuff for Western gamers, so ignoring those and looking at the Japanese-focused titles doesn't make much sense, IMO. And those might be the games to move units in Japan, because, to be honest, I don't know the Japanese market all that well. I know that if they had Monster Hunter, they'd sell exponentially more Vitas... I'd argue Muramasa is one of the best Wii games, period. And being a third party Wii game, it didn't sell all that well, so gamers get another chance to experience that beauty (and it will be hella beautiful on that OLED screen).

I disagree. The Vita isn't meant to compete with smartphones. It's not for that audience. The Vita is for gamers. As far as Sony's statements go, they seem mostly satisfied with the Vita's performance, sales-wise. It's the gaming press that tells us that the Vita is doomed. (Now, my opinion is that Sony should EXPAND that market, but clearly they're content with the core, based on all statements and marketing efforts, ie. PS: All-Stars ads).

Well, Guerrilla is reportedly working on 3 games right now, Killzone 4, Killzone Mercenary and something supposedly next-gen. Just a lack of knowledge there.

You weren't talking about live or dead studios at the time, you were talking about "A" studios. And prior to closing those up, those were indeed A studios, I'd say. Based on quality, anyway. The MotorStorm franchise does alright, and the quality in the games is definitely there, so I'd call Evolution an A studio. Perhaps you disagree, but I think the point is still valid, Sony is investing in the platform, they're putting respectable talent on Vita titles (and you did skip over Tearaway; which is an original IP, by Media Molecule, definitely an A studio).

Japan Studio in-house development hasn't been all that great, I'd agree, they haven't had anything good since SotC, except: Gravity Rush, which is the first Sony original IP on the platform, and was met with critical success. They've had one game in development hell, The Last Guardian, but they've still had a steady stream of games otherwise (mostly developed with other studios, like Pyramid and Level-5).

And, I'm not a COD hater, I buy it every year, but I have to admit, Declassified looks much like COD. Visuals are a little lacking, true, but the gameplay looks about the same. Just missing some spectacle, and if they add that in, they'll be fine. I'm not sure they will, after Burning Skies, but that's the one big difference right now. (And I'm not all that startled at the lack of 60fps, it's new hardware, they don't know how to develop for it. On the other hand, I don't care about 60fps, give me 30fps and a competent game instead.)

Nihilistic is dead, nStigate is born. =b And yes, I know their development history. Prior to the Sony published titles, I thought they'd made some alright stuff though. And they're not much getting an opportunity to succeed, I'd argue, rushed deadlines, MOVE hardware. Hope to see something original from them in the mobile space.

[quote name='Booyakz']At least I had a disclaimer. =b Why do you speak so authoritatively, after admitting you don't follow the industry? >.<

The Gamescom stuff is the stuff for Western gamers, so ignoring those and looking at the Japanese-focused titles doesn't make much sense, IMO. And those might be the games to move units in Japan, because, to be honest, I don't know the Japanese market all that well. I know that if they had Monster Hunter, they'd sell exponentially more Vitas... I'd argue Muramasa is one of the best Wii games, period. And being a third party Wii game, it didn't sell all that well, so gamers get another chance to experience that beauty (and it will be hella beautiful on that OLED screen).

I disagree. The Vita isn't meant to compete with smartphones. It's not for that audience. The Vita is for gamers. As far as Sony's statements go, they seem mostly satisfied with the Vita's performance, sales-wise. It's the gaming press that tells us that the Vita is doomed. (Now, my opinion is that Sony should EXPAND that market, but clearly they're content with the core, based on all statements and marketing efforts, ie. PS: All-Stars ads).

Well, Guerrilla is reportedly working on 3 games right now, Killzone 4, Killzone Mercenary and something supposedly next-gen. Just a lack of knowledge there.

You weren't talking about live or dead studios at the time, you were talking about "A" studios. And prior to closing those up, those were indeed A studios, I'd say. Based on quality, anyway. The MotorStorm franchise does alright, and the quality in the games is definitely there, so I'd call Evolution an A studio. Perhaps you disagree, but I think the point is still valid, Sony is investing in the platform, they're putting respectable talent on Vita titles (and you did skip over Tearaway; which is an original IP, by Media Molecule, definitely an A studio).

Japan Studio in-house development hasn't been all that great, I'd agree, they haven't had anything good since SotC, except: Gravity Rush, which is the first Sony original IP on the platform, and was met with critical success. They've had one game in development hell, The Last Guardian, but they've still had a steady stream of games otherwise (mostly developed with other studios, like Pyramid and Level-5).

And, I'm not a COD hater, I buy it every year, but I have to admit, Declassified looks much like COD. Visuals are a little lacking, true, but the gameplay looks about the same. Just missing some spectacle, and if they add that in, they'll be fine. I'm not sure they will, after Burning Skies, but that's the one big difference right now. (And I'm not all that startled at the lack of 60fps, it's new hardware, they don't know how to develop for it. On the other hand, I don't care about 60fps, give me 30fps and a competent game instead.)

Nihilistic is dead, nStigate is born. =b And yes, I know their development history. Prior to the Sony published titles, I thought they'd made some alright stuff though. And they're not much getting an opportunity to succeed, I'd argue, rushed deadlines, MOVE hardware. Hope to see something original from them in the mobile space.[/QUOTE]

I don't even know why you bothered. :lol:

His comments on Guerrilla Games alone just goes to show you that he has no idea what he's talking about. Since when did being able to have multiple titles in development decide whether or not you're a AAA studio? So I suppose that Naughty Dog only just became one since they've only just started doing this themselves? Also, what exactly does he think GG has released since KZ2? He acts like they've gone and released a metric ton of titles since then, but there's only been KZ3, and while some may not have liked it quite as much as its predecessor, no one will doubt its quality and polish. I thought it was a great game.

Also, Treyarch has no say in whether the Vita gets a port or something different where Blops 2 is concerned... And even if it was going to be a straight-up port, it wouldn't even be Treyarch handling it. This guy has no idea how this industry works, and after admitting so himself, I'm not even sure why he's posting on the boards at all. :roll:

Just take a look at my gamercard in my sig to see if my Vita was worth the purchase. How many PS3 games did I play before I got my Vita and how many I've played after buying the Vita? The Vita library is very quickly picking up steam. Just last week: Monkey Ball, Street Fighter x Tekken, and Zero's Escape was released. This coming Tuesday: Assassin's Creed: Liberation, Smart As, Need for Speed, Ragnarok Odyssey, and LEGO Lord of the Rings. Not to mention the PSN games that are being released as well.

Most of the people saying the library sucks already had their minds made up for them by the Internet hivemind or an early experience with it. There are also some clowns who are looking for the console experience with the Vita but also expects the Vita to deliver an even better experience because otherwise "there's no point getting a Vita if I can just play it on my console".

[quote name='Mixer236']I don't even know why you bothered. :lol:

His comments on Guerrilla Games alone just goes to show you that he has no idea what he's talking about. Since when did being able to have multiple titles in development decide whether or not you're a AAA studio? So I suppose that Naughty Dog only just became one since they've only just started doing this themselves? Also, what exactly does he think GG has released since KZ2? He acts like they've gone and released a metric ton of titles since then, but there's only been KZ3, and while some may not have liked it quite as much as its predecessor, no one will doubt its quality and polish. I thought it was a great game.

Also, Treyarch has no say in whether the Vita gets a port or something different where Blops 2 is concerned... And even if it was going to be a straight-up port, it wouldn't even be Treyarch handling it. This guy has no idea how this industry works, and after admitting so himself, I'm not even sure why he's posting on the boards at all. :roll:[/QUOTE]

You know, I'm not quite sure. >.< I guess the idea is, spread the knowledge? Rather than spew rage, I'd prefer if people became well informed and had their own opinions. And I think it's quite telling that they've only released that one game since. I think whatever they've got upcoming is going to be huge (fingers crossed for new IPs).

It is the publisher's choice, and in hind sight, there's another bit to contest; Why would Activision choose to port a game, instead of building a separate experience from the ground up? If I have to choose between a console or Vita, I'd always choose the console. The exclusive experiences are where the Vita shines. Exclusives moves hardware. Sony's shouldering at least part of the dev costs, we can assume.

[quote name='Usuyami']Just take a look at my gamercard in my sig to see if my Vita was worth the purchase. How many PS3 games did I play before I got my Vita and how many I've played after buying the Vita? The Vita library is very quickly picking up steam. Just last week: Monkey Ball, Street Fighter x Tekken, and Zero's Escape was released. This coming Tuesday: Assassin's Creed: Liberation, Smart As, Need for Speed, Ragnarok Odyssey, and LEGO Lord of the Rings. Not to mention the PSN games that are being released as well.

Most of the people saying the library sucks already had their minds made up for them by the Internet hivemind or an early experience with it. There are also some clowns who are looking for the console experience with the Vita but also expects the Vita to deliver an even better experience because otherwise "there's no point getting a Vita if I can just play it on my console".[/QUOTE]

Agreed on all fronts. I think the real goal is a console-like experience. Meaning, the graphical fidelity of a console experience, the reliable controls (anyone who own's a PSP should have an inkling of what that means), and just the depth of those experiences. The Vita is it's own machine though, and the added touch and motion controls actually work for it (unlike SixAxis). For Gravity Rush and LittleBigPlanet Vita, that meant something truly special, which couldn't be achieved on consoles.

And Vita owners are all going to have a back catalogue of games by the end of this season, which is AWESOME! =D

tl;dr Vita has games, and ports; so *does* (silly me) the 3DS.

Console-like quality/experience in a handheld is certainly not a bad thing. Only weirdo and fan boi( like most of the interweb) would assume the opposite .

Anyway, How is OP doing ? I pretty sure he stop reading after page #1 :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Hung_real']tl;dr Vita has games, and ports; so is the 3DS.

Console-like quality/experience in a handheld is certainly not a bad thing. Only weirdo and fan boi( like most of the interweb) would assume the opposite .

Anyway, How is OP doing ? I pretty sure he stop reading after page #1 :lol:[/QUOTE]

does*

True, probably didn't expect pages of debate from such a simple question.

I'm still around... I've been reading all the points/posts everyone is making really appreciate all the input and opinions everyone has... I honestly did not expect this amount of discussion but am pleasantly surprised...

I'm still currently on the fence but am leading towards a purchase at this point... I am really interested in the Assassin's Creed game and probably Uncharted and Gravity Rush... I think I will at least wait until the reviews for the AC game come out before making a move...

Just as an aside, another reason I am considering this purchase is that my fiance's new love for Netflix has pushed me off of the PS3 for extended periods of time hahaha...

I own a PSV, 3DS and SGIII.

Let me tell ya, I consider the 3DS it's own thing but a worthwhile investment.

The PSV has potential, aka it's missing things. It needs more games and it's expensive to start to own, no kidding. However, the downloadable library makes up for it, for now.

The SGIII kicks both their asses. Games are so much cheaper and the 5" screen... :D

[quote name='NEWTS2012']I'm still around... I've been reading all the points/posts everyone is making really appreciate all the input and opinions everyone has... I honestly did not expect this amount of discussion but am pleasantly surprised...

I'm still currently on the fence but am leading towards a purchase at this point... I am really interested in the Assassin's Creed game and probably Uncharted and Gravity Rush... I think I will at least wait until the reviews for the AC game come out before making a move...

Just as an aside, another reason I am considering this purchase is that my fiance's new love for Netflix has pushed me off of the PS3 for extended periods of time hahaha...[/QUOTE]

Remind me of this buy white Vita Asscreed bundle get 50$ best buy gift card

Decent price (at the moment) to get on the Vita boat :bouncy:

As someone who will get a Vita at some point, possibly as soon as tomorrow, with the AC3: Liberation bundle, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's opinions.

For me it's less about the games than it is about whether I want to shell out the money right now or wait until Christmas or the new year. There are plenty of games I would be interested in, like Wipeout, Hot Shots, Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Sound Shapes, LBP, AC3, Persona, Super Stardust Delta, Mutant Blobs Attack, Motorstorm, Escape Plan, Ragnarok Odyssey and a pretty healthy lineup of downloadable PSP games that I own, but have yet to finish (I would LOVE to play Peacewalker with dual analog sticks, for example).

The memory card nonsense has been the thing that has really held me back. I'm thinking I might get a Vita soon, then just purchase a 32GB card at or around Christmas. Until then a small card that can house my game saves and Peacewalker would suffice. Even a 4GB card might be enough for that...

2012 retail releases I've bought (most not at full price):

PS3 (1):

- Twisted Metal

X360 (7):

- Forza Horizon
- Borderlands 2
- Witcher 2
- Mass Effect 3
- Max Payne 3
- Star Wars Kinect
- Halo 4 (got it pre-ordered)

3DS (3):

- Kid Icarus
- New Super Mario Bros. 2
- Final Fantasy Theatrerhythm

Vita (13):

- MGS HD Collection
- Uncharted Golden Abyss
- Virtua Tennis 4
- Gravity Rush
- Mortal Kombat
- Blaze Blue
- Rayman Origins
- Wipeout 2043
- Little Deviants (got it for free with the early adopter bundle - wouldn't have bought otherwise)
- Little Big Planet Vita
- Silent Hill Book of Memories
- Katamari Damacy
- Ragnarok Odyssey (got the LE pre-ordered from amazon.ca)

--that's just full games, not counting DL games (mostly XBLA and Vita PSN games)

If Vita has nothing to play....then what do these people think of the other platforms on the market? It must suck not liking video games (or not having a way to play them or enough time).

The Vita is a actually quite a nice piece of hardware so the problem has been software and support related but that's been changing recently with new releases and support related development.

At the moment, I'd say if you own a PS3, it's a good idea to get a Vita since with the PS+ on board for both platforms, you get quite a bang for your buck. If you're like me and have a thing for PSone classics, there's no better way to play them than on the Vita and then there's the whole custom firmware thing that was cracked wide open not too long ago which allows you to play any PSP games you own(UMD) without having to double dip on the store.

Whether something is worth or not comes down very specifically to your wants and what you already have so consider the facts well and go from there.

[quote name='Booyakz']It is the publisher's choice, and in hind sight, there's another bit to contest; Why would Activision choose to port a game, instead of building a separate experience from the ground up? If I have to choose between a console or Vita, I'd always choose the console. The exclusive experiences are where the Vita shines. Exclusives moves hardware. Sony's shouldering at least part of the dev costs, we can assume.[/QUOTE]

I totally and completely agree with this. There are some titles that I like having for both(UMvC3 & MGS HD), but I love it when they take a certain franchise and do something different with it for the Vita/3DS version. It's one reason I'm so excited for AC: Liberation. I'll have something in the exact same universe to play at home and on the go, but both will be completely different experiences. I for one hope we see more of this.

[quote name='True Kronic']2012 retail releases I've bought (most not at full price):

PS3 (1):

- Twisted Metal

X360 (7):

- Forza Horizon
- Borderlands 2
- Witcher 2
- Mass Effect 3
- Max Payne 3
- Star Wars Kinect

3DS (3):

- Kid Icarus

Vita (13):

- MGS HD Collection
- Uncharted Golden Abyss
- Virtua Tennis 4
- Gravity Rush
- Mortal Kombat
- Blaze Blue
- Rayman Origins
- Wipeout 2043
- Little Deviants (got it for free with the early adopter bundle - wouldn't have bought otherwise)
- Little Big Planet Vita
- Katamari Damacy

--that's just full games, not counting DL games (mostly XBLA and Vita PSN games)

If Vita has nothing to play....then what do these people think of the other platforms on the market? It must suck not liking video games (or not having a way to play them or enough time).[/QUOTE]

This is extremely last minute, but do you know if bestbuy is stocking up on Rag Ody: Merc Edition? I can't find the standard or LE on their site. I might just buy it for full price from EB games but wanted to get a deal on it.

[quote name='True Kronic']2012 retail releases I've bought (most not at full price):

PS3 (1):

- Twisted Metal

X360 (7):

- Forza Horizon
- Borderlands 2
- Witcher 2
- Mass Effect 3
- Max Payne 3
- Star Wars Kinect

3DS (3):

- Kid Icarus

Vita (13):

- MGS HD Collection
- Uncharted Golden Abyss
- Virtua Tennis 4
- Gravity Rush
- Mortal Kombat
- Blaze Blue
- Rayman Origins
- Wipeout 2043
- Little Big Planet Vita
- Katamari Damacy

If Vita has nothing to play....then what do these people think of the other platforms on the market? It must suck not liking video games (or not having a way to play them or enough time).[/QUOTE]

Oh, oh let me join in! I will only narrow it down to 2012 retail releases besides the massive amount of PSN downloads (like tokyo jungle) and all the other games I bought that were on sale (but weren't released this year).

PS3 (10):
- Twisted Metal LE
- Starhawk LE
- Journey Collector's Edition
- Infamous Collection
- God of War Collection
- Ratchet & Clank Collection
- Jak and Daxter Collection
- Sleeping Dogs
- Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale (preordered)
- MoH:WF

3DS (0):
(I picked up my 3DS this year but the only game I got was super mario 3d land which came out in 2011)

DS(1):
-Black 2

Vita(4):
-WipEout 2048
-Uncharted: Golden Abyss
-LittleBigPlanet Vita
-(cross-buy for all-stars)
- Probably going to get Rag: Merc Edition if it pops up at bestbuy next week. I may pay full price @ EB games if theres a demo for it and I enjoy it.

PC(1):
- Rift

One thing to note is I just picked up a vita in the last week of September. My most played game would probably be ToM: Blitz, that game is for FREE and its amazing. Most of the retail games I bought this year was overwhelmingly on the PS3 (22 titles). Also alot more on PSN for the PS3. But I plan to get 2 titles for the vita today.

PS3 (1):

- Twisted Metal

X360 (7):

- Forza Horizon
- Borderlands 2
- Witcher 2
- Mass Effect 3
- Max Payne 3
- Star Wars Kinect

3DS (3):

- Kid Icarus

Vita (13):

- MGS HD Collection
- Uncharted Golden Abyss
- Virtua Tennis 4
- Gravity Rush
- Mortal Kombat
- Blaze Blue
- Rayman Origins
- Wipeout 2043
- Little Big Planet Vita
- Katamari Damacy

Your own game purchase list != a list of worthwhile releases. And oh yeah, everyone who doesn't want a Vita must hate video games. :roll: I could turn your argument against you and say "Wow, you only bought one PS3 game this year, despite the many great releases it's recently seen, so you must not like video games!"

You've done a great job encouraging my opinion that the majority of the Vita's appeal is in its PS2/PS3 ports, though, so I'll give you that. ;)

I just don't understand why Vita owners get so defensive when anyone criticizes the system. It's worse than when you call a closet homosexual gay...

Lists seem pretty pointless to me. It just tells what you bought based on your opinion (factors can include, sales, timing of the year, systems owned, and so on). For example, I don't see Dishonored on anyone's list. WTF! Haha, awesome game that shiets on most games released.

Conclusion: Purchase List= nothing but specific individual factors that influenced you to buy the game at the time of purchase.

Well, I just picked up the Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation bundle this morning. The white Vita (I prefer the white one over the black), AC3, a memory card that will serve for a little while to save games, and the $50 gift card was just too much to pass up. Couple this with Hot Shots and Wipeout that I picked up on sale at Staples, and I'm all set!

[quote name='Josh1billion']Your own game purchase list != a list of worthwhile releases. And oh yeah, everyone who doesn't want a Vita must hate video games. :roll: I could turn your argument against you and say "Wow, you only bought one PS3 game this year, despite the many great releases it's recently seen, so you must not like video games!"

You've done a great job encouraging my opinion that the majority of the Vita's appeal is in its PS2/PS3 ports, though, so I'll give you that. ;)

I just don't understand why Vita owners get so defensive when anyone criticizes the system. It's worse than when you call a closet homosexual gay...[/QUOTE]

What great PS3 releases? =S He's listing only retail titles, and off the top of my head, PS3 exclusives this year (because clearly he buys multi platform games on 360), I can only think of Twisted Metal and Starhawk (and collections). Most everything else was downloadable. So, I suppose you could "turn [his] argument against him, but it's a terrible argument. >.<

And of his list, there's 1 PS2 port, and 3 PS3 ports. If you're absolutely not interested in the other 9 games he listed, then indeed, the appeal of the Vita is ports. -.-

People are just trying to justify their purchase, whether they know it or not. Plus, trying to help other gamers make purchasing decisions, in this thread in specific. I'll criticize my Vita from here to Kalamazoo, but I can justify those criticisms, while most aforementioned criticisms of the Vita are unfounded.

Currently playing Zero Escape 2 on Vita and it is sweeeet! Get the Vita version if you have both a 3DS and Vita, it's the best version and 3DS has a save corruption bug.

[quote name='Lightthrower']Currently playing Zero Escape 2 on Vita and it is sweeeet! Get the Vita version if you have both a 3DS and Vita, it's the best version and 3DS has a save corruption bug.[/QUOTE]

Glad I ordered it on Vita... I thought so, the Vita might be the superior version out of the two.

[quote name='Josh1billion']I just don't understand why Vita owners get so defensive when anyone criticizes the system. It's worse than when you call a closet homosexual gay...[/QUOTE]

Oh, I have plenty of my own complaints with the system. My main problem is just when someone acts like one system is "so obviously" better than the other. That may be their opinion, but it's all subjective. I can't honestly pick one to be my favorite, but the Vita does get slightly more play time as(I know, I know) it has trophy support.

[FONT=&quot][quote name='Josh1billion']Your own game purchase list != a list of worthwhile releases. And oh yeah, everyone who doesn't want a Vita must hate video games.
clip_image001.gif
I could turn your argument against you and say "Wow, you only bought one PS3 game this year, despite the many great releases it's recently seen, so you must not like video games!"

You've done a great job encouraging my opinion that the majority of the Vita's appeal is in its PS2/PS3 ports, though, so I'll give you that.
clip_image002.gif

I just don't understand why Vita owners get so defensive when anyone criticizes the system. It's worse than when you call a closet homosexual gay...[/QUOTE]

First those are just full games released in 2012 - if I added previous year's games (especially after The Source clearance sales) and downloaded games every system would go up by a big amount, except 3DS (a couple of last years games and a couple downloaded games).

I only posted the list to show (unlike the majority of the internet) I'm not a cheerleader for anything. I have no alliance to any corporation (or religion, political party, etc.) and can't understand how most people will make up their mind about something without knowing anything about it, or making it seem like their opinion is the definitive solution.

If you don't like what Vita has to offer that's fine, but saying it has nothing to play is flat out lie. My list proves that if you can say "Vita has no games" then I can pretty much say that about any platform on the market because of my opinion.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Also, if Vita's ports don't count for anything, there goes a huge portion of 3DS's "good games" (and DS, GBA and PSP for that matter).
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And going with your closeted gay analogy, I guess the blind & biased Vita haters are the equivalent of a right winged Tea Party Christian conservative.

edit: how did the text get so small?
[/FONT]

[quote name='cheapbrokegamer']Lists seem pretty pointless to me. It just tells what you bought based on your opinion (factors can include, sales, timing of the year, systems owned, and so on). For example, I don't see Dishonored on anyone's list. WTF! Haha, awesome game that shiets on most games released.

Conclusion: Purchase List= nothing but specific individual factors that influenced you to buy the game at the time of purchase.[/QUOTE]

Ya there's a ton of games I'm gonna get cheap, Xcom, Dishonored, Tekken x Capcom, NFS Most Wanted, etc......

You're right about the purchase list just being someone's opinion.

[quote name='saikisen']This is extremely last minute, but do you know if bestbuy is stocking up on Rag Ody: Merc Edition? I can't find the standard or LE on their site. I might just buy it for full price from EB games but wanted to get a deal on it.[/QUOTE]

If you're asking me, I can't help you. I'd rather get it off the shelve's of Best Buy (instead of getting a damaged box from amazon) but the closest one to me is like over an hour drive.

This is interesting. I'm going to check my 2012 list:

3DS
1] RE: Revelations
2] Kid Icarus: Uprising
3] Mario Tennis Open
4] Tales of the Abyss
5] Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy
6] Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure
7] Kingdom Hearts 3D
8] New Super Mario Bros. 2

Wii
1] Rhythm Heaven Fever
2] Xenoblade Chronicles
3] Pikmin 2
4] The Last Story
5] Kirby's Dream Collection

PS3
1] Final Fantasy XIII-2
2] Jak & Daxter Collection
3] Ratchet & Clank Collection
4] Journey: Collector's Edition

1] Blazblue: Continuum Shift Extend
2] Mass Effect 3: Collector's Edition
3] The Darkness II
4] Lollipop Chainsaw
5] Devil May Cry HD Collection
6] SSX
7] Persona 4: Arena
8] Silent Hill Downpour
9] Max Payne 3
10] Doom 3: BFG Edition
11] Asura's Wrath

Vita
1] Gravity Rush
2] Lumines: Electronic Symphony
3] Touch My Katamari
4] Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
5] Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
6] Assassin's Creed: Liberation

PC
1] Binary Domain
2] Borderlands 2
3] Dishonored

Hmm... even though virtually all of these were purchased via sales or trades deals of some kind, the conclusion remains the same: I buy WAY too many games. If I added in downloadable or non-2012 titles purchased during this year, the list would easily triple.

I clearly have a problem... :p

I used to buy waaaaay to many games as well, mostly in the pursuit of gamerscore. I'm much better now, and try to keep it to one or two games a month.

Game access makes it a lot easier for me to keep up with games I want to try but don't want to pay for. Seeing your lists makes me feel like I've made some real headway with my purchasing problem.

I don't want to try listing mine. I only started genuinely using Steam (that is, buying games, rather than downloading the few free games), at the beginning of September, just after school started. It was something to do during lectures, I suppose (because one cannot find enough news to read). I've gone from 4 titles, to 113 titles, in 2 months. That's bloody terrifying. >.<

On the bright side, for us all; At least we don't pay MSRP. ;D

lol at listing the games you bought this year as if that means anything. For every good Vita game you bought, there's just as many great games on 3DS/PC/PS3 that you missed.

If I did not have a PS3, I would've bought more Vita games. But since I do have a ps3 and I prefer to play my games on that, I buy fewer Vita games (of the same title). The cross-play is nice, but way too few games support it.

All these game lists people are posting are faulty. If you're gonna make a list, you should be adding a separate column for multi-console games or add both games under all the systems that offer it to even it out (since we can pick which version we wanna buy for the same game).
Lists with exclusives under their proper system are fine.

As for the OP, if you value gaming on the go and you're attracted to at least 2 of the Vita's exclusives, I say go for it. If you decide to hold off, you'll get a better deal down the road (maybe another new color option or two as well).

Had something written up after following Sandy the last few days, and found out the thread has come down to what I've been avoiding. Have fun with your inner circle, I know I don't need to waste any more of anyone's time here. I'll stick to deals and avoid opinions from now on.

PS: Sony released their second quarter results. That should tell you a lot about their overall situation.

[quote name='poiuiu']Had something written up after following Sandy the last few days, and found out the thread has come down to what I've been avoiding. Have fun with your inner circle, I know I don't need to waste any more of anyone's time here. I'll stick to deals and avoid opinions from now on.

PS: Sony released their second quarter results. That should tell you a lot about their overall situation.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious as to what your thoughts are, an what your opinion of what position Sony is in.

[quote name='poiuiu']Had something written up after following Sandy the last few days, and found out the thread has come down to what I've been avoiding. Have fun with your inner circle, I know I don't need to waste any more of anyone's time here. I'll stick to deals and avoid opinions from now on.

PS: Sony released their second quarter results. That should tell you a lot about their overall situation.[/QUOTE]

Because the fact that it hasn't sold gangbusters means that it really must truly suck. High sales does not a good game make. If that were the case then we'd all only game on DS's and play Angry Birds all the time.

I get sick of hearing stuff like that. And there's no inner circle with all of us, there are plenty of us in here that own multiple consoles(like me) that doesn't like one over the other(again, like me), and that can admit to both strengths and weaknesses of both sides(be it hardware, software or network related).

It's a good console. It has good games. So does just about every other console ever made. No reason to get all butthurt because some people like it a lot.

[quote name='Aquablak']Well, I just picked up the Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation bundle this morning. The white Vita (I prefer the white one over the black), AC3, a memory card that will serve for a little while to save games, and the $50 gift card was just too much to pass up. Couple this with Hot Shots and Wipeout that I picked up on sale at Staples, and I'm all set![/QUOTE]

Canadians win this round.

I'm in the market for a Vita as well, but the price point is too high and the bs related to the included memory card size and individual pricing is a deal-breaker.

Getting more people to buy Vitas is simple:

1) lower entry price [as in sub-$200]
2) increase the included memory card size to at least 64GB [oh sorry, 32GB is the current limit?! LOL!] what a joke!

Viola! Then, we have a winner.

I'm inclined to say, No, don't go, this is an inclusive community! (and if there's an inner circle, I'm not part of it >.

[quote name='Booyakz']I'm inclined to say, No, don't go, this is an inclusive community! (and if there's an inner circle, I'm not part of it >.

[quote name='Mixer236']
I think the UI is the most annoying thing to me, though the back touch being used unnecessarily is a close second. The only games that used it right that come to mind are Uncharted(zooming in with the sniper rifle was surprisingly fluid & a welcome addition) & LBP.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Uncharted did use it well, in that case it improved gameplay (it did have less welcome additions with the front touch, like rowing and chopping through cloth and bamboo). Making tracks in Modnation was probably the best use I've experienced, marked improvement over PS3 there. It's being sorted out, LBP shows the devs are making progress, they understand now.

[quote name='Mixer236']
I still wish they would have just found a way to stick an HDD in there(or at least a substantial amount of flash memory) and maybe upped the price $20-$50. I'd rather have payed $350 for the 3G and have a 120GB memory upgrade than pay $300 and then an extra $99 for only a 32GB card.[/QUOTE]

I don't mind them skipping over internal memory, I like the idea of being able to get more cards, so that I might swap between them. In theory anyway, I've yet to do that.

Memory cards are mostly good. What's bad, is Sony doesn't bundle memory cards with EVERY Vita (I did get 4GB in the First Edition Bundle, not large enough though). And the price of their memory cards. Memory is cheap now; like a dollar a GB. Going proprietary was a bad move, Memory Sticks worked fine.

[quote name='Booyakz']Agreed, Uncharted did use it well, in that case it improved gameplay (it did have less welcome additions with the front touch, like rowing and chopping through cloth and bamboo). Making tracks in Modnation was probably the best use I've experienced, marked improvement over PS3 there. It's being sorted out, LBP shows the devs are making progress, they understand now.[/QUOTE]

Oh dear God, those touch prompts on the front screen were so awful. I died a few times because of them, and once I was only a few kills away from the "Kill x amount of people without dying" trophy. So frustrating. Another thing I really liked in Uncharted was the Intu-Aim. That was great. Line up your shot with analog stick, tweak with gyro control, and boom, easy headshots. Very useful for getting out of a tight jam and dispatching a large wave of enemies quickly. I wish they'd do this on PS3, and I wish all shooters on Vita used this.

[quote name='Booyakz']I don't mind them skipping over internal memory, I like the idea of being able to get more cards, so that I might swap between them. In theory anyway, I've yet to do that.

Memory cards are mostly good. What's bad, is Sony doesn't bundle memory cards with EVERY Vita (I did get 4GB in the First Edition Bundle, not large enough though). And the price of their memory cards. Memory is cheap now; like a dollar a GB. Going proprietary was a bad move, Memory Sticks worked fine.[/QUOTE]

I get that, memory cards can always be upgraded too. I just would rather not ever have to deal with them, as my 32GB is already half full and with Plus for Vita starting soon, I'm sure I'll have to be deleting things soon enough. I'd also be fine if they made a 80-100GB card, but who knows how much they'd wind up charging for such a card. :cold: The proprietary format was most definitely an unwise and unneeded choice.

Well, that can't possibly work on 360, but SixAxis may finally have some use. Shooting arrows with Kai in Heavenly Sword, was awesome, IMO. This improves that idea.

And I doubt this'll ever get fixed, just factor it in to the cost of the system. I'm willing to bet they'll start bundling them soon, the price is unlikely to drop, but sticking more junk in the box? Sony loves that idea...

[quote name='Booyakz']Well, that can't possibly work on 360, but SixAxis may finally have some use. Shooting arrows with Kai in Heavenly Sword, was awesome, IMO. This improves that idea.

And I doubt this'll ever get fixed, just factor it in to the cost of the system. I'm willing to bet they'll start bundling them soon, the price is unlikely to drop, but sticking more junk in the box? Sony loves that idea...[/QUOTE]

Yes, I enjoyed those parts in HS as well, and props for giving that game a mention. :applause: To this day that game does not get the recognition it deserves(I still want a sequel!).

Y'know, I'm not sure why Sony does that... I'm pretty sure that price dropping consoles will move more of them any day of the week over throwing extra games/movies/etc. in the box. I mean, take the new PS3 for example. It's way more cost efficient for them, I imagine it's much more easy to produce, yet they don't drop the price. Instead they throw in some voucher codes & Uncharted 3. I would have much rather just bought another bare-bones system for $200 rather than getting the "Over $70 added value" of stuff thrown in. :roll:

i would wait.

i bought it and the only game ive been playing on it is mortal kombat. im an MK addict so a ps vita is worth it to me. it gives the same competitive gameplay experience as the console counterpart (if you use dpad on the consoles, you can transfer your skills and techniques to the vita version).

in terms of the other games on the vita, theyre really average to me.

Assassins creed is an average game, unless youre a fan of the story. the game's mechanics feel gimmicky. like if you can take out 10 guys at the same time without getting scratched, whats the point of being stealthy?

dont know about call of duty but it looks ok. i would buy it if it gets a lot of praise though.

if you just want casual gaming on the go, get a 3ds instead imo. i like competition, and so far the announced ps vita games seem like competitive games on the go. whether theyre good or not, you will have to wait for reviews. if you're really on the fence, then wait for black friday. by then, the big titles will be released already.

[quote name='Mixer236']Yes, I enjoyed those parts in HS as well, and props for giving that game a mention. :applause: To this day that game does not get the recognition it deserves(I still want a sequel!).

Y'know, I'm not sure why Sony does that... I'm pretty sure that price dropping consoles will move more of them any day of the week over throwing extra games/movies/etc. in the box. I mean, take the new PS3 for example. It's way more cost efficient for them, I imagine it's much more easy to produce, yet they don't drop the price. Instead they throw in some voucher codes & Uncharted 3. I would have much rather just bought another bare-bones system for $200 rather than getting the "Over $70 added value" of stuff thrown in. :roll:[/QUOTE]

YES. We are NEVER going to get one though. =( And it's probably the best new IP Sony's had this generation (other than Uncharted). Bloody shame.

Exactly this. Sony just doesn't see it that way. Nor does Nintendo, really. They dropped the Wii's price by $20, and tossed Wii Sports Resort in the box. If they'd held the game, and lowered the price further ($99.99 is ideal), they'd move more consoles. Sony doesn't get it. This is why they're being throttled by Microsoft.

[quote name='giantqtipz']i would wait.

i bought it and the only game ive been playing on it is mortal kombat. im an MK addict so a ps vita is worth it to me. it gives the same competitive gameplay experience as the console counterpart (if you use dpad on the consoles, you can transfer your skills and techniques to the vita version).

in terms of the other games on the vita, theyre really average to me.

Assassins creed is an average game, unless youre a fan of the story. the game's mechanics feel gimmicky. like if you can take out 10 guys at the same time without getting scratched, whats the point of being stealthy?

dont know about call of duty but it looks ok. i would buy it if it gets a lot of praise though.

if you just want casual gaming on the go, get a 3ds instead imo. i like competition, and so far the announced ps vita games seem like competitive games on the go. whether theyre good or not, you will have to wait for reviews. if you're really on the fence, then wait for black friday. by then, the big titles will be released already.[/QUOTE]

I agree with what you're saying, but the reviews of Liberation all seemed to say the story sucked. =S Not so?

I don't believe 3DS gaming = casual gaming. It has many casual games, but definitely caters to the hardcore as well.

The Vita is great in terms of specs; has unique features and has some alright games...the problem? It's too expensive, you have to buy a memory and not many people adopted it. And for me other people having the same system as me makes me want to play it more; as it allows for co-op, online etc etc. When not many people do, what's the point? I think Sony once again screwed the pooch with this handheld, I don't know why they bothered again this gen, looking at their recent quarter should give you an indication. If you are deadset on it, wait till it drops to 150.

[quote name='Booyakz']YES. We are NEVER going to get one though. =( And it's probably the best new IP Sony's had this generation (other than Uncharted). Bloody shame.

Exactly this. Sony just doesn't see it that way. Nor does Nintendo, really. They dropped the Wii's price by $20, and tossed Wii Sports Resort in the box. If they'd held the game, and lowered the price further ($99.99 is ideal), they'd move more consoles. Sony doesn't get it. This is why they're being throttled by Microsoft.[/QUOTE]

AS much as I'm not a fan of Microsoft, they're the only ones that do this right. Another thing Sony does that annoys the heck out of me is expanding the size of the HDD instead of giving the console a price drop. You can find 5GB 360's for $150. Sony's approach is to keep the same price they've had for a couple of years and throw in a 320GB HDD. I mean, that's nice and all, but the average gamer doesn't need that much space and I can guarantee you that they really don't care.

At the very least Sony should (re)release a 20GB PS3 for $189.99. They'd effectively have the cheapest HD console on the market as far as MSRP is concerned, and they'd have the WiiU undercut by over $100. They'd then be putting the pressure on both Nintendo & Microsoft with their pricing and be able to taut all of the pluses of buying a PS3. I have no idea why they don't just do this. I mean, they don't care about selling Vita's with no storage space to think of for a (somewhat) budget price, why not the PS3? Makes sense to me.

Yeah the Vita is a great system, since you're interested in it and Assassin's Creed I'd recommend getting the AC Liberation PS Vita bundle since that comes with the game and a memory card.

And if you have PS Plus or are thinking about getting it, those services will be made available to PS Vita this month as well(instant game collection on Vita coming soon).

[quote name='Mixer236']AS much as I'm not a fan of Microsoft, they're the only ones that do this right. Another thing Sony does that annoys the heck out of me is expanding the size of the HDD instead of giving the console a price drop. You can find 5GB 360's for $150. Sony's approach is to keep the same price they've had for a couple of years and throw in a 320GB HDD. I mean, that's nice and all, but the average gamer doesn't need that much space and I can guarantee you that they really don't care.

At the very least Sony should (re)release a 20GB PS3 for $189.99. They'd effectively have the cheapest HD console on the market as far as MSRP is concerned, and they'd have the WiiU undercut by over $100. They'd then be putting the pressure on both Nintendo & Microsoft with their pricing and be able to taut all of the pluses of buying a PS3. I have no idea why they don't just do this. I mean, they don't care about selling Vita's with no storage space to think of for a (somewhat) budget price, why not the PS3? Makes sense to me.[/QUOTE]

I've personally felt that Sony has been out of touch with the gaming market (in North America at least) for so many years. There are dozens of things that they do or don't do that absolutely boggles my mind. Currently my biggest pet peeve with my PS3 is the lack of automatic system updates. I can't run Netflix until I update my firmware, but rather than prompt me to do so automatically, I have to quit Netflix, search through a convoluted settings list, update my firmware slowly, and relaunch it. I know it's a minor gripe, but that's my overall problem with Sony gaming devices. They are great for the big picture, but fall apart on so many small details.

bread's done
Back