Is a PS Vita worth it?

NEWTS2012

CAG Veteran
Hey all, just had a quick question...
Do you think a PS Vita is good investment at this point in time???
I was looking at the game selection and Uncharted and the new Assassin's Creed interests me but outside of that I'm not sure what's coming down the pipeline...
I'm kinda on the fence about getting one right now but I just wanted to see the different opinions people have on it right now...

Thanks!

[quote name='Wikkidkarma']I've personally felt that Sony has been out of touch with the gaming market (in North America at least) for so many years. There are dozens of things that they do or don't do that absolutely boggles my mind. Currently my biggest pet peeve with my PS3 is the lack of automatic system updates. I can't run Netflix until I update my firmware, but rather than prompt me to do so automatically, I have to quit Netflix, search through a convoluted settings list, update my firmware slowly, and relaunch it. I know it's a minor gripe, but that's my overall problem with Sony gaming devices. They are great for the big picture, but fall apart on so many small details.[/QUOTE]

I have high hopes for the future in regards to this with what they've done with Plus lately... Maybe they'll have that all figured out by the next console launch, though this is an issue that hasn't bothered me too much. A lot of people hate it do hate it, though.

[quote name='Mixer236']I have high hopes for the future in regards to this with what they've done with Plus lately... Maybe they'll have that all figured out by the next console launch, though this is an issue that hasn't bothered me too much. A lot of people hate it do hate it, though.[/QUOTE]

I feel like it really took them a while to make Plus a worthwhile investment. I'm more of a 360 guy, but I do play and follow Playstation stuff. I remember when plus first came out and all they gave you was unlimited 1 hour trials of games that had been out for 2 or 3 years.

I ended up biting on a year membership a few weeks ago in part for the spend $100 get $20 back deal and in preparation for the vita support on Plus. It's still not worthwhile for me personally, but they have definitely upped their game from a year ago. 10% off for day one releases is a definite step in the right direction.

Vita is absolutely worth it. Had one since launch, and play everyday. Rent from gamefly, so always have new games in my rotation, and always adding more.

I have the same question about 3ds. Waiting for that must have game. Can't pull the trigger, but really want to.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

I'm actually planning on buying a vita on BF. There are already a few games I'm itching to play right now. AC3, UC Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, MGS HD collection, Virtue's Last Reward and P4 the golden which I already preordered.

I'm a little bit on the fence about the 3DS though, I'm only interested in Bravely Default (no idea when that'll be localized), Tales of the Abyss and KH: Dream Drop Distance. Pokemon Dream Radar is good to have but not necessary, so basically in terms of games I have to go with the Vita.

My only gripe with vita is no bc, which means I can't sell my psp/earn enough money to rebuy my library.

[quote name='Wikkidkarma']I've personally felt that Sony has been out of touch with the gaming market (in North America at least) for so many years. There are dozens of things that they do or don't do that absolutely boggles my mind. Currently my biggest pet peeve with my PS3 is the lack of automatic system updates. I can't run Netflix until I update my firmware, but rather than prompt me to do so automatically, I have to quit Netflix, search through a convoluted settings list, update my firmware slowly, and relaunch it. I know it's a minor gripe, but that's my overall problem with Sony gaming devices. They are great for the big picture, but fall apart on so many small details.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. It's even more ridiculous that the function exists, but you have to be a Plus subscriber to use it. -.- That's ridiculous. You have something that will improve the quality of the general experience consumers have with you console and withhold it for people who give you more money? Stupid. What's most irksome for me, is that I have people who don't play video games using Netflix on my PS3, so I have to stop whatever I'm doing and go upgrade firmware. This could be so much easier...

[quote name='metsfan1545d']until they find a way to disable the touchscreen feature id say no[/QUOTE]

Touch is a massive plus for the platform, some games are built around touch. It's not always the ideal method of control, but it mostly improves the experience.

Anybody Wants it? PM me and I'll give you it for Future Shop (yes it's a Glist Code, but I don't have a Vita and CAG has been very cool.)

[quote name='Wikkidkarma']I feel like it really took them a while to make Plus a worthwhile investment. I'm more of a 360 guy, but I do play and follow Playstation stuff. I remember when plus first came out and all they gave you was unlimited 1 hour trials of games that had been out for 2 or 3 years.

I ended up biting on a year membership a few weeks ago in part for the spend $100 get $20 back deal and in preparation for the vita support on Plus. It's still not worthwhile for me personally, but they have definitely upped their game from a year ago. 10% off for day one releases is a definite step in the right direction.[/QUOTE]

Heh, well, I'm a total Sony fanboy and I totally agree with you. I finally subscribed to Plus around the same time as you, and ignored it for so long because of the very reasons you mentioned. It's easily 10 times better than it was when they first rolled it out.

I'm excited for Plus on Vita, I hope they come out of the gate with it just like it is on PS3 now, rather than start off extremely slow like when it first came out. That's another (!) plus to jumping on the Vita bandwagon this month.

[quote name='Mixer236']Heh, well, I'm a total Sony fanboy and I totally agree with you. I finally subscribed to Plus around the same time as you, and ignored it for so long because of the very reasons you mentioned. It's easily 10 times better than it was when they first rolled it out.

I'm excited for Plus on Vita, I hope they come out of the gate with it just like it is on PS3 now, rather than start off extremely slow like when it first came out. That's another (!) plus to jumping on the Vita bandwagon this month.[/QUOTE]

Haha. Terrible pun! love it. I hope that Plus is solid on Vita too. A strong out of the gate showing and a 1 month subscription bundled in could make the Vita a lot more attractive for fence sitters and help Sony with making better gaming profits.

Anyone's Ragnarok order ship from amazon.ca?

Mines been in "shipping soon" state since Tues....I think they may be holding off cuz I ordered Paper Mario for 3DS, only they are seperate orders.

But I have had amazon combine different orders in the same box - actually I hope they do that and use a bigger box when shipping so RO's box doesn't get destroyed.

In case anyone hasn't seen the update, next week Playstation Plus launches for Vita, with their "Instant Game Collection".

They are offering Uncharted GA, Gravity Rush and Wipeout 2048 (probably 3 of the best Vita games to date, and certainly Uncharted and Gravity Rush haven't seen any deep discounts), plus Jet Set Radio and Mutant Blobs from PSN.

That is well over $100 in games free.

If anyone was on the fence and has Plus, get a Vita!!!

[quote name='diskdocx']In case anyone hasn't seen the update, next week Playstation Plus launches for Vita, with their "Instant Game Collection".

They are offering Uncharted GA, Gravity Rush and Wipeout 2048 (probably 3 of the best Vita games to date, and certainly Uncharted and Gravity Rush haven't seen any deep discounts), plus Jet Set Radio and Mutant Blobs from PSN.

That is well over $100 in games free.

If anyone was on the fence and has Plus, get a Vita!!![/QUOTE]

Totally agree with this. I've had the Vita since day one and I think since then it's been my most used system (mostly due to time and locations that I have available to play games).

Adding the value of PS plus should tip alot of people on that fence. Unfortunate thing with early adopters is that we most likely have some if not all of the games offered in the collection.

Myself, I bought Uncharted with the system and Mutant blobs when it came out. So it is still worth it for the rest of the games. But good luck trying to sell Uncharted now since i've already have my platinum.

[quote name='strife18']Totally agree with this. I've had the Vita since day one and I think since then it's been my most used system (mostly due to time and locations that I have available to play games).

Adding the value of PS plus should tip alot of people on that fence. Unfortunate thing with early adopters is that we most likely have some if not all of the games offered in the collection.

Myself, I bought Uncharted with the system and Mutant blobs when it came out. So it is still worth it for the rest of the games. But good luck trying to sell Uncharted now since i've already have my platinum.[/QUOTE]

It's still on FS trade list.... :whistle2:#

But yeah, this update was clearly to sell consoles. It isn't going to help those who have a Vita much. I will try WipeOut and JSR (which is a new release), but have the others.

Still, it will benefit us as the Vita is struggling sales wise, and there needs to be incentive to develop more games. More install base means more games :applause:

I'm super excited about this too. I already finished Uncharted from Game Access and bought Mutant Blobs but the rest are new to me. I just bought my wife a Vita for Christmas and while these games aren't really appealing to her, I can see dropping $50 on a second plus membership if they add some more co op games.

Sony has really done well with the whole PS+ membership.

[quote name='Wikkidkarma']I'm super excited about this too. I already finished Uncharted from Game Access and bought Mutant Blobs but the rest are new to me. I just bought my wife a Vita for Christmas and while these games aren't really appealing to her, I can see dropping $50 on a second plus membership if they add some more co op games.

Sony has really done well with the whole PS+ membership.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget you can have 2 portable devices on a single PSN account, in addition to two PS3s!

[quote name='matsam']Don't forget you can have 2 portable devices on a single PSN account, in addition to two PS3s![/QUOTE]

Yes, but only one PSN ID is allowed per Vita. So while he could put his ID on both Vita's, his wife could not play under her ID on her Vita, or could not earn trophies if she did. Perhaps that doesn't matter, but just wanted to clarify.

People can talk about how much they love the Vita all day but developers care more about sales than how happy you are with a system. Matter of fact is its just not selling, 3DS sold 47 times more last week in Japan. CoD Declassified, the biggest release for the holiday season was outsourced to a dev who hasn't made a single good game and shipped with a 1 hour campaign because they had to churn it out in 5 months.

The few exclusives it does have aren't exactly system sellers.

[quote name='diskdocx']Yes, but only one PSN ID is allowed per Vita. So while he could put his ID on both Vita's, his wife could not play under her ID on her Vita, or could not earn trophies if she did. Perhaps that doesn't matter, but just wanted to clarify.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info guys! I had some questions about downloadable games and PS+ memberships on Vita. I bought a downloadable copy of Unit 13 on my own Vita. Am I able to re-download it on her vita and play with her? Or would that not work since I'd have to have my PSN id tied to both Vita's?

I'm also wondering how that works on PS3. I'd like to play the Heist online with her, so if I download it on both our Ps3's, can she log in under her own PSN id and access it, or does the free plus content only "activate" when the PSN id holder is logged in?

I'm more familiar with how the XBLA downloads work, being tied to the console of purchase and the gamertag. it makes for much less confusion if we want to buy an XBLA title and play together online. Not sure if that violates the EULA or if it's immoral, but I figure since it stays within our house and family, and we've spent hundreds of dollars on hardware, software and live memberships, I'm not gonna worry to much about.

[quote name='CoachHines']People can talk about how much they love the Vita all day but developers care more about sales than how happy you are with a system. Matter of fact is its just not selling, 3DS sold 47 times more last week in Japan. CoD Declassified, the biggest release for the holiday season was outsourced to a dev who hasn't made a single good game and shipped with a 1 hour campaign because they had to churn it out in 5 months.

The few exclusives it does have aren't exactly system sellers.[/QUOTE]

You're right about devs only caring about sales, but citing Japan sales isn't the only factor. Xbox 360 sells terribly in Japan, but it's doing pretty well for itself. Also, the rekindling of this thread was focused on how adding PS+ addition to Vita will hopefully attract more purchases, which is sales.

From a broad gaming perspective, I'd agree with you about exclusives not being system sellers. Personally, I've enjoyed the vita exclusives a lot, but I'm a sucker for novelty, so it's an easy well for me. Uncharted was cool, and Assassin's Creed is shaping up to be a really cool portable version of the console game, but none of them have really struck me as necessary.

You can have multiple accounts on each PS3, so as long as you have an account present where the content was downloaded from, you can access that content with other accounts on the same PS3. Game content from one PSN ID can be downloaded on two separate consoles, so you can certainly have two PS3s playing together after downloading the same game even if the users are using different accounts on each system.

I have no experience with multiplayer on the Vita, so I'm not sure if what you want to do is possible there. Again, you should be able to download the game content onto two different Vitas from the same PSN ID, but that does of course mean that you would have to associate that same ID with both systems (as multiple users are not supported on the Vita). I would imagine you should still be able to make use of local wireless multiplayer this way as long as you're fine with both systems sharing the PSN ID and trophies, etc.

[quote name='Wikkidkarma']Thanks for the info guys! I had some questions about downloadable games and PS+ memberships on Vita. I bought a downloadable copy of Unit 13 on my own Vita. Am I able to re-download it on her vita and play with her? Or would that not work since I'd have to have my PSN id tied to both Vita's?

I'm also wondering how that works on PS3. I'd like to play the Heist online with her, so if I download it on both our Ps3's, can she log in under her own PSN id and access it, or does the free plus content only "activate" when the PSN id holder is logged in?

I'm more familiar with how the XBLA downloads work, being tied to the console of purchase and the gamertag. it makes for much less confusion if we want to buy an XBLA title and play together online. Not sure if that violates the EULA or if it's immoral, but I figure since it stays within our house and family, and we've spent hundreds of dollars on hardware, software and live memberships, I'm not gonna worry to much about.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Wikkidkarma']Thanks for the info guys! I had some questions about downloadable games and PS+ memberships on Vita. I bought a downloadable copy of Unit 13 on my own Vita. Am I able to re-download it on her vita and play with her? Or would that not work since I'd have to have my PSN id tied to both Vita's?

I'm more familiar with how the XBLA downloads work, being tied to the console of purchase and the gamertag. it makes for much less confusion if we want to buy an XBLA title and play together online. Not sure if that violates the EULA or if it's immoral, but I figure since it stays within our house and family, and we've spent hundreds of dollars on hardware, software and live memberships, I'm not gonna worry to much about.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm that you can download PS+ purchases across 2 PS3 consoles. I have one for gaming, and one that I occasionally boost on, use as a media hub, and sometimes the kids use. I have my PSN ID on both, and have downloaded digital games to both.

So yes, that works.

For the Vita, as far as I understand, you can only have a single PSN ID attached to a Vita. You can attach your ID to 2 Vita's, but then anything downloaded on the second Vita would have to be used by your ID. You cannot have multiple ID's on a single Vita, so your wife could not have her ID on her Vita.

I hope that makes sense, and is completely accurate. Again, as far as I can gather, there is only one active ID allowed per Vita, vs multiple ID's per PS3.

I just bought another Vita because of PS+. I sold my first one because it was not getting action and there was a release lull at the time.

There are a few really good games and lots of crap. As long as you avoid the crap - unlike me and my BLOPs bundle - you will be happy.

bread's done
Back