Is anyone else tired of the trolls?

Exactly.
Constantly saying 'It sucks' isn't an opinion, it's threadcrapping.
Saying "I hate that game because it made me collect disks *and* get to a save point' is expressing an opinion.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Scrubking']And like it was already mentioned - if we are going to get rid of pointless posts then we need to start with the off-topic board and the OTT's[/quote]

Why the OTTs? I'm sure I will come off as biased when I say this, but the OTTs do no harm whatsoever. The Off-Topic board exists as a place away from the tension of the rest of the board. It's a place to relax. I kow the idea of "relaxing" on a message board sounds silly to begin with, but that doesn't change the fact that the OTTs and the OT board do no harm. If you don't like it, stay away from it. That's what I do with the VS board.[/quote]

I'll chime in here. Here's the thing Led, as I'm sure you're well aware of, there are a good bunch of you that absolutely love posting in the OT forum and the OTTs. OTOH, I would wager that there are an equal amount of people that are really annoyed by the OTTs (and the vast majority of CAGs probably just don't care either way).

Now, both of us are oppositely biased on this subject, but let me ask you this. What is "more valuable" of a post? When DDF goes into a thread and says that "X sucks", or any of the posts in the OTT. You have to admit, that a good portion of the posts in the OTT are either one word or a smiley, and the rest of the posts really don't affect any CAGs outside of the OTT. Now everybody loves to tote the "If you don't like the OTTs, then don't read them and stay out of the OT forum". Well, (even though it pisses me off that they're on the main page), how can you not apply this to DDF's posts? It's not like he says anything overly offensive either, so if you don't like what he says, dont read it. Or skip over it. Or read his one sentence about something sucking, and move on with it.

-On the issue of "threadcrapping"-
I agree with Scrubking in that the phrase is overly used, and alot of the time improperly so. If you want a really good example of what it really means, look back about a month or so to when there was a temporary ban on OTTs. All of the OTTers got pissed off, and would go into any random thread and start random conversation. I remember when people would point out this out, and they were met with a "we don't care" or a "shut up". You think that this behavior is any more acceptable than DDFs posts, or that anybody who did that is any less a troll? Many a thread was ruined (or "threadcrapped") during this time, yet you all have no problem accusing other people of doing it. Hypocratic no?

Here is DDF trolling...

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42727&highlight=

The guy is asking a legitmate question of where he can find a GBA-Player Disc for the GC and DDF proceeds to call him a moron. Now, I am the type that believes in having thick skin online. If you can't take a few stupid-ass comments then you probably won't stick around. But the guy only joined in August and had only 30+ posts. There is no way he can know how some people are here. The only reason I even made a post in there is because the OP was a fairly new poster and calling them a moron for NO GOOD REASON when he/she is looking for help is the kind of thing that can hurt a community. If that isn't a troll in action then what is?

Personally, I can ignore DDF with ease but if he is someone's first impression with they join CAG then that is a problem.

Not really, I like them. They provide me quite a bit of entertainment, as 90% of you take yourselves and the internet way too seriously, I enjoy watching them piss off all the uptight people.

[quote name='CheapyD']One of my many New Year's Resolutions is....
MORE BANNINGS!

EDIT: and more detailed rules for the forums[/quote]

But you have to ban like Donald Trump.....

=========>>>> YOU'RE BANNED!!

The way I look at it, you can't just start banning people because they're assholes or not very nice or don't agree with you. Even though many don't like DDF, he's really done nothing terribly wrong. He doesn't create a bunch of topics, he doesn't spam...he's just generally disagreeable. To me, that's not a banning offense.

Anyway, I say as long as users aren't spamming or destroying the operational integrity of the forum, live and let live.

[quote name='evilmax17']I'll chime in here. Here's the thing Led, as I'm sure you're well aware of, there are a good bunch of you that absolutely love posting in the OT forum and the OTTs. OTOH, I would wager that there are an equal amount of people that are really annoyed by the OTTs (and the vast majority of CAGs probably just don't care either way).

Now, both of us are oppositely biased on this subject, but let me ask you this. What is "more valuable" of a post? When DDF goes into a thread and says that "X sucks", or any of the posts in the OTT. You have to admit, that a good portion of the posts in the OTT are either one word or a smiley, and the rest of the posts really don't affect any CAGs outside of the OTT. Now everybody loves to tote the "If you don't like the OTTs, then don't read them and stay out of the OT forum". Well, (even though it pisses me off that they're on the main page), how can you not apply this to DDF's posts? It's not like he says anything overly offensive either, so if you don't like what he says, dont read it. Or skip over it. Or read his one sentence about something sucking, and move on with it.[/quote]

The only difference I see is that, when you go into the OT forum, you know what to expect. You're right, it's mostly one-word responses and emoticons. But, at least you know what you're in for.

Trolls on the other hand (which I don't think DDF really qualifies as), invade ON-TOPIC discussions and muck those up. I'll admit, the OTT crew did a shameful amount of thread-jacking during the brief OTT ban, but it was never meant to be malicious. The OTTers just like to talk, and they'll talk anywhere they can.

You're right on the money about simply ignoring trolls. I for one don't have too much of a problem with DDF, as he almost never attacks people. But if you don't like what a troll is saying, then don't give him the attention he so sorely craves.

In a recent thread that has already been deleted, someone was throwing their troll bullshit around about me and some other users who had somehow offended him. What did I do? Take it for what it was: a pathetic cry for attention by a sad, lonely little being. I was rather amused by it actually,and regret seeing that it has already been deleted.

My point is, and this isn't a new idea by any means, is that if you let a troll get to you, you're giving more than what they deserve. Do exactly what evilmax said: read it and forget it, or ignore it altogether. Ok, I'll shut up now.

If you want a really good example of what it really means, look back about a month or so to when there was a temporary ban on OTTs. All of the OTTers got pissed off, and would go into any random thread and start random conversation. I remember when people would point out this out, and they were met with a "we don't care" or a "shut up". You think that this behavior is any more acceptable than DDFs posts, or that anybody who did that is any less a troll?

When did this happen? All of those people should have been BANNED for causing such a major disruption.

Good thing I stay away from the OT board.

[quote name='Scrubking']
If you want a really good example of what it really means, look back about a month or so to when there was a temporary ban on OTTs. All of the OTTers got pissed off, and would go into any random thread and start random conversation. I remember when people would point out this out, and they were met with a "we don't care" or a "shut up". You think that this behavior is any more acceptable than DDFs posts, or that anybody who did that is any less a troll?

When did this happen? All of those people should have been BANNED for causing such a major disruption.

Good thing I stay away from the OT board.[/quote]

Is that why you're so uptight? Maybe you should vent OT a little. All these serious posts and hanging around the political forum has you wound tighter than a knock-off Rolex. Do I need to make you an avatar or something? Show the SK a little love so he's not all grinchy?

[quote name='Scrubking']

:roll: oh calm down and have you ever considered including the screen name you quote? :wink:

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='Scrubking']

Is that why you're so uptight? Maybe you should vent OT a little. All these serious posts and hanging around the political forum has you wound tighter than a knock-off Rolex. Do I need to make you an avatar or something? Show the SK a little love so he's not all grinchy?[/quote]

Do you really take anything that anyone says in the VS thread Serious? That is where the REAL fun is at. :wink:

anyone remember when Scrubking and Defender would get into it and Defender would always talk about Scrubking's sig.?

For some reason I could not help but think of this while reading this thread

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4114497.stm

This article is titled: "The right to be downright offensive" from BBC News.
Seemed appropriate to quote it in this thread.

"It's damaging that people see free expression simply as a right to cause offence," says Mr Mullin. "The right to freedom of speech is still relatively new and we are like adolescents, insufficiently mature in how we should use it.

"But censorship is never the answer. Whatever offence people at the margins seek to cause, you have to trust that there are enough people at the core of society who will not be swayed to the extremes."

[edit: I do not suggest that people have some right to post obnoxious messages on this site. I do, however, hope folks will realize that what we're dealing with here also takes place on a much larger scale, with the same reactions being expressed in art museums, bookstores, etc. I'm sure some folks decide to abandon those institutions when they're unable to deal with such friction, as well.]

There's a difference.
I support the right to free speech, including the right too offend. [All too often, that leads to 'the right to be thought of as a dumbass', but that's another story.]
But I also support the right of a private owner of a business, choosing how to run his business.
This is CheapyD's site. There is no constitutional protection, real or implied, to speak on it. If he decides to ban anyone who trolls, or posts spam, or uses the word 'Quixotic', that's his choice/right, and I'm pretty sure there's something to that effect in the ToS.
I'm generally against doing that kind of thing, I prefer letting the dumbasses prove themselves to be dumbasses, but that generally requires that every one else ignore them and not feed their need for attention, which is not happening. But I do support the right for him to do that.
It's like at my office, the employees just put together a little newsletter to send out. They have a bit of free rein in it, but if they started saying things like 'This company sucks!' in it, I support the right of the company to censor that. The words can still be said, just not on company property, during company time, using company materiel.

[quote name='Scrubking']We should bann people who use the term "thread crapper". [/quote]

we should change your rank to "thread crapper"
:wink:

bread's done
Back