Is ebay generally safe?

gamerguy2k7

CAGiversary!
Question pretty self explanatory but really will you get ripped off often trying to buy off ebay? also interested in selling too...

yes. although i dont think your question is explanatory, its quite actually questioning.

review the feedback on sellers. make sure they take the payment method you prefer (paypal).

Depends what you're buying/selling...generally, the more expensive the item is, the bigger the risk you take dealing with ebay.

I would HIGHLY recommend going thru craigslist if at all possible...while you might not get as good a deal, at least you can deal face-to-face with the other party and deal with CASH.

As a long time ebay/paypal user I wouldn't recommend them, and would only use them as a last resort (ie buying/selling peculiar "junk" items; getting the most value out of games/systems instead of getting "raped" going the eb/gs trade-in route, etc.). Also, another thing to be aware of if you decide to do the ebay thing is that people will probably give you a hard time (both as a buyer and seller) with your new user/low feedback that will probably take you awhile to build up.

my 2cents.

Buying is great because you can choose who you buy from. You can select the best seller and deal from a great assortment of merchandise. Selling is a whole different beast. Do some research on it first and educate yourself on all the fees that you will be paying.

i didn't like selling that much.. shipping sucks... as a seller that is..

but don't get ripped off buying things either.. if they are trying to charge you 12 dollars to ship a disc only game.. when it probably only takes about 3 or 4 dollars at the most..

I use it to buy MTGO cards from time to time.. but I don't like how you can just get outbid in the last second and theres nothing you can do.. i wish they would go to a system where if theres a bid and the bid holds for say 2 -4 hours with no other bids the bidder wins.. I think it would be a lot better that way.. so you can' tget "outbid" at the last minute you could at least counterbid.

I have bought and sold on ebay for 4 years and have never been ripped off on either. When buying just read carefully. When selling only ship to confirmed add., accept paypal , and put delivery confirmation on everything you sell under $250 and signature confirmation on anything over $250.

[quote name='urzishra14']
I use it to buy MTGO cards from time to time.. but I don't like how you can just get outbid in the last second and theres nothing you can do.. i wish they would go to a system where if theres a bid and the bid holds for say 2 -4 hours with no other bids the bidder wins.. I think it would be a lot better that way.. so you can' tget "outbid" at the last minute you could at least counterbid.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but that would totally suck for sellers - most bidding happens in the last minutes ;).

You already can "counterbid" by placing your bid as high as you are willing to go. If no one else bids on it you will get it for a lower price (some increment over the high bid before yours). If someone comes along and tries to snipe it by a few cents, well, you will have already bid more than that so they won't win. If they want to go over your maximum then they win it at a high price and you aren't paying a ton for the item. Of all issues/problems with eBay/PayPal, this is by far the least of them ;).

I tired selling six iPods on eBay and I was bombarded with fake bids and offers. Once the auction was over I got thee UK PayPal fake e-mails from the "winning bidders" saying that the payment had been sent but the only way to retreive it was to send the shipping number to another fake PayPal e-mail address.

Buying is almost always as sure thing but selling is risky as hell.

On and eBay didn't tell me that they were fake bid/e-mails until a day after the auctions were over. Good thing I know a fake when I see one.

[quote name='tsg2005']anybody that thinks ebay is not safe is crazy...

its extremely safe & very simple to stay safe. buying or selling[/QUOTE]

While I have had minimal problems selling (I lost some money but not a huge amount) I have generally had good experiences both buying and selling. However, I would not categorize selling as "extremely safe":

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121040

bread's done
Back