Is FF7 overated?

I personally love FF VII the most out of the ones I have played, but I have only played a few of the FF games (trying to buy and play the rest). I think the reason that it has become so accepted as the best in the series though is because it brought so many people to the genre and was their first RPG (It was for me). In fact, it may be the only FF they have played to date. Because of this, people say it is their favorite even if they haven't tried other FF's. I personally love the story much more than any other FF I have played. Just one theory - I'm sure there are many.

Because it set the bar when it first came out and put the Sony Playstation into a lot of livingrooms in America. By today's standards (and in comparison with other installments of the series which came afterwards, like FFX) it's a good game. Compared to its contemporaries when it was first released, it was incredible...and that's how people remember it, who praise it so much (or so I think.)

[edit : out-typed me, maxflight...and worded it more succinctly, too boot.]

[edit #2 : yeah, Logan, but succinct you ain't. :lol: ]

I liked FF7 a lot, but it isn't my favorite RPG, or even my favorite FF, but i'll agree that it is most likely because it is the first time most of the people have played any RPGs so they go nuts over it even though it really isn't that great since they either refuse to see qualities in other games, or refuse to even play other games, the latter being the more severe case of FF7 fanboyishness.

FF7 is not a great FF game; in fact I wouldn't put it among my top five (6/3, 4/2, 8, 9, 10). It was very cookie-cutter, with the exception of it's presentation, which was a brand new concept.

The reason for its popularity is best described by analogy.

The first time you have sex, it surely isn't the best you'll have in your life (probably among the most awkward and retrospectively shitty attempts), but it leaves an impact. You'll never forget that first time.

Also, we're talking about a game that defined RPGs for the new generation. Most of the people that gush about its greatness were new to gaming at that point, or new to RPGs. They were young for the most part, and part of the generation that truly grew up with the internet and spew their intellect (or lack thereof) across message boards. And they don't shut up, either. Hence all the hooplah for a generally average RPG.

like many have said, because it was there 1st ff

my favorite ff is ffiv, which is coincidentally the 1st ff i ever played

Yeah, it was my first, and turned me on to the whole RPG genre. It's kinda my measuring stick when it comes to RPGs.

My favorite FF was FF3 and second would be FF7......FF7 did have the best magic and abilities thingy by using Materia that shit was awesome

it had a really good story line and was addictive but what got me to buy it was that my older cousins had it and always were talking about it, also watching those 3d summons for the first time was really impressive. all the hype aside though, it was a really great rpg, one that i hold to b the best so far (IMO).

I've played more of the older ones (not to mention Chrono Trigger and whatnot), and I still think FF7 beats them all. Not to be on a lame note, but the 3D world they created completely blew me away. Also, I couldn't help but LOVING every bit of it: the materia, great characters, and even the ability to fully rotate the world map. Yes, cheesy, but I can't help it.

I dont like FFVII very much...I havent completed it but Im on the 2nd or third disc and its just ho-hum...I LOVE IX...I didnt like 10 at all...in fact I never finished it because I hated that the characters talk...I recently bought FF Chronicles and so far I love Crono Trigger...I mean...wow...for its time it is amazing...anyways I feel FFVII is highly overrated

FF7 was actually my second-to-last FF, FFXI being my latest. I definitely liked it for the three hours I played it at my cousin's house, but I can't say much since, like I said above, only played it for three hours. Just to show you how it stacks up, here's my top-3 fave FF games:

1.)FFX
2.)FF7
3.)FFXI

FFX might be my fave because that was my first FF (crazy, right?). I always thought FF was stupid when I saw the commercials, and then one day I just rented FFX for the hell of it, and I liked it, it was also my first RPG (besides Pokemon). I started Harry Potter the same way I started FF.

I think FF7 isn't overrated in the sense that everyone calls it the best FF, but it is overrated in general. The storyline was my favorite aspect of the game. It's very good and deep. FF6 would be my 2nd favorite.

Like I said, I've played a lot of the "old-school RPGs" that everyone says is better than FF7 (story-wise, etc.), and I don't see HOW they're better. Even the story itself of FF7 shreds them.

Unless, of course, I completely missed something and have lived a lie.

[quote name='trustcompany1013']because i cried watching Aerith die[/quote]

Yeah I cried too...because i spent all of that friggen time leveling her up and making her a key member of my party. When she died, I lost my healer, and Tifa made a very sucky replacement.

[quote name='maxflight']because a lot of people probably started FF series with FF7 when they first picked up PSX =)[/quote]

It was more than just most people's first FF...it was their first RPG.
I personally don't see anything special about FF7. I wasn't crazy about the characters and I thought the storyline was horrid, especially in comparison with FF6.

I think its has a lot of fan boy hype.... not to take away from how good the game is. I just think that for its time i was a 9-9.5 out of 10 and people are treating it like an 11.

My favorite is the first FF that I played IV...but i think the best one for its time was FFVI.

I was 16 when the game came out, I liked Tifa better than Aerith...so when she died I didn't feel heartbroken. I believe in the first good rpg for a lot of people theory.

There was another thread that was sorta talking about this. How people were saying how good X was and how they played 7 and it didnt seem that good.

It's a good game that could have been MUCH better. It was supposed to be 4 discs (and I'm not going to go into too much detail and start WW III on here). Thank Square for rushing to meet a release date. But I agree, many people like it so much because it was their first RPG. Mine was good ole Dragon Warrior on NES. However, FF 6/III and Chrono Trigger are much better games (in terms of plot) than VII. I absolutely hate 8, kind of liked 9, X is ok at best. However... it really pisses me off that Final Fantasy still uses the OUTDATED random battle thing. Also try Grandia II by the way, you'll like it. People.. there are other RPGs out there... and once you play them, you'll discover that Square doesn't deserve nearly as much credit as they did in the good ole SNES days

theeternal....i liked tifa way more as well....but i loved em both ;o(

skylander....my first rpg was dragon warrior on the nes as well, i remember us getting it free somehow through a mail in rebate....the game was great, i must've beat it like 15 times....i dont have too many memories of it because i think i was probably 5 when i was playing it, but i know i loved it

Definitely overrated.

Yeah, the main emotion I felt over Aeris' death was frustration... I too was using her as a member of my main party.

The most emotional part of the game, to me, was when Red XIII/Nanaki learns the truth about his father. That part made me cry, but I'm a sucker for things like that.

Otherwise I think the game's "story" is one of the most overrated aspects of the game. It's third rate sci-fi/anime fodder at best, and some of the dialog was butchered in the translation (most of it not central to the plot, but overall the translation job was done poorly, which directly impacts the quality and immersiveness of the story).

The game overall was a product of extreme hype. Not a bad game, and one with visuals the likes of which nobody had ever seen, backed by an extremely loyal fanbase from the earlier games, a huge advertising blitz, and unprecadented attention from non-gaming media. It was pretty easy back then to get sucked into it all.

[quote name='trustcompany1013']....my first rpg was dragon warrior on the nes as well, i remember us getting it free somehow through a mail in rebate....[/quote]

It came free with a subscription to Nintendo Power; that's how you got the mail-in rebate. I remember back when I got my free copy of Dragon Warrior. It was my first RPG too.

My favorite still would have to be FF IV. It was the first game I bought for the SNES, and though it wasn't my first RPG, it was my first FF. I liked VII, and thought it was good, but it's not my favorite FF. The story in FF IV though was great, with lots of twists. The locations, too, were nicely varied, even taking you to the moon. Plus, the characters were very well developed. Maybe I'm just waxing nostalgic, but I miss the 16-bit days.

It was / is a good game. But my first RPG still holds a special place and that was Dragon Warrior as well. I got it free with Nintendo power... I think I was about 10 or 11 then.

How good is the FF Chronicles set? I was tempted to pick this up at Best Buy yesterday. It has FFIV and ChronoTrigger on it. I missed ChronoTrigger back in the SNES days due to being in college. Spent all of my time in college partying and studying, missed out on gaming for several years.

Is ChronoTrigger on the Playstation the same as SNES?

I think that it is the best based on my experience with RPG games. I put in about 200-300 hours on that game alone. It stands out as my most played game. All other RPG games I've mostly put 20-30 hours on them each. And I have played all of those other ones that have been mentioned. It's all about personal opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs.

I was really excited for FF7 and really enjoyed it when it came out, however it's not my favorite FF in the series. My favorite is 4, then 6 then 1 then 7. My favorite Square game overall? Chrono Trigger

If they could remake IV and VI and update them to current technology with the same story, people would realize how much better they are than all the FFs since then. It loses something when you go back from current presentation to the old 16 bit games unless you'd already played through it when it was first released. It loses context and the "wow" factor. Try as hard as you may, if it isn't new, it just won't have the same feel as something you played WHEN it was new.

[quote name='Indiana']How good is the FF Chronicles set? I was tempted to pick this up at Best Buy yesterday. It has FFIV and ChronoTrigger on it. I missed ChronoTrigger back in the SNES days due to being in college. Spent all of my time in college partying and studying, missed out on gaming for several years.

Is ChronoTrigger on the Playstation the same as SNES?[/quote]

If you have a PS2, go for it. But PSONE beware! Chrono Trigger, due to shitty port job by all our good friends at square has like 5 second delays between opening the freakin menu for chrissakes. And every time you get into a battle. Or go to a store, or when you save, or you start a dialog and the music changes. I know this is not the vault of my PSONE cause its in perfet condition, and the disc was brand new.

And yes, they are 2 different versions between the SNES and PS, most notably being the added cutscenes and the intro movie in the PS version.

There is some slowdown detectable if you have logged alot of hours on the SNES version of FFIV, but its not as bad as CT.

Yay.

[quote name='WildWop']FF7 is not a great FF game; in fact I wouldn't put it among my top five (6/3, 4/2, 8, 9, 10). It was very cookie-cutter, with the exception of it's presentation, which was a brand new concept.

The reason for its popularity is best described by analogy.

The first time you have sex, it surely isn't the best you'll have in your life (probably among the most awkward and retrospectively shitty attempts), but it leaves an impact. You'll never forget that first time.

Also, we're talking about a game that defined RPGs for the new generation. Most of the people that gush about its greatness were new to gaming at that point, or new to RPGs. They were young for the most part, and part of the generation that truly grew up with the internet and spew their intellect (or lack thereof) across message boards. And they don't shut up, either. Hence all the hooplah for a generally average RPG.[/quote]

Is that why I still cry when I play through FFVII? :oops: [/b]

damn i was 19 hrs into it and lost the disc for it :( I guess ill go pick that up eventualy and be happy with the game.

I may have to try it again... I remember really hating the combat system. But then, I'm old, slow, and jaded, and only like stuff that is true turn based... that's why I'll take the combat of Chrono Cross over Chrono Trigger any day, or PSIV over PSO. ... or Dragon Warrior I over any Final Fantasy that's not I or X.

Or FFX over FF7... mmm, FFX combat. I'll have to try FFVI again. I got to the point where they were alternately threatening to mash and cut the one guy's penis off, and then I quit.

Following the previously mentioned analogy, FF7 to me is one of the best ive played because it was the first square RPG i played. =)

I agree that the materia system was pretty cool. Also, the s-bombs being dropped was unusual for the time the game came out. It is a good game but I think the 3D engine hurt it. The PS One really didn't do a good job of rendering the characters (especially seeing how FF8 and 9 looked much better). Now I am not saying that as a card carrying graphics whore but the graphics in FFIII for SNES (or VI if you prefer) just had more "substance" to them.

I have to say FFVI is my favorite still.

bread's done
Back