Is gamefly worth getting?

It's the cost of 1/2 a game a month.

Unless you live in CA, their shipping and turnaround times are abysmal. I'm in MN, and it took around 3-5 days from the time I sent one game to get another. You can never get new games either (this was 5 years ago when I had the service).

Stick with Redbox or Family Video.

I've been trying it the past couple months. I don't find it very compatible with my CAG lifestyle. for the $15-25 I pay just to rent a game I can easily find something good on CAG or eBay for $10-20 to own.
I find Gamefly is only potentially useful for access to newer mid-range to full price games... but then it's hard to get those shipped to you when they've just come out because the demand for them is so high. I thought I'd try Gamefly to cheaply play one game that came out recently that I'm interested in but don't want to pay $60 for but in a month of subscribing I still haven't gotten a copy of it. I'll probably cancel my plan soon.

If you have enough time to blast through a game and not letting it collect dust at your house or you live near a shipping center then it's a great deal. I love using it.

I had it for a year or so and didn't really like it. I live in MO and it took me approx. 5 days to receive a game and 5 days to get it back to them. Therefore every time I sent a game back it took me about 12 days ,the extra two days being from "processing" on their end, to get a new one.

I've had it probably three different times and I never lasted more than 3 months. The wait times have always been pretty long for me, they seemed to ignore my rankings of which games I wanted, and the price seemed high. I have a backlog of ~$10-20 all kinds of shit, why rent anything?

One thing good I will say about Gamefly is if you stay with them for awhile, the keep it prices are pretty good for new games and you don't have to pay shipping.

You also get lots of coupons for buying games from them.

It's fine if you game a ton and will get through at least 2 or 3 games a month.

Doesn't make sense for someone like me that plays around 7 or so games a year since I spend a lot of time on online games etc.

[quote name='2DMention']One thing good I will say about Gamefly is if you stay with them for awhile, the keep it prices are pretty good for new games and you don't have to pay shipping.

You also get lots of coupons for buying games from them.[/QUOTE]

I agree and if you'e really savvy, you can time the game turn around just right, so you get new releases on—or in the same week as their release. I often did this and combined with the discounts I was getting for being a long term member, typically I paid around $40 for new releases which I decided to keep.

All that said, if you don't already have Netflix and have no objection to Blockbuster—looking at the numbers, I think they may have a better deal.

depends on what you want to play as well.. if just handhelds i would say

NO gamefly isnt worth it...

almost all Ds games and psp games that came out in the last month to 2 months are VERY LONG WAIT

I been with them i think for 3 or 4 years and will be leaving come sept

I usually play less than 8 games a year and gamefly doesn't work for me.I been using gamehuddle.com to rent games.$5 up front for the first five days 40 cents afterward.The only bad thing is that you need to pay for the days it takes to ship the game back to them. If you live by their only shipping center in Pittsburg,PA then you're golden.They have PS3 and 360 games only just a heads up.

gamefly SUCKS. I tried it out and the shipping time is just too long to make it worth while. I also worried if the game got lost or stolen in the mail since it took so long. Buying games is the way to go, just be frugal about it.

I can't count how much money I've probably saved using GameFly. I'm one of those gamers who loves to play newer games and usually doesn't care for a whole lot of replay value outside of RPGs, which means I use GameFly for practically everything.

It is extremely easy to time your returns properly and make sure you receive new games guaranteed. I live in the chicago area and it usually only takes two days for me to get a game, and three for them to get them from me. With the way they usually ship a new title the day before it is released, it means I often get the game a day after it is released. Then I can finish it at my leisure. I've rented 32 games since the start of the year, getting them all the day after release, even if I bought them at $30 somehow, that's still $960 in games. Instead I've spent around $180 in GameFly fees.

It's probably not for everyone, as some people prefer older games or don't want to jump on new releases. If this isn't you then it's probably not a good thing to do GameFly since games can sometimes take awhile to send if they aren't caught on release, but it's not hard to manage your account and your Game Q.

I just got to my local renting place which is about a 8minute drive away and is only 6$ a game for a week which is completely reasonable to me.

Those are good points koga88.

It's not for me as I only buy new games if there something I want to play online, or an absolute favorite series like Mass Effect that I'll want to own and replay etc.

Everything else I wait for Goozex or price drops. And, as I said above, I only play around 5-7 games a year these days so Gamefly would cost me more.

But it makes a ton of sense for someone like you who plays a ton of games and doesn't care about owning or replaying them.

Like others have said, it's great if you can put a lot of time into games and keep getting something new. I found that I enjoyed the games, but didn't have time to play and would keep buying the one I had at home. I didn't stay a member very long, haha.

[quote name='2DMention']Unless you live in CA, their shipping and turnaround times are abysmal.[/QUOTE]
Not entirely true. It's just as bad in California, if not worse. I live two or three hours from a shipment center and it used to take about a week or so for them to get a new game to me. As I've mentioned in at least one other thread...I sent Netflix and Gamefly back at the same time and I got new Netflix discs, watched the movies, sent them back, got more, and sent those back before getting anything from Gamefly.

I've stuck with Gamefly ever since my local Hollywood Video and Blockbuster closed down. Like many have said, if you can finish the game in less than a week, it is totally worth it. I have found it perfect for games like Child of Eden and Homefront, but not for games like Fallout or Mass Effect. Also, when you learn how long it takes for them to get a game, you can plan ahead and get new games. Personally, if I had a new "coming soon" game in my queue and an open shipping slot on Monday, I was pretty much guaranteed that new game to ship. Finally, something I haven't seen mentioned, but happens to me all the time, is that sometimes, when I ship a game back, before they even receive the physical copy of the game I sent back, they will have already shipped me another game in my queue (I currently have the 1 game out plan). I think I read somewhere that some post offices scan the envelopes so Gamefly knows when a game is on its way back and will send you another one to cut down on waiting time. While I won't recommend it for everyone, for a broke college student who learned how to manage the shipping times, it is perfect for the new releases I don't plan on purchasing but don't want to wait for a price drop (which, nowadays, seems to be about a week). All I can say is go hit up the free stuff forum, find one of the codes that gives you two months for the price of one, and give it a shot. If you don't like it, it is quite easy to terminate your subscription.

I'm not a fan. I've tried the trials three or four times. I live in central Illinois, and, the shipping/receiving times are just terrible. They'd need more distribution centers (ala Netflix) to get me to stick with them.

[quote name='manmeet005']See what I believe that it is not worth to spend money rather that you can enjoy your self while playing Online games without spending too much money or even any.[/QUOTE]

This sentence hurt my brain. Is this even English?

It's spam, so no, they most likely do not speak English as a first (or perhaps even second) language. I reported it to the moderators yesterday, but it hasn't been removed yet. Kinda funny 'cause if I ever mention wanting to buy something off of someone, it's deleted within a couple of hours.

I have a shipping center in Seattle now so its even more worth it for me. I actually get 4 games out at a time and split them with my brother who can't afford to buy games. He gets them for as long as he wants, I keep mine until I'm completely done with them and move on. Getting new release games is not that hard either. Clear your queue and only put what you want to play now in it. If you have 50 games in your queue, of course you are going to get older or crappier games. It's been working well for me and I'd recommend it.

I found their service to be pretty bad. The shipping times were horrible and the last game I had it took over a week to get to them so I got the "Sorry we can no longer do business in your area" email I'm guessing because they thought I had stolen it. I already had a game coming in the mail and before I could get that game and return it I received another email stating that they were going to charge for the game I hadn't received yet. I emailed customer service and told them I would send the game back as soon as I recieved it and so they didn't charge my card. Because they stopped my service I also had about 10 days left that I had already paid for and I lost out on that. And when they receive the game that they thought I had "lost" I didn't get any email apologizing or anything like that for cancelling my service. This will be the last time I have anything to do with Gamefly.

I find it to be a alright service. Since there are absolutely NO Video Rental Store's in my area. Shipping is alright, usually take's 2 day's to get there, 2 day's back. Worth the price: No.

This thread has really changed my mind about going back to Gamefly. I was honestly thinking about going back to them, but hearing that their shipping times haven't improved at all (although no one really said anything about the New England area) has changed my mind completely. Hopefully Redbox can provide more games to their excellent and cheap renting service and compete against Gamefly. I remember when grocery stores around here used to carry games you could rent, but for some reason they stopped doing that. So seeing Redbox do that brings me back a bit.

im waiting for ncaa 12 and once i get this im canceling, ive been waiting a MONTH. its the only game in my que. its said available three times. this is prison.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']I remember when grocery stores around here used to carry games you could rent, but for some reason they stopped doing that.[/QUOTE]
i remember that too, they even did movies, then they turned mine into a flower shop.

Seriously, I miss being able to rent from grocery stores. There are a few that still do it around here, but they usually just have a small shelf of old movies. When I was a kid, there used to be a grocery store (I wish I could remember the name; I don't think it was Hughes) with an awesome rental section. I used to buy a lot of my NES games there and I always loved that you could rent consoles, which is something you don't see much of anymore. Sadly, I think it was turned into a break room or optometrist's office or something.

Even in CA I found their shipping times abysmal. Also they will sometimes wait literally days before shipping you anything, for no valid reason. Not recommended.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']This thread has really changed my mind about going back to Gamefly. I was honestly thinking about going back to them, but hearing that their shipping times haven't improved at all (although no one really said anything about the New England area) has changed my mind completely. Hopefully Redbox can provide more games to their excellent and cheap renting service and compete against Gamefly. I remember when grocery stores around here used to carry games you could rent, but for some reason they stopped doing that. So seeing Redbox do that brings me back a bit.[/QUOTE]

I live in the New England area and at the time I tried out the "Free" Trial...it took them 2 weeks to get my first game to try...which was that DC fighting game, once I got the game I had maybe....4 days to play it before having to send it back...just so I could cancel my account on time.

This was back when I lived in North Stonington CT which is far from hartford or boston.

was thinking about cancelling come sept 15 but i tihnk i will renew and buy a 6 month membership for 15% off..

if i figure a game a month it be like buyin them for 30 and reselling them for 15 (since it will cost me 15 per month) and if i hate the games i can get something else

What im thinking

SEpt Harvest moon tale of two towns
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 Innocent Sin

OCt the Last Specter

Might do 1 at a time for harvest moon then upgrade for the other 2 sept games (not sure about Red hunter though

I've been a member off and on (mostly off) since 2003. Like many have said here, their shipping times aren't that great and it's difficult to get new games.

I just signed up for the 2 games plan again yesterday and I'm determined to make it work for me this time. I only play single player campaigns and hardly ever bother with online so it's a perfect solution for me. I rarely replay games so once I finish them they just sit on the shelf or I sell them. I think it makes more since for me to just rent almost everything I play.

They just shipped Shadow of the Damned and Alice so they're off to a pretty good start this time.

I have been a member for several years and I use it as a supplemental service for my games. I mainly use it to play newer games and games I would like to try, but don't want to buy. Due to my work there are often several days where I can't game. I just plan and ship games when I know those extended periods will occur.

I also maintain a small backlog of games at my house that I have purchased. The backlog is used to fill in the gaps while I'm waiting for a game from Gamefly. Additionally, the discount on games is a nice perk for being a long-term member.

Yes for my lifestyle, Gamefly is worth it. If you plan on exclusively using GF for your gaming needs, then no it probably is not for you.

yeah, i rejoined gamefly cuz they gave me the 1/2 off first month, but im gonna cancel again. I can't believe shipping takes so long. I shipped a game to them last saturday and just got a game on friday. I know labor day was monday, but still, it takes almost a week to get a game here in saint louis.

good thing is you can get rare/hard to find games fairly easy, i.e. hyperdimension/catherine/manvswild/etc

bread's done
Back