Is Halo 1 still worth getting if I don't have it yet?

BustaUppa

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I just got an Xbox, so I am in the early stages of building up my library. With Halo 2 nearly upon us, I was wondering if I should still bother getting Halo 1. Are there any features from Halo 1 that they took out in Halo 2? Does Halo 2 still support 4-way split screen on Xbox? Does they throw all the levels from Halo 1 into the sequel as a "classic campaign" or anything like that? Basically I'm just wondering if you think Halo 2 makes the 1st obsolete.

Halo is still a great game. I highly recommend it. Halo 2 won't make its predecessor obsolete by any means. As far as features being removed for the second installment, I'm not really sure. I doubt it, though.

Yes, it's still worth picking up. It's not hard to find it under $20. The campaign definitely won't be in Halo 2, and whether or not any of Halo's multiplayer levels will be present is still in discussion. Halo 2 still supports LAN and split screen multiplayer.

This is like asking if you should bother seeing Star Wars because Empires Strikes Back is opening soon. The improved effects technology for the second entry doesn't stop the first from being a must-have experience.

One of Halo's major assets is a strong story rather than a flimsy excuse for lots of shooting. Halo 2 continues that story.

Its one of the best games on xbox and maybe on any other system out their. The story is good and the gameplay is always fun. Also the price is cheap for a great game. Buy it and enjoy it :wink:

You should definately get it, no question about it, I would wait till Halo 2 comes out though, maybe Halo will be a platinum hit when H2 comes out.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']maybe Halo will be a platinum hit when H2 comes out.[/quote]

It had damn well better be by then. I'm tired of going to work and seeing that $30 price sticker, knowing that it was a launch game. fucking awesome launch game, but a launch game that has earned more than enough revenue to recoupe its cost and then some. But then again, people still pay that $30, so I imagine they don't mind so much.

Get it. While it has been overhyped, it was the reason to get an Xbox for the longest time. Then things like KOTOR, Full Spectrum Warrior, Riddick, etc. came out. But it is still a very good game.

Yeah, get it...very good game. Will give you a good warm-up for Halo 2 anyways. I honestly have not touched the game since I beat it. The mulitplayer is fun, but with LIVE...I rarely get more than myself on my own XBOX.

I agree with sblymnlcrymnl. The single player is very repetitive, and if you want good multiplayer, I suggest Time Splitters 2 instead.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']No, the single player starts to drag about half way though and the multiplayer isn't worth the time it takes to get enough people together.[/quote]
I vehemently disagree with this statement. The single player campaign may drag, but multiplayer is definitely worth all the effort. My friends and I still play this game every week. We've tried other shooters, but always come back to Halo.

[quote name='evilpenguin9000'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']No, the single player starts to drag about half way though and the multiplayer isn't worth the time it takes to get enough people together.[/quote]
I vehemently disagree with this statement. The single player campaign may drag, but multiplayer is definitely worth all the effort. My friends and I still play this game every week. We've tried other shooters, but always come back to Halo.[/quote]

In my experience, you need about 8 people to enjoy multiplayer, and that's a problem for me. I have trouble getting more than 2 other people together for the purposes of gaming.

[quote name='evilpenguin9000']I vehemently disagree with this statement. The single player campaign may drag, but multiplayer is definitely worth all the effort. My friends and I still play this game every week. We've tried other shooters, but always come back to Halo.[/quote]

I agree with EP9000. My friends and I are still playing Halo almost weekly. Multiplayer is just a helluva good time. And the co-op feature for the campaign is also very good. Even at $30 you'd still get your money's worth out of it.

It's a personal call, really. I mean, I got it a few months ago, and haven't played it since my friend and I beat it on co-op mode. I guess if you have a lot of friends to do the multiplayer thing, then yeah... But. if you're just going to play it by yourself, maybe you should just rent it for a while...

Everyone should own this game, even those who do not own an Xbox. Just holding the disc can provide hours of unrelentless and intense pleasure!!!

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='evilpenguin9000'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']No, the single player starts to drag about half way though and the multiplayer isn't worth the time it takes to get enough people together.[/quote]
I vehemently disagree with this statement. The single player campaign may drag, but multiplayer is definitely worth all the effort. My friends and I still play this game every week. We've tried other shooters, but always come back to Halo.[/quote]

In my experience, you need about 8 people to enjoy multiplayer, and that's a problem for me. I have trouble getting more than 2 other people together for the purposes of gaming.[/quote]

Personally I only play FPS that have bots if I have less than 4 for multiplayer. (And even with 4 I still almost always go for a game with bots.)

But Halo is still a no-brainer. From time to time it can be had on sale for $20 (I got one for $15 with the GGC at Best Buy a month or so back.)

Halo sets up Halo 2, so its definitely worth getting. You will be denying yourself an amazing experience by not picking it up. Yes, MP will be overshadowed by Halo 2, but its worth getting for the single player campaign.

I suggest you get out from under your rock and purchase Halo, maybe when they have one of those 19.99 CC or BB sales.

Unless you have friends to do multiplayer with, just rent it. The single-player campaign is quite pedestrian.

just rent it. I did and got bored of it before it had to go back.

If you have to have halo just wait for the second one its not too far off. I also agree that Timesplitters 2 is better in the single player mode by far.

bread's done
Back