is it legal to copy songs from the radio?

adamada

CAGiversary!
Is recording a song from the radio legal? If so, is it then legal to share that recorded song? If not, are all those old tapes I made from the radio illegal too?

Eh, does it really matter? It's one of those things that even if it is illegal, it shouldn't be, and anybody that would condemn you for it is an ass.

Well... if RIAA had theyre way youd probably be in jail... But radio stations pay to have music or are paid to play it.. I'm not sure how it works... but they're job is to make them public domain... so I'd say you're ok as long as you don't charge anyone for them...

My local station plays a whole CD and encourages people to record it.. Saturday Night CD Download. Of course, they only play 5-10 year old albums...

You can record whatever you want, don't let anyone tell you that you can't.

I would say that anyone would have difficulty making the case that it is illegal to share TV or radio tape recordings. You would certainly never be sued for it.

Technically, it could be considered illegal - I don't think there is a fair use exception involved. I mean I'm sure we are not far off from internet "radio stations" with crystal clear quality that people will record to their hard drives... and the record companies will bitch...

Actually, IIRC its illegal to record payperview movies and to rebroadcast ANYTHING you record for public display. If you strickly adhere to the law, anything you record stays at home for your use only... Playing back a recording of the superbowl at a sports bar could technically get you fined.

Radio recordings are a grey area.. they're defined by the "fair use" clause. Basically if you're recording them for your own use, you're fine.. however if you distribute them (especially for profit), its quite illegal.

Here is some relevant info..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blank_media_tax

Audio home recording in general
17 USC 1008 (http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/1008.html), from the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992, says that non-commercial copying by consumers of digital and analog musical recordings is not copyright infringement. Non-commercial includes such things as resale not in the course of business, perhaps of normal use working copies which are no longer wanted. It's unlikely to include resale of copies in bulk and Napster tried to use the Section 1008 defence but was rejected because it was a business.

[quote name='adamada']Thanks, your posts have been helpful in easing my mind.[/quote]

....you......were......actually......worried about this?

:shock:

13 you are [/Yoda]

bread's done
Back