Is it me or is the ps3 finally turning a corner?

davidjinfla

CAGiversary!
I don't have a PS3 yet but I'm leaning closer to getting one. Does anyone know if the scaling problem with older HD tv's has been fixed yet?

Are you referring to the problem they had at launch with only being able to play in 480 or 1080? TV's that supported 720, were being dropped down to 480.

That was fixed in Firmware 1.3, I believe.

"finally"? It has only been out about half a year.

And the scaling problem has NOT been fixed, but most new games aren't affected. I have this problem, and I believe only Motorstorm and Resistance have had problems for me. You have a TV that only displays 1080i, and not 720p, correct? If so, there will be somes that downscale to 480p (which sucks), but the problem doesn't seem to be occuring for newer games.

It needs a price drop before it can turn a corner. Quality lineup or not, $600 is too much for a game machine.

Also no VGA cable support means no high def for me, and no interest.

Yea. $600 is still a crap load of money, but for those who were on the fence before, should be convinced after Gamer's Day.

[quote name='jer7583']It needs a price drop before it can turn a corner. Quality lineup or not, $600 is too much for a game machine.

Also no VGA cable support means no high def for me, and no interest.[/QUOTE]

that's what they said about the $300 pricetag before. :D It'll become less painful as things pass...

I think it's quite a price too... so I got the 20GB one ;) It's definitely not for everyone... then again, neither is the 360... I can handle that...

Nobody's saying that LittleBigPlanet or Lair don't look great. But like most people I have absolutely no problem waiting a long while for the console price to come down to a more reasonable level. You should probably wait until those games actually come out before claiming it's turned a corner anyways.

Damn... I like PS3, and I spent the 600 to get one.. but damn... who in the hell made the decision to make a 600 dollar machine.. and thought they were going to be number one?!

[quote name='onikage']Change "PS3" to "PSP" and you've got a decent topic. The PS3 is still unexciting IMO.[/quote]

Yes, the topic title doesn't match the context of the OP. We really don't need another one of those types of threads anyway...

THE PS3 is definetally absolutely amazing at this point.

It completely SHATTERS the 360 (6 months into it), and the games promised and shown are mind blowing. I believe at this point all we had for 360 was some hopes that Gears of War will be good. Halo 3 may come out. And Mass Effect had some promise.

The PS3 will definetally over take it again.

And Uncharted will win GOTY.

These are my predictions. Suck it down with a load of mayo.

I love how all these people feel the ps3 are turning a corner. It's like all those people who finally realize that Bush is a crappy president, when many of us knew back in 2000 already.

I guess a more relevant example would be the Xbox360. I heard this same crap over and over again at the launch of the 360.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']THE PS3 is definetally absolutely amazing at this point.

It completely SHATTERS the 360 (6 months into it), and the games promised and shown are mind blowing. I believe at this point all we had for 360 was some hopes that Gears of War will be good. Halo 3 may come out. And Mass Effect had some promise.

These are my predictions. Suck it down with a load of mayo.[/quote]

What? I am excited about the new games as well (especially Uncharted *drool*--good adventure gaming for new-gen? Yes please!), but come on--"shatters" the 360 right now? Based on what? The PS3 really hasn't offered much in the way of exclusive games and is getting pounded in sales.

Could it change? Absolutely. Could they even regain the top spot? Definitely. But to say that it is currently "shattering" the 360 is ludicrous.

[quote name='Plinko']What? I am excited about the new games as well (especially Uncharted *drool*--good adventure gaming for new-gen? Yes please!), but come on--"shatters" the 360 right now? Based on what? The PS3 really hasn't offered much in the way of exclusive games and is getting pounded in sales.

Could it change? Absolutely. Could they even regain the top spot? Definitely. But to say that it is currently "shattering" the 360 is ludicrous.[/QUOTE]

Notice the brackets with 6 months into it? And the PS3 isn't getting pounded in sales if you're comparing it with the 360's launch.

[quote name='gokou36']Notice the brackets with 6 months into it? And the PS3 isn't getting pounded in sales if you're comparing it with the 360's launch.[/quote]

Yea. Someone got it.

[quote name='gokou36']Notice the brackets with 6 months into it? And the PS3 isn't getting pounded in sales if you're comparing it with the 360's launch.[/quote]
I noticed the brackets, and I'm still waiting for an explanation as to how it is "shattering" the 360.

I'm comparing sales to other systems right now--I acknowledge they could pick up later, but right now they're getting bombed. In fact, the April sales figures in North America just came out:

DS: 471K
Wii: 360K
PS2: 194K
PSP: 183K
360: 174K
GBA: 84K
PS3: 82K
GC: 13K

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156698

PS3 got crushed last month--the previous-gen system sold more then double its predecessor. Did that ever happen with 360?

Look, I own all 3 systems--I like them all. But we have to be reasonable.

[quote name='Plinko']I noticed the brackets, and I'm still waiting for an explanation as to how it is "shattering" the 360.

I'm comparing sales to other systems right now--I acknowledge they could pick up later, but right now they're getting bombed. In fact, the April sales figures in North America just came out:

DS: 471K
Wii: 360K
PS2: 194K
PSP: 183K
360: 174K
GBA: 84K
PS3: 82K
GC: 13K

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156698

PS3 got crushed last month--the previous-gen system sold more then double its predecessor. Did that ever happen with 360?

Look, I own all 3 systems--I like them all. But we have to be reasonable.[/quote]

I don't think you understand...

[quote name='Plinko']Please explain. I guess I'm missing your point.[/QUOTE]

He is saying the PS3, within its first 6 months, is 'shattering' the 360, within its first 6 months. Obviously, the current 360 line up and sales are crushing the PS3, but he was comparing both of their respective first 6 months.

[quote name='dpatel']He is saying the PS3, within its first 6 months, is 'shattering' the 360, within its first 6 months. Obviously, the current 360 line up and sales are crushing the PS3, but he was comparing both of their respective first 6 months.[/quote]

Yea, thanks. I am not that good of explaining it.

Added on top of that. The promises and future titles are alot more intriguing to myself, then the 360's.

[quote name='Plinko']
PS3 got crushed last month--the previous-gen system sold more then double its predecessor. Did that ever happen with 360?[/QUOTE]

Xbox outselling the 360, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

[quote name='Plinko']PS3 got crushed last month--the previous-gen system sold more then double its predecessor. Did that ever happen with 360?[/QUOTE]

I'd take that more as a positive for the PS2, and not a negative for the PS3. The PS2 is one of the most successful consoles ever, so is it really that bad that it outsells the PS3? I wouldn't really think so. Just looking at the two systems, I can see why.

[quote name='dpatel']I'd take that more as a positive for the PS2, and not a negative for the PS3. The PS2 is one of the most successful consoles ever, so is it really that bad that it outsells the PS3? I wouldn't really think so. Just looking at the two systems, I can see why.[/quote]

Yea, its like saying its bad that the DS outsells the Wii...

I guess it can sound bad how you word it. But it really isnt bad at all...

[quote name='gokou36']Xbox outselling the 360, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?[/QUOTE]

I think Plinko was trying to infer that that didn't happen because everyone was happy with the 360 and they were buying the new system. But it was a bad comparison to begin with.

MS pretty much declared the xbox to be dead even before the 360 launched. Sony's keeping the PS2 alive - now they have a cheap and expensive console on the market.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']THE PS3 is definetally absolutely amazing at this point.

These are my predictions. Suck it down with a load of mayo.[/quote]

When I started reading this I thought you were being sarcastic. ;)

I agree that the PS3 will probably overtake the 360 eventually, but at this point it hasn't. Though I can't really say there are a ton of games for the 360 that blow me away, the PS3 doesn't have any yet. There's no doubt that the great games will come at some point, but for now it's ridiculous to describe the PS3 as "definitely absolutely amazing". IMO the launches and following 6 months for both the 360 and PS3 have been disappointing.

[quote name='onikage']When I started reading this I thought you were being sarcastic. ;)

I agree that the PS3 will probably overtake the 360 eventually, but at this point it hasn't. Though I can't really say there are a ton of games for the 360 that blow me away, the PS3 doesn't have any yet. There's no doubt that the great games will come at some point, but for now it's ridiculous to describe the PS3 as "definitely absolutely amazing". IMO the launches and following 6 months for both the 360 and PS3 have been disappointing.[/quote]
I think it comes down to Fanboyism. That little thing in your head where you go, "Ugh I hope this console kicks the others ass." And thats what makes the games appealing and not.

For me I am slightly Sony Sided cause I ussually root for the underdog of the generation. (Not talking company). And for me, I know this. For most they really don't realise it. Does it mean I completely hate all things Xbox or Wii? No. Because I am able to surpress those urges of that gut feeling of, "Damnit. Cant believe they got a good game" and can just say, "That is a pretty sweet game. Cant wait to play it." A very high percentage of people are unable to do this, they go with their gut feeling of being faithful to their subconcious console of choice.

So the games I say are intinsified by atleast 2-3x's. And visa versa the 360 games are -2x's less and the Wii is around -4x's less. (Although I really try hard not to show this. AND think of the game as a whole.)

Its definetally subconcious. Because it just so happens those people that love everything on the 360, just hates everything the PS3 has to offer.

It's like when I posted about Gamers day in another forum one of the guys stated, "None of these games appeal to me. Really only FFXIII is appealing to me at this point." Hmm, Ratchet, Uncharted and Heavenly Sword and the others peaks no interest, yet FFXIII does. Is it because it has a high chance of going to the 360? Yea. Yea it is.

Thats why arguing on forums don't work. Because you aren't really arguing what is acctually of higher quality. But you are arguing on a subconcious fanboy level. Thats why its rare to see someone go, "You know what. You guys are right. LBP does look really cool. Sorry for arguing with you." Thats because it has nothing to do with the game but the principle.

BUT, this post comes down to me not being able to explain things. I hope someone understands my point and speaks it in a more clear manner.

Cause it kind of sounds like I am saying, "You dont like PS3 because you only like Xbox!" its deeper than that.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I think it comes down to Fanboyism. That little thing in your head where you go, "Ugh I hope this console kicks the others ass." And thats what makes the games appealing and not.

For me I am slightly Sony Sided cause I ussually root for the underdog of the generation. (Not talking company). And for me, I know this. For most they really don't realise it. Does it mean I completely hate all things Xbox or Wii? No. Because I am able to surpress those urges of that gut feeling of, "Damnit. Cant believe they got a good game" and can just say, "That is a pretty sweet game. Cant wait to play it." A very high percentage of people are unable to do this, they go with their gut feeling of being faithful to their subconcious console of choice.

So the games I say are intinsified by atleast 2-3x's. And visa versa the 360 games are -2x's less and the Wii is around -4x's less. (Although I really try hard not to show this. AND think of the game as a whole.)

Its definetally subconcious. Because it just so happens those people that love everything on the 360, just hates everything the PS3 has to offer.

It's like when I posted about Gamers day in another forum one of the guys stated, "None of these games appeal to me. Really only FFXIII is appealing to me at this point." Hmm, Ratchet, Uncharted and Heavenly Sword and the others peaks no interest, yet FFXIII does. Is it because it has a high chance of going to the 360? Yea. Yea it is.

Thats why arguing on forums don't work. Because you aren't really arguing what is acctually of higher quality. But you are arguing on a subconcious fanboy level. Thats why its rare to see someone go, "You know what. You guys are right. LBP does look really cool. Sorry for arguing with you." Thats because it has nothing to do with the game but the principle.

BUT, this post comes down to me not being able to explain things. I hope someone understands my point and speaks it in a more clear manner.

Cause it kind of sounds like I am saying, "You dont like PS3 because you only like Xbox!" its deeper than that.[/QUOTE]

I see what you're saying. I wouldn't go so far as to call it fanboyism, but it's more like an inherit bias that everyone has. More people are biased than others, but it's impossible to be completely unbiased.

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']It's just you[/QUOTE]
No. Btw, Colts suck. Bears FTW!!
[quote name='javeryh']It's you.[/QUOTE]You only say that due to your Nintendo glasses always being on.

I think PS3 is becoming more and more awesome. Glad I bought mine and the best thing I own IMO.

[quote name='dpatel']I see what you're saying. I wouldn't go so far as to call it fanboyism, but it's more like an inherit bias that everyone has. More people are biased than others, but it's impossible to be completely unbiased.[/quote]

Yea! There you go.

Haha. You are so good at deciphering what I say, and then putting it into a few sentences.

The PS3 is looking fine, just that price tag holds it back. I'm not a fanboy of any system or company. I had all three systems last generation and will probably buy all three this generation. Hell, I even got a Zune. The Playstation brand will bound back from all the negative press it got during the launch and with their selection of first and second party games that aren't fps will probably be what defines the system. It seems half the games on the 360 are of the fps/action genre.

With that being said, I actually have little interest in anything that Sony is coming out with this year on the PS3 except for maybe MGS4 if that gets release and Lair, Assassin's Creed and Tekken, not sure on when those comes out. There is no need to worry about having a lack of good games as those will come out all within the next six months.

I guess what I'm trying to say is yes, the Playstation 3 will be successful, but the main thing that is holding it back is the price. And that is a big negative as when parents go to buy their kids a new game system for christmas or whatever, not knowing much they'll probably get their kids a xbox as it is $200 cheaper and is nearly equal.

I notice that everytime there's negative press about PS3, the xbox fangirls are quick to point out but whenever there's negative press about 360, they're quiet as a bat.

Anyone notice gamespot's(i wonder how much MS paying them) bias towards the 360? They put up that GTA IV news about the 360's lack of HDD but they didn't put in the info about the DVD hindering the development as well.

I think some of you are in a dream world if you think the PS3 is amazing right now. How many great games are available that are already out on the 360?

Still waiting for an excuse to actually BUY a PS3 game.

[quote name='gizmogc']I think some of you are in a dream world if you think the PS3 is amazing right now. How many great games are available that are already out on the 360?

Still waiting for an excuse to actually BUY a PS3 game.[/QUOTE]

To me, the 360 ports aren't any less amazing, seeing as how I don't own a 360. That's irrelevant though, since most of us are talking about the future of the PS3, based on Sony's "Gamer's Day".

[quote name='gizmogc']I think some of you are in a dream world if you think the PS3 is amazing right now. How many great games are available that are already out on the 360?

I'm right here in reality, drinking a pepsi (at least I think it's a pepsi)... :wave:

I think people who excuse the failure rate of the 360 are in the dream world (that includes people in Microsoft itself). And that goes without saying that the new black 360 is suffering the same issues... but hey... as a 360 owner... I should not have to live in fear of the red rings....

I'd rather play my PS3.... Tekken 5-DR... and well, Oblivion is a joy to play (I didn't buy the 360 edition...) I also love VF-5... That's not to say I don't play my 360...

I'm not interested in Halo 3. Maybe I'm the only one, but I just don't see the drool factor.

YMMV. The PS3 is whisper quiet, which is a plus... But it's not cheap. Of course I think $400 is a bit steep... It's getting ridiculous... I hope the next--next--gen console makers don't decide to be $1000. ;)

Come to the dark side... we've got cookies! \\:D/

The PS3 is an awesome next gen system... I'm going to give it credit...it's unfortunate that its 600 dollars... at 450, or maybe even 500 the ps3 would be doing a lot better. The Elites are selling at 478, so then a ps3, at that price might do better. Its too bad that they got rid of the 20gb models, because they could have price droped those first.

People want the ps3, they know its good, but people just can't spare 600 plus dollars for entertainment... and they shouldn't have to.

gizmo we know you don't like the PS3, why do you have to show your stupid face in every ps3/blu ray thread? For someone that hates the ps3/blu ray so much yet you still buy their products, are you that stupid? Seriously dude stop with your incessant whining and just stay in the 360 boards, the only thing you're doing is showing everyone that you're a 360 fanboy.

The PS3 is doing well for a game system that's $600 and has a very small software library.

I'll jump in when there's a lot more titles to choose from and the price isn't so high.

The PS3 needs to drop $100 to be taken seriously.

Remember, you can't be enthusiastic about the launch of the PS3 when over half of the first million systems were bought with the sole intention of reselling them to some poor sucker.

[quote name='JJSP']Remember, you can't be enthusiastic about the launch of the PS3 when over half of the first million systems were bought with the sole intention of reselling them to some poor sucker.[/QUOTE]

Well, they DID get sold, didn't they?

[quote name='dpatel']Well, they DID get sold, didn't they?[/QUOTE]
Hell, I bought one. I sold it a week later, but still.

I've yet to see a single game that really validates the purchase of a PS3. There's absolutely nothing on Sony's big black box that makes me want to own one.

[quote name='JJSP']Hell, I bought one. I sold it a week later, but still.[/QUOTE]

Yea, that's all I was saying. Just because they were sold on eBay doesn't make them any less valid as a sale.

[quote name='JJSP']I've yet to see a single game that really validates the purchase of a PS3. There's absolutely nothing on Sony's big black box that makes me want to own one.[/QUOTE]

Yea, agreed. With the steep price and drought of games, I don't blame you, but I think you may have been a bit hasty with the sale. I always stick with a console for at least a year before getting rid of it. It's just too soon to tell whether or not you like it. But that's just me. You had your reasons, and that's cool.

The PS3 is still in trouble as of right now. However, once their big exclusives start coming out, then they will reach a turning point in my opinion.

Right now all the people who bought a PS3 are considered hardcore and/or were willing to trust Sony about their system's potential.

As the recent April sales show, the Sony still has some work ahead of them. And for people pointing out that the PS2 is selling so well, that actually works against Sony and their need to sell PS3s. The thing is that the PS2 has so many great games so many people don't see the need to upgrade to a PS3 and that ultimately hurts Sony in trying to push those people to adopt a newer more expensive console. Many people are still satisfied with their PS2s so they figure why pay $600 when I don't need all those extra features.

SUMMARY:

Basically these 3 things are really working against Sony:
- PS2: Many people are still happy with their PS2 and don't feel the immediate need to upgrade.
- Price: $600 is a lot of money for most people so it's mainly hardcore people who are buying it.
- Software/Games: There aren't many exclusive AAA titles out right now for the PS3. Most of their games are ports from the 360.

Once Sony addresses those 3 major issues even more people will purchase PS3s and that will mark the turning point. It can all be fixed with a price drop and the passage of time (PS2 gets even older/gamers get tired of old games and PS3 has more attractive titles out).

Personally, I don't buy into potential and can wait. Yes, I do have a 360 and love it, but I also have a PS2 and had a PS1 and will eventually get a PS3. It just doesn't offer a vastly different experience right now and I think once those great titles they announced start to come out is when the PS3 will finally be turning a corner. Most likely that'll be towards the end of this year and into next Spring.

bread's done
Back