Is it new if its already opened?

[quote name='"eldad9"']You really should have returned it.[/quote]

I actually did get another disc from a different store, but the game was already open, so that's all they were willing to do.

Thanks for expressing your concern Rage,

for calling the number, thats something i think is a good advice.

Having display cases etc of course would cost money, but there is also a market for gamers who want their games new. And this also translates to lost sales.

I myself wont personally by a full priced game if its been opened. (Even if the disc looks good) Despite scratches etc, there are other damages that can occur. Im sure many employees are careful. But like someone said earlier, seeing a rubber band attached around a cd and manual isnt a good sight. I have also seen this. And this is something that would be hard to control nationwide.

I don't blame the employees or in your case managers... Cause its our choice as the buyer to buy the game or not. Luckally I have a target,wallmart,tru, and 3 vid game stores all close to one another. If im disatisfied enough ill just walk a minute to the other store.

However eb is still to blame for some of these things,

Used games being shipped as new from Ebgames.com, the problem if someone puts a reserve down and only a store opened copy remains, and even though a store opened game can be returned if its not working right, its wastes to customers time.

ok hopefully this makes sense, i should sleep.

i can tolerate open copies at new prices most of the time, depends if the box and disc is in good condition. im sure majority are with me on this. but what i cannot tolerate is EB AND GS PUTS THE DAMNNN PRICE STICKERS ON THE COVER. some even have 2 or 3 stacked unevenly on top each other. or some have a sticker that say "NEW" and its the last copy.. what idiot in marketing thought this up...

[quote name='Alpha2']"gutting" multiple copies is stupid. I'm not any more likely to buy a game just because you put 5 copies of the box on the shelf.[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly. It's the district manager that chooses how many to gut. I remember in particular back in December, he called for four copies of Double Dash to be gutted.. I brought up my concern with my manager at the time, saying people won't buy it just because they see a ton of boxes there.

AFAIK (As Far As I Know), for the GC section, it was done to fill up space. We rarely did it with XBox games.. that is, until they decided to change the layout of the store and have a "new release" XBox section.

Maybe it's just my store.. but they ended that "renting" of the games a LONG time ago. I don't recall ever selling anything used as new.. but as far as gutting games and selling them as new.. yeah, we did that. That actually brings back a recent memory.. I went to the same EB and bought the last copy of DMC2. I get home and look on the back.. marks everywhere.. not scratches or fingerprints or anything, it just looks warped. I know it's a new copy, it'd just been sitting out. I showed it to the manager.. not a problem, soon as the next shipment came in, I received a sealed copy. He threw mine in the defect pile.

Instead of just complaining, just make friends with the local manager. If they're somewhat nice, they might help you out.

I bought a display copy of Dead Or Alive at KB Toys for the PlayStation 2. I looked at the back of the disc and it looked brand new.

I know people have voiced this before...but what really gets me is how ballsy some EB stores are that they try to sneak an opened copy past you without telling you, and even try to argue with you when you don't want it. I remember seeing a young woman walk back into the store after having purchased a game, saying "I need a NEW copy, not used". They never even mentioned to her she was getting an unsealed copy, then they tried to make her feel stupid, telling her "it is new." She returned the game, but they were not friendly at all. Last week I was buying Shrek 2 as a gift and I saw the cashier looking around in the glass case, go out onto the floor and grab a game case off the wall and start putting it together. She seemed shocked when I refused to buy it.

Just my choice, but I will NEVER pay a new price for an unsealed game. Aside from the obvious reasons of wanting a new, untouched copy....often I don't even open games for a few weeks....and plenty of times before I even open the game I find it elsewhere from CAG for 10-20 less. I want to have my full 14 days or whatever to return the item, and sure as hell they're not going to let you return your "new" unsealed game.

the reason i never goto EB much anymore is because of a run in i had with them last year. They put shenmue 2 on sale for 9.99, and i wanted it. So naturally i bough it, and found the shrink wrap to be that nice pathetic heat gun job of a resealing.

It didnt bother me at the time, because i thought about how some xbox games have different seals on them. So i get home, open it up, and notice that the disks arent even in the case, instead there in cardboard sleeves in front of the instruction manual when you open it up (?).

i took them out of the sleeves and noticed how pathically awful the discs looked, these were worse then discs that looked like they had a fight with a cheese grater.

Anyway by the time i got back to eb, i told the game i received was not sealed and not new and the game was all scratched up. The employees gave me very dirty looks and treated me like dirt during the whole returning process, i even remember one of the guys laughing and making fun of me as i was leaving the store. needless to say, after i finally got the game returned, i went back a week later and for whatever reason, every employee and the manager was fired anyway....the store still sucks, but that nasty expierence left such a bad taste in my mouth that i don't think i'd ever be able to get over.

another note. am i the only one tired of going to video game stores with clerks who know nothing about what they sell? Im tired of asking opinions on a game and always hearing 'ya its a good game" and there reply is very sheepish like that usually, which is a dead give away they know nothing.

Usually i can find a employee i trust by picking up the box of a game i already beaten and know about, bringing it up to him, asking how the game is. if he uses the clice "ya its a good game", i then ask a few questions about the gameplay and stuff to see what he really knows. If i feel he really played the game, then i trust his opinion for games, if hes obviously lying (or appears to be just "scanning the back insert" before telling you) then i dont ask anymore.

simple as that.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']i even remember one of the guys laughing and making fun of me as i was leaving the store.[/quote]

I would've knocked the hell out of that guy. My EB's employees are generally very nice and laid back. One of them doesn't really know what he's doing, but he's still a nice guy. I doubt it will happen, but I'm dreading the day that an EB employee mouths off to me and we end up in a 3 on 1 wrestling match.

[quote name='Scorch']You guys are the most anal people on the face of the whole damn planet, I swear to you.

We (at EB) open up one game (or three, depending on what the manager calls for) to put it out on display. This is called "gutting". The employees do NOT get to play the games, despite what you may think. Two years ago, we could "rent" out a game for ONE night, and if we did, we would have to write a review on it.

At any rate, yes, one (or a few) copies are gutted, then the instructions and game disc are inserted in a plastic sleeve. I don't see what the big deal is. We HAVE to gut them so some cheapasses like you won't steal the game.[/quote]

Then do you want to tell me why EB sent me this instead of my new game that I ordered?

seal.jpg

disc.jpg

disc2.jpg

We aren't anal (well... I am, but anyone would be pissed if ^^ that was sent to them), we just don't want to be ripped off.

Oh and keep in mind that those are WEBCAM shots, VERY low resolution. That means the scratches are very, very deep. That issue has been resolved, my money was refunded, but I'm never ordering from those fuckers again. If I happen to be in Eugene again and they have a good deal, I'll pick it up IN STORE ONLY because then I'll actually be able to see if it is factory sealed or not.

EBGames.com selling resealed display copies as new is just plain wrong, and possibly illegal. The customer doesn't even have a chance to reject it.

[quote name='eldad9'][quote name='gizmogc']The reason retailers won't return opened games is because of piracy. Its very easy now to burn a game onto an xbox, or just copy the game.
If the game has been at the store the entire time, its very difficult to copy it.[/quote]

Yeah, right. That's why all retailers let you return opened gamecube games.[/quote]

Uhh, you can make copies of Cube games as well (do a search, I'm not getting banned). Nearly every retailer won't let you return any software or CD based medium. Why? Because of piracy. If you bough Shrek 2 for Xbox when you should have gotten it for PS2, and opened it, good luck getting the PS2 version. If you buy Shrek 2 for xbox, opened it, and want Van Helsing, its never gonna happen.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']another note. am i the only one tired of going to video game stores with clerks who know nothing about what they sell? Im tired of asking opinions on a game and always hearing 'ya its a good game" and there reply is very sheepish like that usually, which is a dead give away they know nothing.[/quote]

Most people who get paid $7.25 or so will NOT know every game backwards and forwards. Get over it. Just because they work at a specialty store, does not mean there gonna know how Piglets Big Adventure is, or how Cy Girls played. C'mon. I don't expect to walk in any store and ask an employee who makes less then $10 a bunch of questions and expect them to know it (i.e. Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Fry's...)

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']
Anyway by the time i got back to eb, i told the game i received was not sealed and not new and the game was all scratched up. The employees gave me very dirty looks and treated me like dirt during the whole returning process, i even remember one of the guys laughing and making fun of me as i was leaving the store. needless to say, after i finally got the game returned, i went back a week later and for whatever reason, every employee and the manager was fired anyway....the store still sucks, but that nasty expierence left such a bad taste in my mouth that i don't think i'd ever be able to get over.

another note. am i the only one tired of going to video game stores with clerks who know nothing about what they sell? Im tired of asking opinions on a game and always hearing 'ya its a good game" and there reply is very sheepish like that usually, which is a dead give away they know nothing.
[/quote]

I have seen This at SEVERAL EBs. I used to shop only EB (before Gamestop, BB, Target and CC came to town). But the pathetic employees are the primary reason I will NEVER go into a EB again! The employees will say anything to push a sale, and they don't know a thing about what they are saying (going off personal experiance at local stores). Plus, most of their used games cost more then NEW games at the other local stores.
But anyway, if EB would train their employees a little better and teach them not to talk down to every customer and only talk about thing they really know, perhaps I would shop there...but with the prices higher than other stores...I doubt.

[quote name='jer7583']The only store that has a good excuse for this is gamecrazy.
They have a policy that you can try out any game in the store before buying, so sometimes their new games are resealed because people try them and end up not buying. I think its awesome, At gamecrazy yesterday the guy let me try out mario vs donkey kong on a Classic NES GBASP, opening both of them new, I ended up buying MvDK anyway. Same thing happened with ninja gaiden, chick let me try out a new copy on the xbox they had. I think its awesome.

EB and Gamestop just open up employee copies, the employees play them, and then try to sell them as new, thats why those stores are terrible.[/quote]

Wait, so how is the copy GameCrazy is going to reseal and sell not used?

[quote name='gizmogc'][quote name='thingsfallnapart']another note. am i the only one tired of going to video game stores with clerks who know nothing about what they sell? Im tired of asking opinions on a game and always hearing 'ya its a good game" and there reply is very sheepish like that usually, which is a dead give away they know nothing.[/quote]

Most people who get paid $7.25 or so will NOT know every game backwards and forwards. Get over it. Just because they work at a specialty store, does not mean there gonna know how Piglets Big Adventure is, or how Cy Girls played. C'mon. I don't expect to walk in any store and ask an employee who makes less then $10 a bunch of questions and expect them to know it (i.e. Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Fry's...)[/quote]

Which is why we check games out at GS. We try to play a little bit and get some product knowledge. Most of the time I end up just quoting GI or EGM's review of the game. I can't beleive how many people come in the day the game releases and asks me how good the game is. How the freak should I know, I have been at work since 8am, the game came in at 10. Do you really think all I do is play games at work all day. Gimme a break. :evil:

But seriously, for the most part, my customers are great. And we always tell people they are getting the last copy before we ring them up just so they know it is opened.

EB has vendor sales every month. They have a list of games that must be sold that month to make their numbers. All hell breaks loose if they don't. So, yes, they will push whatever is supposed to be sold that month just to get you to buy it. I refused to sell crap games, but I explained why it sucked and suggested something much better along the same lines. The new Turok was vendor when it came out. That was the only month we didn't make out numbers but not one store did in my area. Right now I believe Riddick, Full Spectrum and one other are vendor. As for the open game issue, it has been a sore subject at EB for a while. They also used to put "Tested" on their pre owned system boxes. They weren't tested. We just shoved them in a box and sold it to the next person. I believe they have removed that phrase from the cartons. EB has been the target of many lawsuits for this kind of crap.

[quote name='FREAKMIKE3'][quote name='jer7583']The only store that has a good excuse for this is gamecrazy.
They have a policy that you can try out any game in the store before buying, so sometimes their new games are resealed because people try them and end up not buying. I think its awesome, At gamecrazy yesterday the guy let me try out mario vs donkey kong on a Classic NES GBASP, opening both of them new, I ended up buying MvDK anyway. Same thing happened with ninja gaiden, chick let me try out a new copy on the xbox they had. I think its awesome.

EB and Gamestop just open up employee copies, the employees play them, and then try to sell them as new, thats why those stores are terrible.[/quote]

Wait, so how is the copy GameCrazy is going to reseal and sell not used?[/quote]

I usully never re-shrinkwrap agame onces its been opened. That way I can tell them "Its been opened, and you get $xx off." If they pass, its there loss. Someone else WILL buy it.

obviously they aren't new~ how will u know the games are not used anyway~? if they are already opened~?? they are just making money from these tricks, and the prices aren't worth at all

At Game Crazy, ALL new games are behind the counter. So if its open, its been played by a customer that didn't want it (in the store, the game never left the store).

As far as I'm concerned if it isn't in the factory shrink wrap, it's used. I think this thread proves that YMMV with this procedure. Some stores keep it behind the counter where no one touches it, others let their employee's rent it. If I'm paying full price it had damn well better be in the shrink wrap. At least gamecrazy gives a discount, that I have no problem with, and if it came down to it, I'd probably rather have the 2-3$ discount game crazy gives if the disc looks good.

This reminds me of an auction on ebay. I got Gauntlet Legends-NEW- It was sent to me in an envelope with the instruction manual. If game dosent have a case or has been handled outside its case it isn't new IMO.

[quote name='Sockey']This reminds me of an auction on ebay. I got Gauntlet Legends-NEW- It was sent to me in an envelope with the instruction manual. If game dosent have a case or has been handled outside its case it isn't new IMO.[/quote]
If that happened to me I would insist on some of my money back or send it back for a full refund.

First off, I think it's kind of funny that people say piracy is the main reason that retailers won't accept opened games. Guess what: companies implement policies because they directly benefit themselves. Doesn't it make sense that the reason they don't allow returns on opened games so that people don't abuse their return policy and effectively "rent" the game from them while they would be forced to sell the returned game at a lower price? For example, Circuit City used to have a 30 day return policy on camcorders if I'm not mistaken. Due to people buying those products then returning just as if they had borrowed them from a friend, CC implemented a 14 day return policy AND added a 15% restocking fee on abused items like that. Now, I'm sure that if people "rented" items from retailers, it would p*ss them off, but the main reason they stopped that sort of behavior is because THEY LOST MONEY! They were forced to sell the product at a lower price because it was used and did not gain anything from the customer who "rented" it out.

Also, if I'm totally off the mark here, someone please correct me, but it seems like out of people who have a pirated version of a certain game, more than 99% of them are people who have reaped the benefits of less than 1% of people who have actually done the pirating procedure. Come on, I don't know anyone that would buy a PS2 game, copy it through a fairly complicated technique, burn it, and subsequently return it if they could cut out the first and third steps and just download it from somewhere and then burn it. Even if you're just talking about the people who initially release the illegal copies, that's only a handful of people. That's not a widespread epidemic that the retailers would have to worry about in terms of loss. I still don't understand how the hell you could figure that enough people would copy games themselves and then return it to constitute a substantial loss? You give the average game buyer too much credit in terms of what they know and how much effort they would go through when there is an easier way out there.

I would also like to throw in my own thoughts about the actual difference between "new" and "used." Now if I'm not mistaken, EB and GameStop will allow you to return a used game that you bought if it didn't work, and if that's not the case and they figure that once it's out of their hands that it's not their problem anymore then they are real b*stards. Before my next sentence, I understand that not all used games are sold with manuals, but in my own experience several of them do include manuals, so assume that my question applies to those used games that DO include manuals. With that out of the way, why the hell would anyone buy a more expensive NEW version of a game instead of a cheaper USED version of the game that is guaranteed to work just as well as the new one (that is to say, it actually runs)?

I think that the answer is that people are interested in the cosmetic appearance of the product, but beyond that they are more comfortable in the knowledge that they have received what is supposed to be a perfect condition product that was intended by the manufacturer to have gone to the consumer in the same condition that they released it. I mean, if you buy a NEW car would you expect to recieve a factory new car, or a display car that had not been sold or driven around, but had been on the showroom floor and hundreds of people and their kids had put their hands all over it and climbed in and out of it? If my interest in a NEW game is because I feel good having a product that has come from the manufacturer to me in the same way that they released it, then it is not acceptable to have one that has been opened before delivery to the consumer. If I pay top dollar for a NEW product, I want to get the NEW product that I paid for, not just something that is "not used."

Edit: I almost forgot to add this: with that in mind I think it is wrong and misleading to sell games that have been opened as new ones. I bet if you call games companies, they will tell you that their intention is that consumers will open the manufacturer's packaging on their products.

I think the "New Car" analogy is a little off. I've NEVER seen a car with "0" miles on it. There's always someone getting in it, rubbing the fabric, tturning on the lights, the stereo, the A/C, and taking it for a test-drive and making me pay 30,000 for something that, 3 days later, the damn seat breaks....

[quote name='Kaijufan'][quote name='Sockey']This reminds me of an auction on ebay. I got Gauntlet Legends-NEW- It was sent to me in an envelope with the instruction manual. If game dosent have a case or has been handled outside its case it isn't new IMO.[/quote]
If that happened to me I would insist on some of my money back or send it back for a full refund.[/quote]

I asked for a refund. He refused to give me it.

[quote name='bobalu387']First off, I think it's kind of funny that people say piracy is the main reason that retailers won't accept opened games. Guess what: companies implement policies because they directly benefit themselves. Doesn't it make sense that the reason they don't allow returns on opened games so that people don't abuse their return policy and effectively "rent" the game from them while they would be forced to sell the returned game at a lower price? For example, Circuit City used to have a 30 day return policy on camcorders if I'm not mistaken. Due to people buying those products then returning just as if they had borrowed them from a friend, CC implemented a 14 day return policy AND added a 15% restocking fee on abused items like that. Now, I'm sure that if people "rented" items from retailers, it would p*ss them off, but the main reason they stopped that sort of behavior is because THEY LOST MONEY! They were forced to sell the product at a lower price because it was used and did not gain anything from the customer who "rented" it out.

Also, if I'm totally off the mark here, someone please correct me, but it seems like out of people who have a pirated version of a certain game, more than 99% of them are people who have reaped the benefits of less than 1% of people who have actually done the pirating procedure. Come on, I don't know anyone that would buy a PS2 game, copy it through a fairly complicated technique, burn it, and subsequently return it if they could cut out the first and third steps and just download it from somewhere and then burn it. Even if you're just talking about the people who initially release the illegal copies, that's only a handful of people. That's not a widespread epidemic that the retailers would have to worry about in terms of loss. I still don't understand how the hell you could figure that enough people would copy games themselves and then return it to constitute a substantial loss? You give the average game buyer too much credit in terms of what they know and how much effort they would go through when there is an easier way out there.

I would also like to throw in my own thoughts about the actual difference between "new" and "used." Now if I'm not mistaken, EB and GameStop will allow you to return a used game that you bought if it didn't work, and if that's not the case and they figure that once it's out of their hands that it's not their problem anymore then they are real b*stards. Before my next sentence, I understand that not all used games are sold with manuals, but in my own experience several of them do include manuals, so assume that my question applies to those used games that DO include manuals. With that out of the way, why the hell would anyone buy a more expensive NEW version of a game instead of a cheaper USED version of the game that is guaranteed to work just as well as the new one (that is to say, it actually runs)?

I think that the answer is that people are interested in the cosmetic appearance of the product, but beyond that they are more comfortable in the knowledge that they have received what is supposed to be a perfect condition product that was intended by the manufacturer to have gone to the consumer in the same condition that they released it. I mean, if you buy a NEW car would you expect to recieve a factory new car, or a display car that had not been sold or driven around, but had been on the showroom floor and hundreds of people and their kids had put their hands all over it and climbed in and out of it? If my interest in a NEW game is because I feel good having a product that has come from the manufacturer to me in the same way that they released it, then it is not acceptable to have one that has been opened before delivery to the consumer. If I pay top dollar for a NEW product, I want to get the NEW product that I paid for, not just something that is "not used."

Edit: I almost forgot to add this: with that in mind I think it is wrong and misleading to sell games that have been opened as new ones. I bet if you call games companies, they will tell you that their intention is that consumers will open the manufacturer's packaging on their products.[/quote]

EB and GS give you at least 90 days for a used warranty. Like you said, if everything is there and there are no major scratches ( I can stand small, light ones myself) I love to save myself $5, even $10 if I have a discount card.

Now, I will have to backtrack through some web searches I did a while ago, but I recall an article at one time that said stores in some locations had over 30% of their xbox games returned (new ones mind you). People were either *renting* the new games or pirating them. Now, I point out that this was a major problem in the xbox category because xbox is the easiest one to copy games for on an individual basis, is it not? So most companies do have a strong reason to not return opened new games.

[quote name='Scorch']You guys are the most anal people on the face of the whole damn planet, I swear to you.

We (at EB) open up one game (or three, depending on what the manager calls for) to put it out on display. This is called "gutting". The employees do NOT get to play the games, despite what you may think. Two years ago, we could "rent" out a game for ONE night, and if we did, we would have to write a review on it.

At any rate, yes, one (or a few) copies are gutted, then the instructions and game disc are inserted in a plastic sleeve. I don't see what the big deal is. We HAVE to gut them so some cheapasses like you won't steal the game.[/quote]

You opened them and now they are used. That is the cost of doing business. You should just sell them as used. If your business does not like that cost then purchase the security cases that Best Buy uses.

Reality's Fringe said:
I think the "New Car" analogy is a little off. I've NEVER seen a car with "0" miles on it. There's always someone getting in it, rubbing the fabric, tturning on the lights, the stereo, the A/C, and taking it for a test-drive and making me pay 30,000 for something that, 3 days later, the damn seat breaks....

Yes but you get a 3 year 30,000 mile warranty from bumper to bumper.

Not to mention that selling cars with a small number of miles is an industry standard and there really isn't an alternative to the practice. Resealing used games, on the other hand, isn't standard as Gamestop and EB are the only ones that do it. I agree with the guy who said to use black DVD cases with printed sleeves or they could just sell the last copy at 10 %off.

[quote name='Puzznic']Not to mention that selling cars with a small number of miles is an industry standard and there really isn't an alternative to the practice. Resealing used games, on the other hand, isn't standard as Gamestop and EB are the only ones that do it. I agree with the guy who said to use black DVD cases with printed sleeves or they could just sell the last copy at 10 %off.[/quote]

Using black cases is a good idea, but really, it is impossible. Too many games, too much artwork. Its hard enough just trying to use the front side copies we have to sell used games. It is just a daunting task that is not worth it in the end. You could seel the final copy at 10% off, but then for a popular game that I may sell out of every 3 days until the fad dies down, you are telling me I have to give 10% off every couple of days. Not gonna happen. You guys are just in the minority, sad to say. Like someone said earlier, you may not be willing to buy it, but someone else will be since they dont want to drive across town for some silly plastic.

Who says you have to gut a new copy every shipment? that's just stupid and inefficient.

Pull ONE. O-N-E copy out for display put the game in a safe place, when you sell out take the thing off the shelf and say you're SOLD OUT until the next shipment comes in and put the case back on the shelf.

What is so difficult about this?

Yeah you;ll probably get some know nothing soccer mom to buy a pre opened game for full price but if you have ANY gamers at all comming to your store and you SHOULD because you're running a GAME STORE, you're going to get people who complain about it. So atleast have the guts to tell people it's pre opened before you sell it so they can turn it down as many enevitably will.

I don't like the way EB and GAMESTOP do business in terms of selling open games as new. But that is not as annoying as selling a NEW game without a box for only 10% off (mostly gameboy games).

I mean come on, 10% off for a NEW game and it's missing it's original box? That's not NEW game anymore, that's clearly used when you no longer have a box.

Let me ask those EB or GAMESTOP people a question. If a customer bought a NEW SEALED game today and tomorrow that same customer brings back the game, opened, and without box, but UNPLAYED, would you take it as NEW?

I doubt it!

[quote name='btantra']I don't like the way EB and GAMESTOP do business in terms of selling open games as new. But that is not as annoying as selling a NEW game without a box for only 10% off (mostly gameboy games).

I mean come on, 10% off for a NEW game and it's missing it's original box? That's not NEW game anymore, that's clearly used when you no longer have a box.

Let me ask those EB or GAMESTOP people a question. If a customer bought a NEW SEALED game today and tomorrow that same customer brings back the game, opened, and without box, but UNPLAYED, would you take it as NEW?

I doubt it![/quote]

OK, you have a point there with the gameboy games. Or any game that is new, but has had its case stolen. I will give a deep discount on that more than likely. 10% isnt a policy, its just what the person you spoke to today want to give you.

OK, now lets say you bought this caseless game for say, 40% off. Would you buy it? If you would, then guess what, I am still selling you a new game. This arguement shouldnt be over whether it is new or used, but whether you should get a discount.

And if you brought in a new, totally sealed copy of the game to trade me, do you think I would take it back as new? No. I take it back as used and it gets a used price (assuming you were trading and not returning with a receipt)

Also, to Alpha: Like I said before, the number of people who dont care if it is opened or not outway the ones who do. Not by a few people, but probably 50 to 1.

Remember guys, it is not always what is the best thing for the customer, but what offers the least complexity to workers sometimes. Some people know exactly what they want. Some people read the back of games to see if it looks good. Some people like to read the instruction manual to see if it is a good game. Some people read the strat guide to see if it looks good. Some people like to buy used. Some like new only. Some people trade their games. Some never do. Everyone is different and its cool. But because of that, it means that we will never be able to satisfy everyone.

Eh, I think I have spoken too much about this subject, so I think I will find another thread.

Not to try and get you to speak more on the topic because it not like you can change EB store policy but;

All I'm saying is tell people before they buy a preopened copy and maybe some people will cut the stores some slack. Because people get upset about it whether you;re blessed enough to have fewer customers who complain or not, you're selling games that are not factory sealed for the price of a factory sealed game without notification.

I had somebody pick up a "new" copy of RE0 from EB last year for me. It was beat to hell. I went back and made them exchange it for a sealed copy. I refuse to buy open copies now.

Well one day I sent my brother into my local EBgames looking for a copy of Metroid Prime, which became a part of Nintendo's Player's Choice Lineup. So the guy sells the poor kid a beat-up, double-sided display case. Not only does it have the same image on both sides, but the case was made to fit a large disc, not a GameCube minidisc.

The next day I go inside the store and ask for a refund/exchange. So the guy picks a used box off the shelf and puts my new disk in the used box. I was pissed at that point and took what he gave me. My brother wasn't too happy about this and walks inside to get a refund, which he does get from the guy. The worker says to my brother, "You wanted a refund, well why didn't ya just ask? Was that your brother who came in here? Cuz that kid's retarted." What a dumbass.

So not only did these saps sell me a shoddy product, but they mistreated their loyal customer. I hope someone has the nerve to bust that guy's sorry ass one day.

[quote name='Alpha2']Not to try and get you to speak more on the topic because it not like you can change EB store policy but;

All I'm saying is tell people before they buy a preopened copy and maybe some people will cut the stores some slack. Because people get upset about it whether you;re blessed enough to have fewer customers who complain or not, you're selling games that are not factory sealed for the price of a factory sealed game without notification.[/quote]

No, I completely understand where you are coming from. I always tell my customers that they are getting the last copy, or if it is a copy that was used as a display, but now it has had its guts placed back inside. Maybe this hostility is coming from the facts thats all stores operate differently. Some managers are shady, no doubt about it. And thats across the board, from gamestop (which I love), to eb, to kbtoys (which I have also had the unfortunate pleasure of working at) to walmart. Some people will reseal and sell without telling you.

And 99% of the time, when I say "Its your lucky day man, my very last copy" the reply I hear is "sweet. glad I got here in time, cuz I dont want to drive to another store." Do I hear some people complain? Yeah. Again, only once every few months, and then I call a store near me to see if they have a sealed copy, and then send the customer on their way.

:twisted: You made me speak more on this silly topic :!:

This frustrates me. I just went in to buy Spawn for gamecube since EB has it for $10.99 new. Bring the display case up to the counter and he pulls out the game from a drawer in a plastic bag and puts it in the display game case. That just isn't new to me, so I said forget it. If it isn't factory sealed I don't consider it new. He said he could reshrinkwrap it if I wanted, but then I still have to get the sticker off, which is a pain. But I guess I'm just really anal about my games, most people probably don't care.

The employee said they do it so the games won't get stolen. I understand that, but couldn't they just lock up the entire shrinkwrapped game leaving out a display case. They only use like 10 % of the store floor space, most of the games are on wall racks. They could just have a locked case behind the wall racks storing all the new copies.

[quote name='redgopher'][quote name='Scorch']You guys are the most anal people on the face of the whole damn planet, I swear to you.

Then do you want to tell me why EB sent me this instead of my new game that I ordered?

disc.jpg

disc2.jpg

We aren't anal (well... I am, but anyone would be pissed if ^^ that was sent to them), we just don't want to be ripped off.[/quote]

that is sooooo sad dude. i totally feel you... hell i'd take this to my local news station and print out the testimonials from CAG. im pretty sure someone would have a field day on EB

has anyone traded in a new game into gamecrazy? they tear the factory wrap and make sure the disc is in there and sell it as used, even though they could see that it is still factory sealed

I say that whether or not a game has been played has nothing to do with whether or not it can be call used.

ANY GAME USED FOR DISPLAY PURPOSES IS USED. It is being used. Used as a doorstop...used. Used as a coaster...used. Just because the disc hasn't spun on a spindle doesn't mean the game isn't used.

Here's the greatest argument i can make for not buying open, new games. Bought a NEW (?) GBA game (Shining Force, I think) from EBGames...got home and there was a saved game on the cartridge.

For the love of God...a saved game...how ludicrous is that? I refuse to buy anything opened as new ANYMORE...without a discount, I'll let someone else pay full price for a "new" game without an instruction manual, or a "new" game with a dinged up, sticky box...

To solve this problem, why don't the manufacturers or distributers just print up an amount of empty boxes with artwork....just like they do when a game is "Coming Soon". There seems to be no need to open an actual final product.

I am in complete agreement. There have been plenty of times where I haven't gotten games from EB or Gamestop because they've been opened and they want to sell the the opened copy at new price. fuck that. If I want an opened copy, I'll find a good-condition used one for cheaper.

[quote name='loserboy']I say that whether or not a game has been played has nothing to do with whether or not it can be call used.

ANY GAME USED FOR DISPLAY PURPOSES IS USED. It is being used. Used as a doorstop...used. Used as a coaster...used. Just because the disc hasn't spun on a spindle doesn't mean the game isn't used.

Here's the greatest argument i can make for not buying open, new games. Bought a NEW (?) GBA game (Shining Force, I think) from EBGames...got home and there was a saved game on the cartridge.

For the love of God...a saved game...how ludicrous is that? I refuse to buy anything opened as new ANYMORE...without a discount, I'll let someone else pay full price for a "new" game without an instruction manual, or a "new" game with a dinged up, sticky box...[/quote]

You have to be consistent:
If open copies are new then that means that the store can be sell open copies as new and returned open copies as new.

If they aren't new then EB can't sell them as new and we can't try to return them as new.

The problem is that they aren't consistent, they try to sell you open copies as new, but they won't take returns on open copies as new.

Also, no other store has to open the games for display copies. Why should EB? Get a display case or put security cases on the games. That is what every other store on the planet does.

EB sucks and their only customers are fools that don't know any better.

[quote name='jshorr']To solve this problem, why don't the manufacturers or distributers just print up an amount of empty boxes with artwork....just like they do when a game is "Coming Soon". There seems to be no need to open an actual final product.[/quote]

Actually, I've recently heard that where I work (Gamestop) will be getting a shipment of display artwork that is very similar to the actual product to use, instead of gutting games. CCould this be the end of gutted games for gamestop? God, I hope so.

[quote name='rimsforsale'][quote name='redgopher'][quote name='Scorch']You guys are the most anal people on the face of the whole damn planet, I swear to you.

disc.jpg

disc2.jpg

We aren't anal (well... I am, but anyone would be pissed if ^^ that was sent to them), we just don't want to be ripped off.[/quote]

that is sooooo sad dude. i totally feel you... hell i'd take this to my local news station and print out the testimonials from CAG. im pretty sure someone would have a field day on EB[/quote]

Where's Jackie Chiles attorney at law when you need him?

bread's done
Back