Is my PC prepared for next-gen?

Prota

CAGiversary!
Hey everyone. I'm sorry if people ask this a lot, but I just wanted to get some feedback on how well my PC would be able to run upcoming games such as Watch Dogs and Titanfall.

CPU: i5 2500k

Video card: Radeon HD 6870 1GB

RAM: 8GB

Would my rig be able to handle playing them well? Also, is there anything I should look into upgrading that may help given that Black Friday is around the corner?

I'm trying to find where I read this, but I remember reading that the PS4's "graphics card" is in the range of the 7850/7870 in terms of power, with 3-5 GB of VRAM available. Your system will definitely be able to run games like Watch Dogs, but expectations should be that it won't perform as well as the new consoles, and the new consoles won't perform as well as $250-300 graphics cards today.

That rig is more than capable of running the games well.  I'm still on a first gen i7 and similar card that runs the newest games on high settings.  After four years with this current PC, I might be building a new one soon though for Witcher 3. ;)

You're definitely going to want a GPU with 2 MB VRAM for the next couple of years.  Anything over that is mostly for multi-monitor or resolutions higher than 1080.  The Radeon 280x series would be a good upgrade -- they're currently going for around $300, compare performance wise with Nvidia 770's, and come with 3 GB VRAM.  You also get free Battlefield 4.  That said you would probably need to upgrade your power supply, too.

Just to throw it out there, for complete rebuilds Microcenter is having a crazy in-store only sale of $200ish for an i7-4770k.  Unfortunately you can't get it online (where other retailers are selling them for $330+) and Microcenter is only in about a dozen states.  But if you live in one, you might want to consider driving there to pick one up.

Last edited by a moderator:
My power supply is a Corsair TX650, hopefully that should be okay for awhile. So if I do upgrade anything then it seems the GPU would be what to look out for. I'm probably good waiting for now though since, according to the feedback, my pc should be able to play those games well enough. Thanks for the input everyone!

And I do happen to live in a state that has a Microcenter, I picked up my i5 2500k last November when they had it on sale. I'll be sure to tell my friend about the CPU deal though since he's been interested in building a pc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your PC is enough to run those games at Medium graphics settings. I would wait until Watch Dogs comes out before deciding on purchasing a video card since ATI is still rolling out their R9s. I've spent $250 on an ATI 7870XT 2GB video card just so that I can play GW2 smoothly at ultra settings. I used to have an 6850 and the performance difference was night and day. I kinda regret not spending more to get a 3GB video card because of the recommended requirement for BF4. You may be able to snag a 7970 3GB for cheap since they are being replaced by R9 280x. 

Everything else on your PC is still pretty good. i5-2500k still outperforms every AMD CPUs in gaming.

bread's done
Back