Is RARE a big waste of money for Microsoft?

tinman_licks

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Seems like it to me. I haven't seen a game from RARE since their move to Xbox I would want to pick up for myself. My nephew maybe, but just nothing from them interests me as an adult. Biggest waste of money evar!

Linky

Yes. However, it is not due to Rare releasing sub-par caliber games. Kameo, Viva Piñata, VP: Trouble in Paradise, and Banjo Kazooie: N&B have been some of the best games released on the 360 in my opinion. The problem is that people are simply not buying these games, which is a huge let down.

[quote name='tinman_licks']Seems like it to me. I haven't seen a game from RARE since their move to Xbox I would want to pick up for myself. My nephew maybe, but just nothing from them interests me as an adult. Biggest waste of money evar!

Linky[/QUOTE]

Your loss. As the previous posters mentioned Viva Pinata is amazing and Kameo was pretty solid as well. I can't speak on B&K:Nuts & Bolts. The fault lies on the consumer, not Rare.

*edit - just finished the article. :lol: What a joke. Is the OP the author? Why would anyone want Rare to change their style to fit the platform? Are there not enough 'roided out shooters on the platform? Do we really need another company making games you can already buy today? Let Rare stick to what they know, fun family oriented fantasy type games. Goldeneye was epic... 10 years ago. Let it go. The team that made that game is long gone anyway. Rare doesn't need to 'evolve' anything. Those teens/male demo need to expand their horizons a bit and experience some games outside the FPS genre.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tinman_licks']Biggest waste of money evar![/QUOTE]

Not even close. Not even close when you limit it to the video game industry, even.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Not even close. Not even close when you limit it to the video game industry, even.[/QUOTE]

This.

So Rare hasn't put out a new Goldeneye remake, or a new Killer Instinct. Big deal. They've managed to make a new IP (the Viva Pinata franchise), and extend the life of Banjo. Just because YOU (tinman_licks) don't like the games they produce, hardly makes them a waste of money at all.

In addition to the other statements made, I agree VP, BK and Kameo were all alot of fun, Rare also makes the NXE Avatars and accessories. They have a value for Microsoft outside of just making games.

I agree with other posters, Rare was a good investment for Microsoft while also being a good sale on the part of Nintendo. This is mainly because prior to Rare, Microsoft had little to no decent family content while Nintendo's first parties excelled at producing just that. So Nintendo did not need additional family content while Microsoft very much did.

Rare does not bring Microsoft money in the way that Bungie or Epic did in the direct sales of Halo/GoW, however they do bring money by giving the XBOX 360 a more family-friendly image than the original XBOX had. Of course, Nintendo's studios still seem to be king of this department, but at least Microsoft has some ammo now to start chipping away at the younger-aged userbase that Nintendo has monopolized over the years. Like Nintendo's, Rare's games are also enjoyable for adults while remaining family friendly.

Hrmm... in my opinion the only good game RARE ever made was R.C. Pro-Am (1988) for the NES, so unless you were 10 years old and Nintendo 64 was the first system you ever played... RARE was always a waste of money...

I would kill for another Goldeneye type Bond game. I played that game so much on the N64 that i had the maps memorized.

If it is all about the money, and not the quality of the game...so far Rare has not been worth near 400 million. It still could, but so far no. Quality of games has nothing to do with the financial investment Microsoft has made.

I like how the article points out that viva pinata is a financial bomb, then goes on to say that perfect dark zero was a rather crappy game. But didn't zero reach platinum hits? wasn't the article's point about how rare isn't really doing anything financially for microsoft? If thats true, then it shouldn't really matter how good or bad the games rare makes as long as they make money. Perhaps Rare should go the ways of nintendo shovelware?

[quote name='Corvin']Your loss. As the previous posters mentioned Viva Pinata is amazing and Kameo was pretty solid as well. I can't speak on B&K:Nuts & Bolts. The fault lies on the consumer, not Rare.

*edit - just finished the article. :lol: What a joke. Is the OP the author? Why would anyone want Rare to change their style to fit the platform? Are there not enough 'roided out shooters on the platform? Do we really need another company making games you can already buy today? Let Rare stick to what they know, fun family oriented fantasy type games. Goldeneye was epic... 10 years ago. Let it go. The team that made that game is long gone anyway. Rare doesn't need to 'evolve' anything. Those teens/male demo need to expand their horizons a bit and experience some games outside the FPS genre.[/QUOTE]

I think Perfect Dark: Zero pretty much shows that Rare should stick to family-oriented games.

I agree with the folks that said Rare have kicked out some good games on the 360. VP, BK:N&B and Kameo are all games I've enjoyed.

Also don't forget about the XBLA games Rare have produced, and the potential there for other XBLA releases, that all brings value to MS.

I greatly enjoyed Viva Pinata. I think part of the problem for that game though is the platform. If Rare brings that game on the Wii, it's a huge game, and another feather in the hat for the Wii. It comes out on the 360, and it gets passed over. I'm 30, and I have friends that won't give the game a second look. For whatever reason, there is an 'anti-kiddy' bias with 360 owners, and not just the 12 year old owners.

I would love to hear what MS would say about having Rare. Even discounting all the games that have come out, at the time, the Rare purchase was a big story, and a big aquisition for MS in the video game industry. I wonder if there are games on the 360 right now that would have gone the Wii/PS3 route, but were developed for the 360 because of Rare (and the commitment it showed that MS has to video games)?

Remember, MS has really leapfrogged Sony this generation (or at least are on the same level), which wasn't the case with Xbox/PS2.

[quote name='lordxixor101']I greatly enjoyed Viva Pinata. I think part of the problem for that game though is the platform. If Rare brings that game on the Wii, it's a huge game, and another feather in the hat for the Wii. It comes out on the 360, and it gets passed over. I'm 30, and I have friends that won't give the game a second look. For whatever reason, there is an 'anti-kiddy' bias with 360 owners, and not just the 12 year old owners.

I would love to hear what MS would say about having Rare. Even discounting all the games that have come out, at the time, the Rare purchase was a big story, and a big aquisition for MS in the video game industry. I wonder if there are games on the 360 right now that would have gone the Wii/PS3 route, but were developed for the 360 because of Rare (and the commitment it showed that MS has to video games)?

Remember, MS has really leapfrogged Sony this generation (or at least are on the same level), which wasn't the case with Xbox/PS2.[/QUOTE]

Not to discount Viva Pinata any, but watching my ex play it I could tell I wasn't going to like it. I am a mainly shooter gamer (I do play plenty of other types, just my main preference) and to be honest I really didn't even have interest in Viva Pinata. It isn't necessarily an "anti-kiddy" bias there, but more of a feeling that it isn't the type of game for the majority of people that play the 360. If you look at the top LIVE titles from Major Nelson, almost the entire list is constantly filled with some form of a shooter. 7 of the 10 involve a gun of some sort in it, even if not directly a shooter and 2 of them are technically the same title since one of them is the demo for the retail game that is on there (UFC).

I wouldn't say that RARE has been a waste of money for MS, it is good for them to get a variety of games that can bring more customers over. Not to say that Viva Pinata itself is a system seller for family oriented games, but it is by far one of if not the biggest exclusive on that MS has going in their favor. RARE also has the potential for many other games that can end up being big sellers.

[quote name='SlimJim0725']Not to discount Viva Pinata any, but watching my ex play it I could tell I wasn't going to like it. I am a mainly shooter gamer (I do play plenty of other types, just my main preference) and to be honest I really didn't even have interest in Viva Pinata. It isn't necessarily an "anti-kiddy" bias there, but more of a feeling that it isn't the type of game for the majority of people that play the 360. If you look at the top LIVE titles from Major Nelson, almost the entire list is constantly filled with some form of a shooter. 7 of the 10 involve a gun of some sort in it, even if not directly a shooter and 2 of them are technically the same title since one of them is the demo for the retail game that is on there (UFC).
[/QUOTE]

Looking at Viva Pinata you have a game that is basically about fucking. Add to that the inbreeding and cross-species breeding and you have a wolf in sheep's clothing. Not to mention you can poison your pinatas and then beat them to death with a shovel. Good times all around.

In M$ eyes there is value in owning Rare just simply for the fact that they are not producing games for Nintendo or Sony.

Thing is, RARE's games don't really seem to take that long to develop, nor do they push the 360 to it's limits in terms of graphics and such. I would hope their games cost less to develop than say Fable 2 or something.

Plus, RARE makes a few family games like Vivia Pinata and Banjo Kazooie, and MS is trying to get some of the family market that Nintendo has, so i think RARE is doing alright for MS.

I want Killer Instinct 3. Until then, Rare probably won't get any of my money. But that's just me. Their current spread of games do not interest me at all.

[quote name='SynGamer']Thing is, RARE's games don't really seem to take that long to develop, nor do they push the 360 to it's limits in terms of graphics and such. I would hope their games cost less to develop than say Fable 2 or something.

Plus, RARE makes a few family games like Vivia Pinata and Banjo Kazooie, and MS is trying to get some of the family market that Nintendo has, so i think RARE is doing alright for MS.[/QUOTE]
Now what do you mean by family market? Kids or family social games? Because from what I've seen, RARE's games are pretty much single player. So no social family games. And the 12 yo. kids? From my XBL exp, its pretty apparent that they are all playing Halo/GoW shouting expletives and using the N-word.

If Microsoft has Rare to make family games, they're failing pretty badly. Those games aren't family friendly. There's just a ton of micro-management in their game that not a lot of people can handle.

Dear Rare,

Please make another Jet Force Gemini game (but don't screw it up like Banjo-Kazooie, which was a fine game but after all this time I was hoping for another platformer).

That is all.

Love, javeryh

Rare can kiss my ass until they make another Conker's Bad Fur Day. That's a game that needs to happen.

I think we're all just waiting for an M-Rated Diddy Kong Racing Sequel in which you carjack woodland creatures and sell "Acorns" to Nabby the Squirrel.

Either that or Jet Force Gemini 2: We promise we won't make you backtrack this time!

I think MS was smart in acquiring Rare through both the games they've put out, and as was said before, keeping them from making games for Nintendo and Sony.

[quote name='Corvin']Looking at Viva Pinata you have a game that is basically about fucking. Add to that the inbreeding and cross-species breeding and you have a wolf in sheep's clothing. Not to mention you can poison your pinatas and then beat them to death with a shovel. Good times all around.[/QUOTE]

And when they mate do they show them literally fucking? I highly doubt that. How about when you beat them to death with a shovel, is there blood that comes out? You can see my point in this I hope.

[quote name='kill3r7']In M$ eyes there is value in owning Rare just simply for the fact that they are not producing games for Nintendo or Sony.[/QUOTE]

Good point , but there are lots of reasons for RARE being on MS. They have hinted at Killer Instinct 3 .... just dont know when & as for JFG is concerned I see another one in the series coming out also. RARE makes fun games . . . so get over yourself if you want them to make a 'roided up shooter , thats not there style. Just wait I'm pretty sure for all you that has looked the other way at a RARE game . . . pretty soon they will release a game that you will love to play!!:drool:

[quote name='SlimJim0725']And when they mate do they show them literally fucking? I highly doubt that. How about when you beat them to death with a shovel, is there blood that comes out? You can see my point in this I hope.[/QUOTE]

Do they show fucking in GTA IV? God of War? Or is it crudely implied with double entendres that would be amusing to a 12 year old? At least Rare uses somewhat clever tongue-in-cheek innuendos.

Viva Pinata hell yes. $375 mil was an awful lot to pay though. If they ever make Jet Force Gemini 2, and make it fuckING AWESOME, then maybe I'll personally consider it to have been absolutely worth it.

I guess their work on Avatars was pretty useful for MS, at least.

[quote name='Luftwaffles08']Do they show fucking in GTA IV? God of War? Or is it crudely implied with double entendres that would be amusing to a 12 year old? At least Rare uses somewhat clever tongue-in-cheek innuendos.[/QUOTE]

Extremely funny that you are comparing people fucking to animals fucking, but we can keep going with this. If I remember right from God of War on the PS2, there was at least some nudity before the fucking and I could swear that you could hear it as well. As for GTA, I never went out my way for the hot coffee code, but I could swear that you at least heard it on there as well.

You missed my point anyways, it was simply that the majority of people playing the shooters and the like are more unlikely to play Viva Pinata. I am not trying to knock the game at all, it just isn't my type of game at all and I feel a lot of people probably feel close to the same that play the same types of games I play.

@slim: But I think your point illustrates why the Rare games *are* important. There are a *ton* of shooters on the 360, but to expand the base, MS needs to have games that appeal to the non-shooter fan. Having the Kameos and Viva Pinatas of the world help MS claim that their box has 'something for everyone'.

What I would like to see Rare work on is some smaller 'quirky' titles. Give the 360 something akin to Ratchet and Clank or even something like the upcoming Fat Princess. Let us use our Avatars in a game like Free Realms. There is so much untapped potential in other genres that it would be a damn shame if Rare was working on 'yet another' mediocre shooter.

[quote name='hostyl1']@slim: But I think your point illustrates why the Rare games *are* important. There are a *ton* of shooters on the 360, but to expand the base, MS needs to have games that appeal to the non-shooter fan. Having the Kameos and Viva Pinatas of the world help MS claim that their box has 'something for everyone'.

What I would like to see Rare work on is some smaller 'quirky' titles. Give the 360 something akin to Ratchet and Clank or even something like the upcoming Fat Princess. Let us use our Avatars in a game like Free Realms. There is so much untapped potential in other genres that it would be a damn shame if Rare was working on 'yet another' mediocre shooter.[/QUOTE]

I was trying to point that out at first, I do feel that these types of games are important. My only thing was the discussion with the one person saying he didn't understand why his friends wouldn't play it and I was trying to explain until everyone had to get defensive of it.

[quote name='SlimJim0725']Extremely funny that you are comparing people fucking to animals fucking, but we can keep going with this. If I remember right from God of War on the PS2, there was at least some nudity before the fucking and I could swear that you could hear it as well. As for GTA, I never went out my way for the hot coffee code, but I could swear that you at least heard it on there as well.

You missed my point anyways, it was simply that the majority of people playing the shooters and the like are more unlikely to play Viva Pinata. I am not trying to knock the game at all, it just isn't my type of game at all and I feel a lot of people probably feel close to the same that play the same types of games I play.[/QUOTE]

You could see nudity in BMX XXX as well, but that didn't make it a good game.

But I do agree with you. There are those people whose libraries are populated solely by shooters. They must think games consist purely of grunts and dark brown hills, but that's their loss. While those are the games that keep the 360 in business, Rare has to be valued for what they bring to the console's library.

[quote name='Luftwaffles08']You could see nudity in BMX XXX as well, but that didn't make it a good game.

But I do agree with you. There are those people whose libraries are populated solely by shooters. They must think games consist purely of grunts and dark brown hills, but that's their loss. While those are the games that keep the 360 in business, Rare has to be valued for what they bring to the console's library.[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree with that at all, my only point was that people who mainly play shooters are not likely to play something along the lines of Viva Pinata. I wasn't trying to imply that nudity, shooting, fucking, or anything along those lines made the game good, I was simply just trying to prove a point to the person who didn't understand why his friends wouldn't give Viva Pinata a chance. I don't only play shooters or hack and slash games, they are just a preference to me. I personally didn't care for Viva Pinata from what I saw my ex play of it, so I didn't play it. It wasn't due to it being a "kiddy" game or anything like that and again, I was not trying to discount the value of the games Rare has brought.

Rare has become a disappointment of a company. What was once one of my favorite company has become a name that I only gloss over.

Why does it take them years to make fairly simple games? Nuts and Bolts was an alright game, certainly not the quality of the previous Banjo games, but it was passable. Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero are both mediocre in almost every sense, and Conker: Live and Reloaded is one of the worst remakes I've ever played. The pretty graphics hardly covered up the muddy controls, dated humor, and atrociously unlearnable online.

[quote name='rabbitt']Conker: Live and Reloaded is one of the worst remakes I've ever played.[/quote]
wat

the muddy controls,
It was pretty loose on N64, too...

dated humor,
Oh, puh-leeze, dude. You're telling me that jokes about penises and poop and titties and beer and dirty words and random movie parodies and killer teddy bears were dated in 2005, but cutting-edge humor in 2001? That is one of the most asinine things I have ever heard.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']wat

It was pretty loose on N64, too...

Oh, puh-leeze, dude. You're telling me that jokes about penises and poop and titties and beer and dirty words and random movie parodies and killer teddy bears were dated in 2005, but cutting-edge humor in 2001? That is one of the most asinine things I have ever heard.[/QUOTE]

You're telling me that the controls couldn't have been tightened up, even just a little? Why plunk the money down to remake a game if you aren't going to bother updating significant functions of a game?

I'm talking about the movie parodies. The Matrix impersonations just don't cut it anymore.

what i don't understand is why doesn't microsoft come out with 007: Goldeneye for xbla, i would buy it and play it online alot, does nintendo have the rights to it or something? i heard some talk about it awhile back but nothing since.

Considering when Rare was purchased, it took an awful long time for them to start putting out some quality stuff. I would think the investment for a long time was not anywhere where Microsoft hoped it be.

On a personal level, I've been rather indifferent to the games they have been putting out for a long time. Last killer Rare game I enjoyed was CBFD on n64. By the time the xbox port came out it was too dated for me to replay.

[quote name='rabbitt']You're telling me that the controls couldn't have been tightened up, even just a little? Why plunk the money down to remake a game if you aren't going to bother updating significant functions of a game?[/quote]
I really don't see what could have changed. It played fine in 2001, and it played fine in 2005.

I'm talking about the movie parodies. The Matrix impersonations just don't cut it anymore.
So, you found the Matrix (which came out in 1999) parody to be intolerably dated in 2005, but you weren't bothered at all by the lengthy Aliens (1986) and A Clockwork Orange (1971) spoofs, back in 2001?

I repeat: that is one of the most asinine things I have ever heard.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I really don't see what could have changed. It played fine in 2001, and it played fine in 2005.

So, you found the Matrix (which came out in 1999) parody to be intolerably dated in 2005, but you weren't bothered at all by the lengthy Aliens (1986) and A Clockwork Orange (1971) spoofs, back in 2001?

I repeat: that is one of the most asinine things I have ever heard.[/QUOTE]

It played fine, but "It was pretty loose on N64, too..." ? Hmph.

If I found the Matrix parody to be dated, wouldn't it be logical to assume I find all of those other movies that you took the time to look up to be old as well?

And, you don't have to repeat anything. Your bombastry is the only thing that resonates.

[quote name='rabbitt']If I found the Matrix parody to be dated, wouldn't it be logical to assume I find all of those other movies that you took the time to look up to be old as well?[/quote]

So, are you admitting that you found those parodies to be dated, as well? If so, why did you attribute the problem of being "dated" specifically to the remake?

PS, A Clockwork Orange is one of my favorite movies, and if you somehow didn't notice the Aliens parody in the game, then you probably didn't beat it. I didn't have to "look up" anything. Have you just not seen those movies?

I guess if ignorance of famous movie scenes allows you to not recognize parodies of them, which means that you won't even be aware of how "dated" they are, then, uh, good for you I guess.

bread's done
Back