Is Sony's PS3 Really a Sinking Ship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Teh Nitwit']You never said it, but you implied it. Plus, the things you say about Sony paying off all the studios are all lies, spread by the hddvd fanboys. Fox went bluray because bluray was supposed to be harder to crack. Warner didn't get a dime from Sony to go bluray. You believing this bullshit doesn't add to your credibility.[/QUOTE]

why does he even care that Sony (maybe) paid WB to come to Blu Ray, and why does he care so much about the "lies" that sony has produced. Its like he was complaining about everthing but the product itself. He calls Sony out for lies, but is still willing to do business w/ and on a console that's almost guaranteed to malfunction. (if it hasn't already).

[quote name='Thomas96']Why don't you use your PS3?[/QUOTE]

It's a combination of things. It's not that I hate it. I mostly bought it for blu-ray. I lost my job in August and haven't been able to afford more movies.

I did get the blockbuster pass recently though, but I've mostly been using it on games.

As silly as it sounds, it's also because the way my A/V setup is, it's sort of a pain to switch between devices; so I need a pretty good reason.

I am also several firmware updates behind and they are usually slow and painful.

I plan to use it for some blu ray watching over the christmas break.

[quote name='thrustbucket']QFT

You really have no clue do you.

Actually, yes, you are right about Fox, initially. They chose Blu-Ray for copy protection.

You clearly were not in the thick of it pre CES last January when all the shit hit the fan. Toshiba, HD DVD group, AND Warner Bros had a huge two hour event/party planned. 12 hours before this event, Warner announced Blu-Ray exclusivity and the event was canceled.

In the week that followed in the aftermath, multiple insiders from many company's came out of the woodwork and all corroborated the following:

• Warner Bros had been bribed enough by Toshiba to go exclusive for X amount of time (not permanently).
  • Fox had actually been courted the same way, although Fox told Toshiba/HD DVD that they would only go exclusive if Warner did. This was going to be announced at the big event as well.
  • At some point Sony caught wind of this and made a counter offer to Warner that they couldn't refuse. The details of the offer are a closely guarded secret, although those on the other side, knowing what their offer was, said it had to be worth around 500 million. (This is not just in cash handed to them, it's mostly in publishing/distribution incentives)
  • The biggest proof of all of this is the fact that most of the big announcement party with Warner Bros was canceled only 12 hours before the show, since Warner no longer had anything to announce for HD DVD.

Dirty tactics all around. All of which is well known now in the nerd-AVSforum hatchery. Deny what you will and call me what you will, if it helps you sleep at night.[/QUOTE]

You know, that's the type of wheeling and dealing that Sony needs in regards to getting these exclusives for the PS3. When is Sony gonna start wheeling and dealing for the PS3? Sony themselves are holding the PS3 back and I don't understand why? maybe until they can get it to be a cheaper console. Why sell a million consoles at a loss, delay your own sales, until the console is profitable - I wonder if that's a business strategy?

[quote name='thrustbucket']Really nothing of interest for me that's exclusive for either platform that's coming out. But I had a lot more invested into the 360 by the time I bought a PS3 for a movie player. All my friends and family have 360 and are on my friends list, so that weighs a lot heavier than God of War 3 (the only exclusive I might be interested in).[/quote]

That's totally understandable, and several people on the boards have expressed similar interest. It can be hard to justify $400 if the PS3 is being used only as a blu-ray DVD player.

I still don't think Blu-ray will ever replace DVD's popularity. And I do think Sony was betting it would (using PS2/DVD logic).

I'm inclined to agree with you. As time goes on, I believe that direct download will become more popular and eliminate physical media assuming the broadband rates keep up. If we keep our "slow" (compared to the world) standards, then I expect physical media to maintain strong dominance.

Of course I realize that. I do not think that the PS3 alone can sink Sony even if it was a dismal failure (it isn't). But I do think both the PS3 and Blu-ray together, are so depended on by Sony that a dismal failure of both (hypothetically) could mortally wound Sony.

You have to remember, Sony invested something like 2 billion in Cell research alone. Then they spent nearly 1 billion in fluffy incentives to studios to get Blu-Ray to win. No company, no matter the size, can afford to put that many eggs in two baskets without depending on them a great deal for overall company success.

I agree that Sony has invested heaps of money into both the development and promotion of both Cell and blu-ray, probably as much as any tech company has in any emerging technology. But that's the risk Sony has always been known for and it's paid off handsomely (ex. Walkman). They have of course failed before (Beta tape and mini-disk in the West).

Unfortunately, technology has reached the point that each incremental advance requires even more money to be successfully developed. If Sony wanted to control the future of computing and gaming, they may have had little choice in the investment. The stakes made the investment almost a matter of necessity.

I will maintain that Sony will not fold because of the money they put into blu-ray and Cell. If they were to go down, it would be because of the greater drop in consumer spending if there is a prolonged recession or they can't drop price. Otherwise, they'll continue to earn royalties from both the PS3 and Cell to at least break even or return a modest profit.

The PS2 was a runaway success that will likely never be repeated, that's an important point to accept. The PS3 has cost Sony so much money, and they still lose so much money on the hardware, that they releasing another console in the next two years would be near suicide.

They will have no choice but to try and convince people that buying a PS3 is a better idea than Microsoft's next console for at least 2 years of the "720's" life.

PS2's success was certainly a large contributor to the widespread support it received from the industry.

I believe that Sony invested so much into the PS3 because they wanted it to have a long life cycle. Otherwise, they could have released an incremental change. Sony may have tried to leap-frog Microsoft and Nintendo by creating a beast at such large financial cost. Only time will tell how well it will pay off.

There was also 25 million PS2's in homes at that time, which was one hell of an incentive for a developer to focus resources on squeezing it's lemons.

The development of tools to make programing for the PS2 must have come out sooner than the 25 million mark. That figure seems a bit suspect, personally.

At least for the PS3, I know that developers like Gorilla (makers of the PS3) are making tools and will license them to other developers for future development. Heck - Sega made the new Canvass engine for Valkyria Chronicles in a few years and would be willing to license it out to anyone interested.

Things will only get easier as first party developers and exclusive titles are being made, and shared community wide.

I am certainly not arguing that Cell architecture is awesome and can and will be used in many devices in the future. Nor would I argue it has awesome potential.

But I always have, and still do, question Sony's faith in Cell for games. There is still no reason that they have yet provided that it was a good investment for games, especially using version 1.0 of any architecture. It's clear they simply wanted to use Cell because they had invested so much in it already.

The PS3 was in development was the explicit idea of using the Cell, not using Cell because it was being developed. I believe that we'll start to see any benefits of this architecture when Killzone 2 is released at the earliest. From some beta videos I've seen, it's certainly impressive and hopefully will showcase the Cell's capabilities.

Although I doubt any developer will enumerate why the Cell is awesome.

I really don't think the PS3 will ever be a failure. It's already sold too much for that, and Blu Ray will ensure it isn't. But it will certainly not come close to repeating the PS2's success story.

The only console to have a chance at beating that record is the Wii. But I have serious doubts that the number of games sold will match that of the PS2, just based on the emerging demographics and reluctance of developers for making anything besides kiddy games. Which is a shame, because I honestly had such high hopes for the system. Now it just sits unplugged for 8 months.

I was a MASSIVE Sony fanboy with PS1 and PS2. I hated Xbox, even though I was the Xbox QA lead for my company at it's apex. I hated the idea of the 360 even more. But 9 months after 360's launch, after seeing what it could do, and witnessing a mudslide of Sony lies and shitty tactics across many technologies, I decided to buy a 360 and haven't looked back.

Everyone has a different falling-in-love story. ;)

Um ok. The Sony fanboy's, for the first year of the PS3's existence, excused it's same-as-360 graphics on the technology being so new, as I'm sure you know. So how much more time needs to pass before the "time" excuse runs dry? Even Sony published titles with gaggles of money behind them haven't shown the "true power" of the PS3. Seriously? You still believe two years from now we'll see something earth shattering that "truly proves the PS3 is far beyond 360"? Seriously?

Is it fair to compare two systems when one had a year-head start? If you compare the games the PS3 is making to those in the 360 line-up of 2007, how would the two stack up?

Both systems did not start out of the gate together, and that was a strategic choice by MS. So far, it's paying off. But some would argue the 360 didn't really hit its stride till this year. Which, if you allow the same amount of time, would mean that this is the year when the PS3 comes of age.

So I say this year or bust. Killzone 2, Final Fantasy XIII, Uncharted 2, the new Team ICO game, God of War III, Gran Turismo 5, Heavy Rain, etc. I can see no better time for the PS3 to put-up-or-shut up.

Yes, my discourse on Sony betting the farm on Blu-ray is a hunch, but not just my own. Many published analysits have been saying the same thing for a year now. It's still a hunch though.

My Cell/PS3 power "hunches" are based on facts. Based on games released and in everyones hands. Your assumptions it's true power is yet unlocked are based on faith and hope.

Yes, our assumptions are based on faith and hope. But negative press & criticism will always get more air time on the nets than good news. I don't put much stock in what analysts have to say since there is always a way to spin statistics to suit your needs or perspectives.

[quote name='Thomas96']why does he even care that Sony (maybe) paid WB to come to Blu Ray, and why does he care so much about the "lies" that sony has produced. Its like he was complaining about everthing but the product itself. He calls Sony out for lies, but is still willing to do business w/ and on a console that's almost guaranteed to malfunction. (if it hasn't already).[/QUOTE]

You are right, it doesn't matter anymore. But it adds to many other tactics Sony has had their hand in recently that has made me very disappointed in them. Like any of you PS3 fanboy's are actually happy about the removal of PS2 compatibility....

I camped out at Target for the PS2. Overnight. In 50 degrees. I'll never forget that. I used that damn PS2 so much it barely works anymore.

My 360 says it was manufactured in August of 2005 on the back and has never broke.

Both companies do despicable things. That's the nature of super large corporations. I tried to explain why I'm more a 360 guy this time around. The PS3 has severely lagged behind in it's social aspects, interface, software, OS - all of which have become as important to me, or more, than exclusives.

But I am a sucker for God of War, and that's a big reason why I haven't sold the PS3, even though I was disappointed in GOW 2, I hope 3 blows me away.

[quote name='thrustbucket']It's a combination of things. It's not that I hate it. I mostly bought it for blu-ray. I lost my job in August and haven't been able to afford more movies.

I did get the blockbuster pass recently though, but I've mostly been using it on games.

As silly as it sounds, it's also because the way my A/V setup is, it's sort of a pain to switch between devices; so I need a pretty good reason.

I am also several firmware updates behind and they are usually slow and painful.

I plan to use it for some blu ray watching over the christmas break.[/QUOTE]

You've been hanging around AVSforms, (if So) what's the reaction from people on their forums? Last time I was there, people were really into the PS3, using it for a home theater computer (cheap one at least) and they seemed to really appreciate all the features.

Ecofreak, I think we mostly agree... 98%.

You are right, this year is key. I actually hope Sony pulls out some fat elephants with Killzone and the Ico developer.

I may be a 360 guy this generation but the very last thing I want is Microsoft to come close to cornering the market. The competition is important and it needs to always exist.

[quote name='Ecofreak']You know, Thrustbucket, parts of me believe you come into threads just to pick a fight. ;)[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry I give that impression. I'm pretty bored today. :)

[quote name='Thomas96']You've been hanging around AVSforms, (if So) what's the reaction from people on their forums? Last time I was there, people were really into the PS3, using it for a home theater computer (cheap one at least) and they seemed to really appreciate all the features.[/QUOTE]

Yes that's absolutely true. AVSers have felt for over a year now that you can't get a better blu-ray player for the money. Me included.

The tweakability on the PS3, like installing Linux, is really cool. AVS types love that shit.

Any high definition home theater enthusiast on a budget would be stupid not to have a PS3, imo.

I just wish it wasn't such a pain in the ass to get video streaming from networked PC's to work, then I'd likely use it more (that's what I use my 360 most for lately - and netflix).

[quote name='thrustbucket']You are right, it doesn't matter anymore. But it adds to many other tactics Sony has had their hand in recently that has made me very disappointed in them. Like any of you PS3 fanboy's are actually happy about the removal of PS2 compatibility....

I camped out at Target for the PS2. Overnight. In 50 degrees. I'll never forget that. I used that damn PS2 so much it barely works anymore.

My 360 says it was manufactured in August of 2005 on the back and has never broke.

Both companies do despicable things. That's the nature of super large corporations. I tried to explain why I'm more a 360 guy this time around. The PS3 has severely lagged behind in it's social aspects, interface, software, OS - all of which have become as important to me, or more, than exclusives.

But I am a sucker for God of War, and that's a big reason why I haven't sold the PS3, even though I was disappointed in GOW 2, I hope 3 blows me away.[/QUOTE]

Now, wait.. if you update your PS3 fully... you mean to tell me that you feel that its "severly lagging" in social aspects, interface, software, and OS?

I know you're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think the PS3 is lagging in any category.. all my potential xbox 360 friends have friend lists that are full, also in regards to social aspects, there's HOME coming out whose sole purpose is to create an online community, a community aspect that even the 360 doesn' t have, as there's no way to meet new friends via the XBL service. Now the interface for the PS3 is all in a persons opinion, but its nice, simple and fast, and if you look at the NXE, its more similar to the XMB than previous interface. The PS3 online features are FREE... you can stream video from Hulu, and various websites. PS3 has come a long way and made a lot of changes for the better. I just don't see how you can say that's "severly lagging" behind anything that on the Xbox platform.

[quote name='Thomas96']Now, wait.. if you update your PS3 fully... you mean to tell me that you feel that its "severly lagging" in social aspects, interface, software, and OS?

I know you're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think the PS3 is lagging in any category.. all my potential xbox 360 friends have friend lists that are full, also in regards to social aspects, there's HOME coming out whose sole purpose is to create an online community, a community aspect that even the 360 doesn' t have, as there's no way to meet new friends via the XBL service. Now the interface for the PS3 is all in a persons opinion, but its nice, simple and fast, and if you look at the NXE, its more similar to the XMB than previous interface. The PS3 online features are FREE... you can stream video from Hulu, and various websites. PS3 has come a long way and made a lot of changes for the better. I just don't see how you can say that's "severly lagging" behind anything that on the Xbox platform.[/QUOTE]

You are totally right, man. I have not seen any of it's features since about August. I have not yet played with Home, although I hear negative things about it, I won't judge it till I see it. I do love the idea of a way, besides games, to actually find new friends.

I could be totally wrong. I hope I am. I am pleased with the frequency of updates the PS3 has had, but haven't taken the time to really look at what they do.

It also does not help that I don't have any friends yet on PS3 (since I don't own any games either). But please add me (Thrustbucket) if you would.

The free thing is the biggest thing it has going for it, imo. As soon as it's as seamless to invite/participate/party/game with friends and people as 360, they will have to go free as well. But currently, there are reasons several million are still willing to pay for Live.

I haven't used the browser a lot since I would like to get a keyboard hooked up first.

Anyway, I admit I could be wrong on my assessment of connectivity. I mostly go by what I hear frequently from my developer friends that deal with all consoles daily, but I don't really know first hand, and I admit that.

[quote name='Zyzomys']Wow, there are a lot of Sony fanboys in this thread. Sony is laying off 18,000 employees, and is looking at ways to save $1.1 billion before January 31, 2009 and a further $3 billion by their year end in March. The PS3 is not doing well, its Year on Year World Wide sales are down, and the last game that gave it a kick start was MGS4. Mentioning games that sold one million copies, but were expected to sell millions and move consoles is not a success story. Resistance 2 was outsold by Left 4 Dead and sold less than 400,000 copies, and Little Big Planet did not out sell anything. These are all triple "A" titles on the PS3. Every year the exclusive big titles fail to sell consoles (except MGS4). It is time to face facts, Sony is going to come in third this generation.

And guess what: I will still enjoy all the great exclusive games that come out for the PS3 and I am am thankful that it is easy to port Xbox 360 games over to the PS3, because that means that the PS3 will continue to get a good number of releases. Nothing wrong with coming in third. It happened to Nintendo and look what happened this generation. Hopefully Sony has learned their lesson and plans on launching a much cheaper console next generation.

And yes I own a Xbox 360. I also own a PS3 and have purchased over the past year: Resistance 1; Ratchet & Clank; Uncharted; GTA IV; MGS4; SOCOM; Far Cry 2; Little Big Planet; Resistance 2; and Fallout 3. Plus too many Blu-ray movies to count. I own it and I can criticize it.[/quote]

I believe price is not a factor here, there are many 360 owners that have re-purchased a 360 for various reasons. Whether it be hardware related or being banned from Xbox Live due to playing backups. The PS3 remains the only console this generation to have safeguarded the developers from the rampant piracy that surrounds the 360 and wii. It's a well known fact there are a number of users that have 2 360's to keep from getting banned from live. Play on banned console to gain achievements,save on memory stick and upload saves to legit 360.

Banned console+new console= profit for Microsoft

Last edited by a moderator:
My PS3 has recently become my first choice if games are released on both systems. I think it puts out better graphics, is more powerful, and has blu-ray to boot. I have increased my BR collection to four times what it was just a couple months ago. I prefer PS3 versions of games if it is multiformat also because the PS3 is more reliable than my 360 which has broken two times already.

[quote name='denze']I believe price is not a factor here, there are many 360 owners that have re-purchased a 360 for various reasons. Whether it be hardware related or being banned from Xbox Live due to playing backups. The PS3 remains the only console this generation to have safeguarded the developers from the rampant piracy that surrounds the 360 and wii. It's a well known fact there are a number of users that have 2 360's to keep from getting banned from live. Play on banned console to gain achievements,save on memory stick and upload saves to legit 360.

Banned console+new console= profit for Microsoft[/QUOTE]

Ahahaha, if piracy is such a huge concern, why does the 360 version of every multiplatform game dominate in sales on the 360?

[quote name='zewone']Ahahaha, if piracy is such a huge concern, why does the 360 version of every multiplatform game dominate in sales on the 360?[/quote]

I could perhaps ask you "why does the wii dominate in hardware sales since day 1?" your guess is as good as mine.

My guess, established user base both legit and non legit. Lemmings jumped on the bandwagon= profit

[quote name='bordjon']Hahaha - I was in a HUGE line of people doing this the other day![/quote]

Congrats. You will never experience a woman's nether regions.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Congrats. You will never experience a woman's nether regions.[/QUOTE] Well - my wife would like to disagree. And yes - my wife was in the room when we were all in the conga line. We made an avatar for her and it was pretty funny how guys act around female avatars. Needless to say I got way too many friend requests...

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Will it allow me to spend hours doing this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCzo3bcrZGw

If so, SOLD![/QUOTE]

I know its goofy is hell to see what they're doing, but hey that's an online community having fun together. Outside of games, you can't meet anyone on Xbox live and do Anything... because there is no place on Xbox live where you can interact with your friends like you can at home. People were having fun, doing stuff. Outside of the cha cha line, there's people having conversations in home and just enjoying Home. That video as ridiculous and funny as it is; Is actually a testiment to the Success of Home.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']If you want to talk about bombs, let me bring up MS publishing Fuzion Frenzy 2, Vampire Rain stateside, Azurik, Nightcaster, and many others.
[/QUOTE]

No, because none of those games were hyped as the second coming the way LAIR was. They were just shovelware. LAIR was supposed to be the first game that really showed the power of the PS3. Instead it was the first game that showed the PS3 was a real pain in the ass system to work with.

Best platformer this gen. And guess what, it has sold 1 million copies worldwide.

Because there wasn't anything else worth playing at the time on the PS3. If it was my only system I'd have bought it too. People were starved for something original. Its not a bad game, its a pretty game, but its not exactly a game to write home about considering its a basic platformer on rails.

The game averages 95% at Gamerankings, higher than any other game this year on next gen consoles. Media Molecule won the best developer of 2008 award on Spike. The game is fantastic.

And its a 2D platformer.....Killzone 2 will be the first game that really, hopefully, gives PS3 some props.

1st/2nd, and that's how Confrontation is. The game dropped the single player since most everyone said the single player in SOCOM was boring and only played online. SOCOM Confrontation was NOT intended to be one of their big budget, main games. It was intended to be a PS3 SOCOM to please its fanbase, that's all.

Regardless, it was a huge mistake. Sony needs games...not more "quick lets get it out the door so people have something to buy" multiplayer-only title. At this rate, GT5 will be a multiplayer only title pretty soon.

Wipeout HD is a fantastic game. How dare you say bad things about it. The team at Sony Liverpool was focused on making Wipeout Pulse, then moved to Wipeout HD. They made it to boosts the amount of downloadable games. It has been rumored that they plan on a full blown retail game in the future, but Wipeout HD was made to please fans, kind of like SOCOM.

So again its Sonys "OMG we need software NOW!" mentality? GT5P too? Lets give them a taste and then ask for another $60 bucks in the future? SEriously, I want a fully blown disc version of Wipeout with huge branching multi-path levels.....but this was another of Sonys "QUick, get it out now!" ideas.

reasonable time frame. If God of War II never came out, then it would probably be out by now.

I'm not arguing God of War.....its going to take whatever it takes to make it happen.

As for GT5, designing a car on PS3 takes a few months to do. They aren't just designing the outside, but the inside too. If you played GT5P, the cars look beyond fantastic, inside and out. When you are trying to design several hundred cars, it will take a while.

Thats exactly my point....they waste valuable development making sure every tiny little detail of a car is accurate..stuff you wont see or appreciate. In the meantime you are racing on static, some may argue DULL racing circults devoid of life, and you have a 1995 damage model. As for the "Some manufacturers dont want to see their cars damaged" line, thats as old as the PS1. The problem is WHAT HAPPENS in GT5 when you hit another car, or when you hit a wall. What happens? You bounce off and go merrily on your way.....there is no reason NOT to play bumper cars in this game. So you get a building full of Japanese developers analyzing the rake angle of the winshield of a car, but in the meantime 5 years later you get a game where you can slam your car into a jersey barrier and hear a "BOOIIINGG!" and then just keep going after the obligatory 50mph slowdown? Pfeh...no thanks.

GT for PSP was canceled just so they could bring more development to GT5.

Then I consider it a real shame that sony promised this game and used the mocked up demo footage to sell the PSP its first year of release. Talk about bait and switch....of course thats before people realized that the PSP as a gaming peripheral pretty much sucked thanks to its control layout and lack of analogs.

Most racing games just slap a car together in a few days and not try to accurately model it, unlike GT.

Then perhaps they should change the name of the series to TEST DRIVE because thats all you're really doing.....I'm giving them kudos for a great engine and some great lighting effects, but GT5 is a bit of a bore when compared with other racing games of its type. I really don't care that a car is modeled to hyper-accurate detail levels, if its not any fun to drive around a track.....

I've kind of outgrown the sterile, stale environment of the GT games where everything is hyper realistic but it all feels so...well....sterile. Thats the bset word I can use. Plus, any game that forces me to race in Mini's and other econo-boxes...again, who has time for that anymore. I dont need to START the game in a Zonda but honestly....

Sony also has many other great first party games, like Uncharted, Hot Shots Golf, makes the best baseball game around, Resistance series, Buzz! is fun, SingStar is great, MotorStorm: PR is one of the best racers all year, and several great PSN games. Killzone 2, inFAMOUS, White Knight Chronicles, etc. look great for next year.

So basically every game is great in your eyes.

In my opinion these are the 10 things Sony needs to do immediatley if they ever want to ever surpass Nintendo and Microsoft in this current console war:

1. Create a new SKU for a 120GB PS3 System for $399.99 with full backwards compatibility for PS2 games. Include a free Blu-Ray remote to sell it more as a Blu-Ray player for the people who are not hardcore gamers.

2. Drop the current 80GB SKU down to $299.99, and include a free Blu-Ray remote for the same reason above. If possible find a way to apply a Firmware update that can emulate PS2 compability for people without a BC PS3.

3. Release a barebones PSP in different colors (black, white, silver, and red) at $149.99. Eliminate the bundles (i.e. Ratchet, etc) The $50 people save from having to buy those bundles they can pick from what they actually want. Adding 8mb-16mb of internal memory would also be nice, so people who just want memory to save games already have it out of the box.

4. Pass some cash to Square-Enix, to create a Final Fantasy VII Remake, and make it PS3 Exclusive. Also Kingdom Hearts 3 would be nice.

5. Hope that these PS3 Exclusives next year can get peoples attention

• God of War III
  • Gran Turismo 5
  • Heavy Rain
  • Uncharted 2 Among Theives
6. Hope Konami keeps Metal Gear on the Playstation 3 only.

7. Make some more (good) games on the PSP! Get the PSP camera, and PSP GPS funcionality rolling over here in the states.

8. Start thinking about obtaining and/or creating new PS3 Exclusives titles such as:

• A real Socom game with single player and multiplayer
  • Perhaps a crossover game between Jak/Daxter and Ratchet and Clank. Isomnaic and Naughty Dog teaming up for a project
  • Metal Gear 5
  • Kingdom Hearts 3
  • Final Fantasy VII remake
9. Get some damn exclusives. It seems Microsoft is getting on the ball about getting exclusives (GTA IV and Fallout 3 DLC etc). It is pretty much making Sony look weak, and pathetic that they are losing all their exclusives (Final Fantasy XIII, Resident Evil 5, Devil May Cry 4, Tekken 6 etc)

10. Downloadable PS2 games on the PSN. Same deal as PS1 games being available, except PS2 games.

By looking at some of these things I have mentioned, you can see that clearly Sony would be taking a loss in money to make them happen. Such as cutting the prices for their systems ontop of adding BC to the system etc, but excepting a loss for a greater cause should be priorty for Sony. Their goal should be getting a PS3 into everyones homes, and then capitalizing on making profit through their games, downloads, service, accessories, and blu ray movies.

If Sony lowered their current SKUs $100 each, and included a free remote it would look like an extremely desperate attempt by Sony to sell consoles. I'm not saying that it wouldn't work but it wouldn't look good. And if they added PS2 compatibility to the PS3 after announcing that it would never come back, I think that would make many consumers lose even more trust in Sony assuming they have any.

[quote name='Thomas96']I know its goofy is hell to see what they're doing, but hey that's an online community having fun together. Outside of games, you can't meet anyone on Xbox live and do Anything... because there is no place on Xbox live where you can interact with your friends like you can at home. People were having fun, doing stuff. Outside of the cha cha line, there's people having conversations in home and just enjoying Home. That video as ridiculous and funny as it is; Is actually a testiment to the Success of Home.[/QUOTE]

Do you honestly sit around bored and just wander around a virtual world chatting with avatars and talking to people to see whats up? Getting into silly dance lines....and so on?

I guess this appeal is to kids or something.....who have lots and lots of do-nothing free time.

[quote name='bordjon']Well - my wife would like to disagree. And yes - my wife was in the room when we were all in the conga line. We made an avatar for her and it was pretty funny how guys act around female avatars. Needless to say I got way too many friend requests...[/quote]

[quote name='Thomas96']I know its goofy is hell to see what they're doing, but hey that's an online community having fun together. Outside of games, you can't meet anyone on Xbox live and do Anything... because there is no place on Xbox live where you can interact with your friends like you can at home. People were having fun, doing stuff. Outside of the cha cha line, there's people having conversations in home and just enjoying Home. That video as ridiculous and funny as it is; Is actually a testiment to the Success of Home.[/quote]

[quote name='HeadRusch']Do you honestly sit around bored and just wander around a virtual world chatting with avatars and talking to people to see whats up? Getting into silly dance lines....and so on?

I guess this appeal is to kids or something.....who have lots and lots of do-nothing free time.[/quote]

Its looks like to me, you may have more free time then others . How many users did you requote on that single post?:applause: TL: DR

If it's someone's preference to log in and dance around etc etc, so what? it's free. What they do on their time shouldn't concern you

[quote name='HeadRusch']Do you honestly sit around bored and just wander around a virtual world chatting with avatars and talking to people to see whats up? Getting into silly dance lines....and so on?

I guess this appeal is to kids or something.....who have lots and lots of do-nothing free time.[/QUOTE]

You know I had this same conversation with someone in Home... really I know you don't like Home, stop trying to make it out to be something bad. Yeah, I went to Home and chatted with people, its the same as coming here and chatting with people. Home to you is a stupid idea, until MS comes out with something identical.

PS3 a sinking ship? Worldwide, the PS3 is on pace or outsold the 360 at the same 2 year point in its life. Something like 17.5m 360s sold worldwide vs 18m ps3 sold worldwide at the 2 year life point. One costs double the other. Which is in trouble again?

Stop looking at NA numbers only. Game companys sell games worldwide, and the PS3 is a bread winner for third partys. Quality of first party games is no comparison, sonys first party games blow away the 360 first party games. Its not even a comparison.

Also, home is kinda silly right now. The game launching has not hit yet, which is its major draw. However, ive never played anything like it. I do load it up, check out what is showing in the theater, and sometimes i go to the music place and talk about how much i like tacos while doing the running man. I know its silly, but its a fun change of pace and you meet new people all the time. This is not possible on any other console in the world.

Also, lol @ the bitter hd dvd fanboy in this thread talking about warner being paid off, etc. Those are bitter tears like none other. Blu-ray is the defacto standard in 1080p movies. Its done.

[quote name='blitz6speed']PS3 a sinking ship? Worldwide, the PS3 is on pace or outsold the 360 at the same 2 year point in its life. Something like 17.5m 360s sold worldwide vs 18m ps3 sold worldwide at the 2 year life point. One costs double the other. Which is in trouble again?

Stop looking at NA numbers only. Game companys sell games worldwide, and the PS3 is a bread winner for third partys. Quality of first party games is no comparison, sonys first party games blow away the 360 first party games. Its not even a comparison.

Also, home is kinda silly right now. The game launching has not hit yet, which is its major draw. However, ive never played anything like it. I do load it up, check out what is showing in the theater, and sometimes i go to the music place and talk about how much i like tacos while doing the running man. I know its silly, but its a fun change of pace and you meet new people all the time. This is not possible on any other console in the world.

Also, lol @ the bitter hd dvd fanboy in this thread talking about warner being paid off, etc. Those are bitter tears like none other. Blu-ray is the defacto standard in 1080p movies. Its done.[/QUOTE]

Blitz certainly doesn't mince words, and goes right for the jugular. ;)

I, personally, will like to see the NPD sale numbers in January and will reserve judgment until then.

I enjoy all three systems and exclusive DLC does not mean much to me, tbh. Also, comparing L4D to LBP is one of the most ignorant things I've seen.

That's like comparing Resistance 2 with disgaea 3... based on release date (note: I dont know what the release dates were), but you're comparing one of the most popular genres to a much less popular genre... not to mention the faulty launch for the sake of being PC.

Percentage-wise, the PS3 growth numbers per month are impressive and does not define a "sinking ship."

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Do you really think a $400+ system will have better NPD sales than a $200+ system in this storm economic climate come January?

Tee Hee.[/quote]

Maybe not in flat number of sales, but Month-to-Month and Year-to-year percentage? Yes, sadly... because the economy can suffer all day long.... but people will continue to purchase on credit and perpetuate the overspending problem that is at the root of the economy's problem.

Tee Hee.

We've been in a recession for a year. The flow of credit has stopped and the numbers show that people are buying less. There's no way the PS3 is outselling the 360.

[quote name='blitz6speed']PS3 a sinking ship? Worldwide, the PS3 is on pace or outsold the 360 at the same 2 year point in its life. Something like 17.5m 360s sold worldwide vs 18m ps3 sold worldwide at the 2 year life point. One costs double the other. Which is in trouble again?

Also, lol @ the bitter hd dvd fanboy in this thread talking about warner being paid off, etc. Those are bitter tears like none other. Blu-ray is the defacto standard in 1080p movies. Its done.[/QUOTE]

Sony should make this an official statement; that's too smooth to be coporate... too smooth.

It's just Sony's fault for being retarded this holiday. Expensive system + no bundles ($500 + a year old game doesn't count) = cheap systems will outsell you.

I don't get why you Sony kids can't admit that the system has been pretty disappointing. I mean, we 360 owners freely admit that MS's system is made out of pizza boxes and wood glue...

[quote name='Temporaryscars']We've been in a recession for a year. The flow of credit has stopped and the numbers show that people are buying less. There's no way the PS3 is outselling the 360.[/quote]

Read that again. "Maybe not in flat number of sales, but Month-to-Month and Year-to-year percentage"

Actually, the numbers for the gaming industry dont show that people are "buying less." January -> September 08 realized an overall (hardware, games, accessories) 26% increase compared to January -> September 07 sale numbers.

And it's not a matter of "PS3 fanboys" not admitting that they are disappointed with their system, it's a matter of other system fanboys inserting themselves and telling other console owners what they should think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back