Is Sony's PS3 Really a Sinking Ship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Nephlabobo']There's no reason it has to. Burnout Paradise had a lower price for the download. There's *no* reason they can't do exactly the same thing with PSP games. The precedent has already been set. All I want is the *choice*. I'm not arguing for an either/or situation. [/quote]

As far as I know when BP hit the store for $30 it also went to $30 at retail as well. I remember because I checked to see what I'd get for my disc version and it was not so much.

Choice would be nice, but in Everyday Shooters case if it had been $20 at retail and the store I may not have picked up either at least for a while. At $10 download it's priced just right.

[quote name='Thomas96']Look if you're going to be my fucking secretary, [pulling numbers for me] then pull those numbers... Ms. Piggy!

The thread is reference PS3 sales performance... of course we'd like to see worldwide numbers, why look at NA only.. and act like NA is the only place where PS3 sales..

you bring numbers, then bring them all...[/QUOTE]

Are you okay? Sometimes, I worry about you, buddy. Chin up, tiger.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5257514&postcount=193

Mana Knight:

Something is seriously wrong with you.

Look at all that research you did to try and prove your argument.

When was the last time you put that much time/effort into looking for a job?

@ oasisboy

Well well, I guess I am wrong in some respects. :D Meh, it is what I get for following economics and politics more so nowadays than video games.

I still don't think MS or Sony's strategy is all what it needs to be though. I love competition, but there is a sense of stupidity in how they run things. It is either you end up being extremely successful or you end up bombing out right. The two have clearly switched positions.

As for the Wii, well, I like it and a lot. It's not perfect but there are things Nintendo does get right and wrong, just like the other two. I own a PS3 and a Wii and I have my likes and dislikes between the two.

I sure hope not! I own all three current gen systems and think they all have enough exclusives to be relevant and greatly enjoyable...

But...This reminds me of when I had my PS, Saturn and N64 all sitting on one shelf under my TV in my room... and suddenly feeling sad that one would not be supported anymore... sniff sniff

[quote name='Thomas96']You and your retard chart need to go have a seat in the corner; damn that's one retarted looking chart[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what a retart.

[quote name='manthing']Mana Knight:

Something is seriously wrong with you.

Look at all that research you did to try and prove your argument.

When was the last time you put that much time/effort into looking for a job?[/QUOTE]

Well at least he researched it, instead of just pulling BS from the anus like most of the 360 fans that visit the PS3 forums from time to time.

[quote name='zewone']Yeah, what a retart.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for spell checking me secretary. You're good.. now if you could kindly pull some worldwide numbers, and make me a cup of coffee we could get everthing squared away.

[quote name='Thomas96']Thank you for spell checking me secretary. You're good.. now if you could kindly pull some worldwide numbers, and make me a cup of coffee we could get everthing squared away.[/QUOTE]

Everthing is squared away.

Here are the charts you wanted:

1223021397052.gif

[quote name='zewone']Everthing is squared away.

Here are the charts you wanted:

1223021397052.gif
[/QUOTE]

lol nice, and you even recorded yourself doing the presentation... awwwww Zew you shouldn't have.

oh and you found another misspelled word... good very good... who needs Spell checker when you got the Zew1000 spellchecker live... that's graet!

So, the Wii is currently the jock of this generation... shoving the fat kid (the 360) around with their sales numbers... so the fat kid (360) is mad and comes home to punch their brother (the ps3). Fortunately, when the wii matures... they will have no future and work as a stock-boy at wal-mart when they are 30... the 360 becomes the store managers at the wal-mart to pick on the jock (picking on the wii as payback)... and the little brother, or future generation, (the ps3) becomes the more successful and emerges as the company's CEO.

Such is the circle of life.

Lesson: Enjoy the wii while it's relevent. Fall back on the 360, until microsoft get's their head out of their outdated asses and releases the XBAWKS 720 (two circles zomg) then rely on the ps3 while the other companies try to upgrade.

Again, I like all three of my systems. I wouldn't replace them for much... except maybe Jessica Alba (pre or post baby, dont care).

The Wii is even more garbage than the PS3. Just because all the soccer moms are buying them, that doesn't make them "the jock." More like "the pink sock."

[quote name='dyeknom']So, the Wii is currently the jock of this generation... shoving the fat kid (the 360) around with their sales numbers... so the fat kid (360) is mad and comes home to punch their brother (the ps3). Fortunately, when the wii matures... they will have no future and work as a stock-boy at wal-mart when they are 30... the 360 becomes the store managers at the wal-mart to pick on the jock (picking on the wii as payback)... and the little brother, or future generation, (the ps3) becomes the more successful and emerges as the company's CEO.

Such is the circle of life.

Lesson: Enjoy the wii while it's relevent. Fall back on the 360, until microsoft get's their head out of their outdated asses and releases the XBAWKS 720 (two circles zomg) then rely on the ps3 while the other companies try to upgrade.

Again, I like all three of my systems. I wouldn't replace them for much... except maybe Jessica Alba (pre or post baby, dont care).[/QUOTE]

Jessica Alba... can we have a moment of silence for the fine as hell Jessica Alba... The Fantastic ONE!

I had the wii first, then got a 360. My wii started collecting dust. I bought a PS3, then my 360 started collecting dust.

I haven't even plugged in my 360 since ZOMG GEARSOFWAR2. And my wii has been unplugged since...Mario Kart?

If theres a more trusty site then VGChartz for Europe numbers please let me know. Some other site they also cited has shown the 360 take back the overall lead in Europe due to a recent price cut, and regardless things are pretty neck and neck there.

The PS3 will always lead the 360 in Japan though. That's a no brainer. Gajin products will not outsell products from their homeland.

Either way thanks for the entertaining thread, hope you don't get the boot again because your very amusing TMK.

Why Sony can't kill the PS3

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/opinion/045/1050045/why-sony-can-t-kill-the-ps3

I agree with most of the article except the last part "Meanwhile its real rival, Microsoft will have lost a fortune on its Xbox and might not have the will to continue. Any fad value of the Wii will have long since passed and people will be craving proper graphics again."

The matter of the fact is that Microsoft is making a profit from the 360.
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/25/the-xbox-360-turns-a-profit-again/

Sony Cuts 8,000 Jobs — Time to Cut the PS3, Too?

http://gigaom.com/2008/12/09/sony-cuts-8000-jobs-time-to-cut-the-ps3-too/

PS3 Gets Trumped by Xbox 360 in November

Many people expected November to be the month that the PS3 would shine. Two of its biggest titles of the year, LittleBig Planet and Resistance 2, launched that month, and holiday demand was expected to drive sales up. However, the PS3 was, quite literally, smoked by the competition:
1- Wii 2.04M
2- DS 1.57M
3- Xbox 360 836k
4- PSP 421k
5- Playstation 3 378k
6- Playstation 2 206k

Not only did the Wii have absolutely extraordinary sales, but the 360, Sony’s main competitor, outsold it by more than 2:1.

It’s hard to believe that Sony, the company which dominated the last two console generations, is doing so poorly now against its competition. The high price tag is undoubtedly hurting its performance, but I feel that it is a lack of marketing which is hurting Sony even more. The solution for Sony is not to drop the PS3’s price; they are already losing money on each console, and any increase in sales caused by a price cut would be negated by the heightened losses they would face. Rather, I think that Sony needs to improve its marketing strategy.

LittleBig Planet, a game with appeal to the mass market and hardcore gamers alike, did not even scratch the top ten in software sales.Resistance 2, Sony’s holiday shooter, was outsold by Gears of War 2 by over 4:1. The problem was not the quality of these games, as they both received rave reviews, but rather the fact that too many people were unaware of their existence. Microsoft has had more than its share of problems, but one of its biggest strengths, even from the Xbox 1 days, has been their ability to create that “must-have” game, first with Halo and now with Gears of War. If Sony wants to begin gaining ground on the 360 instead of losing it, it must generate that same hype for itself—it must make people want their console enough to make it worth their money. Sony has the perfect opportunity to do this with Killzone 2. Let’s hope they take advantage of it.

http://www.ps3center.net/news/1994/ps3-gets-trumped-by-xbox-360-in-november/

That makes me kind of sad about R2. That game should have sold way more.

And good God. How is PSP outselling PS3?! PSP is dead, how does that thing sell? That's pretty lame.

I'm not going to argue against fools anymore.... you know I don't have any problem against anyone that says the PS3 is dying, but don't say it prove it.. show some stats, make some valid arguments. All I see are stats to show that the PS3 is doing well. Last year, people were saying that the PS3 was going to be like the dreamcast, then most of 2008, it outsold the 360 on a month by month basis. now, PS3 gets beat in November and now all thse PS3 sinking topics start to spawn, you got two in the PS3 forum and one in the general gaming forum.

I'm going to go and buy Fallout 3 for the PS3... fuck it

[quote name='guinaevere']We just can't have nice things... Get this thread onto some sort of respectable level or it closes in the morning.[/QUOTE]

close it now... Guinaevere, this threat has run its course... maybe you should take this topic and send it to the 360 forum and let the 360 fans talk about it.

Oh well, Take care Guinaevere, I haven't seen you around for a while, take care. don't ban me!

[quote name='guinaevere'] Get this thread onto some sort of respectable level or it closes in the morning.[/quote]

What's wrong with this thread? We are just discussing points about the playstation 3, isn't that what a messageboard is about? its not like we are creating 10 threads with the same subject. Some folks might be fighting against each other in this board but let them be (can you guys just "ignore" this thread in the same way we are told to ignore the wii in stock threads?).

[quote name='Thomas96']close it now... Guinaevere, this threat has run its course... maybe you should take this topic and send it to the 360 forum and let the 360 fans talk about it.

Oh well, Take care Guinaevere, I haven't seen you around for a while, take care. don't ban me![/QUOTE]

Yeah, close the threat.

[quote name='zewone']Yeah, close the threat.[/QUOTE]

lol thank you Miss Piggy you found another typo.. you're 3 for 3 tonight!

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Well Microsoft lost billions on the XBox, and now looks like Sony will be even with them. Who will be the true winner of the bleeding warz? Screw console wars, who will bleed more money before passing out? My bet is MS ;)

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21545

Tabata expects Sony to report a net loss of 150 billion yen ($1.66 billion), six times greater than previously expected.[/quote]

The difference is that Microsoft can sustain a heavy loss on the xbox because Microsoft has other lines of business (like Windows and Office), yet Sony heavily relies on the ps3 for their entire business.

[quote name='oasisboy']The difference is that Microsoft can sustain a heavy loss on the xbox because Microsoft has other lines of business (like Windows and Office), yet Sony heavily relies on the ps3 for their entire business.[/QUOTE]

What??
Ever hear of Sony Pictures or Columbia Tristar?
What about the Spider-man movie franchise?
The Walkman?

[quote name='Thomas96']
oh and you found another misspelled word... good very good... who needs Spell checker when you got the Zew1000 spellchecker live... that's graet![/QUOTE]

This threat was graet.

[quote name='mwynn']What??
Ever hear of Sony Pictures or Columbia Tristar?
What about the Spider-man movie franchise?
The Walkman?[/quote]

Yes, I have heard of these and Sony TVs. My point is that Sony as a whole is impacted more than Microsoft by poor sales of their consoles.

The Sony Business Model

Sony Corporation Chairman and CEO Howard Stringer said Monday during a press conference at the RCA Dome in Indianapolis, Ind., that his organization will meet fourth-quarter profit expectations thanks to the impending release of the PLAYSTATION 3 and liberal interpretations of the word “profit.”

“You might call it an $8 billion loss,” Stringer told investors during Sony’s press conference. “We call it an $8 billion dollar profit for somebody other than us.”

This gets funny :lol::lol::lol::

“The graphics are so photorealistic that we expect there to be thousands of deaths from gamers who run headfirst into their television sets in a vain attempt to enter the fictional worlds displayed on the screens before them,” said Sheila Partridge, president of the Parental Council for Safer Gaming. “That’s why we’re demanding that every console be shipped with a free helmet.”

“I’ve come to the conclusion that the PLAYSTATION 3 produces fictional worlds way more amazing than the one allegedly made by God at the time of creation,” said Chad Negus, executive chairman of the Society of Nihilists for a Brighter Tomorrow. “Since we all agree that God is dead, why not make the PLAYSTATION 3 our new supreme deity?”

Read the whole thing here --> http://explodingunicorn.blogspot.com/2006/10/sony-business-model.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back