Is the Wii dead?

http://kotaku.com/#!5790770/how-can-nintendos-next-console-possibly-compete

This op-ed on kotaku doesn't like Nintendo's chances of Wii2 anytime soon. Idea being even if Nintendo had the most powerful console, developers will only make better looking ports of the 360/PS3 games for it. And if Wii2 is at the power level of the current 360/PS3, it won't be able to compete even with whatever magical feature it will have. Since there are so many magical devices out there now unlike `06.

To this question:

Sure, they may run slightly better, or feature slightly better graphics. And it may have a few exclusives. But is that enough to warrant the purchase of an entirely new console for people who already own a PS360?

My answer is YES :D

No I don't know what they do. I don't know where things are headed, and it's been a disturbing six years where for the first time its felt like "maybe things won't progress-maybe this is it"...if not for next gen, then maybe the one after. It's sad, because we're not even remotely close to maxing out hardware-probably well over a century away from that. And instead stuff's just focused on worthless gimmicks, and of course DRM's gotten so terrible to the point it threatens to kill entire platforms.

Kotaku plain dislikes Nintendo for the most part as well. I really believe we're getting to the point of where technology is starting to receive diminishing returns. People already owned a PS2 and graphically, while there may be a difference between the Wii and it it's not so much as to make a difference in purchase. People purchased the Wii because of the software offered and what it could do.

Nintendo could get away with it again and even if it doesn't get the same "success" as Wii, it'll still do fine. The market will support all three consoles, indefinitely.

Kinetic, 3D, MotionPlus, Move, and many others are "gimmicks"...but gimmicks eventually turn into features which turn into standards. I welcome these "gimmicks" in that they may offer something substantial in the long run.

See I see no evidence of that diminishing returns thing. Every single generation a new leap in hardware's brought more immersion and new gameplay and refinements. My semi random guess is we could easily do with another hundred years of twice decade updates and have plenty to do with the power...probably longer than that really.

Here's a big problem Nintendo has had for a few years: No Player's Choice lineup. Now I know Nintendo doesn't like lowering the prices of their games, but it's mainly for 3rd parties that need attention to push more units that will get their newer titles more attention. (Example: Sonic Colors. I bought it for $20 and I like it. If they had it with a Light Blue Label on store shelves it could get more attention and if Sonic Colors 2 came out it'd probably garner more sales). I know they have these in Japan, but they need to be worldwide.

[quote name='Wolfpup']See I see no evidence of that diminishing returns thing. Every single generation a new leap in hardware's brought more immersion and new gameplay and refinements. My semi random guess is we could easily do with another hundred years of twice decade updates and have plenty to do with the power...probably longer than that really.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I'll believe in diminishing returns when level designers are free to do whatever they want without worrying about hardware limitations altering the level design. I would love to see a WW2 FPS with real D-day beach landing level. But there is no way current gen can do that any well. Think about thousands of bullets flying around, artillery fire, terrain physics, and etc.

I wouldn't say consoles are suffering from diminishing returns, but rather the advances made from one console generation to the next are getting harder to define. From SNES -> PS1 was easy; we could now do 3D with no problems. From PS1 -> PS2, we could now have fully voice acted games, and the graphics took a very noticable leap. From PS2 -> PS3, graphics again took a leap, but I wouldn't call it as drastic as the previous change. Before long, we'll get to a point where the games from one gen feel like they could have been done the previous gen, but I doubt it'll happen with the next gen.

Personally, I'm most looking forward to the day developers finally master hair, cloth, and water physics. All three are quite common in games, yet always manage to look so crappy.

[quote name='Salamando3000']I wouldn't say consoles are suffering from diminishing returns, but rather the advances made from one console generation to the next are getting harder to define. From SNES -> PS1 was easy; we could now do 3D with no problems. From PS1 -> PS2, we could now have fully voice acted games, and the graphics took a very noticable leap. From PS2 -> PS3, graphics again took a leap, but I wouldn't call it as drastic as the previous change. Before long, we'll get to a point where the games from one gen feel like they could have been done the previous gen, but I doubt it'll happen with the next gen.

Personally, I'm most looking forward to the day developers finally master hair, cloth, and water physics. All three are quite common in games, yet always manage to look so crappy.[/QUOTE]

This.

I guess this is more of what I'm hinting at when I say diminishing returns. I am a technology whore, much like most people here, but I think its starting (Keyword: Starting) to become more difficult to push the line in what we can see...in a obvious manner.

And in a lot of ways, it is obvious that matters the most ultimately.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']The Wii has been dead to me for about 2 years now. It never lived up to it's potential. I was so excited for this system at it's launch. I waited in line with my cousin over night at Target to be one of the first to buy it. I picked it up with Zelda. Even from day one I was unimpressed... with full hype-goggles on I knew something wasn't so hot about this system.

I booted it up, and bought the competent cables so I could play in 480P... I knew it wasn't going to look as good as the 360, but I didn't care I just cared about the games. Much to my surprise when I hooked everything up just to come to the realization of how cheap it all felt. The sensor bar(which I didn't even know it needed at first), the look and feel of the menu's & hardware. The Wii-mote with this tacky wired dongle attached to it.

Then I played Zelda for about 8 hours straight the next day. The whole time I wonder when it was gonna start getting good, at the time Zelda was by far and away my favorite franchise so I knew it couldn't be this dull. I kept playing, then I bought some Virtual Console games, then a few other "AAA" titles eventually came out and I bought them all... never quite feeling satisfied with them. They all felt very uninspired, and were missing that magic Nintendo of old had in their games.

Then I started realizing that the whole system experience was like this for me; dull, uninspired, cheap, a side-step instead of a leap forward. So I sold it, and with the exception of Mario Kart, I haven't missed it at all. I watched as my idea of what I would want from Nintendo was constantly beaten with the truth of what Nintendo had become. They sold Wii Fits, and Wii Motion Plus', and Wii plastic shotguns, and put out Wii condoms, and added more warning screens, but they never seemed to stop all the non-sense and put the focus back into creating a new classic Nintendo master piece.

I've been more than happy with my PS3/DS set-up. I get my serious gaming on my PS3, and my Nintendo fix on the DS. I also have a 360, but I'm becoming increasingly more displeased with that system after having 2 break on me, and now all this Kinect BS being pushed, but that's for another thread..

What's left for the Wii... Skyward Sword? A game which everything I've seen from it looks like a poor excuse for what the Zelda franchise used to be. It's look like a full on waggle-fest, puzzle game. Not the great action adventure with light RPG & puzzle elements of old.

Nintendo use to design controllers for games to make them work better(Super Mario 64), now they design games around their gimmicky controllers to sell more copies to the curious casuals(Skyward Sword).

ab6f56ba.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Awesome troll post. Bitter and butthurt CAG never fails to fail.

Wii is dead last in sales for march 2011 in the US. 360 ontop, PS3, then wii. With wii sales dead in japan and dead in europe, and rumors of a new HD Wii 2, things should get interesting soon. Im sure nintendos time tested internet of 2 cups and a string to connect them will serve them well tho.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Wii is dead last in sales for march 2011 in the US. 360 ontop, PS3, then wii. With wii sales dead in japan and dead in europe, and rumors of a new HD Wii 2, things should get interesting soon. Im sure nintendos time tested internet of 2 cups and a string to connect them will serve them well tho.[/QUOTE]

SO butthurt.
Did a Nintendo rep rape your drunk mother and give birth to you?
Such vitriol for a toy company.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']SO butthurt.
Did a Nintendo rep rape your drunk mother and give birth to you?
Such vitriol for a toy company.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand what he gets out of it. it's rather amusing, albeit sad.

The Wii may or may-not be dead, but can we all agree that the "waggle" in place of a button press needs to die!? :lol:

[quote name='Fonz72']The Wii may or may-not be dead, but can we all agree that the "waggle" in place of a button press needs to die!? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Please please please please PLEASE! ugh, that is so goofy.

Heck, you can do a button press too, but so is like in the NGP Uncharted, where you can swipe on the screen to make him go over logs and stuff. :lol:

GREAT news is I listened to the Game Informer podcast, and one thing they said is they've heard from at least one person that Nintendo's doing this right-they think in reference to hardware performance and apparently at least including a normal pad.

IMO the Wii should have included a classic pad in the box for that matter...

No. Dying, maybe. But if it were dead, then there would literally be no games being developed for it. Seeing as how there are, it is still alive.

[quote name='Fonz72']The Wii may or may-not be dead, but can we all agree that the "waggle" in place of a button press needs to die!? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Not at all. In some cases, I find the "waggle" easier and more responsive than a button press. Personally, I never had an issue with it.

[quote name='Wolfpup']IMO the Wii should have included a classic pad in the box for that matter...[/QUOTE]

Considering few games actually needed a classic pad, it would have been relatively useless. For most games, the Wiimote/nunchuk combo worked really well.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Not at all. In some cases, I find the "waggle" easier and more responsive than a button press. Personally, I never had an issue with it.[/QUOTE]

I with you on this one except for DKC:R. The waggle to roll didn't feel precise. It wasn't enough to ruin this great game though.

I predict Pikmin 3, Last Story, and Pandora's Tower will be revealed/localized at E3 this year along with other titles.

I predict that the new Legend of Zelda will be the Wii's swan song

but I can't wait for The Last Story to come

[quote name='lionheart4life']Yeah I think it's dead. You can only play motion control games with no substance for so long. Nintendo has their money and people are bored of the system now. It's been getting nothing but shovel-ware for a while now.[/QUOTE]

This, agreed 100%.

[quote name='laaj']http://kotaku.com/#!5790770/how-can-nintendos-next-console-possibly-compete

This op-ed on kotaku doesn't like Nintendo's chances of Wii2 anytime soon. Idea being even if Nintendo had the most powerful console, developers will only make better looking ports of the 360/PS3 games for it. And if Wii2 is at the power level of the current 360/PS3, it won't be able to compete even with whatever magical feature it will have. Since there are so many magical devices out there now unlike `06.[/QUOTE]

Knowing Nintendo's history of cheaping out on their hardware designs, there is no way they are going to be able to release a system with any reasonable amount of power. This has been true since the Gamecube, and there is no reason to believe it will ever change. Even if they WERE able to release a console that was at least equal to the 5-6 year old PS3 and 360, it would instantly be out-of-date, and once the next gen comes from Sony and MS, will once again trail the others in power. Nintendo doesn't care about hardware specs, they just care about that next "hook" to get people to buy their console, never mind that the 3rd parties never support it.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Knowing Nintendo's history of cheaping out on their hardware designs, there is no way they are going to be able to release a system with any reasonable amount of power. This has been true since the Gamecube, and there is no reason to believe it will ever change. Even if they WERE able to release a console that was at least equal to the 5-6 year old PS3 and 360, it would instantly be out-of-date, and once the next gen comes from Sony and MS, will once again trail the others in power. Nintendo doesn't care about hardware specs, they just care about that next "hook" to get people to buy their console, never mind that the 3rd parties never support it.[/QUOTE]

One generation's worth? The GameCube was more powerful than the PS2 and comparable to the original Xbox, the N64 is more powerful than the PSOone/Saturn, and the SNES was more powerful than the Genesis.

Nintendo has a history of having very powerful/competent hardware. Nintendo has a history of making stupid decisions at times (Mini-DVD on GameCube, cartridges on N64, etc) but then again so does Microsoft and Sony.

As for third party support, it has been getting better every generation. I know some CAGers have a bit of a "revisionist history" going but the fact of the matter is every generation from N64 to now, third party support has improved greatly. Hell, ever since Iwata has been onboard, it has been his key point to improve it. And he has done it and I'm sure he'll do it again. It's a learning process. Don't get me wrong, it needs major work yet, but the Wii has certainly faired better than the GameCube ever did (And GC to the N64).

Despite hardcore gamers thinking Sony and MS are the second coming or something perfect, they have problems too. Big problems, I would argue just as bad as Nintendo's.

But I digress, I speak more as a shareholder than anything.

The defining games of this gen are Wii Sports and Modern Warfare, and wii sports like experiences can be had on any console now, but modern warfare experiences with proper working online is not available everywhere. Nintendo can never again take the hardcore regardless of anything if they don't have even a reasonable online experience, which they never will. I am very curious to see the new wii anyway, as long as its in HD, they can expect a +1 sale to me at one point. If they pushed for stereoscopic 3-d as well, even more of a bonus.

[quote name='blitz6speed']The defining games of this gen are Wii Sports and Modern Warfare, and wii sports like experiences can be had on any console now, but modern warfare experiences with proper working online is not available everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Except for 360, PS3 and PC. Or are you just timing your statement because PSN is down right now?

it's at a tipping point right now. if nintendo goes and decides to release the next generation console, than the wii is dead no matter what software is released in the coming months. why is it dead?! because all work and emphasis will be on the new console, not the existing console.

[quote name='blitz6speed']The defining games of this gen are Wii Sports and Modern Warfare, and wii sports like experiences can be had on any console now, but modern warfare experiences with proper working online is not available everywhere. Nintendo can never again take the hardcore regardless of anything if they don't have even a reasonable online experience, which they never will.[/QUOTE]

they said the same thing about three things that is no longer mentioned on the wii. chat, storage and downloadables. blitz6speed is talking non sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
why do wii haters love trolling the wii forum?

It's actually quite interesting.

You have occasional fanboys in the xbox and ps3 forums but never live-in trolls.

[quote name='M-PG71C']One generation's worth? The GameCube was more powerful than the PS2 and comparable to the original Xbox, the N64 is more powerful than the PSOone/Saturn, and the SNES was more powerful than the Genesis.

Nintendo has a history of having very powerful/competent hardware. Nintendo has a history of making stupid decisions at times (Mini-DVD on GameCube, cartridges on N64, etc) but then again so does Microsoft and Sony.

As for third party support, it has been getting better every generation. I know some CAGers have a bit of a "revisionist history" going but the fact of the matter is every generation from N64 to now, third party support has improved greatly. Hell, ever since Iwata has been onboard, it has been his key point to improve it. And he has done it and I'm sure he'll do it again. It's a learning process. Don't get me wrong, it needs major work yet, but the Wii has certainly faired better than the GameCube ever did (And GC to the N64).

Despite hardcore gamers thinking Sony and MS are the second coming or something perfect, they have problems too. Big problems, I would argue just as bad as Nintendo's.

But I digress, I speak more as a shareholder than anything.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I can't believe how many people actually believe that Nintendo's hardware is always way behind the competition. That only happened this generation.

As to third party support, there probably wasn't going to be very much of it for the Wii since so many of them discounted the system when it was announced. Third parties wanted powerful hardware, and the Wii clearly wasn't that. Once the Wii became a household name, many third parties tossed their lower tier teams on it to develop quick cash-ins.

If Nintendo's new system is significantly more powerful than the PS3 and 360, and Sony and Microsoft don't release new systems until 2014, then third parties would be foolish to not develop for the new Nintendo system.

Yeah, I'm amazed people don't know the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2. The only systems more powerful that are kind of within that hardware generation are the Wii and Xbox.

It was AMAZING hardware in 2001, particularly for the they're-basically-giving-it-away price of $200 at launch.

I don't know...I'm pretty excited by the prospect of a new Nintendo system. I hope it has backwards compatibility, and I hope it's more powerful than the PS3/360, and I hope its non-gimmicky...

Some negative things about it how no one will really do much extra for it even if it's more powerful. Well, that's true at first...except Nintendo will, and there will be a handful here or there.

Plus really they're already doing extra development work for PC. If the Gamecube 2 can run at 1080p, use the PC versions higher resolution textures, and better processing effects...well that's going to be worth getting the GC2 version of a game for.

If it's true that it's hitting two years ahead of the other systems, then...well...kind of cool.

I don't know, Nintendo's in a weird spot right now, but I just hope if they take a stab at a real gamer's console again like they did with the Gamecube, that it hits big this time. I will slap the first eleven year old who goes "KIDDIE!"

Oh, another thing in regards to the Wii being dead...well, maybe, but so is the 360 as far as we can tell right now. It's only got two first party exclusives we know of for the rest of eternity. To me that means either Microsoft's exiting the console business (while just milking the Xbox for what it's worth), or they have a bunch of stuff, but it's all hidden until e3, or they have an Xbox 3 launching this year or next, and development's all shifted over there.

Hmm...reading IGN's article, they've heard the Gamecube 2 (hey, I can call it that if they call it Wii 2 :D) is "significantly more powerful" than the current gen systems, and that it's going to have a Radeon 4xxx series GPU in it.

Of course THAT doesn't tell us much. It's a generation (or two) out of date, but ranges from still awesome, to barely better than the current gen systems (or maybe slightly worse). Just depends on what it actually is. That's a Direct X 10 part. Weird that they wouldn't be using a variant of the current hardware...

But it says they're shooting for $350-400. If true, that implies it's going to be on the high end of that spectrum, which could make it SEVERAL times more powerful than a PS3/360. It could be that it's sort of in between the PS4 and PS3...or even that it's competitive with the PS4.

At any rate, sounds like a far cry from the Wii. I am SO damn excited to see the Galaxy team's work on this crazy system...

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back