Is Vay for Sega CD any good?

IkilledLassic

CAGiversary!
Just bought a mint complete Vay for Sega CD off Ebay for 10 plus shipping. Wondering if the game was any good. I remember throughly enjoying Lunar for Sega CD, and when I beat it, I returned it to Babbages to get another game for the system (obviously a dumb idea).

I thought it was worthwhile. I played it when it came out in April of 1994. I was a bit younger, but it had great cut scenes (in comparison to that generation of games). I think the company that made it working designs has gone under though. . .

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6141170.html

BTW Anyone know of a Sega Emulation out there? My system died awhile ago, but I have the CDs, and wouldn't mind playing them.

Great game, but you probably have to enjoy old school rpg's for it (lunar is more modern).

Vay has my greatest video game moment though. The last area (where the final boss is) is extremely confusing and, when I first played it (mid 90's), I couldn't find a guide or anything detailing how to solve one part of it. I remember going all over the net trying to. After hours (played over a span of weeks) I finally figured it out. I was at the point where I was going to go back to my old save because I was extremely low on items and I was low levelled as it is (the regular monster where giving me a lot of trouble, I ran from most and would have to heavily heal after a fight when I didn't run, as I was about 10 levels below recommended). Finally I get to the last boss. He had a general pattern of attacks (major attack came after a certain amount of turns). I fight him for about 45 minutes, and I get to the point where I have nothing at all to heal, all my characters hp are low, and his next attack was going to be a large blast that hit (and would have killed) everyone. I get to my last attack (next would be his) and attack him, and kill him.

I suggest playing the game at low levels if you like challenges. The boss battles are doable and many can take 30-45 minutes unless you are levelled up (still a challenge then but just much shorter usually). Last year or so I played it again and was disappointed that the boss fights didn't take a half hour+, then I realized my levels were consistently higher than they had been during the first time.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']I suggest playing the game at low levels if you like challenges.[/QUOTE]
That's, more or less, the same strategy you can employ in any RPG.

Meanwhile, I thought the game was pretty so-so. However, the story seems a bit more epic than most.

I couldn't really get into it; very mediocre. In my opinion, it's the worst Working Designs Sega CD game -- though maybe that's because the rest of them (Lunar 1 & 2, Popful Mail) kick so much ass.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']That's, more or less, the same strategy you can employ in any RPG.

Meanwhile, I thought the game was pretty so-so. However, the story seems a bit more epic than most.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but this game seems custom made for it. Instead of dying quickly, constantly having to resurrect someone every turn (ie. its obvious you should gain more) or having no way of winning etc. this game is different. If you have a good strategy being underleveled results in very long fights where it never really feels like your underleveled, just like you're fighting a very powerful, tough, boss where both of you are equally matched and anyone could win. It provides a challenge to being underleveled, instead of reducing it to just luck like many games do.

2d rpg's are my favorite genre and I've played dozens easily. But I've never played a game that being underleveled worked like it does in this game.

This game was very disappointing. I bought it at release excited about having another Lunar experience. What I received was far from that.

I also just bought one on eBay but didn't get a deal as good as you. Vay is like the most basic RPG ever, but that's what makes it so endearing.

bread's done
Back