Is your launch day XBOX 360 still working?

classflirt

CAGiversary!
I was wondering how many of my fellow CAGs are still using their original launch day 360's. I had 5 friends that purchased the 360 at or around launch, and mine is the last one still running. I don't want to jinx myself, but I have been keeping an eye on the new spring elite packages just in case.

There are so many polls out there on the internet about this. You guys who have launch models are damn lucky to have it keep on trucken after all this time. An achievement should pop up the day you boot on the 5th anniversary of launch saying "Survived 5 years without a Red Ring of Death" 1000 points. :)

[quote name='ITDEFX']There are so many polls out there on the internet about this. You guys who have launch models are damn lucky to have it keep on trucken after all this time. An achievement should pop up the day you boot on the 5th anniversary of launch saying "Survived 5 years without a Red Ring of Death" 1000 points. :)[/QUOTE]

No Kidding.

My launch Red Ringed about a year ago. I still have the refurbished console but I got an elite bundle from Amazon. No problems at all.

Didn't buy at launch (so I didn't vote), but my Oct 2007 pre-falcon model 360 is still going strong. *knocks on wood*

I bought mine 6 months after launch so I guess I don't count, mine died though. My friend however bought a launch 360 system and to this day it's still working. Were always teasing him that his 360 is from krypton or a freak of nature. It's starting to show some age, as it sounds a like a lawnmower lol. So it can give any day now.

I wonder what the failure rate is for launch consoles that were used almost every day? I'd say 80%. But I bet he will say 70%!

Seriously, I don't know anyone with a launch console that hasn't RRODED. Though some people managed to get it work until recently, and then went out to buy new Arcade units to replace them.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Didn't buy at launch (so I didn't vote), but my Oct 2007 pre-falcon model 360 is still going strong. *knocks on wood*[/QUOTE]

Same, I even dropped it once. One thing I always try to remember, and this can pretty much apply to anything, people only complain when they have problems. You hear all sorts of stories about the guy who is on his 400th Xbox. You never hear about all the others who have had no problems at all, and there are much, much more of them.

My 1st gen elite system (bought with gta4 2008 i believe) finally crapped out yesterday
:(.

At such a bad time too.. perfect dark and splinter cell demo today :(
And i had started playing ff13.

Thinking about getting the splinter cell bundle coming up since i already have ff13 and cod. I believe the new chipsets are doing much better.. and now those rumors about the 360 slim...

It died this past August, I was pretty shocked it had such a good run. I decided to replace it originally but then fixed it up with a kit and gave it to my nephews, so it has risen from the grave.

[quote name='ITDEFX']There are so many polls out there on the internet about this. You guys who have launch models are damn lucky to have it keep on trucken after all this time. An achievement should pop up the day you boot on the 5th anniversary of launch saying "Survived 5 years without a Red Ring of Death" 1000 points. :)[/QUOTE]

Iz got dat achievement!, 10/29/2009. Went out and replaced it with an Arcade model. Sent the original in for repairs and was sent a replacement instead -- I really need to get around to selling it.

As for the poll, I'm confused. Should I choose option B or C?:whistle2:k

the red ring is coming soon. it's been running all this time...now it's freezing up. it's not the hard drive because it does it with or without the harddrive attatched...rrod is on its way

I believe I purchased a used launch console. (8/2006)

It E74ed.. but I can still boot it up by punching the side a couple times and wiggling the AV cable. :lol:

My launch system still works (sent in twice for repairs) but I picked up an Arcade unit for $100 last year and use that most of the time since it is much much quieter and doesn't get so hot.

I have a launch 360 (purchased from docvinh here on CAG). It's still running strong, but I never let my Gamestop credit drop below $200 because now that it's out of warranty, I'm sure the day will come soon enough when it dies and I need to go get an Arcade to replace it.

I had a day one launch system and it never gave me problems at all for 4+ years, but it finally died last month from a E74 error. Thankfully, I had bought an arcade from the Amazon $100 credit offer. Probably lucky but on the opposite side, my PS3s have died 3 times, all stopped reading discs (Bluray drive broke each time).

I have a launch system. It never got a RROD, but the graphics started freezing. I bought some parts at Lowe's (steel washers, nylon washers, screws) and some silver heatsink paste at Radioshack and fixed it up. For $15 in parts and an hour of my time, I was able to get my launch system working better than new. Forget buying new systems, just repair what you already have.

[quote name='Drclaw411']the red ring is coming soon. it's been running all this time...now it's freezing up. it's not the hard drive because it does it with or without the harddrive attatched...rrod is on its way[/QUOTE]

Same thing started happening to me around 2 months ago. Started getting stuck when opening the disk tray, with or without hard drive. I got the E74 error, but my hard drive was fine. Can also be a E79 error (similar to E74, but your HDD is still good).

Technically mine still works even though ive had to replace the motherboard but like most others i still got an arcade with HDMI and use it now

I got mine about 6 months or so after launch and it still works most of the time. Some games lock up and I get DREs a lot on some of them. I'm sure it is on its way out though.

On my 5th or 6th. Never had any system quit working or break in my entire video game life other than the 360. Keep in mind I'm going way back to the Odyssey.

Well, I didn't buy a 360 until the elites launched. But it will be 3 years old in august and is still ticking, although I don't think it could be any louder.

I keep throwing a few bucks into the jar here and there for the inevitable failure one day; have $200 ish sitting there. I am sorta waiting on the rumored "slim" revamp, and hoping it lasts that long.

my first xbox 360 (ive got it the night before it released) lasted for 3 months then i got a 3 red rings. At first i was in denial thinking it was the game itself then when i called microsoft and told me my xbox needs to be sent to hq to be replaced for the cost of 80 dollars i was pissed off. After i sent it to hq i've recieved a message on my email saying i was eligible for getting it repaired for free so i called and told me i was going to get my money back (long story short i've not yet recieved my money back). My second xbox came and worked for 30 minutes (literally). Ive sent it back and recieved my 3rd one and they game me a free 3 month xbox live card a year later i got my 3rd red ring but this time they gave me a refurbished xbox 360 (i still have it currently) sometimes it freezes but ive havent got the 3 red rings

luckly ive brought another xbox 360 with the jasper board

My launch 360 worked great up until January last year when it finally red-ringed. I sent it in to get fixed and it's worked great ever since, though. My new Elite is about a million times better, though.

[quote name='streetsweeperz']my first xbox 360 (ive got it the night before it released) lasted for 3 months then i got a 3 red rings. At first i was in denial thinking it was the game itself then when i called microsoft and told me my xbox needs to be sent to hq to be replaced for the cost of 80 dollars i was pissed off. After i sent it to hq i've recieved a message on my email saying i was eligible for getting it repaired for free so i called and told me i was going to get my money back (long story short i've not yet recieved my money back).[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you need to shoot off a EECB...if you still have the paperwork.

Somebody on the IGN 360 podcast this last week (former Team XBox guy don't remember his name) said he's on his NINTH machine.

I've heard of a few 5-7's, but never a nine.

As for myself:
Won EBay auction for launch unit on New Year's Eve 05
RRoD in May 06, refurb received in July 06
refurb lasts until June 08, 2nd refurb received in July 08
get new HDMI-enabled Arcade weekend of price drop in Sept. 08, using that unit since (traded the "original" into Gamestop for credit- it was working but OoW)

My launch console is long gone. RROD'd on me a long time ago. Might have been repairable but I upgraded to an elite a short while after.

I bought mine Nov. 2008 new and its still running but I hardly play it. I couldn't imagine if that happened to me, I'd be super pissed, then again I don't play it much. I bet the new slim version is going to be dope.

still running ok been threw 2 red rings and every now and then it gets 4 rings
waiting till its goes all the way out be4 get a new one 2007 20gb

bread's done
Back