It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nikkai']I actually saw 2 Wiis at Target on Clark and Roosevelt this morning (around 9:30). Seems like they're dwindling in.

Hope they last w/ Mario Kart and Wii Fit coming out....

Derwood: Will you have access to a car or are you going to cab it everywhere? You gotta hit Lou Malnati's or Giardano's for Chicago style pizza.[/quote]

I will have a car.

[quote name='Derwood43']Hey guys! I'm not from Chicago, but I'm visiting your city next week.

I'll have a few hours to tool around the downtown area while I'm there. I'm staying at the Hotel Blake, to give you an idea of where I'll be located.

Anyone have any suggestions for things to do??

Thanks![/quote]

There's plenty of stuff around the Loop and Gold Coast to keep you busy. A walk up Michigan Ave is always a good way to kill a few hours. Check out Orange or Lou Mitchell's in the Loop for breakfast. Or go to the bar at the top of the Hancock for an awesome and free view of the city.
If the Cubs are playing, take a train up to Wrigleyville and check out the scene at game time.
BTW....since you have a car. Park it and walk or use the CTA. You'll waste more time and $$ looking for parking downtown.

[quote name='chi.bri']There's plenty of stuff around the Loop and Gold Coast to keep you busy. A walk up Michigan Ave is always a good way to kill a few hours. Check out Orange or Lou Mitchell's in the Loop for breakfast. Or go to the bar at the top of the Hancock for an awsome and free view of the city.
If the Cubs are playing, take a train up to Wrigleyville and check out the scene at game time.
BTW....since you have a car. Park it and walk or use the CTA. You'll waste more time and $$ looking for parking downtown.[/quote]

Mmmmmm. Orange for breakfast rocks my world.:drool:

[quote name='shieryda']Mmmmmm. Orange for breakfast rocks my world.:drool:[/quote]

Went there yesterday.
I had the boring pancakes, my gf had the green eggs and ham. Washed it all down with a watermelon and lime juice.

[quote name='chi.bri']Went there yesterday.
I had the boring pancakes, my gf had the green eggs and ham. Washed it all down with a watermelon and lime juice.[/quote]

My first trip there was a memorable one. My wife was pregnant at the time, and end up losing her breakfast about halfway through. The bathroom was tough to find, and she almost didn't make it. The wait for the food was pretty long, too.:bomb:

everyone's talking about getting a job at gamestop or gc...I work at the newer(ish) gamestop on North broadway, in the Sun Plaza....if i do say so myself, we've got a solid friendly staff...stop by sometime!

[quote name='c!ty']Has anyone ever been to either, Classic Toys & Games in Rockford or the Volo Car museum (apparently they sell video games in one of the antique malls)?
[/quote]

My friend worked at Volo. I was there once a long time ago to see the original batmobile. Didn't see games there, but antique malls can have anything.

[quote name='shieryda']My first trip there was a memorable one. My wife was pregnant at the time, and end up losing her breakfast about halfway through. The bathroom was tough to find, and she almost didn't make it. The wait for the food was pretty long, too.:bomb:[/quote]

Yeah, on the weekend it gets packed there and you need a map to find the restroom too.
Best thing to do is take a bottle of champagne and make some mimosa'a with their fresh squeezed OJ. Kick ass stuff.

My gf is pregnat right now, luckily we haven't had too many of those sick spells. The only time she gets sick is when she eats junk food.
Last week we went to the Logan and saw Juno. She almost didn't make it home because she had some popcorn and an elote (corn with a bunch of heart stopping stuff).
She ran to the restrrom as soon as I we got home.

[quote name='themightypencil']everyone's talking about getting a job at gamestop or gc...I work at the newer(ish) gamestop on North broadway, in the Sun Plaza....if i do say so myself, we've got a solid friendly staff...stop by sometime![/quote]

On Broadway just south of Diversey?
Or is there another one?

[quote name='ryosnk']Anyone know where to find xbox live subscriptions for cheap and live points?

Thanks.[/quote]

Same here. I was looking for a deal on points when the COD4 maps came out, but had no luck. The TrU on Western was completely out of point cards.
The only deal I saw was for Mass Effect. Best Buy was giving free points when you bought the game.

[quote name='chi.bri']On Broadway just south of Diversey?
Or is there another one?[/quote]

No, there's a new-ish one just north of Lawrence across from the post office. Uptown, baby! (I work at Truman College)

Pencil, are you the guy with the tattoo sleeves? I was in there a few weeks ago.

How about that earthquake this morning? I didn't feel it cause I was sleeping like a baby, but apparently it did some damage in the Midwest.

[quote name='Blackout542']How about that earthquake this morning? I didn't feel it cause I was sleeping like a baby, but apparently it did some damage in the Midwest.[/quote]

5.2 on the scale. Biggest in 40 years for this region. I didn't feel a thing.

Hey Chicago Cheap-o's,
Last weekend I went to Maxwell Street market and was suprised by the number of games vendors I saw there.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=W+Roosevelt+Rd+%26+Canal+,+Chicago,+Cook,+Illinois+60607,+United+States&jsv=107&sll=41.86841,-87.640729&sspn=0.007542,0.019999&ie=UTF8&ll=41.868586,-87.638712&spn=0.007542,0.019999&t=h&z=16

I counted no less than 10 vendors with gaming related stuff to hawk. So if negotiating for your next game sounds like fun, give Maxwell Steet a shot.
And if you don't find what you need there's a new GS up the street next to Whole Foods.
The market is on Sunday's from about 8ish until mid-afternoon.

[quote name='dpac']Yeah, the magnitude was revised down from 5.4, but I was up at the time and it was a pretty jarring experience.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080418/ap_on_re_us/midwest_earthquake

I think I felt a good aftershock about 40 minutes ago, too. Californians must think this is old hat.[/quote]

Yeah, I felt something a while ago too.
Doesn't compare to the rumblers I use to go through in SoCal though. The quakes there would make you run for your life, but then you'd realize there's no where to go. So you have no choice but to ride it out.

[quote name='Blackout542']How about that earthquake this morning? I didn't feel it cause I was sleeping like a baby, but apparently it did some damage in the Midwest.[/quote]

Was it around 4:30 AM? My 'Madman' lunchbox was rocking, but I thought it was my roommate stumbling by my room.

[quote name='c!ty']Has anyone ever been to either, Classic Toys & Games in Rockford or the Volo Car museum (apparently they sell video games in one of the antique malls)?
[/QUOTE]

I go to CTG every so often, the owners do a lot of ebay/amazon selling, so the prices aren't too competitive. A few gems here and there, though.

no, im not the one with the tattoos..thats my boss, hes a great guy who is very too the point about games-he'll be honest if he doesnt like one..but hes a fantastic guy..everyone at the store is, if i do say so myself-a nice group of guys there

ahh i keep forgettin to check this thread. but anyway, i only learned there was an earthquake after my bro told me in the morning. and i was like "is that why the top mattress of my bed is like a foot away from the wall now?"

[quote name='chi.bri']Hey Chicago Cheap-o's,
Last weekend I went to Maxwell Street market and was suprised by the number of games vendors I saw there.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...586,-87.638712&spn=0.007542,0.019999&t=h&z=16

I counted no less than 10 vendors with gaming related stuff to hawk. So if negotiating for your next game sounds like fun, give Maxwell Steet a shot.
And if you don't find what you need there's a new GS up the street next to Whole Foods.
The market is on Sunday's from about 8ish until mid-afternoon.[/quote]

oh mann i haven't been there in ages. i miss that kinda thing. there's always a gem here or there.

[quote name='shieryda']You'd think that those idiots at the CTA would welcome ads for what will prove to be one of the biggest game releases in recent history. They are hemorraging money like nobody's business.[/quote]

Yeah but all teh little children might see that on the side of the bus and instantly start killing cops and all their teachers.

They look super cool on the bus too.

[quote name='Blackout542']Yeah but all teh little children might see that on the side of the bus and instantly start killing cops and all their teachers.

[/quote]

Not if we kill them first!:bouncy:

[quote name='shieryda']Not if we kill them first!:bouncy:[/quote]

I'll be too busy playing GTA4 though...:cry:

[quote name='Blackout542']I'll be too busy playing GTA4 though...:cry:[/quote]

We need to get the Chicago crew together in a clan for some online slaying.

[quote name='shieryda']We need to get the Chicago crew together in a clan for some online slaying.[/quote]

That would be awesome. Where are you getting your copy at? I preordered over at Six Corners. I'm going to the midnight launch (I think they're having one). Maybe we can have like a mini meet up there?

[quote name='Blackout542']That would be awesome. Where are you getting your copy at? I preordered over at Six Corners. I'm going to the midnight launch (I think they're having one). Maybe we can have like a mini meet up there?[/quote]

Me too!!!! Let's plan on meeting there for the launch. PM me your number again, please.

They are doing a midnight launch. Line starts at 10-10:30PM on Monday night.

[quote name='shieryda']Me too!!!! Let's plan on meeting there for the launch. PM me your number again, please.

They are doing a midnight launch. Line starts at 10-10:30PM on Monday night.[/quote]

That sounds good. I'm going with a couple of friends (semi cheap asses) so it should be a lot of fun. I've never been to a midnight launch before so I'm pretty excited.

Are any other Chicago CAGs interested in a meet up for the GTA 4 launch?

GameStop on Montrose and California I think, has the Nyko FrontMan Guitar for the PS3 that lets you use it on either GH or RockBand. Just in case someone needs a 2nd guitar. They aren't suppose to be out until 5-15-08.

Ok, it's Passover. The one time of the year where I convert to a jew for one purpose - to secure some sugar-cane coke. I stopped drinking soda when I was kid but the sugarcane soda is the only exception to that rule. Now, do any chicago CAGs know where I can get some? I need my sugarcane like a crackhead needs his fix. Help me Chitown CAGs!

This may be random as hell - but anyone work or know anyone who works at bestbuy? I need a car alarm pref w/ remote start and don't feel like spending a fortune

Reason I pick bestbuy is I got GC's there

[quote name='slowdive21']Do you mean Mexican coke or is this one different?[/quote]

I haven't had Mexican coke since I went to Mexico on vacation as a kid so I don't remember if they're the same. The kosher ones were just like the ones I had as a kid in a glass bottle. Seriously, that stuff was top shelf for a poor lil kid back then.

[quote name='Blackout542']That sounds good. I'm going with a couple of friends (semi cheap asses) so it should be a lot of fun. I've never been to a midnight launch before so I'm pretty excited.

Are any other Chicago CAGs interested in a meet up for the GTA 4 launch?[/QUOTE]

I'm picking up my copy at midnight but I've got it pre-ordered at the Brickyard EB Games.

[quote name='jaykrue']I haven't had Mexican coke since I went to Mexico on vacation as a kid so I don't remember if they're the same. The kosher ones were just like the ones I had as a kid in a glass bottle. Seriously, that stuff was top shelf for a poor lil kid back then.[/quote]

I checked a Mexican coke bottle and there is no K or parve or any symbols on it.

[quote name='slowdive21']I checked a Mexican coke bottle and there is no K or parve or any symbols on it.[/quote]

Well, I'm not really jewish so I'm not too worried about violating jewish traditions. I'm just looking for some pure sugarcane Coke. I talked to my friend about it the other day and she said they might have some at Costco so I'm gonna go check out the one in Orland Park. But if you know of any other places, by all means, please, let me and my fellow sugarcane soda addicts know.;):bouncy:

[quote name='jaykrue']Well, I'm not really jewish so I'm not too worried about violating jewish traditions. I'm just looking for some pure sugarcane Coke. I talked to my friend about it the other day and she said they might have some at Costco so I'm gonna go check out the one in Orland Park. But if you know of any other places, by all means, please, let me and my fellow sugarcane soda addicts know.;):bouncy:[/quote]

I know you want coke, but jones cola uses pure cane sugar. At least the cream soda does for sure, since I have some in front of me.

[quote name='jaykrue']Well, I'm not really jewish so I'm not too worried about violating jewish traditions. I'm just looking for some pure sugarcane Coke. I talked to my friend about it the other day and she said they might have some at Costco so I'm gonna go check out the one in Orland Park. But if you know of any other places, by all means, please, let me and my fellow sugarcane soda addicts know.;):bouncy:[/quote]

Check out your local Mexican market (Carniceria) for Mexican Coke. You're not gonna find it at Costco, Jewel, or any big box store.
I get mine here:
Carniceria Guanajuado
1436 N Ashland Ave
Chicago, IL 60622

DSCF0719.PNG

[quote name='chi.bri']Same here. I was looking for a deal on points when the COD4 maps came out, but had no luck. The TrU on Western was completely out of point cards.
The only deal I saw was for Mass Effect. Best Buy was giving free points when you bought the game.[/quote]

It is hard to find a deal on points. The last I can remember was a dell deal that many cag's took advantage of. If I remember correctly I scored a 4000pt card for around $25 shipped.

Earthquake: I was still up, gaming. Had my headphones on, felt my chair shaking. I thought it was my body telling me to get some sleep. Didn't find out until later it was a quake. My wife was more rattled even though she was asleep. She's from Mexico City and has ridden out a few big ones.

Ad bans: Screw that shit. On a side note, I'm completely anti-censorship (and I swear like a sailor in front of my 6 yr old), but this morning I drove past a billboard for some trading company that read "Holy shi", and I found myself somewhat offended. Maybe because it's completely tacky.

Kosher koke: The Jewel-Osco on Howard in Evanston caters to asizeable Jewish population. I'd check 'em out.

[quote name='chi.bri']Check out your local Mexican market (Carniceria) for Mexican Coke. You're not gonna find it at Costco, Jewel, or any big box store.
I get mine here:
Carniceria Guanajuado
1436 N Ashland Ave
Chicago, IL 60622

DSCF0719.PNG
[/quote]

Guanajuato.
I didn't know about Mexican coke being so much better. After all these years I took it for granted.

I mentioned that I might need to get rid of a lot of comics quick....well that time has come. With the closing of my condo coming in a few days, I don't think I'll have time to get a complete list of my entire collection done, so I guess I'll have to price the whole thing to sell quick. I have alot of Uncanny X-Men (as old as #197 from the top of my head) and Amazing Spider-Man books, with almost all the early Image books, as well as some others. A few of the early X-men (and I think all the older books that I started collecting) are not in "collectible" condition but the newer ones are in Mint/near-mint condition. Anyone interested?

I think I will need them gone by Wednesday...

bread's done
Back