It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it is pretty hard to get these things going. Let's set the date a month in advance and get a roll call going early so we have a good turn out.

Galloping Ghost is probably the best spot since we can game there all day and they also have space to just hang there, chill and trade/sell games.

[quote name='Blackout']Yeah it is pretty hard to get these things going. Let's set the date a month in advance and get a roll call going early so we have a good turn out.

Galloping Ghost is probably the best spot since we can game there all day and they also have space to just hang there, chill and trade/sell games.[/QUOTE]

Month: October or November

Time: 12pm

Date?

Throwing these dates out there and let's see what sticks. Post and let's see which one date we can get the most people.

Possible dates.
10/13-14/2012
10/20
10/27
11/10
11/17

[quote name='ryosnk']
Possible dates.
10/13-14/2012
10/20
10/27
11/10
11/17[/QUOTE]

As of now, I can't do 10/27 or 11/10. The rest appear to be open at this time.

I think we still get a CAG rate of $12/person. I'm not sure though as I haven't been there for a while. Last time I was able to get $10, but GG was new at the time. If we can get a date and group I can get a hold of Doc and see if he can help us out. I think now that they are busy, the discounts may not apply anymore.

Most of the dates look fine to me.

[quote name='mrosnwo']As of now, I can't do 10/27 or 11/10. The rest appear to be open at this time.[/QUOTE]

10/20 is the best bet for me, I work every other weekend, my job is kinda demanding, 60 hour weeks is kinda the norm

[quote name='meta460085']10/20 is the best bet for me, I work every other weekend, my job is kinda demanding, 60 hour weeks is kinda the norm[/QUOTE]

10/20 works great for me as well.

[quote name='bigsick']10/20 works great for me as well.[/QUOTE]

Lets see if can solidify this date, we've been trying since July to get a date that works for most. Also, do we all promise to NOT be serial killers ;-)

Has anybody been to Nickel City Arcade in Northbrook? I haven't been in years but last time I was there it was a nice trip down memory lane. Most cabinets are old games from my youth so it was up my alley. When I was there I think they charged $3 to get in and all cabinets were in multiples of nickels to Play so games were 5 to 25 cents. They also had all the really old cabinets in the rear on free play so I got my TMNT fix on the cheap. Been wanting to go back for a while.

[quote name='meta460085']Has anybody been to Nickel City Arcade in Northbrook? I haven't been in years but last time I was there it was a nice trip down memory lane. Most cabinets are old games from my youth so it was up my alley. When I was there I think they charged $3 to get in and all cabinets were in multiples of nickels to Play so games were 5 to 25 cents. They also had all the really old cabinets in the rear on free play so I got my TMNT fix on the cheap. Been wanting to go back for a while.[/QUOTE]

Years ago, when it first opened, I think, if it's the one off 94. Was okay, but I guess I wasn't as susceptible to nostalgia back then, cuz I haven't been back since.

I wish I could coincide a flush pay period with one of these Chicagoland meetups, but it hasn't been in the cards yet. There's a Half Price Books nearby in Countryside if you guys do a meetup at Galloping Ghost; sometimes you can score something good, especially if you're there with one of their big coupons.

Lastly, I took my family to that circus from Mexico in Little Village last night, and afterwards finally made it to that ice cream place, Flamingo's, in Berwyn. Great, crazy selection of flavors and other stuff too. I can't remember the last time I ordered 3 scoops of ice cream at once, but I couldn't pass up calabaza (pumpkin), camote (sweet potato), and Parmesan-cheese helado (ice cream)—my daughter had a scoop with Gansito chunks in it. Definitely going back the next time I'm in the neighborhood.

[quote name='meta460085']Lets see if can solidify this date, we've been trying since July to get a date that works for most. Also, do we all promise to NOT be serial killers ;-)[/QUOTE]

My best friend calls me Dexter and my ex GF used to call me killer. But I haven't killed anyone yet. :lol: Most of us know each other already.

[quote name='dfg']Y
I wish I could coincide a flush pay period with one of these Chicagoland meetups, but it hasn't been in the cards yet. There's a Half Price Books nearby in Countryside if you guys do a meetup at Galloping Ghost; sometimes you can score something good, especially if you're there with one of their big coupons.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I stop there when I drive to the ghost. There is also a disc replay that I hit (maybe even in the same shopping center).

10/20 will work for me as well. I will pencil it in.

[quote name='slowdive21']My best friend calls me Dexter and my ex GF used to call me killer. But I haven't killed anyone yet. :lol: Most of us know each other already.

Yeah, I stop there when I drive to the ghost. There is also a disc replay that I hit (maybe even in the same shopping center).

10/20 will work for me as well. I will pencil it in.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, usually hit both of those spots on the way back home.

Well I'm kicking off a spending spree this week. I took off Thursday and Friday and I'm craiglisting all week long, gonna try and track down a N64, been itching for some Killer Instinct for years and I must finally scratch. Also excited that I found a Dreamcast VGA box, played some Power Stone 2 for a couple hours on an old 4x3 monitor and it never looked so good.

[quote name='meta460085']Well I'm kicking off a spending spree this week. I took off Thursday and Friday and I'm craiglisting all week long, gonna try and track down a N64, been itching for some Killer Instinct for years and I must finally scratch. Also excited that I found a Dreamcast VGA box, played some Power Stone 2 for a couple hours on an old 4x3 monitor and it never looked so good.[/QUOTE]

Playing dreamcast hooked up to a VGA box for the first time made my jaw drop. Especially playing the Capcom fighters on it.

I'll try and keep 10/20 open then, can't wait to get back there. I used to go frequently, but I think I've only been to the ghost once since our last(pretty sparse) meetup there last year.

As far as nickel city in northbrook, a friend and I used to go a lot, but that was a time before galloping ghost existed. Last time I was there, nearly 3 years ago, nothing was new, and a bunch of games were broken down. They do have "chance" games like ski ball and bozo buckets to win tickets for candy, troll dolls, and chinese finger traps though! From a gaming standpoint, it's extremely sub-par, not even close to the ghost though. It's really not a fair comparison.

Well, did some craiglisting this weekend and got some sweet stuff. Will post pics and or video on this thread tomorrow or Tuesday.

Dammit, dammit, son of a...my buddy's wife is organizing a birthday party for him at the Galloping Ghost on the 29th. Would absolutely love to go, but the 29th is my anniversary. Guess I'm out of that one.

[quote name='slowdive21']^^^I used to try to buy the kiosk at retail. Never got on though. I do own part of a PS3 kiosk from a BB that closed last year. NICE![/QUOTE]

Yea, there usually pretty cool looking, been wanting a dreamcast kiosk but have not seen any for sale in the last year I've been looking. Some Guy on eBay made one and had it for sale so I might try making one from scratch.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']I dont understand the appeal of kiosks at all.[/QUOTE]

Yea to each his own I guess. I think they look pretty sweet in my basement but my wife would certaintly agree with you lol.

Anyone score on the TRU pc stuff? Saw a bunch of Chicagoland posters in the specific deal thread. Someone saved me a trip to Woodfieldville, and I saw some stuff at the Golf Mill area store, but didn't buy anything.

[quote name='dfg']Anyone score on the TRU pc stuff? Saw a bunch of Chicagoland posters in the specific deal thread. Someone saved me a trip to Woodfieldville, and I saw some stuff at the Golf Mill area store, but didn't buy anything.[/QUOTE]

hmm, I will have to find a tru thread now. Did they penny or something?

[quote name='ryosnk']Anyone going to portage theater to see the CM punk documentary tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

I was there. It was pretty awesome.

[quote name='Blackout']I was there. It was pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately didn't go. I had to work till 7:30. My brother went and he said the same of the event.

[quote name='slowdive21']hmm, I will have to find a tru thread now. Did they penny or something?[/QUOTE]

Damn, I missed this somehow, but I saw your post in the TRU thread.

Anybody have any luck price-matching? I want to try my local Best Buys but I'm confrontation-averse. Maybe I should go in with the blue shirt I still have from when I worked at the Howard street store (313 fo life) back in high school.

[quote name='dfg']Damn, I missed this somehow, but I saw your post in the TRU thread.

Anybody have any luck price-matching? I want to try my local Best Buys but I'm confrontation-averse. Maybe I should go in with the blue shirt I still have from when I worked at the Howard street store (313 fo life) back in high school.[/QUOTE]

Supposedly there was an email sent by BB corp to no longer pm TRU on the games. I hit 2 TRUs and all I saw was Battlefield 3, Rage, Starcraft battlechest, and SWOR.

[quote name='slowdive21']Supposedly there was an email sent by BB corp to no longer pm TRU on the games. I hit 2 TRUs and all I saw was Battlefield 3, Rage, Starcraft battlechest, and SWOR.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I called a bunch last night and most of them said they didn't have much left, and the one I stopped at (Golf Mill) had pretty much the same titles.

I hope the email was district and not nationwide. I might bring a copy of their PM policy, but there's plenty of room for them to say no. We'll see.

[quote name='dfg']Yeah I called a bunch last night and most of them said they didn't have much left, and the one I stopped at (Golf Mill) had pretty much the same titles.

I hope the email was district and not nationwide. I might bring a copy of their PM policy, but there's plenty of room for them to say no. We'll see.[/QUOTE]

What I do (and I will attempt once fedex delievers my sig required package :bomb:) is ask the BB employee to bring it up on google. If they type 'toys r us diablo 3', the first result shows the 9.98 price.

[quote name='dfg']I'm going to bring a printout, but even using the TRU site's search brings them up now.[/QUOTE]

Oh, wow, thats cool that it is working now! I also noticed the Diablo battlechest is 9.98. I already own several copies from years sales, but that is a good deal too!

Success! Wife wanted to hit Old Orchard after work, so that's 2 Best Buys on the way. The Golf Mill one (near Golf and Milwaukee) was a no-go; customer service cashier wasn't convinced and kicked it up to her manager who said no because the TRU across the street didn't have it in stock. They were polite and sympathetic about it, though. The BB across the street from Old Orchard didn't even bother checking: they looked at my printout of the TRU.com page and PM'd it at the register.

Strategy? Also bought a copy of Amalur that I'm going to return cos it don' activate on Steam.

[quote name='dfg']Success! Wife wanted to hit Old Orchard after work, so that's 2 Best Buys on the way. The Golf Mill one (near Golf and Milwaukee) was a no-go; customer service cashier wasn't convinced and kicked it up to her manager who said no because the TRU across the street didn't have it in stock. They were polite and sympathetic about it, though. The BB across the street from Old Orchard didn't even bother checking: they looked at my printout of the TRU.com page and PM'd it at the register.

Strategy? Also bought a copy of Amalur that I'm going to return cos it don' activate on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy across Old Orchard is my go to store for games. My friend works there and lets me price match any sale.

Figures, I think I kinda committed to driving all the way down to Quincy on the 20th. Still a chance I don't do that, in which case I'd glady hit the Ghost. I'm really bad at making plans way in advance, cause stuff always comes up while waiting it out. I always tend to take things on a week by week basis over the last year or two now.

Edit: Turns out I'm out of town on the 27th, not the 20th afterall, but I've got a Halloween party at night. I can probably swing by for a few hours early in the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='meta460085']Me and some friends are gonna go next Saturday so if any CAGs happen to be there, sweet.[/QUOTE]

Me and my bro are going. I'll be the guy with the white sox hat.

bread's done
Back