It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Blackout']Nice! I've always wanted to check that place out. When is it opening?

The hell happened to EB Games though?[/QUOTE]

EB Games closed down when they finished remodeling the "New & Improved" Gamestop at the Brickyard.

[quote name='jalopez86']I saw a Play N Trade in Cicero. What kind of place is it?[/QUOTE]

It's like Gamestop plus games from classic systems (SNES, NES, etc). Their prices aren't that great, though I don't know how their TIVs compare. I've been to a couple of their stores but walked away empty handed.

[quote name='saturnotaku']It's like Gamestop plus games from classic systems (SNES, NES, etc). Their prices aren't that great, though I don't know how their TIVs compare. I've been to a couple of their stores but walked away empty handed.[/QUOTE]

I might go check them out anyway since I do want a SNES and a Dreamcast for my collection.

Anyone here in the know for Game Crazy closings? If everything goes right I could check at least two stores this weekend.

From what Estebon listed, practically ALL the GameCrazy stores in the Chicago/Chicagoland area are gonna close. Can anyone else confirm?...This is extremely depressing.

I just read Estebon's post about which Chicago area Game Crazys are closing. It's kinda' depressing but not really. I live within walking distance to the one on 43rd and Ashland and it is, or was, awful. The only good find I had there was a complete Tetris DS used for 13$. Also, their Black Friday deals beat Game Stop's by a mile. But they did have it coming.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']From what Estebon listed, practically ALL the GameCrazy stores in the Chicago/Chicagoland area are gonna close. Can anyone else confirm?...This is extremely depressing.[/QUOTE]

What stores?

[quote name='Blackout']What stores?[/QUOTE]

From what I read, the only one NOT CLOSING will be Oak Lawn, Oak Forest, and South Michigan (IN) locations. This is tragic....especially when I just renewed my MVP two months ago and credit to use.

Can anybody vouch for this place?

http://www.chicagogadgets.com/index.html

They supposedly can fix cracked DS hinges and I got two that need fixing.

I already call Nintendo about it, and they quoted me at $80 to fix both and that is because I had my DSs for over a year now and the warranty expired. They only found this out after giving them the serial number, when I asked them what if I didn't have the serial numbers, they would have taken my word if I said I had bought them less than a year ago and repaired them for free:hot:.

btw, anybody interested.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/vgm/1401463752.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/vgm/1401453891.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/vgm/1401423610.html

If anyone is looking for Scene It BOS edition w/ big button controllers, I saw some at the K-mart on Milwaukee and Division for $20.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']Palatine GameCrazy is definitely closing. The shelves are basically bare now. Serious bummer.[/QUOTE]

Dang, was thinking of heading over there Monday night. Guess I won't bother now since it's out of my way.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']From what I read, the only one NOT CLOSING will be Oak Lawn, Oak Forest, and South Michigan (IN) locations. This is tragic....especially when I just renewed my MVP two months ago and credit to use.[/QUOTE]

Can anyone confirm the one on Central closing?

I'm abit sad that we aint getting the olympics. Oh well hopefully with all the determination put into trying to get it we can use that same determination on fixing many problems in our great city.

I have a xbox 360 flashed with 1.6 firm pluce 5 games of your choice for 200$ firm
no controllers but all the plugs chicago land only emal

[quote name='FatBoyInside']From what Estebon listed, practically ALL the GameCrazy stores in the Chicago/Chicagoland area are gonna close. Can anyone else confirm?...This is extremely depressing.[/QUOTE]

Well I've never gone to Game Crazy, so it doesn't REALLY affect me, but it is sad that another company trying to compete with Gamestop Corp is failing. From what I understand, though, the only one I would consider close to me is in Elmhurst, and that's staying open!

I tried going to Game Crazy on 43rd and Ashland but the place was already closed. They had a sign on the front door that read; "Closed. Please visit our other locations at 62nd and Pulaski or 95th and Richmond." I hated that store I'm glad that store/location closed. Awful managers. Worse employees.

[quote name='jalopez86']I tried to go to the Game Crazy on 43rd and Ashland but the place was already closed. They had a sign on the front door that read; "Closed. Please visit our other locations at 62nd and Pulaski or 95th and Richmond." I hated that store I'm glad that store/location closed. Awful managers. Worse employees.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I was planning on going to that one on the weekend.

Anyone want to go in on buying 2 Uncharted 2 copies at Toys 'R Us and then one of us can buy out the other guy for the 3rd copy by paying an extra ~$20 for it.
Or, better yet, if we can find 3 people, we can each get one copy for ~$42 or less.

I live in the near NW burbs, but get to the North side very often.
If you are interested, PM me.

I have a couple extra copies of Valkyria Chronicles (still sealed). I paid $22 (including tax) each at Wal-Mart. I picked them up in case any local CAGs want them. Just looking for $22, or if someone wants to be generous I would trade for a NFS Shift or Katamari Forever. I'm in Evanston, or can meet outside of my work in the downtown area.

I have an extra 29.99 game at TRU I can exchange if anyone wants a game that is 29.99. I would charge 1/3 of the total, so it would be $22 at the next meet up.

I am now a suburbanite (to my dismay). I'll still prowl certain north side game shops (still work in Uptown), but most of my "reports" will be from the NW burbs (Mt. Prospect, Des Plaines, Palatine, Schaumburg). I dropped by a few of the Family Videos in the area, and the selection is sad. I stopped at the Game Crazy in Palatine (Rand and Dundee) and their selection is sparse; stuff still 30% off (grabbed an old strat guide—Two Worlds—and Sam & Max S1) and the clerk said they might go to 50% or 80% off before the store closes this month on the 25th.

[quote name='52club']I have a couple extra copies of Valkyria Chronicles (still sealed). I paid $22 (including tax) each at Wal-Mart. I picked them up in case any local CAGs want them. Just looking for $22, or if someone wants to be generous I would trade for a NFS Shift or Katamari Forever. I'm in Evanston, or can meet outside of my work in the downtown area.[/QUOTE]

I might be interested. I'll send you a pm tomorrow.

If anyone is able to price match the TRU buy 2 get 1 free at a local Bestbuy, please post your success/failures here.

The Aurora store seems always willing to PM so you guys might want to try there.

For those of you in the NW burbs, Crystal Lake Gamestops are running an unadvertised B2G1 free on used games and accessories. Was just in the one on Randall Road and the manager told me the deal will be running until the end of the month. He also said the other Crystal Lake location, NW Highway, is running the same deal.

I made a run through the west suburbs today to check out Fry's and some of the closing Gamecrazys. Fry's has absolute jackshit as far as the clearance titles from that thread go. My first time there and it feels like a MicroCenter on steroids. Incidentally I also stopped at the Microcenter on Ogden (I forget which burb) and they had ridiculously overpriced stuff. The GCs likewise had shit (2nd time a title I wanted off the shelf they didn't have) but one employee told me they go to 50% off tomorrow. All sales final so no return rebuy; take your chances waiting for 80%. Good hunting.

anyone want to take advantage of the buy 2 get 1 free for uncharted 2 at toys r us? anyone in the burbs who wont have to pay the high chicago bs tax? pm me

-d

Free Membership @ Play N' Trade - YMMV
I just came back from Play N' Trade in Cicero, just outside Chicago, and it seems that they are giving free membership to first-time shoppers. Usually the membership runs for $9.99 but when I was paying the employee asked if it was my first time at the store. When I replied yes he offered me a free membership. Just like Game Stop membership is good for 10% off used games and accessories.

This was from another Chicago CAG's thread, but i cant find it now!

Edit: credit goes to jalopez86.

Oh, yeah. Thanks for that slowdive21. I went in this afternoon. Their retro collection was pretty decent and they had plenty of used games for current gen systems. The only real problem was that nothing seemed to be under $9.99. They had a Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale but for an ultra CAG $20 for three games isn't worth the bite. They also put these nasty Play N' Trade stickers on the game disc. It doesn't cover any of the disc art but it's still pretty annoying to look at.

On a funny note: the store smelled like someone dropped a nasty deuce in the back. I started laughing about how disgusting it was. What made it worse was that they tried to cover it up with some air freshener. So instead of it smelling like a nasty deuce it smelled like cinnamon mixed in with a nasty deuce.

Just FYI - the Fry's in Downers Grove has the Wii Speak microphone for $9.90 (retails for $29.99). They had about 10-15 in stock. It's only available for in-store pickup on their website.

How're you guys doing on the GC closings? Most of the ones I've been to have crap, but today I scored 2 near mint guides for $5, Infinite Undiscovery and Soul Nomad. One for trade and one to keep (in that order)!

[quote name='dfg']How're you guys doing on the GC closings? Most of the ones I've been to have crap, but today I scored 2 near mint guides for $5, Infinite Undiscovery and Soul Nomad. One for trade and one to keep (in that order)![/QUOTE]

Oh no what one did you go to? I was going to pick up soul nomad.

Coming from a 28 year-old guy, this is going to sound pathetic, but I'm thinking about having a get together at my house sometime after my parents go back to Mexico. The only potential draw back is that it's in the NW suburbs. Although, it's close to the yellow line and can be reached by CTA and a little help by Pace. Maybe shortly after Black Friday would be good so we can see about trading/playing video games we got over that weekend.
This city's CAGsters could use some revitalization.

[quote name='Amerijapoxicano']Coming from a 28 year-old guy, this is going to sound pathetic, but I'm thinking about having a get together at my house sometime after my parents go back to Mexico. The only potential draw back is that it's in the NW suburbs. Although, it's close to the yellow line and can be reached by CTA and a little help by Pace. Maybe shortly after Black Friday would be good so we can see about trading/playing video games we got over that weekend.
This city's CAGsters could use some revitalization.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a cool idea.

A Black Friday after-party sounds cool. Would anyone be up for Texas Hold'em poker where we can contribute gameguides/cheap games into the grand prize pot? (I have a foldable table & chipset lying around that need to be used) Just a fun alternative unless your house has a tv and system in every room for all the CAGs haha. Please keep us posted.

I'll take rain over snow this time of year. Today was really nice actually. I'm dreading the inevitable drop in temp back down into the 40's :(

[quote name='Hybrid5006']WTF is up with the weather... seems like it's raining everyday.[/QUOTE]

Massive, slow-moving cold front combined with remnants of a hurricane that was near Baja. I really feel for the farmers, as they had problems planting earlier in the year, and now the harvest is messed up.

I know this is a long shot, but do any of you guys have an older version of PS3 firmware on a flash drive? I just want one that can earn trophies, but I do not want to risk updating to 3.0 or 3.01.

[quote name='Estebon']So none of you guys in the whole city is trying to the Bestbuy glitch? I can't believe it.[/QUOTE]

Didn't you already confirm it in the BB thread?

[quote name='Estebon']Anyone try the glitch at any chicago area BB's for the b2g1 deal? Any confirmation of where it works will be nice?[/QUOTE]

Glitch? Wha....?

[quote name='Amerijapoxicano']Coming from a 28 year-old guy, this is going to sound pathetic, but I'm thinking about having a get together at my house sometime after my parents go back to Mexico. The only potential draw back is that it's in the NW suburbs. Although, it's close to the yellow line and can be reached by CTA and a little help by Pace. Maybe shortly after Black Friday would be good so we can see about trading/playing video games we got over that weekend.
This city's CAGsters could use some revitalization.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me. I'll probably need to get rid of some games by that time. What burb is it exactly?

bread's done
Back