Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Monster Hunter Generations dev tidbits – DLC, no console plans, more

DJMax Encore heading to 3DS

djmax-encore.jpg
That's cool! Always happy to see more DJMAX stuff.

The Last Guardian director discusses dev period, transition to PS4, and more

IGN has published a new, eight-minute interview with The Last Guardian director Fumito Ueda

Three minutes of off-screen Black Rose Valkyrie gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeH2h8uUfAs

Watch More Attack on Titan PS4 Gameplay in English Directly from Koei Tecmo [off-screen]

Valkyria: Azure Revolution Gets One More Direct Feed Image Showing the Beautiful Brunhild

The King of Fighters XIV Looks Fast and Fluid in 99 Minutes of 60 FPS Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNgjLFyFUWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLW7lvlLhUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Ue03rrNys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Bp_0qqxqQ

Famitsu rated both Untold 1&2 as 36/40 (90% for those of you who are poor at math)... a score which the mainline games failed to surpass even once. Even the Amazon.jp reviews for Untold 1 are rated as 4/5. Also, if you look closer at Untold 2's lower Amazon review scores, it seems that that the majority of the disappointment was directed to issues regarding DLC.
And if you look at the 5 star reviews on Amazon, it's mostly people who didn't play the main series. And again, none of that equated to higher sales than these "lower" reviewed main games. It was aimed at those who weren't already fans. II, III, and IV all outsold Millenium Girl, and Fafnir Knight sold barely half of any of those.

And if you look at the 5 star reviews on Amazon, it's mostly people who didn't play the main series. And again, none of that equated to higher sales than these "lower" reviewed main games. It was aimed at those who weren't already fans. II, III, and IV all outsold Millenium Girl, and Fafnir Knight sold barely half of any of those.
I don't know if you remember your original post, but your barbs were directed towards reviews not sales. Also, I don't recall many games where the remakes or remasters which actually sold more than the original despite the remake being technically superior. Furthermore, each of the remakes allow players to select which mode the game is played in, as in you can actually play it with or without the story that you despise so much. This being the case, there should be nothing for you to complain about.

Not much to say about this week. Will be playing Overwatch and skipping these releases. Next week I may actually have to play something else for a bit here and there though.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are mostly PC/Steam with one PS4/Vita:
- Seduce Me 2: The Demon War (Visual Novel / Otome)

- Twinkle Star Sprites (SHMUP / Online)

- The Last Blade 2 (PS4/Vita | Fighting)

Weekly Releases (May 29th - June 4th)

One Piece: Burning Blood
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita, Xbox One
- Genre: Fighting / Action
- Demo: N/A
- Online: Yes

- Comments: PC version coming later in June, probably.

Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Action / Hack'n'Slash
- Comments: Already out on Vita. Will be up to 60FPS and include all DLC.

Anima: Gate of Memories
- Genre: Action RPG / Hack'n'Slash
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Not really Japanese, but eh. it kinda fits the thread.

Resette's Prescription ~Book of Memory, Swaying Scale~
- Genre: Point & Click
- Comments: Published by Sekai Project.

A Healer Only Lives Twice
- Genre: RPG / Action'y Kinda
- Comments: Published by Playism. Hard to label the genre.

Sakura Dungeon
- Genre: Visual Novel / First-Person Dungeon RPG
- Comments: I really didn't want to add this. It will also have an 18+ uncensor patch probably. Uncensored version at Denpasoft.

Past Releases

May 22nd - May 28th

May 15th - May 21st

May 8th - May 14th

May 1st - May 7th

April 24th - April 30th

I think I am going to have Overwatch hold me over to Star Ocean V and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE comes out.

My goal is to not start any more games besides maybe one of the free GwG for June, and then stick to one-two games from now until the end of the year. Between Star Ocean, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Persona 4 Golden, Witcher 3, Persona 5, Final Fantasy XV, there is a lot I want to play this year.

I don't know if you remember your original post, but your barbs were directed towards reviews not sales. Also, I don't recall many games where the remakes or remasters which actually sold more than the original despite the remake being technically superior.
Huh? My post talked specifically about the mainline fans and not enough non-fans picking up the remakes. First two sentences. That's literally all I was saying in my original post.

All I know is while I do want Untold 3....I'm crazy burnt out on those games. I think they released too close to each other (Untold 1 and 2). I am getting relatively burnt out on first person dungeon crawling games period, but I know at that time I was like EOU2....nah I have better things to play, than I buy it cheap when Best Buy put it on sale.

Edit: I didn't read what your post was actually quoting. I apologize.  

Still, I was a non-fan of the genre and of the series and I thought Untold 1 was excellent (course I still haven't finished the game).

Not much to say about this week. Will be playing Overwatch and skipping these releases. Next week I may actually have to play something else for a bit here and there though.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are mostly PC/Steam with one PS4/Vita:
- Seduce Me 2: The Demon War (Visual Novel / Otome)

- Twinkle Star Sprites (SHMUP / Online)

- The Last Blade 2 (PS4/Vita | Fighting)

Weekly Releases (May 29th - June 4th)

One Piece: Burning Blood
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita, Xbox One
- Genre: Fighting / Action

- Comments: PC version coming later in June, probably.

Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus
- Genre: Action / Hack'n'Slash
- Comments: Already out on Vita. Will be up to 60FPS and include all DLC.

Anima: Gate of Memories
- Genre: Action RPG / Hack'n'Slash
- Comments: Not really Japanese, but eh. it kinda fits the thread.

Resette's Prescription ~Book of Memory, Swaying Scale~
- Genre: Point & Click
- Comments: Published by Sekai Project.

A Healer Only Lives Twice
- Genre: RPG / Action'y Kinda
- Comments: Published by Playism. Hard to label the genre.

Sakura Dungeon
- Genre: Visual Novel / First-Person Dungeon RPG
- Comments: I really didn't want to add this. It will also have an 18+ uncensor patch probably. Uncensored version at Denpasoft.

Past Releases

May 22nd - May 28th

May 15th - May 21st

May 8th - May 14th

May 1st - May 7th

April 24th - April 30th
Why didn't you want to add Sakura Dungeon?

Why didn't you want to add Sakura Dungeon?
I'm just not particularly fond of series constantly outputting low effort games just to cash in. I can't see the series in any other way at this point, but at least they diversify their theme. Though I suppose they do what set out to do just fine for their audience.

It's not the only one that I wanted to not list, but I just felt like mentioning it this time. If it was free to play or your standard RPG Maker fare then I wouldn't have put it in the list at all. Though there are very rare exceptions to the RPG maker rule.

Is there any sites that list rarities of games? More so games discussed in this thread.

I made a list of physical copy games I still want to get because I had some free time (excluding future games), and I am trying to figure out if there is a way to see what games I should grab asap because of rarity and which ones I can wait on.

I felt your pains. Few games i wanted already rise up in price. I must waits little longer before it dropping down slowly.
I was a day too late for a decent Final Fantasy Tactics A2 price I believe....shot right up to $19.99 the day I wanted to order it.

Kinda why I stopped buying all these CE's outside of Hyperdimension's, except for the games I really plan to play. Most of them just seem to tank in price lately
Yeah I've been thinking it's time to start down sizing my collection. I have 2 bedroom closets full of stuff I'll never play.

Just posting an update on undead darlings. It's at the 50% and can use some more donations.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mrtired/undead-darlings-a-visual-novel-rpg-for-pc-and-ps4/updates

Poor Nights of Azure is tanking. Kinda glad I waited on that one
wish i would have waited, jumped when it was at 35 thinking it wouldnt get lower

Kinda why I stopped buying all these CE's outside of Hyperdimension's, except for the games I really plan to play. Most of them just seem to tank in price lately
i am feeling yah, gotten burned a little to much (last one was bravely second, first was better) and it usually isnt worth it for what they give anymore, will still if i have the money keep buying ce/le from xseed to support them though i got suckered into xtreme 3 for the vita and just got a to love ru trouble princess for 65% the ce, i know why it did poorly in jp

I'm in that boat. Had the look of Ar NoSurge, which I loved, and I was suckered into buying it with hopes I'd love it to. Ah well, it's not the dumbest LE I've ever bought...
yah have felt cheated with the tales ce's after they eventually go down in price, plus running out of room with some of those to keep buying, since i dont display the statues and what not they just sit in the box

Oh Akiba's Beat me wanty.....also on the sound of another beat em up...frankly to me Uppers looks terrible....gameplay looks like a mess. I honestly don't want it localized and I can see why the pre-orders weren't happening in Japan. I'm not a graphics stickler or anything but yeah those videos didn't look good to me.

Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator’s Stylish Is Educational And Looks Good

An editorial about Stylish Mode.

Monster Hunter Generations live stream #5 - Full Recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lfsE9ec168

Kirby: Planet Robobot “Robobot Rampage” trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVEx9nEb2ao

Final Fantasy XV: Kingsglaive Looks Absolutely Fantastic in New Trailers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cDVI-p2tng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU3mDPDstm8

Resident Evil 5 for PS4, Xbox One launches June 28

Oh Akiba's Beat me wanty.....also on the sound of another beat em up...frankly to me Uppers looks terrible....gameplay looks like a mess. I honestly don't want it localized and I can see why the pre-orders weren't happening in Japan. I'm not a graphics stickler or anything but yeah those videos didn't look good to me.
I've been waiting to see if Akiba's would get a sequel, or any type of similar release. I really enjoyed Akiba's Trip and almost bought it got the PS4 for another playthrough.

If the Japanese are crazier about their waifus than we are, you bet your ass they can throw a far stronger nerdrage tantrum than we can. EOU wasn't that strong a game, but EO2U is an outstanding Etrian product and easily one of the best in the series for challenge, class variety, balance, etc. They're pitching a fit because they don't like the existence of a story and had to scream (rightly) to get the classic mode into Untold 1.

You can't look me in the eye and say the Untold games, both far harder than EO4, are more entry-level than EO4. And I LOVE EO4.

Granted, after how weak EO1U was, I can understand skipping EO2U on first sight but in a sane world word of mouth would get around that it really is a huge improvement in every regard.

Akiba's Trip was fantastic. Uppers has all the style of a beat-em-up I want but... I've bought every Senran game and they are all pretty garbage except for the rhythm game. I have no faith in that studio to create a good action game.

I've been waiting to see if Akiba's would get a sequel, or any type of similar release. I really enjoyed Akiba's Trip and almost bought it got the PS4 for another playthrough.
Same team that made Way of the Samurai and Gladiator begins, baby. Not the same type of games but a lot of the design is very similar. Fewer waifus though.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

PS4 LOSES AGAIN KIDS
Why, because PC gets a game PS4 has had for a year?

bread's done
Back